Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Church

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
J

Johny

I have a question about the Catholic church or any other Christian church for that matter. Is it sinful not to go to Church? I haven't gone to Church in years.

The reason I ask this is because I'm a member at another Christian forum where someone asked if not going no Church (Catholic) was a sin. Everyone said it was, some even went as far as saying that Hell was the result.

This just doesn't seem right to me. Is there any scripture concerning this?

Johny said:
I have a question about the Catholic church or any other Christian church for that matter. Is it sinful not to go to Church? I haven't gone to Church in years.

The reason I ask this is because I'm a member at another Christian forum where someone asked if not going no Church (Catholic) was a sin. Everyone said it was, some even went as far as saying that Hell was the result.

This just doesn't seem right to me. Is there any scripture concerning this?

No requirement Johnny...It can be a place to learn...good and bad, it's as simple as that.

I don't think God is keeping an attendance card on you....however, he does keep an eye on you and what is in your heart...

No, you won't go to hell if you don't attend a church building. But keep in mind that 'the church' is the people, not the building. Is it easy to remain in the word, faithful, and devoted to God if you're surrounded 24/7 by sin and evil? Heck no, Its a lot easier to justify sin and fall into a life of sin because the flesh is always looking for a way to make it a little more acceptable..... which is why many people choose to go to church. You learn lessons to apply to everyday life and it keeps you reading your bible, which is a MUST. Plus, in never hurts to be in the company of others that believe as you do because prayer, support, and love will always help you out... you might as well get used to it cus if you're truly a Christian you'll be with them eternally anyway lol

Fulton Sheen's Warrior said:
+JMJ+

Are you Catholic?

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not, but yes I'm Catholic.

I just felt that Church should be a place where you want to go, where the association of obligation shouldn't be present. I think that kind of attitude drives away people, but that's just my opinion.

On a side note, I'm not a troll or anything. :) I belong to two other forums and have school, so I'm pretty busy. Although I do plan on posting here more.

Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as you see the day approaching.

2 Thessalonians 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

Acts 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their food with gladness and sincerity of heart,

1 Timothy 3:5 (For if a man knows not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

Ephesians 2:19 Now therefore you are no more strangers and sojourners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the next day; and continued his speech until midnight.

StoveBolts: Sounds pretty clear to me as well. God has told us not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together. To not do so is a sin against God and as Hebrews 10:26 points out, "For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins."As starbyfar pointed out, the church is the people not a building. So when Christians meet (the church), God expects His children to be there.

Hi Collier!

Fantastic post and I couldn't agree more with what you have said.

I saddens me when I think how somebody could alienate themselves from the Body of Christ when we are clearly called to edify and serve one another as Christ serves us.

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Yet, how can we serve Christ in the manner that he served us if we don't congregate as Brothers and Sisters in Christ? Do you know what I mean?

I love the Psalms, tell me, does this speak to you Collier?

Psalms 84:4 Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah.

I think if we look at the hebrew word house, it really means family in the lighter sense of the word. Here's a take from the Treasury of David. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. (keeping the Church in mind)

Treasury of David said:
Ps 84:4
EXPOSITION
Ver. 4. Blessed are they that dwell in thy house. Those he esteems to be highly favoured who are constantly engaged in divine worship -- the canons residentiary, yea, the pew openers, the menials who sweep and dust. To come and go is refreshing, but to abide in the place of prayer must be heaven below. To be the guests of God, enjoying the hospitalities of heaven, set apart for holy work, screened from a noisy world, and familiar with sacred things -- why this is surely the choicest heritage a son of man can possess.

They will be still praising thee. So near to God, their very life must be adoration. Surely their hearts and tongues never cease from magnifying the Lord. We fear David here drew rather a picture of what should be than of what is; for those occupied daily with the offices needful for public worship are not always among the most devout; on the contrary, "the nearer the church the further from God." Yet in a spiritual sense this is most true, for those children of God who in spirit abide even in his house, are also ever full of the praises of God. Communion is the mother of adoration. They fail to praise the Lord who wander far from him, but those who dwell in him are always magnifying him.

Selah. In such an occupation as this we might be content to remain for ever. It is worth while to pause and meditate upon the prospect of dwelling with God and praising him throughout eternity.

Hey Stove!Yea, it speaks to me and also what David said in Psalms 122:1, "I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord." Why aren't people glad to be able to go and worship God with other Christians?

Great post Collier and a great question. Concerning your question, I’m sure that you could better answer it than I, but from my perspective I can only recall a time when I was mired in sin and that annoying, yet gentle, persistent knocking at my heart kept drawing me closer and closer to the truth (Revelation 3:20). And that truth was simply what a wretched soul I was.

