Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Do you believe everything in Acts is doctrinally for today

Do you believe everything in Acts is doctrinally for the church today?

• Total voters
SputnikBoy said:
mutzrein said:
Jay T

I am acquainted with what scripture says. If you find inconsistencies between different scriptures then I suggest your premise is wrong.

Hey mutz. If anyone can read all of the scriptures that are available and presented on this particular issue and come up with anything BUT inconsistencies I'll eat my hat.

Jay T (and others) provide scriptures all the time that exemplify God's commands and one's expected obedience to them. On the other hand, many people ignore those scriptures and opt for those that are - or seem to be - contrary to the 'if you love me, keep my commandments' scriptures.

Can you not see the glaring inconsistencies here? How would the newcomer to Christianity figure out these apparent discrepencies? Are we (Christians) to be obedient to God's commands or are we not? If we are then then why are we constantly at odds with each other? If we are not then what makes a Christian any different from a nonChristian?

'Christian or a non/Christian?' See Luke 12:47-48 for the 'professed' Christian ones!

Very good questions, this answer is what divides the True of Revelation 12:17 ones into one group of devil's (Revelation 3:9) & a small remnant of the 144000. (Revelation 7:)

Yet, take note that the ones here versed all go to church as did Saul, on the seventh day Sabbath. It was not that they did not love Christ even, (Revelation 3:16-17) it was that their love was to 'lukewarm' to deal with the sin issue amoung themselves! Joshua 7:12's last part of the verse. This is what caused the 'shaking' or 'falling away'. 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3.
Yet, notice who it was in Israel that left & who it was that stayed? And even the QUESTION is answered of whom (and what) it was that they LOVED! See the K.J. on John 12:42-43. Compare Isaiah 5:3 for their choice of doctrine & yoked membership over Christ! :sad
Surely some love, just more for the Isaiah 5:7 Vineyard or 'house' of Israel than for God! :crying:

I suggest that it is not the time for these ones being as their counterpart, as seen in Matthew 23:15 & Matthew 23:3, but that they clean up their own 'yoked memberships' openly documented dirty mess! See Isaiah 59:1-2 & Isaiah 58:1, but these ones Love their Christ, and their 'yoked brethern'????????? Then they are out getting others to join this, huh? :sad

Just another 'real' question: How are these 'all yoked together' ones any different than the 'yoked ones' of Revelation 18:4? True LOVE for Christ is the answer!
---John

Some 'earlier' Recorded Documentation:

OK: I made a statement in the Sabbath school class that it was recorded in the Church Review where there were 1000 converts overseas in one evangelistic meeting, and one year later there were only 50 left attending church. I was wrong! It was reported that Adventist's were having evangelistic meetings and that some of the baptized ones names were never being recorded, just the numbers.

But here is where I had read the record from. Notice that it is documented in the U.S. Court system as well as in the record books
of heaven.

March 26, 1991, court room No. 12.
General Conference Corporation of Seventh-day Adventist VS. Seventh-day Adventist Kinship International.

Ronald Larson was qualified as an expert witness, and gave a history of the S.D.A church, ... the S.D.A. church had become obsessed with church growth, and as a consequence its church membership rolls don't actually reflect true membership. For example, in one check made, 1,150 converts were taken into the church in one campaign in a foreign country, but a year later only 50 remained.

Witness Robert W. Nixon, General Counsel of the General Conference of S.D.A., indicated that Kinship defendants were in opposition to the S.D.A. church. (*Pay attention ALL!) But, he notes that their names were not removed from the membership rolls except for unusual reasons."

Dual membership! Revelation 18:4 does not apply to Adventists???What on earth would unusual reasons be if not a public lawsuit that they are 'openly gay'????

Now for another statement from my remark that is recorded in the Commentary No. 5, pg. 489 pertaining to Matt. 23:15
during the time that Christ remarked about verse 15.
"hundreds of thousands if not millions were being brought into the church." See Eccl. 1:9-10 & Eccl. 3:15.

The tongues in the book of Acts and the bable that goes on in many churches today are simply not the same thing.

