Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Did Jesus preach to people in hell?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I saw it on Sesame Street before it was censored. Now they can't even talk about it.

The Lake of fire is is a real place. surrounds the outer throne room of God.

Luk 10:15 And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell.

And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.
(Mat 11:23)

And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
(Luk 16:23)

And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
(Luk 16:24)

The description of Hades as recorded by by the rich man is torment. The place of the unrighteous dead.

Zero Scripture that deonotes hell as the Lake of fire. Hades is case into the the lake of fire, where their smoke and tormote goes for (Aion ies Aion) Age upon age...................... forever as the Greek Expression.

No escaping Free. Hell is Hades, full of fire and torment where the spirits of the dead who did not know Jesus are condemened already. Some coming to eternal life and some to shame and contempt.

Hell is real, and eternal torment just as real as Aionious life.

Edited formatting to get the quote shown properly--Free.

Brother Mike,

The parable of the rich man and Lazarus is not about the after life, its about the kingdom being taken from the Jews. If you look up Hades throughout the Scriptures you'll find that it's the grave. In the parable nothing is said about the rich man being wicked, that is assumed because he is said to be in torment in the flame. That's reading theology into the passage. Take note that Jesus was addressing the Pharisees when giving the parable. Just before this He had said, the Law and the prophets were until John, since that time the Kingdom of God is preached. He also said, whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, He was accusing the Pharisees of being unfaithful. He had also just given the parable of the unfaithful steward. These parables are directed at the Pharisees. When Jesus speaks of the rich man, he's said to be dressed in purple and fine linen. The priesthood was dressed in fine linen. He's also said to be a son of Abraham as he called Abraham father. I believe Jesus was referring to a passage that the Pharisees would be quite familiar with. This passage speaks of judgment against Israel.

15 "But Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; You grew fat, you grew thick, You are obese! Then he forsook God who made him, And scornfully esteemed the Rock of his salvation.
16 They provoked Him to jealousy with foreign gods; With abominations they provoked Him to anger.
17 They sacrificed to demons, not to God, To gods they did not know, To new gods, new arrivals That your fathers did not fear.
18 Of the Rock who begot you, you are unmindful, And have forgotten the God who fathered you.
19 "And when the LORD saw it, He spurned them, Because of the provocation of His sons and His daughters.
20 And He said:`I will hide My face from them, I will see what their end will be, For they are a perverse generation, Children in whom is no faith.
21 They have provoked Me to jealousy by what is not God; They have moved Me to anger by their foolish idols. But I will provoke them to jealousy by those who are not a nation; I will move them to anger by a foolish nation.
22 For a fire is kindled by my anger, And shall burn to the lowest hell; It shall consume the earth with her increase, And set on fire the foundations of the mountains.
23 `I will heap disasters on them; I will spend My arrows on them.
24 They shall be wasted with hunger, Devoured by pestilence and bitter destruction; I will also send against them the teeth of beasts, With the poison of serpents of the dust.
25 The sword shall destroy outside; There shall be terror within For the young man and virgin, The nursing child with the man of gray hairs.
26 I would have said, "I will dash them in pieces, I will make the memory of them to cease from among men,"
27 Had I not feared the wrath of the enemy, Lest their adversaries should misunderstand, Lest they should say, "Our hand is high; And it is not the LORD who has done all this."'
28 "For they are a nation void of counsel, Nor is there any understanding in them.
29 Oh, that they were wise, that they understood this, That they would consider their latter end!
30 How could one chase a thousand, And two put ten thousand to flight, Unless their Rock had sold them, And the LORD had surrendered them?
31 For their rock is not like our Rock, Even our enemies themselves being judges. (Deu 32:15-31 NKJ)

In the bolded section the word translated Hell is Greek word Hades. I believe Jesus was talking to Pharisees about their being judge as unfaithful stewards and that the kingdom was being taken away from them and that being tormented in the flame in Hades is a reference to the passage in Deuteronomy. The rich man in torment in Hades is actually the priesthood suffering the wrath of God's anger.

Brother Mike,

The parable of the rich man and Lazarus is not about the after life, its about the kingdom being taken from the Jews. If you look up Hades throughout the Scriptures you'll find that it's the grave. In the parable nothing is said about the rich man being wicked, that is assumed because he is said to be in torment in the flame. That's reading theology into the passage. Take note that Jesus was addressing the Pharisees when giving the parable. Just before this He had said, the Law and the prophets were until John, since that time the Kingdom of God is preached. He also said, whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, He was accusing the Pharisees of being unfaithful. He had also just given the parable of the unfaithful steward. These parables are directed at the Pharisees. When Jesus speaks of the rich man, he's said to be dressed in purple and fine linen. The priesthood was dressed in fine linen. He's also said to be a son of Abraham as he called Abraham father. I believe Jesus was referring to a passage that the Pharisees would be quite familiar with. This passage speaks of judgment against Israel.

