Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Do you believe everything in Acts is doctrinally for today

Do you believe everything in Acts is doctrinally for the church today?

• Total voters
SputnikBoy said:
Thanks for the above post, jgredline. You did well.

I still don't believe in the authenticity of Pentecostal 'tongues', however.

Sput
What do you mean authenticity of pentecostal tongues?

jgredline said:
SputnikBoy said:

Sput

I believe that Pentecostal 'tongues' is nonsensical gibberish (is there any other kind of gibberish?) that is a totally unscriptural practice. Pentecostals believe that as long as someone speaks gibberish ('tongues' to them) then it's an indication that they are filled with the Holy Spirit. MANY (and more and more) Pentecostals believe that SALVATION hinges on one's being filled with the HS and 'tongues' is EVIDENCE of an infilling of the HS. One doesn't need to be a genius to figure out the glaring implication behind all of this.

SputnikBoy said:
jgredline said:
SputnikBoy said:

Sput

I believe that Pentecostal 'tongues' is nonsensical gibberish (is there any other kind of gibberish?) that is a totally unscriptural practice. Pentecostals believe that as long as someone speaks gibberish ('tongues' to them) then it's an indication that they are filled with the Holy Spirit. MANY (and more and more) Pentecostals believe that SALVATION hinges on one's being filled with the HS and 'tongues' is EVIDENCE of an infilling of the HS. One doesn't need to be a genius to figure out the glaring implication behind all of this.

Sput
I agree with you.
I will write something up and post it in a little bit.
Thanks

SputnikBoy said:
jgredline said:
SputnikBoy said:

Sput

Why do you believe that tongues are done with? True enough that Pentecostals believe that tongues are the evidence of one being filled with the Holy Ghost. I must be stupid because I do not see the glaring implication behind all of this, so please inform me. FYI: Pentecostals are not the only ones that speak in gibberish.

Okay, here's the equasion:

'Tongues'=evidence of infilling of the Holy Spirit=salvation

No 'tongues'=evidence of no infilling of the Holy Spirit=lost

The speaking in 'tongues' within Pentecostalism has become more important than - or equal to - jesus.

SputnikBoy said:

The speaking in 'tongues' within Pentecostalism has become more important than - or equal to - jesus.

Not true at all. You cannot truely speak in tongues without the Holy Ghost so you MUST have the Holy Ghost to do so. Of course there are fake tongues and those that "pretend" to speak in tongues. Some of which us as humans cannot tell apart. But then again, the devil can come to you as an angel of light, so no difference there to me. You claimed that tongues had served their purpose and are no longer, so what is the evidence of the infilling of the Holy Ghost? What makes you say that tongues are no more. Noone on here has stated that speaking in tongues is more important that Jesus, just that it is the evidence of the infilling of the Holy Ghost and also serves other purposes.

sehad said:
SputnikBoy said:

Not true at all. You cannot truely speak in tongues without the Holy Ghost so you MUST have the Holy Ghost to do so. Of course there are fake tongues and those that "pretend" to speak in tongues. Some of which us as humans cannot tell apart. But then again, the devil can come to you as an angel of light, so no difference there to me. You claimed that tongues had served their purpose and are no longer, so what is the evidence of the infilling of the Holy Ghost? What makes you say that tongues are no more. Noone on here has stated that speaking in tongues is more important that Jesus, just that it is the evidence of the infilling of the Holy Ghost and also serves other purposes.

Okay, sehad. Is one's salvation dependent on an infilling of the Holy Spirit? Would you answer that question if you know?

SputnikBoy said:
sehad said:
SputnikBoy said:

Okay, sehad. Is one's salvation dependent on an infilling of the Holy Spirit? Would you answer that question if you know?

Absolutely, without a doubt, yes, and of course. Now I'm sure that you have other things awaiting my answer but I have asked you the same question twice and will answer no others until you answer mine.

Re: Do you believe everything in Acts is doctrinally for tod

AVBunyan said:
Do you believe everything in Acts is doctrinally for the church today? And I mean every verse in Acts - is it doctrinally for you today?
absolutely :P
There is no reason to say the book of acts has been finished. WE ARE LIVING THE BOOK OF ACTS RIGHT NOW. Or at least those who are "In the Act" are. You see for the Christians (sadly including myself) who are not on the mission feild, preaching the word in boldness, performing miricles in His name & freeing people from bondage it is hard to see that the book of acts in relevant for today. For those that are doing it though it is more relivant than it ever was ;-)

SputnikBoy said:

sehad said:
Absolutely, without a doubt, yes, and of course. Now I'm sure that you have other things awaiting my answer but I have asked you the same question twice and will answer no others until you answer mine.

Sehad. I think I already responded to your questions on the previous page. Did you miss it? Anyway, I'll cut and paste (if I can) and present the post again.

Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:08 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
sehad said:
What language are you saying that angels speak? I'm not sure myself. Maybe they speak Hebrew or whatever the first language was. Honestly, I have been raised Pentecostal all my life and the first I have ever heard of "us" claiming it was "angel-talk" was from you and I'm assuming that you are not Pentecostal. But safe to say that if angels do have a different language, that it is foreign to us. Again, raised in it all my life and never seen anyone bark like a dog but I have seen someone laugh uncontrolably. Crackling like a goose?? Never seen that one either. You claim that "our" minconceptions of what tongues are is completely silly and a figment of our imagination but YOUR misconceptions of what we think tongues are is really worse. Please enlighten me to the following:

1. What tongues are

I'm not sure that you're still around in regard to this issue, sehad. You asked these questions of me a few weeks ago and I never spotted your post until now. So, I'll just be ever so brief.

What tongues are? Well, we only occasionally use the term 'tongues' these days. When we do, we usually refer to one's 'natural tongue' as being the language of their mother country. The 'tongues' of the Bible are used in a similar way. The 'gift of tongues' refers to one's ability to speak in the language of another without their having learned it.

sehad said:
2. Why is was for the day of Pentecost and not for us today

The ability to preach the gospel to other nations was what Jesus promised in Luke 24:47-49. It was a one-time phenomenon and not necessary for us today. We now have the completed Word of God in pretty well every language of the world.

sehad said:
3. Why they are no longer used today

As above. They served their purpose already.

sehad said:
[4. How you can tell the difference between "real" tongues and "babble"

If 'tongues' CAN be faked then assume that they ARE fake. There are correct guidelines for the use of 'tongues' in the scriptures. No Pentecostal follows these guidelines. REAL tongues are known languages of the world used to BENEFIT (EDIFY) THE HEARER.

Pentecostal 'tongues' are not only a sham ...they are also a mockery. I'm sorry, but I don't pull any punches on this topic.

Back