YES what Acts talks about is for us all today, especially the parts about house churches. NO what we do often is NOT what was being done in the book of acts.

Pentcostal people bable and think they are speaking in tongues, even though what they are doing is not even close the biblical description. I say "O I don't beleive that" they say "You think the gift of tongues is not for today" I say "I do believe tongues are for today, but I don't beleive what you are doing is tongues in a biblical way, just emotoinal drivel"

It interest me that people are so quick to say someone is challenging the bible, when actually they are being challenged not the bible.

Henry said:
The tongues in the book of Acts and the bable that goes on in many churches today are simply not the same thing.

YES what Acts talks about is for us all today, especially the parts about house churches. NO what we do often is NOT what was being done in the book of acts.

Pentcostal people bable and think they are speaking in tongues, even though what they are doing is not even close the biblical description. I say "O I don't beleive that" they say "You think the gift of tongues is not for today" I say "I do believe tongues are for today, but I don't beleive what you are doing is tongues in a biblical way, just emotoinal drivel"

It interest me that people are so quick to say someone is challenging the bible, when actually they are being challenged not the bible.

Having been in these churches and been through the babble, I disagree. What is different between the babble and the tongues of Acts? People around accused them of being drunk in the early hours so obviously it wasn't very structured. Emotional drive would soon fade from someone unless there was something with substance. Simply put, emotional drive can only last for so long, without substance the "experience" would perish within someone not continue to build. Please tell me what the tongues of Acts were and how they were manifested?

Agreed Henry. How one can walk into a church and be impressed by the 'babble' that may be going on defies scriptural logic as to what tongues were and why they were given in the first place.

The Greek word (in ALL cases of 'tongue-speaking' - WITHOUT exception) is 'glossa'. It simply means 'foreign (as in 'worldly') language'. 'Angel-speak' is a figment of the (Pentecostal) imagination. Barking like a dog or rolling around the floor giggling uncontrolably may have some validity, however ...not sure about cackling like a goose. :wink:

SputnikBoy said:
Agreed Henry. How one can walk into a church and be impressed by the 'babble' that may be going on defies scriptural logic as to what tongues were and why they were given in the first place.

The Greek word (in ALL cases of 'tongue-speaking' - WITHOUT exception) is 'glossa'. It simply means 'foreign (as in 'worldly') language'. 'Angel-speak' is a figment of the (Pentecostal) imagination. Barking like a dog or rolling around the floor giggling uncontrolably may have some validity, however ...not sure about cackling like a goose. :wink:

What language are you saying that angels speak? I'm not sure myself. Maybe they speak Hebrew or whatever the first language was. Honestly, I have been raised Pentecostal all my life and the first I have ever heard of "us" claiming it was "angel-talk" was from you and I'm assuming that you are not Pentecostal. But safe to say that if angels do have a different language, that it is foreign to us. Again, raised in it all my life and never seen anyone bark like a dog but I have seen someone laugh uncontrolably. Crackling like a goose?? Never seen that one either. You claim that "our" minconceptions of what tongues are is completely silly and a figment of our imagination but YOUR misconceptions of what we think tongues are is really worse. Please enlighten me to the following:

1. What tongues are

2. Why is was for the day of Pentecost and not for us today

3. Why they are no longer used today

4. How you can tell the difference between "real" tongues and "babble"

sehad said:
SputnikBoy said:

What language are you saying that angels speak? I'm not sure myself. Maybe they speak Hebrew or whatever the first language was. Honestly, I have been raised Pentecostal all my life and the first I have ever heard of "us" claiming it was "angel-talk" was from you and I'm assuming that you are not Pentecostal. But safe to say that if angels do have a different language, that it is foreign to us. Again, raised in it all my life and never seen anyone bark like a dog but I have seen someone laugh uncontrolably. Crackling like a goose?? Never seen that one either. You claim that "our" minconceptions of what tongues are is completely silly and a figment of our imagination but YOUR misconceptions of what we think tongues are is really worse. Please enlighten me to the following:

1. What tongues are

I'm not sure that you're still around in reard to this issue, sehad. You asked these questions of me a few weeks ago and I never spotted your post until now. So, I'll just be ever so brief.

