Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Dietary instruction in the bible - avoid ULTRA-PROCESSED food, GMO food and other artificial food

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The Bible has much to say about the food that people consume, there's a guideline given by God regarding what to eat (Gen. 1:29, Gen. 9:3, Lev. 11), Lev. 11 and Deut. 14:3-21 are commonly known as the kosher law, which, to sum it up simply, no pork, shellfish or naturally dead animals. In principle we're not bound by this law, but kosher diet has certain health benefits, all the animals banned on the list are bottom feeders and scavengers with a lot of pathegeons, pork in particular is known for being the carrier of trichinella parasite, the culprit of trichinosis. Therefore, kosher law is not a religious or ceremonial law, but a food safety law, and it's well advanced of its time.

However, kosher law is NOT the topic I wanna discuss, so do me and yourself a favor, don't stretch it out with a wall of theological lecturing. The real challenge we face today is ultra-processed artificial food, that's the junk/fast food most of us eat everyday because it's cheap and convenient, but how does the bible instruct us on diet?

"I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food." - Gen. 1:29
"Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood." - Gen. 9:3-4

When it comes to diet, there're lots of camps like vegan, keto, paleo, asian in addition to kosher, but nearly all of those health gurus agree on one thing no matter what camp they're in - avoid those food-like substance, eat natural, whole food! You see, according to these two principles, God has created and ordained plants and animals for our sustenance. Most plants can be eaten in raw form, all you need is some cleaning and cutting; animals on the other hand have to be butchered, prepared and cooked properly, hence the no blood part. Again, this is common sense regarding food safety.

What God did NOT create or ordain is ULTRA-PROCESSED junk food. He did NOT create any chemical additive, preservative, coloring or flavoring. Question is, are they considered "unclean" like those non kosher meat by biblical standard? Most would say no, and they quote Matt. 15:11 (Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.), Acts 10:15 (What God has cleansed you must not call common.) and maybe Rom. 14:6 (He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.) Conclusion: there's no prohibition, follow your own conscience.

I think this is a big mistake that would surely cost our health - both physical and mental, and thus our ability to serve the Lord. Ultra processed food are inherently bad with excessive calories but insufficient nutrients that our body needs, they are created by big corporations for profit, ordained by the FDA and sold out experts, and engineered to be addictive, long term consumption will most definitely defile you. By no means does that prove Jesus wrong, the context of Matt. 15 is about hand washing tradition and the Pharisees' hypocrisy. A little dirt on your hand doesn't kill you or defile you, but excessive amount of those artifical chemicals do, they are slow acting poison, their intake should be minimized.

Ultra processed food are inherently bad with excessive calories but insufficient nutrients that our body needs, they are created by big corporations for profit, ordained by the FDA and sold out experts, and engineered to be addictive, long term consumption will most definitely defile you.
You make it sound like some kind of conspiracy but that is inaccurate and my guess is that you have never been self-employed or owned a business. Manufacturers do what they do in order to fill a consumer need or want. Profit is only part of the equation and in fact a requirement by the IRS. If there was no market for their products, manufacturers would not, or more accurately, could not remain in business. We consumers determine what products are or are not sold. Also, we all have that same monetary motive for what we do. Anyone that earns money is working for profit and it would be an extremely rare thing for anyone to refuse a pay increase because they felt they would be paid too much.

Anything you'd identify as junk food with excessive calories and very little nutrients, usually contains a lot of hydrogenated oil, artificial sweeteners and other additives, made for profit, not nourishment.
Hydrogenation and most of the additives you speak of are used to improve shelf life. That's a benefit for the consumer. Sweeteners of any kind are used because we consumers have an enormous sweet tooth. As a borderline type II diabetic, artificial sweeteners allow me to satisfy my sweet tooth without spiking my blood glucose.

I'm not promoting or saying these are good things. I'm just pointing out that it is us consumers that are the drivers and not the victims. We can choose to buy, or better yet, grow our own vegetables and pick wild foods, which are everywhere, but most of us are too lazy to do that.

For example, here in Minnesota, we have a major invasive cattail species that is fully edible from the roots right to the flower on top and yet I know nobody that eats them. If we did, they could easily and quickly become endangered, which would be beneficial for eradicating the invasive species.

Other examples. I operate a hobby farm and one of the more dominant weeds that I deal with every year is lamb's quarters and dandelion. If I had a market for these, I could have a thriving business. Other plants that I have around here include stinging nettles or burn weed, milkweed, thistles, burdock, Japanese knotweed, horse radish, and many more. These are all edible in part or whole but there's no suitable market for them so you don't find them at your local grocery store.

