Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Growth Daily Verses

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Before I post my verse, I just wanted to say that I love all of the verses so far about love and marriage since I too will soon be tying the knot. It's just all in the matter of when. Anyway, after the horrible day I have been having, I really don't think that it it's a coincidence that I found this verse in my Message Bible in the book of John. Chapter five verse twenty-four; Jesus says,..."It's urgent that you listen carefully to this. Anyone here right now who believes what I am saying and aligns himself with the Father, who in fact has put me in charge, has at this very moment has the real, lasting life and is no longer condemned to be an outsider."

I need a bit of guidance with this please.

Philippians 2: 12-14

12. Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

13. For it is God that works in you both to will and to do for His good plesure.

14. Do all things without complaining and disputing

Work out your own salvation
For it is God who works in you.

I am taking this as meaning we should follow what we truly believe in after being guided by the Holy Spirit, to want to obey the Holy Spirit and to actually do it. Also that we will not all be led to do the same works, but each one to be where God wants us. ????

I'm not sure what the disputing is in verse 14 ??

I need a bit of guidance with this please.

Philippians 2: 12-14

12. Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling

13. For it is God that works in you both to will and to do for His good plesure.

14. Do all things without complaining and disputing

Work out your own salvation
For it is God who works in you.

I am taking this as meaning we should follow what we truly believe in after being guided by the Holy Spirit, to want to obey the Holy Spirit and to actually do it. Also that we will not all be led to do the same works, but each one to be where God wants us. ????

I'm not sure what the disputing is in verse 14 ??
Start here. More to come in a bit. https://www.desiringgod.org/messages/i-act-the-miracle

Papa Zoom my mobile won't let me open links any more. I don't know why but I can only use my bookmarks. It tells me I have opened more than 16 tabs. I will have to try and get it sorted.
I’ll get on my computer in a sec. I’m on the I pad.

No rush Papa. It is turned 1.20 am here and I have to be up very early. Thank you for your help.

The entire link is best to read but here's the highlights:
This means that the link between the cross and my conquered sin is a Holy-Spirit empowered will. Listen to these texts that describe this reality:

• Romans 7:6: “We died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.” Iserve in the newness of the Spirit.
  • Romans 8:13: “By the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body.” Iput sin to death, by the Spirit.
  • Galatians 2:20: “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” The life I now live . . . Christ lives in me.
  • 1 Peter 4:11: “Whoever serves, let him do it as one who serves by the strength that God supplies — in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ.” I serve, but in the strength that Godsupplies. And it is a blood-bought supply.
  • 1 Corinthians 15:10: “By the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.” Iworked. But it was the grace of God that was working in my working.
“Our will is empowered by another will — the will of the Spirit, of Christ, and of God.”​
In every single case, I am working. I am willing. I am serving. I am putting sin to death. My will is engaged. But in every case, my will is empowered by another will, the will of the Spirit, the will of Christ, the will of God, the will of grace.

Work Out Your Salvation

The text that broke through was Philippians 2:12–13:

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.​
I saw three things in a fresh light.

1. I saw afresh that the verb, “work out you salvation” (Greek katergazesthe) means produce, or bring about, or effect. And Peter O’Brien in his Philippians commentary sums it up with the phrase “continuous, sustained, strenuous effort.” As dangerous as this language is, it is biblical. “Bring about your salvation.” “Produce your salvation.” “Effect your salvation by continuous, sustained, strenuous, effort.”
I knew that was one key strategy that had given me victory in the area of sexual temptation. So why not in the other sins of my life?

1. I saw afresh that the salvation I was to work out was not only the large reality of total deliverance, but also the concrete reality of salvation from anger, and salvation from self-pity, and salvation from blaming, and salvation from sullenness.
So I resolved that I would work out my salvation from these sins. I would bring about deliverance from anger and self-pity and blaming and sullenness.

1. And third, I saw afresh the connection between fear and trembling on the one hand and God working in me on the other. “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.”
Fear and Trembling

Why should there be fear and trembling as I attack my sin and bring about salvation from self-pity? The reason given in the text is not a threat. It’s a gift. Work and will to kill your sin, and do it with fear and trembling, because God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, redeemer, justifier, sustainer, Father, lover is so close to you that your working and willing are his working and willing.

“God Almighty is in you. God is the one in you willing. God is the one in you working.”​
Tremble at this breathtaking thought. God Almighty is in you. God is the one in you willing. God is the one in you working. My “continuous, sustained, strenuous” effort is not only being carried out in the very presence of all-holy God, but is the very continuous, sustained, strenuous effort of God himself. I am not waiting for a miracle. I am acting a miracle. My action is God’s action in fighting my sin. My willing is God’s willing.