What tongues are? Well, we only occasionally use the term 'tongues' these days. When we do, we usually refer to one's 'natural tongue' as being the language of their mother country. The 'tongues' of the Bible are used in a similar way. The 'gift of tongues' refers to one's ability to speak in the language of another without their having learned it.

sehad said:
2. Why is was for the day of Pentecost and not for us today

The ability to preach the gospel to other nations was what Jesus promised in Luke 24:47-49. It was a one-time phenomenon and not necessary for us today. We now have the completed Word of God in pretty well every language of the world.

sehad said:
3. Why they are no longer used today

As above. They served their purpose already.

sehad said:
[4. How you can tell the difference between "real" tongues and "babble"

If 'tongues' CAN be faked then assume that they ARE fake. There are correct guidelines for the use of 'tongues' in the scriptures. No Pentecostal follows these guidelines. REAL tongues are known languages of the world used to BENEFIT (EDIFY) THE HEARER.

Pentecostal 'tongues' are not only a sham ...they are also a mockery. I'm sorry, but I don't pull any punches on this topic.

jgredline said:
If God is the same yesterday, today and tomarrow and he speaks to us through his word, why would it not apply?????

God also commanded that people be put to death for profaning the Sabbath. Is God STILL the same yesterday, today and tomorrow? If so, there will be a REAL blood-bath this coming weekend.

Further to my above post to you, sehad. Every 'tongue-speaker' I've ever heard about points to 1 Corinthians 13:1 (reference to 'tongues of angels') as authority for their 'tongues'. So, I have no idea why you've never heard about 'angel-speak' from anyone other than me. Perhaps you haven't listened.

SputnikBoy said:
jgredline said:
If God is the same yesterday, today and tomarrow and he speaks to us through his word, why would it not apply?????

God also commanded that people be put to death for profaning the Sabbath. Is God STILL the same yesterday, today and tomorrow? If so, there will be a REAL blood-bath this coming weekend.

Sput.., this 'post' needs addressing! :fadein:
When we believe the Word of God, how do we see Christ's Words of Matthew 18:18 if not the final 'strange act' of God in ones own 'free will' chosen execution? See Nahum 1:9

--John

John the Baptist said:
SputnikBoy said:
jgredline said:

When we believe the Word of God, how do we see Christ's Words of Matthew 18:18 if not the final 'strange act' of God in ones own 'free will' chosen execution? See Nahum 1:9

--John

Sput
By your answer alone you need to get on your knees and thank the LORD that you were born this side of the cross. Trully you do not understand and its easy to see how you take scriptures out of contex. Yep I learned all that about you with your dumb amswer.

jgredline said:
Sput
By your answer alone you need to get on your knees and thank the LORD that you were born this side of the cross. Trully you do not understand and its easy to see how you take scriptures out of contex. Yep I learned all that about you with your dumb amswer.

You sure know how to hurt a guy. :smt022

John the Baptist said:
SputnikBoy said:
jgredline said:

--John

John, could you ask me a straight question regarding your above post? Jgredline is right. I AM kinda dumb. :smt017

jgredline said:
John the Baptist said:
SputnikBoy said:
jgredline said:

--John

Sput

I came back to this post because I find it very interesting within Christianity how certain parts of the Bible are SO black and white to many whereas others are all but swept under the carpet.

Question for you, jgredline. What about those such as the man executed for collecting sticks on the Sabbath (Numbers 15:32-36) and others who were unfortunate enough to be born on the OTHER side of the cross ...does God resurrect them, offer them an apology, and send them on their way?

SputnikBoy said:
jgredline said:
John the Baptist said:
SputnikBoy said:
jgredline said:

--John

Sput
By your answer alone you need to get on your knees and thank the LORD that you were born this side of the cross. Truly you do not understand and its easy to see how you take scriptures out of contex. Yep I learned all that about you with your dumb amswer.

