Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Christianity's Compatibly with Science.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
hebrews when they write they connect words and that is how they tell its a song or poetry.

its called the acrostic.

Relatively simple acrostics may merely spell out the letters of the alphabet in order; such an acrostic may be called an 'alphabetical acrostic' or Abecedarius. These acrostics occur in the Lamentations of Jeremiah, Proverbs 31, 10-31, and in Psalms 9, 10, 25, 34, 37, 111, 112, 119 and 145 of the Hebrew Bible.[2] Notable among the acrostic Psalms are the long Psalm 119, which typically is printed in subsections named after the letters of the Hebrew alphabet, each of which is featured in that section; and Psalm 145, which is recited three times a day in the Jewish services.

from wikipedia

that isnt found in the book of genesis to my knowledge ,also inflections are used and genesis doenst have that

uh. if adam and eve werent the only men on the earth then what of the others?

that poses as problem for the thiestic guys as they have to say they werent worthy of a soul, yet could think and have abstract thoughts and a culture.

so to them i ask did God just let them not get to know him?

for by one man did sin enter and none else.

so to the non-cavinistic thiestic evolutionist that presents another problem

God ordians men to hell or heaven based on them not having a choice or chance to refuse him. when they are able to understand the world around them?

hebrews when they write they connect words and that is how they tell its a song or poetry.

its called the acrostic.

Relatively simple acrostics may merely spell out the letters of the alphabet in order; such an acrostic may be called an 'alphabetical acrostic' or Abecedarius. These acrostics occur in the Lamentations of Jeremiah, Proverbs 31, 10-31, and in Psalms 9, 10, 25, 34, 37, 111, 112, 119 and 145 of the Hebrew Bible.[2] Notable among the acrostic Psalms are the long Psalm 119, which typically is printed in subsections named after the letters of the Hebrew alphabet, each of which is featured in that section; and Psalm 145, which is recited three times a day in the Jewish services.

from wikipedia

that isnt found in the book of genesis to my knowledge ,also inflections are used and genesis doenst have that

uh. if adam and eve werent the only men on the earth then what of the others?

that poses as problem for the thiestic guys as they have to say they werent worthy of a soul, yet could think and have abstract thoughts and a culture.

so to them i ask did God just let them not get to know him?

for by one man did sin enter and none else.

so to the non-cavinistic thiestic evolutionist that presents another problem

God ordians men to hell or heaven based on them not having a choice or chance to refuse him. when they are able to understand the world around them?

I agree with you so far as to say you can't have a literal Adam and a Literal eve and be a Theistic Evolutionist. I think a Theistic Evolutionist accepts that some things (in fact many things) in the bible are not literal. Maybe to you that does not make them a Christian, but they can still believe in a divine power and follow the teachings of Jesus.

As for the acrostic, I don't believe (although I am very lacking in biblical knowledge) that calling a Bat a Bird can be anything but a lack of scientific understanding.

I agree with you so far as to say you can't have a literal Adam and a Literal eve and be a Theistic Evolutionist. I think a Theistic Evolutionist accepts that some things (in fact many things) in the bible are not literal. Maybe to you that does not make them a Christian, but they can still believe in a divine power and follow the teachings of Jesus.

As for the acrostic, I don't believe (although I am very lacking in biblical knowledge) that calling a Bat a Bird can be anything but a lack of scientific understanding.

i havent been able to find what the actually hebrew word is, some words often dont translate well and sometimes we english speakers dont have a word for something have.

particulary old english
and just because (if you are right) doesnt mean that god didnt tell them openly when and where he did things.

he didnt go into great lengths to explain how he did it as i stated earlier we would focus on that and less on who he is.

eons would pass and we cant ever grasp his might and power as he isnt confined to a limited space for brain power.

shoot english itsself so limited when you compare it to the other languages.

i never said that a theisitc evolutionists isnt saved just in err on some doctrines.

knowing how god did it all isnt a requirement for salvation.

Jumping in here,

Happy New Years everyone! and Merry Christmas!

I'd say that Christianity, as well as religion in general, is incompatible with science, due to the fact that science is based on observation and evidence, and Christianity is based on revelation and faith.

The history of the world, and certainly the history of the west since the enlightenment, IS the history of science and reason obliterating territory that was once held exclusively by religion.

This trend is constant. Ask yourself, in what area of human inquiry, where we once had a scientific explanation for a particular process or phenomenae, have we abandoned the scientific explanation in favor of a religious one?

It doesn't happen.

For the past 500 years or so, religion has been steadily losing the battle on all fronts: Cosmology, astronomy, geology, biology, medicine, etc.

Religion was the beginning of a kind of proto-philosophy, from a time when people didn't understand weather patterns, disease, or natural disasters. Being pattern-seeking animals, we noticed things like the fact that as summer turned to autumn, and autumn to winter, the days got shorter and colder, until at one point, they began to lengthen again, and spring was around the corner. We didn't know that the earth was a ball careening around it's star, following the laws of newtonian physics. we didn't know that we lived on a cooling planet with shifting tectonic plates, which caused volcanoes and earthquakes. We had no understanding of disease and famine, and naturally sought-out explanations for these things based on an imperfect understanding of natural phenomena.

Science builds upon itself, retaining ideas that are able to withstand scrutiny and debate. If a scientific idea is proven false, it is abandoned in favor of a more accurate one, which in turn is scrutinized and debated. This is called "Falsifiability", and this is the hallmark of all scientific theories. If something cannot be proven false, then it, by definition, is not scientific.

Christianity, and religion in general, functions nothing like this. It doesn't pit observation and evidence against what we believe. It doesn't test its claims, and it isn't falsifiable. (Not being able to prove that invisible, microscopic unicorns exist, for example, is not de-facto evidence FOR their existence.)

Christianity/Religion is also beginning to lose the morality battle.

Who among us, Christian, Jew, Muslim or Atheist, believes that slavery is a moral institution? Yet the God of the Bible clearly expects us to own slaves. Who among us believes that if a woman is not a virgin on her wedding day, that she should be brought before her father and stoned to death?

Clearly even our morality does not come from the scriptures, since we pick and choose which moral precepts to follow, showing that we have our own innate moral sense, and huge chunks of the Bible are dedicated to simply coming up with a coherent list of reasons to kill our neighbor.

We are social animals, and things like "the golden rule" are obvious even to children. Cooperation is important. Murder is bad. So are lying and theft. All of these are things that are destructive to the social fabric, and civilization simply cannot exist unless there is some agreement on this.

In closing, and as an olive branch, I'll concede that Science and Christianity are similar, I suppose, in that they both attempt/attempted to answer questions about the world based on the information available to them.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back