One of our biggest customers we had when I was working was Stouffer Foods, which produced ready-made dinners like Lean Cuisine® and others. About 20 years ago I was visiting one of the facilities located in Greenville, SC and was thinking about the amount of product they produced. They had 12 production lines in the facility at that time and although slow by today's standards on average they produced about 25 cartons or meals per minute, 24 hours per day, 365 days per year at a plant-wide efficiency of over 95%, which was absolutely amazing. That calculated out to almost 150 million meals per year and they had three of these facilities in the US. Between those three facilities they provided one meal for every man, woman, and child about every 8 months and they couldn't keep up with demand so none of them were stored. I believe there are four facilities now in the US. We are not required to buy these products. We choose to do so and because we choose to do so, the manufacturers stay in business.

If one closes to eat a more healthy diet one has to avoid food items that have been manufactured.
Buy organic grass fed beef, free-range chickens etc, foods that have been frozen or canned with only heat treatment are OK.

As has been said read the product label for additives like palm oil, preservatives, sweetners like corn starch or chemical sweeteners.
These are food items to be minimised in ones diet.

Take a look at what one is eating, it is very difficult to change away from processed food, take bread, mass-produced, cheap with a long shelf life or artisan bread baked on site by a Baker, upto 5 times the price and will go off in two to three days.
Tasts fantastic, but here in the UK on site bakers in superstores produce bread, yes with preservatives that tastes as good as artisan bakers and is cheaper.

Money or time is what usually decides it.

Take a look at what one is eating, it is very difficult to change away from processed food, take bread, mass-produced, cheap with a long shelf life or artisan bread baked on site by a Baker, upto 5 times the price and will go off in two to three days.
Can bake it ourselves for less and it's not as difficult as people think. I can mix up a loaf of bread, which is nothing more than flour, water, yeast, butter, and sugar or honey, and have it proofing (rising) within about 20 minutes. After an hour, I gently punch it down, shape it into a loaf, place it in a pan or onto a stone, let it proof one more time and bake it for about 1/2 hour. Done and I get the first heal while it's still hot. :dancing

You make it sound like some kind of conspiracy but that is inaccurate and my guess is that you have never been self-employed or owned a business. Manufacturers do what they do in order to fill a consumer need or want. Profit is only part of the equation and in fact a requirement by the IRS. If there was no market for their products, manufacturers would not, or more accurately, could not remain in business. We consumers determine what products are or are not sold. Also, we all have that same monetary motive for what we do. Anyone that earns money is working for profit and it would be an extremely rare thing for anyone to refuse a pay increase because they felt they would be paid too much.
It's not a conspiracy that America has become the fattest and sickest nation in the whole world, the vast majority has at least one chronic disease such as type 2 diabetes. If you think that has nothing to do with what you eat and that's determined by the consumers, then I feel sorry for you, man.

Hydrogenation and most of the additives you speak of are used to improve shelf life. That's a benefit for the consumer. Sweeteners of any kind are used because we consumers have an enormous sweet tooth. As a borderline type II diabetic, artificial sweeteners allow me to satisfy my sweet tooth without spiking my blood glucose.
The longer the shelf life, the shorter your life. Ex. 16 is about the manna from heaven, this food sustained the Israelites in the wilderness for 40 years, but they had to go out and gather it everyday, it can't be stored overnight or it would go bad. One practical takeaway lesson is eat as fresh as possible, natural protein, fiber and oil in the food don't last long.

Last edited:
The Bible has much to say about the food that people consume, there's a guideline given by God regarding what to eat (Gen. 1:29, Gen. 9:3, Lev. 11), Lev. 11 and Deut. 14:3-21 are commonly known as the kosher law, which, to sum it up simply, no pork, shellfish or naturally dead animals. In principle we're not bound by this law, but kosher diet has certain health benefits, all the animals banned on the list are bottom feeders and scavengers with a lot of pathegeons, pork in particular is known for being the carrier of trichinella parasite, the culprit of trichinosis. Therefore, kosher law is not a religious or ceremonial law, but a food safety law, and it's well advanced of its time.

However, kosher law is NOT the topic I wanna discuss, so do me and yourself a favor, don't stretch it out with a wall of theological lecturing. The real challenge we face today is ultra-processed artificial food, that's the junk/fast food most of us eat everyday because it's cheap and convenient, but how does the bible instruct us on diet?

"I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food." - Gen. 1:29
"Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood." - Gen. 9:3-4

When it comes to diet, there're lots of camps like vegan, keto, paleo, asian in addition to kosher, but nearly all of those health gurus agree on one thing no matter what camp they're in - avoid those food-like substance, eat natural, whole food! You see, according to these two principles, God has created and ordained plants and animals for our sustenance. Most plants can be eaten in raw form, all you need is some cleaning and cutting; animals on the other hand have to be butchered, prepared and cooked properly, hence the no blood part. Again, this is common sense regarding food safety.