No rush Papa. It is turned 1.20 am here and I have to be up very early. Thank you for your help.
So I will give an example from my own life. Areas in my life that I must guard against, I work against, in concert with the Spirit empowering me to work against those temptations that plague us all. Pride is one. Resist the devil and he will flee from you! We resist...we do that. But we are given the power to resist from God. Here's a chart Piper offers:
Fight with A.N.T.H.E.M.
  • AAvoid.
  • N — Say No! within five seconds.
  • TTurn to something magnificent, like Christ crucified.
  • HHold the pure thing in the mind until the dirty thing is gone.
  • EEnjoy the greater pleasure of the blood-bought promises of God.
  • MMove on to meaningful Christ-exalting activity.
Joseph did this when he ran away from Potiphars wife. He tried to avoid her and then finally when she insisted (he sleep with her) he said no and ran away. We can do this too. We have the power of the Spirit to resist. But only if we cultivate our spiritual life. A garden grows when it is tended. The same with our spiritual life. Left unattended, weeds grow and can take over. ;)

Hope that all makes sense!

I have a long one today. But it's a great number of verses. Love is the answer to so many of our questions!

Division is a major problem in the world. We divide over politics, race, class, and looks. The list goes on.

Sadly, we divide in our churches. Even in our congregations. But what does the Bible say we ought to do?

Romans 12:9 'Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; '

We ought to genuinely love others. Regardless of our differences. Oh God, search me for any hypocracy in my life and convict me and change me!

Here's the ESV of those verses:
9Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 10Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.

We ought to outdo one another in showing honor to others. And our love needs to be genuine. Real. True. Heart felt! This is only possible with God! Love is to be sincere and active (the Amplified version says this!)

The only way I can love is if God loves through me! And love is an action (not a feeling).

The entire verses in context is best to read. 9-21.
9Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; 11not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;

12rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, 13contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.

14Bless those who persecute Two early mss do not contain youyou; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.

16Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. 17Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men.

18If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. 19Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "vengeance is mine, I will repay," says the Lord.

20"but if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head." 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Love never fails! 1 Corinthians 13:8

In Christ, ~Papa

Even though I'm currently in the book of John, I was searching for a verse having to do with what I'm going through right now and I found this;

Psalm 34:18 "The Lord is close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." So short, so simple, yet that is exactly what I needed to hear.

The entire link is best to read but here's the highlights:
This means that the link between the cross and my conquered sin is a Holy-Spirit empowered will. Listen to these texts that describe this reality:

• Romans 7:6: “We died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.” Iserve in the newness of the Spirit.
  • Romans 8:13: “By the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body.” Iput sin to death, by the Spirit.
  • Galatians 2:20: “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” The life I now live . . . Christ lives in me.
  • 1 Peter 4:11: “Whoever serves, let him do it as one who serves by the strength that God supplies — in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ.” I serve, but in the strength that Godsupplies. And it is a blood-bought supply.
  • 1 Corinthians 15:10: “By the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.” Iworked. But it was the grace of God that was working in my working.
“Our will is empowered by another will — the will of the Spirit, of Christ, and of God.”​
In every single case, I am working. I am willing. I am serving. I am putting sin to death. My will is engaged. But in every case, my will is empowered by another will, the will of the Spirit, the will of Christ, the will of God, the will of grace.

Work Out Your Salvation

The text that broke through was Philippians 2:12–13:

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.​
I saw three things in a fresh light.

1. I saw afresh that the verb, “work out you salvation” (Greek katergazesthe) means produce, or bring about, or effect. And Peter O’Brien in his Philippians commentary sums it up with the phrase “continuous, sustained, strenuous effort.” As dangerous as this language is, it is biblical. “Bring about your salvation.” “Produce your salvation.” “Effect your salvation by continuous, sustained, strenuous, effort.”
I knew that was one key strategy that had given me victory in the area of sexual temptation. So why not in the other sins of my life?

1. I saw afresh that the salvation I was to work out was not only the large reality of total deliverance, but also the concrete reality of salvation from anger, and salvation from self-pity, and salvation from blaming, and salvation from sullenness.
So I resolved that I would work out my salvation from these sins. I would bring about deliverance from anger and self-pity and blaming and sullenness.

