Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Do you have to be baptized to achieve salvation?

I have not been keeping up with this thread, so this may have already been addressed. Where does Scripture call baptism a "work"? It seems to me that if you are going to claim Paul's "faith vs. works" verses somehow contradict 2 Pt, there should be proof Paul meant baptism, or at least something other than works of the law.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have not been keeping up with this thread, so this may have already been addressed. Where does Scripture call baptism a "work"? It seems to me that if you are going to claim Paul's "faith vs. works" verses somehow contradict 2 Pt, there should be proof Paul meant baptism, or at least something other than works of the law.

Nothing wrong with work... Why does work have to be such a negative word?

When we get the mentality that we have to "Work" for a "Wage", that's where the issue comes in.

When we believe that we MUST be baptized to be saved, then our "Work" is based on a reward system, and not grace. When we are doing the "Work" of the Lord, then it is by grace that we are saved, and not of ourselves.

A "work" is usually seen, by the average person, as 1)something physical, 2)something which takes specific knowledge of said physical act, 3)something which if not performed with the said knowledge one is not saved, no matter the circumstance, and 4)something which takes effort on our part, implying it might be impossible for someone to do, implying salvation is no free gift- you must do something for it.

A physical act which has a certain belief attached to it, and if you don't do it with the correct belief attached you are not saved- even though there are circumstances that it might be impossible to do said physical act.

Nothing wrong with work... Why does work have to be such a negative word?

When we get the mentality that we have to "Work" for a "Wage", that's where the issue comes in.

When we believe that we MUST be baptized to be saved, then our "Work" is based on a reward system, and not grace. When we are doing the "Work" of the Lord, then it is by grace that we are saved, and not of ourselves.

I don't see how the recepient of the baptism "works" or earns anything, especially with infant baptism. This is pure Grace. So in a very real sense, infant, water baptism is salvation by Grace alone.

A "work" is usually seen, by the average person, as 1)something physical, 2)something which takes specific knowledge of said physical act, 3)something which if not performed with the said knowledge one is not saved, no matter the circumstance, and 4)something which takes effort on our part, implying it might be impossible for someone to do, implying salvation is no free gift- you must do something for it.

A physical act which has a certain belief attached to it, and if you don't do it with the correct belief attached you are not saved- even though there are circumstances that it might be impossible to do said physical act.

OK. Where does Scripture teach this, or more specifically, where does Paul reference baptism (or any other action) as a "work"? All I can see is that, to Paul, "works" mean "works of the law".

OK, I see where you're coming from now.

BTW, while I am of the "nonecessary baptism" stock, this is not why I'm putting forward the reasons I am. because as you said, we could say the same exact thing for "belief alone". No matter whether we believe it's belief alone, or belief+baptism, or whatever, we must all grapple with the facts that in the universe that God made, there are obviously circumstances that fit into this line of reasoning (ie, "they would have believed/been baptized").

So really, when I bring this real life vs Bible discrepancy up (the discrepancy being that: the Bible nowhere [I don't think] addresses the circumstance of a person who "would have been" baptized given the opportunity, vs the world that God made is full of this particular circumstance), I myself must face the situation from the same vs scenario, just replacing "belief" with "baptism".

But let's see. . .

1) Gen 1:1: God creates all things, including the circumstances I mentioned above
2) Ex 33(34?), Rom 8:end, 1 John 4: God is all loving
3) Your scriptures and line of reasoning: Baptism is necessary for salvation
4) Therefore. . .

I don't think the argument really works, since an all loving God would not create a circumstance were one would not gain salvation through no fault of their own. We might as well believe in original sin (which we both find absolutely repugnant).

We must somehow address and grapple with circumstances which happen in real life, not just say "bibleonlybibleonlybibleonlybibleonly", since God created everything (obviously including those real life circumstances not addressed in the Bible).

God created man, man of his own free will choices creates the circumstances. If God caused all circumstances to happen against man's will then God becomes culpalbe for a lot of sins. God does not owe man time, so if one dies before he believes or before he is baptized that is not God's fault. Acts 24, Felix said to Paul "Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee." God does not owe Felix time so if Felix finds the circumstance where he is on a deathbed and unable to believe and be baptized that is not God's fault. A person who lives their entire life in disobedience to God, but then in the last few moments of life while facing death have a big change of heart. This fear of death creates a desire to be obey God and be saved but they are unable to believe or unable to baptized, God has no obligation to save this person.