I came back to this post because I find it very interesting within Christianity how certain parts of the Bible are SO black and white to many whereas others are all but swept under the carpet.

Question for you, jgredline. What about those such as the man executed for collecting sticks on the Sabbath (Numbers 15:32-36) and others who were unfortunate enough to be born on the OTHER side of the cross ...does God resurrect them, offer them an apology, and send them on their way?

Seeing that I am not the one that the question is for, let me just address the forum? If God said that I am not to jump off a water tower, or I will die, (on either of the cross) what becomes of me if I dis/obey?

It seems that all of the worlds mess came about with God telling Adam & Eve to stay away from the forbidden tree in the midst of the Garden of Eden, and they dis/obeyed? Now back to the Numbers 15:32-36 question. Who on either side of the cross will not die because of [known presumptuous] dis/obedience? Check out Psalm 19:13

--John

John the Baptist said:
SputnikBoy said:
jgredline said:
[quote="John the Baptist":2dac8]
SputnikBoy said:
jgredline said:

--John

Sput
By your answer alone you need to get on your knees and thank the LORD that you were born this side of the cross. Truly you do not understand and its easy to see how you take scriptures out of contex. Yep I learned all that about you with your dumb amswer.

Seeing that I am not the one that the question is for, let me just address the forum? If God said that I am not to jump off a water tower, or I will die, (on either of the cross) what becomes of me if I dis/obey?

It seems that all of the worlds mess came about with God telling Adam & Eve to stay away from the forbidden tree in the midst of the Garden of Eden, and they dis/obeyed? Now back to the Numbers 15:32-36 question. Who on either side of the cross will not die because of [known presumptuous] dis/obedience? Check out Psalm 19:13

--John
[/quote:2dac8]

Sput
Salvation was obtained the same way in the old testiment as in the new. By Faith.
There is much confusion on how people were saved in the OT era. Many people mistakenly believe that prior to the cross people were saved by offering animal sacrifices and by keeping the Law of Moses. Many others, including many Free Grace people, wrongly think that OT believers weren't sure of their salvation, didn't believe in eternal security, and didn't know that eternal life was by faith alone in the Messiah alone.

We can go to the OT to determine how people were saved during that time (see, for example, Gen 15:6; Isa 52:13-53:12; Hab 2:4). However, for the purposes of this brief article, we will let the NT interpret the OT for us. Scripture is without error. Therefore, when a passage in the NT tells us how people prior to the cross obtained eternal salvation, we can be sure that is how they were indeed saved.
Not by Offering Animal Sacrifices

While animal sacrifices were prescribed by God, they were never intended to provide eternal salvation. According to the author of Hebrews, "in those sacrifices there was a reminder of sins every year. For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins" (Heb 10:3-4). Animal sacrifices showed the worshipers their need and made them able to approach God. They also pointed ahead to the ultimate sacrifice, the Lamb of God who would take away the sins of the world (John 1:29; 8:56).
Not by Keeping the Commandments

While God gave Israel the Law of Moses, it was never designed to provide eternal salvation. "Therefore, by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin" (Rom 3:20). No one ever gained, or ever will gain, eternal salvation by keeping God's commandments. To break even one command in your entire lifetime is all it takes to stand condemned before God (Jas 2:10). And yet "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Rom 3:23).
Not by Believing in God Apart from the Messiah

While God expects people to believe He exists, that belief has never been sufficient to obtain eternal life. Eternal life has always been by faith in the Messiah whom God sends. No OT person was ever saved apart from such faith. How do we know this? The apostle Paul uses Abraham as an example of all who believe in Christ for eternal salvation apart from works (Rom 4:1-5; Gal 3:6-14). Paul's example is invalid if Abraham wasn't believing in the coming Messiah and Him alone for eternal life.

Similarly, Jesus rebuked his Jewish audience for not believing in Him, when their forefather, Abraham, had (John 8:37-58, see esp. v 56, "Abraham rejoiced to see My day"). "You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me" (John 5:39). Many Jews mistakenly thought that by careful observance of the commands of the OT they would merit eternal life. Yet eternal life was only by faith in the Messiah. They claimed to believe Moses, who wrote the Pentateuch, yet to them the Lord said, "If you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me" (John 5:46).