There was a time that I did not attend church, yet I thought that I was a good christian, and it’s because I knew of Jesus, but I didn’t really know Jesus. My heart was in the right place, but my body was in the wrong place and hence, Satan held his grip on me. When I first accepted Christ in my life and was baptized into Christ, it was like
Hebrews 4:9-10 There remains therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also has ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
And I found my rest. But I neglected the next verse out of ignorance…
Hebrews 4:11 Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.
And fall I did… and as a result, that labor, became a work instead of a rest.

But you asked," Why aren't people glad to be able to go and worship God with other Christians? And so I answer:

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Luke 13:24 Strive to enter in at the narrow gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

So it seems, many attempt to enter the narrow gate, the inner most holy of holies, yet we, sinners, seem to take pride in that sin… and miss the mark time and time again because we do not understand God's rest is active and progressive.

Growing in Christ is active, it’s not passive. Salvation it appears is two fold and consists of an end prize (for a lack of better wording) of being with Christ in heaven in the full presence of His glory and the daily salvation that is actively confessing our sins and striving… building that relationship with Christ that we might find that rest spoken about in every aspect of our lives here on earth.

Well, sorry for rambling…

starbyfar said:
No, you won't go to hell if you don't attend a church building. But keep in mind that 'the church' is the people, not the building. Is it easy to remain in the word, faithful, and devoted to God if you're surrounded 24/7 by sin and evil? Heck no, Its a lot easier to justify sin and fall into a life of sin because the flesh is always looking for a way to make it a little more acceptable..... which is why many people choose to go to church. You learn lessons to apply to everyday life and it keeps you reading your bible, which is a MUST. Plus, in never hurts to be in the company of others that believe as you do because prayer, support, and love will always help you out... you might as well get used to it cus if you're truly a Christian you'll be with them eternally anyway lol

Thank you for your post. I am deeply involved with Jesus' work which is to reach out to non-believers and incourageing other believers to be fiathful to obey His teachings.

I don't attend organized church because I found it is not efficient and effective the way they are operating their church.

God started work mightily in my life after I stopped attending church building.

You are right in saying that most people attend church becasue it is acceptable for conventional churches. They are striving to make you feel guilty if you don't attend the church building. Some out rightly say that if you don't attend church you are not a Christian!

If you don't attend church you are religeously incorrect.

If the churches are not in line with the Lord we should not cooperate with them. We don't attend the church just for the sake of "attedning the church". The churches should respect each indivisual's discernment instead of bullying their interpretaions of "church".

+JMJ+

Sorry Johny, I guess I didn't specify. Yes I was speaking to you.

It is Catholic teaching that to miss Mass without a good reason (e.g. Serious illness, can't find a Catholic Church, caring for someone ill etc.) is a mortal sin (Punishable by Hell).

In Sacred Scripture our Blessed Lord at the Last Supper says, "Do this in commemoration of me" (Luke 22:19) Do this. This is as much a command as an invitation.
When I was a kid, if my parents told me to do something, it meant it must be done.
When Christ says we must do something we must do it.
Yes, I understand where you are coming from when you say that people are turned away by the term "obligation". But, are we not obligated to do as Christ commands?

Do you love Him? I'm most certain that you do. Keep his commandments.

God Love You!

+JMJ+

It is Catholic teaching that to miss Mass without a good reason (e.g. Serious illness, can't find a Catholic Church, caring for someone ill etc.) is a mortal sin (Punishable by Hell).

In Sacred Scripture our Blessed Lord at the Last Supper says, "Do this in commemoration of me" (Luke 22:19) Do this. This is as much a command as an invitation.
When I was a kid, if my parents told me to do something, it meant it must be done.
Yes, I understand where you are coming from when you say that people are turned away by the term "obligation". But, are we not obligated to do as Christ commands?

God Love You!

Hello,

I understand what you're saying and I've heard it before, but there is NO doubt in my mind that I'm going to Heaven. I may choose to go to Church again, but that won't be what grants me my salvation. My faith in Christ and my acceptance of his death for my sins is what grants me my salvation. The Bible does not say that I'm going to Hell. What about other Christians faiths who do not practice the communion, are they going to Hell too?

The Catholic church isn't deciding my fate, God almighty does. There is no reason for me to go to Hell.

On a side note, this negativity truely depresses me when talking about God. Christians telling each other that they are going to Hell, give me a break. When did they become God?

This is nothing against you Fulton, but I don't like having God and depressive feelings together in my mind. :)

You are Catholic, and yet you hold to faith alone? Something doesnt add up...

Bear with me, Im not condemning, but I often sound rather medical when Im using any other means of communication that isnt talking...

