Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Do we receive the Holy Ghost upon baptism?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
duval said:
Hi Sparrowhawke

ALL I have been asking for is WHAT the Holy Spirit taught YOU about "and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" in Acts 2:38. Do we receive it whan scripturallly baptized or at some yet FUTURE time after being baptized?

Hope that clarifies.
God bless.
duval

All you have been demanding from me is what? Please say again your demand but this time cite your authority to compel an answer from me? I have tried many, many times to tell you that I am not the bible and that you must seek God through His written word and by the teaching of His Spirit be made able to come to the truth.

Put succinctly the Holy Spirit has taught ME to seek God with my whole heart, my whole mind and with all my strength. This is exactly what I advocate for others who wish greater understanding --that they depart from evil and draw closer to God, trusting on His promise to teach doctrine personally as they continue to fight the good fight.

Pro 4:1 Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
Pro 4:2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
I honestly believe that there are many problems regarding man's understanding and doctrine that would be immediately resolved if we (self included) would only do what God asks us to do. We have been bought by a price and are His possession. Why should we kick back against the goading of the Holy Spirit?

For my part I am praying that your Father reveal to you more than you thought possible as you continue to study His word. It is that very living, loving word that can be engrafted into your mind and will renew you and change you. But this isn't a crop that can be harvested in a day but it is my prayer that you will look back from a future time and bless the Lord for setting your foot on His course of study here. Yes?

Cordially yours,
Sparrowhawke

Hi Sparrowhawke

I have not demanded anything of you, I have ASKED, there is a difference. I too am interested in only what the Bible teaches. If you are not interested in sharing what you think the Holy Spirit has revealed to you in your study I shall as of now close my part of the conversation.

God bless,
duval

duval said:
If you are not interested in sharing what you think the Holy Spirit has revealed to you in your study ...

God bless,
duval
I have shared with you specifically what I think the Holy Spirit is revealing to me:
Sparrowhawke said:
Put succinctly the Holy Spirit has taught ME to seek God with my whole heart, my whole mind and with all my strength. This is exactly what I advocate for others who wish greater understanding --that they depart from evil and draw closer to God, trusting on His promise to teach doctrine personally as they continue to fight the good fight.

I would thank you again for you asking that God bless me and would assure you that I very much enjoy the blessing given and received each day.

Cordially,
~Sparrowhawke

I went through the process of the tongues experience. I even went to a church that taught it. You want to know the truth. Most people use it like a weapon. It's not necessary to speak in tongues to have the Holy Spirit at all. The minute you are a believer and you sincerely acknowledge God, then He acknowledges you. You are now His friend and SON (by the way a son of God is not as you would think of flesh and blood... it is a new creation... Spirit.) You are also baptized into His family upon conversion (no not water baptism). The Spirit joins with your spirit and the Comforter now dwells in you. End of story. Forget about trying to find a language to babble in. God can understand your English or whatever perfectly. In fact you don't even really need to say anything... because he knows the state of your heart and mind. Some of these doctrines were developed in the last century and they definitely are not helping the witness of Christianity. Unfortunately, most of us only believe what we are taught... and there are some haywire teachings out there. Study the scriptures to see whether such things are so... this is why the Bereans were counted more noble. Don't be stubborn, but be discerning.

duval said:
If one is baptized as the Bible teaches then according to Acts 2:38 one does receive the Holy Spirit when baptized.

God bless,
duval

To me, Acts is a record of events that occurred at a specific time in history. Should we take it in its entirety and apply it as doctrine?

Hi Mutzrein

I believe Acts is a record of some of the acts of some of the apostles of Christ and other faithful brethren of the first century. The answer to the question "what must I do to be saved?" is still appropriate.

God bless,
duval

duval said:
Hi Sparrodwhawke

All I wanted was to understand what you understood the Bible to teach on the subject.

Thanks,
duval

In baptism God gives us grace. Again and again the sacred writers tell us that it is in baptism that we are saved, buried with Christ, incorporated into his body, washed of our sins, regenerated, cleansed, and so on (see Acts 2:38, 22:16; Rom. 6:1–4; 1 Cor. 6:11, 12:13; Gal. 3:26–27; Eph. 5:25-27; Col. 2:11–12; Titus 3:5; 1 Pet. 3:18–22). They are unanimous in speaking of baptism in invariably efficient terms, as really bringing about a spiritual effect.

The early Christians were equally unanimous in affirming baptism as a means of grace. They all recognized the Bible’s teaching that "In the ark a few, that is, eight persons, were saved through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet. 3:20–21, emphasis added).