A common misconception prevails that the content of the gospel changed as God gave more revelation. This causes some to think that prior to Calvary people were saved by works, or by faith in God apart from faith in the coming Messiah. However, the essential content of the gospel has not changed at all. Eternal salvation has always been conditioned upon faith in the Messiah. They looked ahead. We look back. We both believe in the Messiah for eternal life. (Of course, prior to Jesus' beginning His ministry people who believed in the Messiah did not know what His given name would be. After that point people had to believe specifically in Jesus, since the coming Messiah had now come and His name was known.)
"By Faith Alone in Christ Alone"

Grace Evangelical Society's motto summarizes an accurate explanation of OT and NT salvation. There is, was, and always will be only one gospel. The gospel of Adam, Moses, Abraham, and David is also the gospel according to Jesus, Peter, Paul, and the other apostles. It always has been and always will be by faith alone in Christ alone.

When Jesus conducted His ministry, the Jewish people were still under the Law of Moses. Yet Jesus promised the immediate reception of eternal life to all who believed in Him (e.g., John 3:14-18; 4:10ff.; 5:24; 6:47; 11:25-27). His promise did not wait to go into effect until the cross. And John was completely comfortable proclaiming Jesus' saving message to people in the Church Age (John 20:31). If the gospel changed after Pentecost, then one could not be saved by believing the gospel which Jesus preached!

Jesus' teaching to correct the faulty understanding of the gospel prevalent among most of the Jews was, for the most part, rejected. Though the earliest believers were nearly all Jewish, most Jews rejected the free gift of eternal life (John 1:11). Jesus told of the self-righteous Pharisee who thanked God that he was such a good person--quite unlike the tax collectors and harlots of this world! (Luke 18:9-12). That Pharisee, Jesus said, was not justified before God (Luke 18:14). Just as today most people--Jewish or Gentile--do not believe in Him for eternal life, neither did most people before Calvary. The way that leads to life has always been narrow and there have always been few who have found it (Matt 7:13-14).
Practical Ramifications

Unbelievers are lost. Recently I received a call from a man asking about OT salvation because the issue had come up at his church. Someone in a Bible study had argued that since OT people could be saved without believing in Christ, so could people today. He felt that those who never heard the gospel could be saved if they were sincerely trying to follow their religion, just as people before Calvary were saved by sincerely trying to keep their religion.

The logic seems fine--except for one thing. People in the OT who didn't believe in the coming Messiah were lost (John 5:39-47). No one was ever saved by keeping his own religion. There is no contradiction here. People today, as in the past, can only be saved by believing in Christ. And people today, just as in the past, who have not heard the gospel, have the benefit of general revelation. God is drawing all, and to anyone who responds to that drawing, God will send more light, and ultimately the gospel message itself.

Assurance of eternal security has nothing to do with works. Assurance has always been based solely on believing God's promise in the Messiah. I know that I'm eternally secure the same way Martha, Abraham, Moses, and David knew--because of believing Christ's promise (John 8:56; 11:25-27; Rom 4:1-8; Heb 11:8-29). His promise is definite, clear, objective. It is external to me. No matter what I do, His promise remains. My works, good or bad, do nothing to alter His promise. Believers in OT times, like NT believers, understood this. Though many people in OT times, like many today, may have been linking assurance to works (Matt 7:21-23; John 6:28), that never was a correct understanding of the gospel. That is salvation by works, not salvation by grace through faith plus nothing. If an OT person thought he had to do good works to stay saved, or to prove he was saved, then he didn't believe the promise. In order to gain eternal life then, as now, people had to believe that Christ guarantees eternal security to all who simply believe in Him for it.