And what about all those people who have come and gone through this world that never heard the gospel? It could have been many may have believed if they just heard the gospel, but because of 'circumstances' they never heard and will be lost. If we give out free passes to those who died who wanted to baptized but couldn't, who wanted to believe but couldn't, then we have to give a free pass to all those who would have believed the gospel, they did not hear but would have believed the gospel if they had heard. If these people are saved separate and apart from the gospel then we just made the gospel unessential to salvation, rendered the gospel completely useless, Rom 1:16 becomes a lie. Like I said earlier, give me enough time and I can come up with all kinds of 'circumstances' that can make the entire bible invalid and useless.

Ephesians 2.8 & 9:

Where does it mention baptism there?

In Eph 2:8 the Ephesians were saved by faith through faith. Biblcal faith includes baptism:

Eph 2:8---------faith>>>>>>>>>>>>>saved
1Pet3:21-------baptism>>>>>>>>>>>save

Since there is just one way to be saved, then the Ephesian's faith must have included baptism. When Paul said in v9 'not of works' he was excluding works of merit not works of obedience as the work of faith, 1 Thess 1:3; Gal 5:6.
This same Paul said in Rom 6 that the Romans obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine (baptism) then they were free from sin/justified. Their obedience lead to their justification.

farouk, just because some verses don't mention baptism doesn't mean that baptism isn't necessary. Many texts which speak of belief do not mention repentance, yet we know that repentance is necessary to salvation. The thing is, many texts emphasize that we are to be baptized, that baptism joins us in Christ's death and that baptism is tied with our cleansing of sin. Just because there are texts that don't deal with the specifics of baptism doesn't discount all the texts that do.

Just want to clarify that while I finally understood what Ernest T. was saying, I don't necessarily agree with it.

I think it all really comes back to the thief on the cross. Ernest T. and others seem to believe that this isn't a valid case of someone in the NT coming to salvation without baptism... I believe it is. I've found those that discount the testimony of the thief on the cross tend to drag in assumptions that he "must have" been baptized by John or someone previous to his death on the cross. I pretty much reject that out right... There is no reason to add that dimension to the testimony since the bible gives absolutely no grounds for believing it. Much is made of the fact that he seems familiar with the story... as if anyone in Jerusalem wasn't aware of who Jesus was by now. They had already seen Barabbas freed in place of Jesus, so they knew at least the basics of the fact that a man who did nothing more than preach was being crucified in place of a known criminal. The only reason to make the jump from the fact that the thief knew of Jesus to the idea that he "must have been previously baptized" would be simply to bolster the claim that no one can ever be saved without water baptism.... something the Bible does not say.

Also, Ernest brought up this:
Again, the thief is not an example of NT salvation so the thief is a bad argument anyway. Rom 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." At the time the thief was promised paradise, Christ had not yet died much less been raised from the dead, so the thief could not have the NT belief that saves which Paul requires in this verse. At the time the thief was promised paradise, he and Christ were both alive and under the OT law. Acts 2:38 came into effect some time later after the thief died. We today who live after Acts 2:38 are accountable to it.

I respectfully disagree with this as well, Ernest. First, the thief did confess his faith in the fact that Jesus was not going to remain dead... even as they both hung there on the cross, the thief, by faith, said, "Remember me when You come into Your kingdom." In a way, his faith was even greater, because he believed even more than what the disciples at the time believed... that Jesus was obviously not going to remain in death but be coming into His kingdom. We tend to forget that resurrection was a teaching of the time...one the thief believed regarding Jesus.

I also disagree with the idea that somehow Acts 2:38 is a line of demarcation in how people are saved. Jesus, John and the disciples were already baptizing for the repentance of sins... the only difference is now the Holy Spirit had come... something all the OT people and even the thief could only hope in faith for. But, we know from Hebrews 11 that those who hoped in faith were saved just as we are, by the work of Christ on the cross, something the thief recognized and believed.

And finally there is this from Ernest T.:
Mk 16:16 is a compound sentence. The first part deals with salvation the second with condemnation. If one desires to be saved look at the first part and believe and be baptized. If one desires to be lost, look to the second part and simply not believe. One does not have to both not believe and not be baptized to be lost, unbelief is sufficient.

Moreover, in the first part, the conjunction "and" ties belief to baptism making them inseparable and of equal importance. This means baptism is just as necessary to salvation as belief is.

Lastly, in the first part Jesus made belief a prerequisite to being baptized. No one can be scripturally baptized without first believing. So when Jesus said "he that believeth not" that phrase automatically includes not being baptized.

Now, I don't disagree with what you say here, except that none of this deals with the fact that there have been people who have came into belief, but yet, through no fault of their own, were unable to be baptized prior to their imminent death.

