Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Common sense vs faith with regards to waiting upon the Lord

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

Rather than asking two questions on one thread I've decided to create this.

Should a Christian at any point in their demonstration of faith forgo faith and apply common sense? For instance, a couple waited 25 yrs upon the Lord for children...and yet the barrenness is still there. They prayed and applied faith, all they could - no positive result. And they are getting older and weaker; and at a point they decided to say goodbye to faith and go for adoption.

Sorry for the term 'common sense'

It's a lot like the pastor in the town that was flooding. As the water had risen up to his waist, he had faith in God to keep him safe and alive while he rescued other people. Along came a guy in a rowboat and told the pastor to get in so he won't drown. The pastor said "No, God will take care of me. I have to help all these other people." The man rowed away to safety.

A little while later, as the water was up to his chest along came a man in a canoe who called to the pastor and said "Reverend, get in my canoe with me and I'll save you!" The pastor simply said no again, he still had to try to find more people to save and still had faith God will protect him.

Pretty soon the water was up to his neck and a guy in an outboard boat came speeding up and stopped, begging the pastor to get in. But still the pastor said "No, I have faith in God to take care of me. I need to look for more people to rescue. God will watch over me."

In a little while the water was over his head and all the people and boats had all gone away to save themselves. The pastor swam and swam until he was just too tired to swim anymore. Exhausted, he finally drowned under the flood waters.

On arriving in heaven, the pastor approached God and asked: "Father, I trusted you to take care of me. Why did you let me drown in the flood?" God looked at him and said: "My dear son, I sent THREE boats to save you, but you wouldn't get in any of them!"

Rather than asking two questions on one thread I've decided to create this.

Should a Christian at any point in their demonstration of faith forgo faith and apply common sense? For instance, a couple waited 25 yrs upon the Lord for children...and yet the barrenness is still there. They prayed and applied faith, all they could - no positive result. And they are getting older and weaker; and at a point they decided to say goodbye to faith and go for adoption.

Sorry for the term 'common sense'
First, I'd like to quote a former high school teacher I had waaaaay back when. One of his favorite sayings was, "Common sense is not so common." We aren't born with common sense. It is learned understanding.

Second to your question. In the case of Abraham and Sarah, God had revealed to Abraham that he would have children with Sarah. Did God reveal to this couple that they would not remain barren and that they should not adopt?

Some thoughts I've recently had on a real life issue of mine concerning how long to wait.

At what point do we realize God is saying "no, I'm not going to do this for you"? If he never promised to help to begin with, it would seem to me you are free make your own moves any time one feels is best as there is nothing to wait for accept a "maybe he will maybe he won't help". Flip a coin? Wait a certain "biblical length of time, like 40days? That may or may not be a silly way of dealing with it, IDK. Go with your gut on a time limit? Ask for a sign of his intentions? Did XXX try that? Signs were granted back then. Not sure the scripture but the Fleece and the Dew come to mind.

Closer to home for your creation, God promised Abraham a child and had it not been for Abraham losing faith due to his old age, that may have been an easy one to just wait for because he had a promise but unless you left that out, XXX wasn't promised that, that does leave XXX in bad position or at least an unsure position.

One other thing we need to know before considering why God didn't help in the first place. Part of the deal between God and Abraham was "If you obey me and always do right" (I'd say that's part of the deal if we expect God to help us, at least in most cases). I assume so but should ask, was that done in the situation you created?

One of our pastors whom I discovered lately is in his late 60's or early 70's (mere guess - judging from his look) adopted children. And of course the wife should be over 50, I think.

I just realised they adopted the second baby. The first should be 3 or 4 yo. When I asked my friend about the children he told me: 'They did late adoption.' I believe they must have done the waiting-upon-the-Lord thing.

two things are true, considering the reply of one of our posters: did God promise you a child? Was there a condition?

the other man I know, a very close friend of mine, told me God told him he'd not have biological children. It was silly to me at first.

The wife really got pregnant - but the baby didnt live. Today he's great children - not biological.

You can not come to a true conclusion with this story for none of us can truly know where their hearts were towards God and how true their faith was or if they even presented this in prayer in such a way that would deem Gods help.
We can go to God and cry and scream and complain for eternity and this does not get the attention of God. Bring His word and promises into the picture and now you have a different story.

People tend to set a time frame on answered prayer meaning if it does not happen in a certain amount of time it is not Gods will and that is nothing but stupidity. Gods answers to Prayer are yes and amen BUT you got to know His word and use His word and live by His word and know His word. Every one says oh I have faith but the truth is not every one has learned how to stand in their faith with out swaying.....

Thanks. I wish to believe that the couples have really prayed and have been prayed for. The later openly confessed that no one should visit him for counseling or prayers that he has settled with God on the issue. He is fine (seems to be) not having biological babies; not his wife (as is typical of most women).

The first couple, they are really well advanced in age. No idea what happened along their faith journey. I think at her age...the woman should be in her menopause - dunno. But really it seems that the only reason they adopted babies at such old age is that the woman's time is up - biologically speaking. Seems the faith thing aint necessary anymore.

I'm really confused myself. I really feel for them.

I think the same applies to spinsters and bachelors. There seems to be a true step: go for whoever you see - if you must have one. Im speaking on marrital terms. Sorry for the diversion

Something is either Gods will or it isnt and I dont sweat it.I know as a human there is only so much I can do about certain things.So Ill bring something to God ..maybe a few times over a stretch of time but I eventually drop it and just live my life with him.Hes got it, he has heard me say it, now its simply either his will or not.If he has any instructions I know he will make those clear to me but if not Im not into guessing games.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back