"Say to the people of Israel, `You shall keep my sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the LORD, sanctify you.
Exodus 31:13 RSV

Why do you not go to church on the Sabbath? Do you believe in the Real Presence in the Eucharist? If you do, what benefit is there in staying away from such a great sacrament of grace? God commanded us to keep the sabbath holy. To not is to violate a portion of God's law. I urge you to go to church. Sunday morning, or even the Saturday vigil... esp. if your church has a good music group. There is always singing at Mass. And the Tridentine Mass (latin mass) is ALWAYS beautiful! I wish I could go to that!

And you are right in that going to church wont grant you your salvation. But it will grant you grace to come to salvation. Just imagine that when you die, He will be asking you "why did you not come to see me?" Thats a powerful thought. It gets me to adoration, and Mass, and a whole multitude of places. Heck, its my lenten resolution to adore the Lord in the Eucharist more and more.

As for other Christian faiths, well, the Church holds that if you posses the fullness of the faith (are catholic or recognize its primacy) then it is a damnable sin. But thats an in-house issue. As for the other Christians who love God with all their hearts, God will deal with them in a just and merciful manner. Will He send them to hell for not being Catholic? I'd have trouble believing that. So, we say "let God deal with them as He sees fit. He knows their hearts. We have our own salvation to work out." So, I would urge you to return to church, to look into the Real Presence and pray. Find a good catholic to talk to and hash things out with. (not a trad. I like them, but some are ridiculous!)

Yes I'm Catholic, but I'm only 17 years old. This whole thing is pretty new to me, because when I used to go to Church I was too young to understand what was going on.

The way that the necessity of going to Church was presented to me was very poor and angered me. I don't need other people, who are just as sinful as I am, telling me that I'm going to Hell. Quite frankly, it turned me off to Church, I just hope it doesn't continue.

ah. well, this isnt the best place to talk catholicism. im pretty coherent in it though. Im 20 years old. Didnt come to the faith really til I was 18. So, Im a little bit of a newbie by some ppls standards. Used to be baptist long ago. Then got first communion and confirmation mostly because I went to catholic school. did that when i was 16. still didnt like the Church and was highly critical. woulda fit in on this board quite well actuaylly, but then I went to college and my perceptions of christianity were challenged and i was forced to look into things, to ask questions, to dispel my misconceptions of the Church. Then i started calling myself Catholic.

Johny said:
+JMJ+

God Love You!

Hello,

I understand what you're saying and I've heard it before, but there is NO doubt in my mind that I'm going to Heaven. I may choose to go to Church again, but that won't be what grants me my salvation. My faith in Christ and my acceptance of his death for my sins is what grants me my salvation. The Bible does not say that I'm going to Hell. What about other Christians faiths who do not practice the communion, are they going to Hell too?

The Catholic church isn't deciding my fate, God almighty does. There is no reason for me to go to Hell.

On a side note, this negativity truely depresses me when talking about God. Christians telling each other that they are going to Hell, give me a break. When did they become God?

This is nothing against you Fulton, but I don't like having God and depressive feelings together in my mind. :)

Here is your problem Johnny.

Heb 13
17: Obey your leaders and submit to them; for they are keeping watch over your souls, as men who will have to give account. Let them do this joyfully, and not sadly, for that would be of no advantage to you.

When you come to grips with this passage we can talk. I don't know whether you are going to hell or not and my PM did not indicate that. Sounds like you have perhaps had some bad instruction. However I don't rule out the possibility that you have some issues with submission to authority as well. God has placed authorities over us and they many times tell us what is good for us. Did you read my PM? You call yourself Catholic yet seem to think yourself wiser than 2000 years of Church teaching. That is prideful I am sorry to say. The scriptures tell us "the CHURCH is the pillar and support of the truth". On this board it seems the individual with his bible is.

Your in my prayers.

Blessings

I'm sorry Thessalonian and belovedwolfofgod for not responding to your PMs (thank you), but I only noticed them a few minutes ago and then I tried responding and all I got was "error". Anyways, I talked to my mother and we will start going to Church again, hopefully I'll feel better about all of this after I start attending again.

gingercat, thank you for your PM also, I know how you feel. I've decided to at least give Chruch a try, it may be for the best.

Although I am still not convinced that not attending church results in Hell.

Johnny

First of all do not buy that "Obey the authorities" bit. That is so taken out of context to force believers into submission it is sad. Jesus said that the kings of the gentiles lord authrority over other, but that we are not to like that.

The true church leaders, leads by example and does not need to tell you to obey him. Nor would he think you had to. He would simply live in a way the you repsected and wanted to be like.

The church is not a place, if you asked me I say NEVER GO BACK !!! That whole institutional thing is a killer. The church are people, and you are the church if you are in Christ.

Rather then GO just BE the church and you will become a true Church leader.

http://www.ntrf.org
http://www.eastvalleyhousechurch.org

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back