What God did NOT create or ordain is ULTRA-PROCESSED junk food. He did NOT create any chemical additive, preservative, coloring or flavoring. Question is, are they considered "unclean" like those non kosher meat by biblical standard? Most would say no, and they quote Matt. 15:11 (Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.), Acts 10:15 (What God has cleansed you must not call common.) and maybe Rom. 14:6 (He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.) Conclusion: there's no prohibition, follow your own conscience.

I think this is a big mistake that would surely cost our health - both physical and mental, and thus our ability to serve the Lord. Ultra processed food are inherently bad with excessive calories but insufficient nutrients that our body needs, they are created by big corporations for profit, ordained by the FDA and sold out experts, and engineered to be addictive, long term consumption will most definitely defile you. By no means does that prove Jesus wrong, the context of Matt. 15 is about hand washing tradition and the Pharisees' hypocrisy. A little dirt on your hand doesn't kill you or defile you, but excessive amount of those artifical chemicals do, they are slow acting poison, their intake should be minimized.
I am glad Paul wrote 1 Tim 4:4-5..."For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer."

I am glad Paul wrote 1 Tim 4:4-5..."For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer."
Every creature of GOD, not of man. In this same chapter Paul also warned: "... forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth." Artificial food-like substances are created by big corporations, not by God, and that's a fact, not hyperbole. God didn't create herbicide resistant GMO crops, or CAFO animals fattened with such GMO crops.

Every creature of GOD, not of man. In this same chapter Paul also warned: "... forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth." Artificial food-like substances are created by big corporations, not by God, and that's a fact, not hyperbole. God didn't create herbicide resistant GMO crops, or CAFO animals fattened with such GMO crops.
I probably sit beteeen the two camps. God set limits on Satan in regards to what could be done to Job.

Our religious conscience should be better off today. The strict law of Moses conscience is probably lessened. I think having an antiphaltic reaction to a food might not be ignored if a person is walking in faith).

We see through a glass darkly. Some of the total answers will be answered at the Resurrection / judgement.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

That's the crux of what I've been saying about diet, although yes being human we falter at times and like just a bit of processed "foods". I get impatient with the medical world who would classify certain natural foods (such as butter and egg yolks) in the same category as junk foods as if God did not know what he was doing. Jesus and his disciples were big fish eaters.

Nothing wrong with vegetables and plant-based foods. However, since the flood I do think we need some animal based nutrients in red meats though such as B6, B12, Folic acid (also in green, leafy plants thus the name), Iron, omegas etc.etc. I stick to kosher meats, however. As to what other Christians want to do, that's up to them, but Jesus and the disciples all ate Kosher (we are in the same age). But that's just me. I won't force that on anyone. You'd be surprised how many people take offence because I do that as it I am going to push that on everyone the way they are (indirectly) trying to push EV's on us "for our good" or course. No, I'm not like that. Everyone in my family eats what they want and I almost feel like I'm putting them out because of my dietary habits but they have accepted it well and accommodate me.

Can bake it ourselves for less and it's not as difficult as people think. I can mix up a loaf of bread, which is nothing more than flour, water, yeast, butter, and sugar or honey, and have it proofing (rising) within about 20 minutes. After an hour, I gently punch it down, shape it into a loaf, place it in a pan or onto a stone, let it proof one more time and bake it for about 1/2 hour. Done and I get the first heal while it's still hot. :dancing
My wife had a bread maker .she would do that .

Why leave out the rest of the verse I supplied ?
It is written...1 Tim 4:4-5..."For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:"
Your agenda foments mistrust in God's word.
"For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer."

Why leave out the rest of the verse I supplied ?
It is written...1 Tim 4:4-5..."For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:"
Your agenda foments mistrust in God's word.
"For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer."
Be nice.

Let me look up (and so passes on)

eddif

It is hard to know when food is processed sometimes. Not everyone had the privilege of growing up with healthy homegrown food.

Let me look up (and so passes on)

eddif
Boy I should have looked it up first.

This is the tradition of elders thing.

Mark 7:14 kjv
14. And when he had called all the people unto him, he said unto them, Hearken unto me every one of you, and understand:
15. There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.
16. If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.
17. And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.
18. And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;
19. Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?
20. And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.
21. For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
22. Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
23. All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.

Now I wonder if I can say it right.

The issue was:
You left off my scripture.

Why? Why leave it off? Because a different group has different traditions in their box. They have no idea where you are going, but they know their usual conversations.

It might be both groups are off track. ( I am neutral for now).

The Pharisees wanted to discuss washing hands (to keep from being defiled). Not about what was eaten but about the process before eating.

If we are to have a conversation we have to know what is inside the other persons can head. Jesus knew their thoughts, and he explained what was going on.

We have to go slow.

eddif

Back