Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Discouraged with internet service

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

lmw

I need to vent. I LOVE where I live, on top of a hill, overlooking a valley, in the middle of the woods, in the middle of no where with wildlife abound. It's really a paradise, my pets and toddler can run free! (just gotta watch out for the coyotes, bears, occasional wolf, etc...)

My internet service is horrible. Land based highspeed internet is NOT an option, so we have dial up. ISP can never tell me whether or not highspeed will be available any time soon, despite the fact we are less than a mile from the cut-off. Satellite internet companies need a boat load of money upfront and lack of credit history prevents me from being eligible for any of their leasing options. There is a U.S. recovery act thing that allows rural customers to have discounted rates, one place said I didn't qualify for some reason or another. On a good day I get one bar on my cellphone.

I'm not moving any time soon, so I feel stuck. My Ma and I have an online business, we could do soooooo much more with highspeed. I just do what I can all the while suffering with a slow connection

/vent over.

You live just about where Handy and i live, although we are states apart.....! Wonderful to live in such beauty....

Believe you me faster speed does not end all internet troubles... Vent away confession is good for the soul :yes

I get a smile just thinking of your little guy

When I can, I drive 30 miles to my brother's house just to use their WIFI, and even there, they have their issues too. I got a nice new shiny laptop with my tax return. I've had it for a few weeks now and I haven't even begun to really play with it yet. It hates dial up, performs much better with the wifi. But... I will sacrifice faster internet to live where I do... for as long as God lets me stay here.

The little guy loves it. Especially in the summer... he takes the clothing optional stance.... thank goodness we are surrounded by trees!!! :)

I love that kind of environment, especially wildlife, sorta. I love Robinson Crusoe's kind of life on the Island, a secluded environment.

About your internet problem, I know Lewis has something to offer.

Do you have high tension wire close to your house? If you have any around, go near it. It improves your service bar. There's this little trick with it:) And it's just okay when you need to make a desperate call. (Don't go very close.)

Last edited by a moderator:
By chance do you have any decent cell phone service? If so, you could look at a USB broadband card and access the internet via your cell phone service.

Cell phone service is spotty at best. I just get one bar, sometimes 2, most times nothing at all. A couple times I got like 3 bars so I got excited and tethered my phone to my laptop, but by the time I got connected to the internet, it just dropped off, no where to be found. And my bedroom is the only room in the house I get any kind of service. I like the idea of the mobile broadband things but don't like the data caps, and not entirely sure they would always work.

I have Straighttalk (which uses tracphone antennas), but service isn't good, I get full service at the stop sign a mile away. I think Verizon is better but it depends on the phone too. Even with verizon I think 2 bars tops is what we get here. The closest cell tower is 5 miles away and its pretty hilly terrain in between. Tmobile, AT&T, Sprint... don't work at all here

I think Verizon is better but it depends on the phone too.
Some mobile phones have higher sensitivity to signals than the others. While my phone indicated 2 bars at a particular region my friend's phone (from the same company) indicated about 5 bars.

Try other phones too. (The high tension wire thing works. Just that I don't like people taking risks. Don't do it, in fact, I'll encourage you not to. If however it runs across your area then you are luckier, you have improved service)

This is indeed sad. I live in the shticks here just south of Easton Pa (near the Pa-NJ border) and yet I have had cable Internet for over 10 years now. I remember the day they were stringing the wires and would NEVER again go back to painfully slow dial-up modem. As a matter of fact, almost 10 years ago when I studied A+ computer certification I did not study hard on the modem because they were going out then already being a technology of the 1990's and thought back then already most people would not have it. It's sad to hear that some people are stilled roped with it.

And this is something that I cannot blame on Microsoft, as much as I detest that operating system. However, if one has Microsoft, it will only make things exponentially worse as Microsoft still (IMO) does not have a good handle, and never has on networking and printers. They need outside suppliers for drivers to do the job for them. Linux will have better compatibility for such things involving modems, unlike Microsoft whose attitude is "its outdated and therefore we won't support it any longer" which was a condescending campaign started with windows XP and also the start of my hated for everything Microsoft (I actually loved windows 98SE and before --- XP was when their attitude started).

So, my advice in the meatime is if you have to be tortured with a primitive network, at least use an operating system that won't add to your grief (and then have the gall to expect you to pay for it as well). Linux is free and won't get viruses like the other sickly, overpriced behavior Microsoft gets.

I've used Linux before, when I was going to a tech school for web design, I installed it on an old desktop of mine. I saved what I needed off of it and since it was running really slow, I installed Linux on it. I haven't used Linux in years though but will probably put it on my other desktop. My mom was using it, but I bought a new laptop, gave her my own one, and will probably let my little one play around with the desktop.

I use Microsoft, but I do know where you are coming from. My new laptop has Windows 7 on it and I had a terrible time installing Dreamweaver 8 on it and now that its installed, I get error messages at very inopportune times, making me lose my work. I bought a car and a new laptop with my tax return, I can't afford to upgrade the software I use :sad

Sort of an update I guess.

We've been really bugging our ISP about not providing high speed internet to us. After 5 years of bugging, they are sending out a tech to survey our location on Monday. I'm not expecting much but still think its stupid our neighbors have it less than a half mile away. But ya never know...

Thanks Reba :)

That picture was just taken yesterday with the camera on my phone. We went to the park and he was all smiles. We ate lunch there and he would come take a bite of food then run up the stairs to the slide, come down, get a bite again and do it all over again. I think he wore off his entire lunch while he was eating it.

What did you do to the baby this time around? What an amazing smile! Did you buy him a
image.php

I need to vent. I LOVE where I live, on top of a hill, overlooking a valley, in the middle of the woods, in the middle of no where with wildlife abound. It's really a paradise, my pets and toddler can run free! (just gotta watch out for the coyotes, bears, occasional wolf, etc...)

My internet service is horrible. Land based highspeed internet is NOT an option, so we have dial up. ISP can never tell me whether or not highspeed will be available any time soon, despite the fact we are less than a mile from the cut-off. Satellite internet companies need a boat load of money upfront and lack of credit history prevents me from being eligible for any of their leasing options. There is a U.S. recovery act thing that allows rural customers to have discounted rates, one place said I didn't qualify for some reason or another. On a good day I get one bar on my cellphone.

I'm not moving any time soon, so I feel stuck. My Ma and I have an online business, we could do soooooo much more with highspeed. I just do what I can all the while suffering with a slow connection

/vent over.

get a cell phone with 3g, tether your computer and you are sorted.

Shoddy cell service at best. I may get 2 bars but it comes in and out and is not at all consistant. So that is out. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

What is wrong with your area?:sad
Is your area an anticom-antinet-antiAll antiEMF place?

Why not try a suncaputated telenet?

I live 1 mile south from a town that has more cows than people in dairy land Wisconsin and everyone knows everyone. I think there are about 400 people on the mail route? There is 2 stop signs down town, 2 bars, a bank, gas station, and the post office where I work sometimes and a car repair place, but that's it. The post office is a double wide mobile home trailer that is frequented by feral cats looking for shelter (where I got my kitty) and the occasional skunk. There used to be a pair of wild chickens nesting there too until someone hunted them down with a truck and a shot gun.

Middle of no where, that is the problem. But I like it here... despite my technological issues

Back