15 "But Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; You grew fat, you grew thick, You are obese! Then he forsook God who made him, And scornfully esteemed the Rock of his salvation.
16 They provoked Him to jealousy with foreign gods; With abominations they provoked Him to anger.
17 They sacrificed to demons, not to God, To gods they did not know, To new gods, new arrivals That your fathers did not fear.
18 Of the Rock who begot you, you are unmindful, And have forgotten the God who fathered you.
19 "And when the LORD saw it, He spurned them, Because of the provocation of His sons and His daughters.
20 And He said:`I will hide My face from them, I will see what their end will be, For they are a perverse generation, Children in whom is no faith.
21 They have provoked Me to jealousy by what is not God; They have moved Me to anger by their foolish idols. But I will provoke them to jealousy by those who are not a nation; I will move them to anger by a foolish nation.
22 For a fire is kindled by my anger, And shall burn to the lowest hell; It shall consume the earth with her increase, And set on fire the foundations of the mountains.
23 `I will heap disasters on them; I will spend My arrows on them.
24 They shall be wasted with hunger, Devoured by pestilence and bitter destruction; I will also send against them the teeth of beasts, With the poison of serpents of the dust.
25 The sword shall destroy outside; There shall be terror within For the young man and virgin, The nursing child with the man of gray hairs.
26 I would have said, "I will dash them in pieces, I will make the memory of them to cease from among men,"
27 Had I not feared the wrath of the enemy, Lest their adversaries should misunderstand, Lest they should say, "Our hand is high; And it is not the LORD who has done all this."'
28 "For they are a nation void of counsel, Nor is there any understanding in them.
29 Oh, that they were wise, that they understood this, That they would consider their latter end!
30 How could one chase a thousand, And two put ten thousand to flight, Unless their Rock had sold them, And the LORD had surrendered them?
31 For their rock is not like our Rock, Even our enemies themselves being judges. (Deu 32:15-31 NKJ)

In the bolded section the word translated Hell is Greek word Hades. I believe Jesus was talking to Pharisees about their being judge as unfaithful stewards and that the kingdom was being taken away from them and that being tormented in the flame in Hades is a reference to the passage in Deuteronomy. The rich man in torment in Hades is actually the priesthood suffering the wrath of God's anger.

Nice explanation Butch.

God is not the God of the dead, but the living.

Abraham was alive in the heart of the earth!

moving-knock-out-punch-doctrine.gif

Brother Mike,

The parable of the rich man and Lazarus is not about the after life, its about the kingdom being taken from the Jews. If you look up Hades throughout the Scriptures you'll find that it's the grave.
Hades was the grave of the SOUL. Hades was located in the deepest regions of the earth. Souls went to hades to await the resurrection.

So where was He for those 3 days?

Scripture says, absent from the body, present with the Lord...but He is the Lord, so where was He? :confused2
When He was dead He was in the tomb, After He was raised to life, He walked out of the tomb. Scripture says that He died on the cross. That means...He died on the cross.

Edit: What's up with the weird smiley?

The Gospels don't say. Why do you assume that part of Jesus lived when Jesus died?

Because He's GOD brother. :yes

Not only that, we're all spiritual creatures. we have a Spirit. Jesus has a Spirit. :yes

You act like you accept these 3 dimensions are the end all of reality...??

1 Thessalonians 5:23
23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it./

:wink

The Gospels don't say. Why do you assume that part of Jesus lived when Jesus died?

The Gospels don't say????????

What ?????

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Matthew 12:40

In the heart of the Earth.

again -

And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise." Luke 23:43

Both the thief and Jesus were together on that day in Paradise.

The thief was not buried in the same tomb as Jesus!

JLB

*LIKE* :)

I mean come on, what is death brothers and sisters? It's when the Spirit leaves the body...

*LIKE* :)

I mean come on, what is death brothers and sisters? It's when the Spirit leaves the body...

Amen!!

Likewise, alive means the spirit is in the body, however the spirit cam be in the body yet a person be declared "dead" in trespass's and sin, yet his body is alive.

So the word defines for us, the truth.

The truth is a person can be in a state of death [crucified], yet be alive spiritually and be alive on earth and functioning in his body as a living sacrifice.

A person can be alive in his body but be dead in trespasses and sin.

Dead does not mean cease to exist.

It comes down to rightly dividing the word.

JLB

Amen brother, good explanation. And one other thing too, open your eyes and look around you...if there's one thing that's clear upon this earth, it's that there's more going on than meets the eye. And not so coincidentally, that's exactly what scripture says also.

When He was dead He was in the tomb, After He was raised to life, He walked out of the tomb. Scripture says that He died on the cross. That means...He died on the cross.

Edit: What's up with the weird smiley?
I have seen you over at TOL and at CF Forums. You say that death means annihilation. This would mean that when Jesus died on the cross He was annihilated. So, who is the Jesus at the right hand of God? LOL!

Hades was the grave of the SOUL. Hades was located in the deepest regions of the earth. Souls went to hades to await the resurrection.

Hades is the grave, it's translated as such quite a few times. I don't believe people bury the dead in the deepest regions of the earth. A soul is the combination of a body and the breath of life, the two together became a living soul (Gen 2:7)

Back