Explain OT salvation by means of clear NT texts. Scripture accurately interprets itself. Thus the simplest way to explain OT salvation is to go to a passage like Rom 4:1-8. There Paul uses Abraham and David to show that OT people believed in the Messiah for eternal life. They knew salvation was a gift, not a debt. They knew it was by faith alone, apart from their works. When people question you about OT salvation, suggest to them one of three or four clear passages. In addition to Romans 4, I would suggest John 5:38-47, Gal 3:6-14, and Heb 10:1-18. Remind them that the Gospel of John contains Jesus' message to "OT people" on how they could have eternal life, and that that message is still in effect today. Dealing with this issue is a great way to share the gospel because it answers a basic question all people have. If people were saved before Calvary by keeping God's commands, surely they can be saved that way today. But they weren't and they can't be! Salvation has been and always will be, as the Reformers said, "sola fide"--by faith alone.

Thanks for the above post, jgredline. You did well.

I still don't believe in the authenticity of Pentecostal 'tongues', however.

Re: Do you believe everything in Acts is doctrinally for tod

AVBunyan said:
Do you believe everything in Acts is doctrinally for the church today? And I mean every verse in Acts - is it doctrinally for you today?

Sure do! :fadein:

Right on down to the very letter. It started at the Early Rain of Pentecost and will end with the Later Rain as prophesied. And all gifts will again be seen when needed. (most are even seen as needed today, and surely, the devil counterfeits them all)

And the same 'scene' seen in Acts & just prior? Will all again be seen! Time frame even. Christ's first coming & just before Christ's second coming. The babel (folds) are even the same! John 10:16 & Revelation 18:4. All gifts are even used in satans evil 2 Corinthians 4:2 twisting!

Acts 2:17 is even being seen today in escalating force. What greater force could be accomplished than that of being re/Born?

Another Acts 5:1-11 highlight seen will again be done [by God Himself]. Open sin was the New Church's responsibility to deal with. But here we see secret 'presumptuous' sin's accountability. This shows that God does not change in the O.T or N.T. requirement of surrender and then obedience! Acts 5:32.

When one thinks of Acts 5:1-11 one needs to think of the Revelation 17:1-5 verses and what their outcome (fate) will be? Ezekiel 9 will be finding many more this time around! :sad In all of the 'folds' on earth today, most are still holding without change, to doctrines that the leadership know full well are not Virgin in Truth! And have been lying to the Holy Ghost for years. See Romans 8:14 & Genesis 6:3. And we as individuals of these many forums? See Hosea 4:6's stated fact! :sad Even see the graph of who believes in the book of Acts???

Such as.. an eternal burning hell, a secrete rapture, a second chance 1000 year period, only believe, O.S.A.S., catholic garbage, wheat & tares growing together 'include' open sinners, ye shall not surely die, Christ was created, sun sacredness, law gone, plus much more, huh?

Just a closing note: The book of Acts finds the Holy Spirit falling on only the sincere. The church had already had the Matthew 25 Midnight Cry & had mostly Separated the wheat from the tares. A true type of 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3, compare 1 Peter 4:17 & Acts 2:18 that is now being in progress.

The fatal flaw, is for one to think that of all the 'folds', that the fold itself will have the Holy Spirit fall on them! Only the sincere obedient ones that are in ignorance 'in' these folds are to receive the Holy Spirits Latter Rain! Acts 2:19 & Revelation 18:4.

The only [United fold] that has the Later Rain will be as was seen in the Early Rain, the ones who are SEPARATE from open sin and sinners. The ones of Acts are once again United & Organized as in Christ's Everlasting Gospel & with His Eternal Covenant conditions being meant. And notice that they are the ones being killed in satans war. Revelation 12:17 & compare Revelation 3:9! The 7 church's of Rev. are only the ones with Virgin doctrines, not the Rev. 17:5 ones.

---John

"Do you believe everything in Acts is doctrinally for the church today? And I mean every verse in Acts - is it doctrinally for you today?"

Yes as long as it is not misinterpreted, and is in context with the bible. For example baptism in Jesus name deals with the authority of Jesus not the word we call him by, if that where the case Jesus would be wrong, it isn't what he called in jewish

Back