Even protestant early Church historian J. N. D. Kelly writes, "From the beginning baptism was the
universally accepted rite of admission to the Church. . . . As regards its significance, it was always held to convey the remission of sins . . . we descend into the water ‘dead’ and come out again ‘alive’; we receive a white robe which symbolizes the Spirit . . .the Spirit is God himself dwelling in the believer, and the resulting life is a re-creation. Prior to baptism . . . our heart was the abode of demons . . . but baptism supplies us with the weapons for our spiritual warfare" (Early Christian Doctrines, 193–4).

Not to take away from the main topic, but if I may ask a question? What is the difference between the 'Holy Ghost' and the 'Holy Spirit'? Is it merely a translation thing or denomination thing? I assume they are the same but I just wanted some clarification if someone could. Thanks

seekandlisten said:
Not to take away from the main topic, but if I may ask a question? What is the difference between the 'Holy Ghost' and the 'Holy Spirit'? Is it merely a translation thing or denomination thing? I assume they are the same but I just wanted some clarification if someone could. Thanks
They are one in the same, just synonyms. More contemporary translations render Him "Spirit", the KJV uses "Ghost"

Some believe upon Jesus through his works.

Some believe upon Jesus through his words.

He baptizes both types of believers with the holy Spirit (Ghost) and with fire.

Joe

Joe67 said:
Some believe upon Jesus through his works.

Some believe upon Jesus through his words.

He baptizes both types of believers with the holy Spirit (Ghost) and with fire.

Joe
Huh? Doesn't a Christian, by definition, believe in both? :confused I mean, that is what makes someone a Christian.

follower of Christ said:
ChevyRodeo said:
You may be saved and never baptized nor receive the holy spirit but still have God grace and go to heaven.
While I do disagree with your conclusions, I do appreciate your generosity concerning salvation. Far too many charismatics like to play this game of 'speak in tongues or burn in hell' nonsense. Its nice to find some that arent like that :)

You might be surprised to find out that I do not believe you need to speak in tongues to be saved. --- However the gift is a useful tool to have.

Aurora said:
Baptism is not a part of salvation, Only an outward sign of our inward decision, so I would say we receive the Holy Spirit when we first believe.

The jailer was told, believe on the Lord Jesus CHrist, and thou shalt be saved.....when we are saved, we are sealed. :tongue I believe.

I agree that we receive the Holy Spirit when we believe in Jesus Christ as our Savior.

Romans 8:9

You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

You see, if you don't have the Holy Spirit, then you are not saved! And no, I do not believe that you have to speak in tongues to be saved, or to prove that you are saved. And I also believe that water baptism is not necessary for salvation, but rather an outward sign to others that we have professed our faith in Jesus Christ.

I think this might be where some people get the false teaching started, claiming that you must speak in tongues in order to prove that you are saved.

I do believe in speaking in tounges, there is scriptural support for it is well. Many do not understand it, but it is the first physical indication that one has the received the Holy Ghost (see everyone who received the Holy Ghost in the Book of Acts). Now, let me make one thing clear, I do not believe that I nor any other man must HEAR you speak in tounges for you to become saved. God knows man's heart, and that is all that matters. Here are some scriptures for you nonbelievers...

Isaiah 28:11 "For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people"

Joel 2:28 "And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions"

1 Corinthians 14:13 "Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret".

Also, let me ask you that believe the "tounges" are just a foreign language, this, why would God give this as a gift which would leave open for so many false prophets. If this was the case, I could learn Latin from some MAN and speak it in church, saying I was saved. Now, I realize there are those that do fake speaking in tounges, but not all of it is fake. One final word to everyone please be careful what you say...

Luke 12:10 "And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven of him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven."

Apostolic Soldier said:
I do believe in speaking in tounges, there is scriptural support for it is well. Many do not understand it, but it is the first physical indication that one has the received the Holy Ghost (see everyone who received the Holy Ghost in the Book of Acts).
You're joking, right? Everyone in Acts that received the Holy Spirit spoke in tongues?

toddm said:
Apostolic Soldier said:
I do believe in speaking in tounges, there is scriptural support for it is well. Many do not understand it, but it is the first physical indication that one has the received the Holy Ghost (see everyone who received the Holy Ghost in the Book of Acts).
You're joking, right? Everyone in Acts that received the Holy Spirit spoke in tongues?

Yes each and every time it is recorded that someone received the Holy Ghost it is recorded that they spoke in tounges.

I may be chiming in way too late and somebody may have answered the way I am going to answer and I am still unsure whether we are to receive the holy spirit upon baptism or not, however in the book of Acts chapter 19 here is what Paul has to say about it.

1While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples 2and asked them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?"
They answered, "No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."
3So Paul asked, "Then what baptism did you receive?"
"John's baptism," they replied.

4Paul said, "John's baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus." 5On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 6When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[c] and prophesied. 7There were about twelve men in all.

In this scripture it appears that we are to receive the holy spirit upon being baptised, however I am not sure myself when it really happens. Also if we are to be one in the body of Christ, we would need to be baptized in wouldnt we?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back