Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Disappointment with God

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Guap

There was an article on the huffington post that I recently read (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wait-but-why/generation-y-unhappy_b_3930620.html). It was about the difference in expectations between Gen Y’s and the Baby boomers. The article gave an equation of Happiness.

Happiness = Reality – Expectations.

One example of this is when we buy something. If we find something cheap that really does a great job, we feel like we have got a real bargain. If we spend a lot of money on something only to find out it is junk we feel disappointed and that someone has sold us a lie.

The article went on to say that Gen Y’s had huge expectations and their reality wasn’t meeting their expectations. This meant that many Gen Y’s were facing disappointment with life. In contrast the Baby Boomer’s had few expectations, having parents who lived through World Wars and The Great Depression and their reality exceeded their expectations. Therefore Baby Boomers were generally happier.

Another way of looking at this is disappointments occur when our reality doesn’t meet our expectations. People face disappointments with God when the reality of God in their life doesn’t meet their expectations.

One of my former leaders told me the story of how she came to faith in Jesus. She was at church and the preacher asked, ‘Do you want love, peace and joy?’ And she thought, ‘Well who doesn’t want that?’ So she responded to the alter call.

Her reality in following Jesus wasn’t just love, peace and joy and then she experienced disappointments with God. She had some questions to ask. Does my disappointment mean that Jesus isn’t real? Or was my expectation wrong? Was I sold a life? What does it really mean to follow Jesus?

Because my former leader had a real relationship with Jesus she was able to work through some of her disappointments. She turned to the Bible, particularly the gospels, and putting aside her preconceived ideas, read for herself who Jesus really is and what he taught.

In an earlier post I talked about how Jesus came to save us from our sins, not from our circumstances. When we are ‘sold’ a Jesus who saves us from our circumstances we are bound to experience disappointment.

With so many people reportedly leaving churches, it makes we wonder, what Jesus they were sold? And what Jesus do I sell to others?

Greetings,

I like the thought you bring here. Feelings of entitlement can lead to disappointment. I'm a baby-boomer and tried to raise my kids to understand that acceptance with thanks (being grateful) is the way of it.

I would also like to point out that the concept of "What Jesus were they sold," has a flaw because, and as you know, He bought us, not the other way around. We are His possession. With that expectation (and He makes it very clear -- even speaks in parables so we can understand) our expectations should be real and realized.

Cordially,
Sparrow

With so many people reportedly leaving churches, it makes we wonder, what Jesus they were sold? And what Jesus do I sell to others?

I would agree with Sparrowhawke in saying there is a slight flaw as to what Jesus we are sold. I believe there are many who have been sold the image of Christ as a man, and they are saved through the crucifixion of Jesus; but they have been sold into the image of the death of Christ, and they have made the image of this man into their God. On the other hand, though I wouldn't say we are sold, but instead are purchased; and that being a gift of God, are formed in the image of the resurrection and life through Christ, where we worship God in spirit and in truth.

John 4:23-24 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth:for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

I am a baby boomer that grew up without much, but later after seeking Christ and through total submission to Gods will have gained much. I'm not talking solely about the material, but also the mental stability of now knowing that not everything of this life is going to be perfect as we will always face trials and tribulations of some sort. The difference is now that my expectations are of knowing that no matter what I go through Christ will always bring me through for His greater glory. I do not set any expectations before me as I have Gods promises to carry me through everyday life.

Jesus is sold to the public today .. It is a sham and shame. but so many of these loud talking preachers sell Jesus...
Way to many preachers should have stayed selling used cars...

What people get when sold Jesus is not, the Jesus, we are blessed to have a personal relationship with. More like a teddy bear version. Send me 20 bucks a month and you will be blessed ... I also have some warm land in Alaska for a bargain. :nono

1Co_7:23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men. :sohappy

Greetings,

I like the thought you bring here. Feelings of entitlement can lead to disappointment. I'm a baby-boomer and tried to raise my kids to understand that acceptance with thanks (being grateful) is the way of it.

I would also like to point out that the concept of "What Jesus were they sold," has a flaw because, and as you know, He bought us, not the other way around. We are His possession. With that expectation (and He makes it very clear -- even speaks in parables so we can understand) our expectations should be real and realized.

Cordially,
Sparrow

I understand that he bought us on intention to offend, but as Reba points out, in today's world there are many 'selling' Jesus. Churches are in 'competition' and have to 'sell' themselves. Jesus sometimes gets caught up in all that. Sad, but true with many churches.

Back