1. And third, I saw afresh the connection between fear and trembling on the one hand and God working in me on the other. “Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.”
Fear and Trembling

Why should there be fear and trembling as I attack my sin and bring about salvation from self-pity? The reason given in the text is not a threat. It’s a gift. Work and will to kill your sin, and do it with fear and trembling, because God Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, redeemer, justifier, sustainer, Father, lover is so close to you that your working and willing are his working and willing.

“God Almighty is in you. God is the one in you willing. God is the one in you working.”​
Tremble at this breathtaking thought. God Almighty is in you. God is the one in you willing. God is the one in you working. My “continuous, sustained, strenuous” effort is not only being carried out in the very presence of all-holy God, but is the very continuous, sustained, strenuous effort of God himself. I am not waiting for a miracle. I am acting a miracle. My action is God’s action in fighting my sin. My willing is God’s willing.

I have never seen these two verses explained in such detail. God continually working so hard within us, He certainly is a God of love.
Thank you so much Papa for the work and effort you put into explaining for me

So I will give an example from my own life. Areas in my life that I must guard against, I work against, in concert with the Spirit empowering me to work against those temptations that plague us all. Pride is one. Resist the devil and he will flee from you! We resist...we do that. But we are given the power to resist from God. Here's a chart Piper offers:
Fight with A.N.T.H.E.M.
  • AAvoid.
  • N — Say No! within five seconds.
  • TTurn to something magnificent, like Christ crucified.
  • HHold the pure thing in the mind until the dirty thing is gone.
  • EEnjoy the greater pleasure of the blood-bought promises of God.
  • MMove on to meaningful Christ-exalting activity.
Joseph did this when he ran away from Potiphars wife. He tried to avoid her and then finally when she insisted (he sleep with her) he said no and ran away. We can do this too. We have the power of the Spirit to resist. But only if we cultivate our spiritual life. A garden grows when it is tended. The same with our spiritual life. Left unattended, weeds grow and can take over. ;)

Hope that all makes sense!

Love that A.N.T.H.E. M. I am going to write it down.

Thank you for the time you spent, and yes it all makes sense.

God Bless You

Last edited:
Even though I'm currently in the book of John, I was searching for a verse having to do with what I'm going through right now and I found this;

Psalm 34:18 "The Lord is close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." So short, so simple, yet that is exactly what I needed to hear.

That is a lovely verse April thank you for sharing it. Another one to memorize

Love that A.N.T.H.E. M. I am going to write it down.

Thank you for the time you spent, and yes it all makes sense.

God Bless You

I appreciate that you are here in this forum reading and sharing. It's encouraging to me. God bless you too!

I've got a perfect Bible verse for the day!!

James 1:17; Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

1 Corinthians 13:3-7 NKJV

3. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

4. Love suffers long, and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself; is not puffed up;

5. does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, seeks no evil;

6. does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;

7. bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, ensures all things.

Verse 8 starts with Love never fails

May all of us be blessed with this kind of love on our hearts.

My verse today is also on love. This is the theme of the entire Bible. For God so loved.

'You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the Lord . Leviticus 19:18

Love your neighbor as yourself. That means, what I want for myself, I want for my neighbor. I want his good. If he is hurting or in need, I will be there. For that is the meaning of love. Seeking the good of others and meeting them in their needs.

Perhaps the opposite of love is indifference. Such is having a lack of sympathy or concern for others while only thinking of oneself. It's also including some, but excluding others. Love is for everyone. Without exception.

Let love flourish in your hearts toward others without judgment. Love as God loves. The entire law is fulfilled in Love. Love God and love others. That's it. From there, everything else flows.
In Christ ~Papa

My verse today is also on love. This is the theme of the entire Bible. For God so loved.

Love your neighbor as yourself. That means, what I want for myself, I want for my neighbor. I want his good. If he is hurting or in need, I will be there. For that is the meaning of love. Seeking the good of others and meeting them in their needs.

Perhaps the opposite of love is indifference. Such is having a lack of sympathy or concern for others while only thinking of oneself. It's also including some, but excluding others. Love is for everyone. Without exception.

Let love flourish in your hearts toward others without judgment. Love as God loves. The entire law is fulfilled in Love. Love God and love others. That's it. From there, everything else flows.
In Christ ~Papa

Amen!

Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
Heb 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Heb 10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
Heb 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

I love Hebrews 10:24 as it's related to my post for today (coming up). God is really pointing me in the direction of good works - understanding what works are and how easy it is to do good works (by His power) because He affords us so many opportunities to serve Him! We serve God by serving others (in His name) and remembering that all we do is by the Grace and Glory of God!

Back