If Jesus had said, "Anyone who disbelieves or has not been baptized will be condemned" then I would agree, there could be no situation in which an unbaptized person, including the thief, could be saved. But, He did not say that, anymore than the Scriptures say that the thief had been baptized previously.

So, bottom line for me, baptism is most necessary, but if one believes, repents and desires to be baptized, then gets slammed by a truck, God in His mercy will deal with the person's heart, not the fact that... "Gee, I know you believed in Me, repented of your sins and begged forgiveness and would have loved to have been baptized, but too bad... that truck got you before you could. So, off to eternal damnation for you!"

If the thief is an example of savlation for us today, then we today can be saved apart from NT belief, apart from the gospel of Christ. For when the thief was promised paradise, he and Christ were both alive living under the OT law for the NT gospel had not yet came into effect.

Handy posted "So, bottom line for me, baptism is most necessary, but if one believes, repents and desires to be baptized, then gets slammed by a truck, God in His mercy will deal with the person's heart, not the fact that... "Gee, I know you believed in Me, repented of your sins and begged forgiveness and would have loved to have been baptized, but too bad... that truck got you before you could. So, off to eternal damnation for you!"

What if you were to have a bible study with someone who had never heard the gospel message. On their way to have a bible study with you they were slammed by a truck and died. Had they made it to the bible study they would have believed but died before they could. Will he be saved anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw at least one time in this thread where someone said, "I'm going to make this easy.". :)

A lot of things aren't easy, but His yoke is.

Matthew 11
"
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

I'm not criticizing anyone in this thread or on this board. Where would CFnet be without debates? The fact that we have to debate something we are told to do (whether it's required for salvation or not) seems to be getting off target. :shrug

Ah, but there's the rub. You say "The fact that we have to debate something we are told to do...".

Since we are told by God to be baptized (actually commanded by God to be baptized, Acts 2:38) it is not an option but a MUST, as Jesus said "ye MUST be born again". Therefore if for no other reason, just being told/commanded by God to be baptized makes baptism a requirement. That means not being baptized is disobeying what God told/commanded us and disobedience is sin and God has vengeance upon those who "obey not", 2 Thess 1:8.

If I understand dad-of-10, I agree baptism is not a work of human righteousness or merit. On the other hand I disagree that the scriptures teach infant baptism. Baptism is for the remission of sins, Acts 2:38; baptism is a burial in the water, Acts 8:35-39 and baptism is for the believer (the infant is incapable of this ) Mark 16:15,16.

God created man, man of his own free will choices creates the circumstances. If God caused all circumstances to happen against man's will then God becomes culpalbe for a lot of sins. God does not owe man time, so if one dies before he believes or before he is baptized that is not God's fault. Acts 24, Felix said to Paul "Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee." God does not owe Felix time so if Felix finds the circumstance where he is on a deathbed and unable to believe and be baptized that is not God's fault. A person who lives their entire life in disobedience to God, but then in the last few moments of life while facing death have a big change of heart. This fear of death creates a desire to be obey God and be saved but they are unable to believe or unable to baptized, God has no obligation to save this person.
Totally agree with your point here

And what about all those people who have come and gone through this world that never heard the gospel? It could have been many may have believed if they just heard the gospel, but because of 'circumstances' they never heard and will be lost. If we give out free passes to those who died who wanted to baptized but couldn't, who wanted to believe but couldn't, then we have to give a free pass to all those who would have believed the gospel, they did not hear but would have believed the gospel if they had heard. If these people are saved separate and apart from the gospel then we just made the gospel unessential to salvation, rendered the gospel completely useless, Rom 1:16 becomes a lie. Like I said earlier, give me enough time and I can come up with all kinds of 'circumstances' that can make the entire bible invalid and useless.
I agree with your point here about free passes and all kinds of circumstances. I guess where we disagree (and are gonna have to "agree to disagree") is that were you see this as the stopping point, I still try and grapple this. In fact, since I entered into this thread, I've bee trying to recollect any type of Bible stories, bible verses, etc. that would address a person through no fault of their own not being able to be baptized.

I guess I see the NT God more like the OT God of Naaman, were Naaman did what he was told very reluctantly, and it wasn't sacrifice. And then Naaman basically got a free pass to sin by Elisha. see God as being able to "bend the rules", His own rules, if the situation calls for it, or if He just wills it.

Free passes? Yes. Just like Paul said, that under grace we can do all thing. Will people abuse this? As Paul said, yes. But that didn't stop Paul from preaching it. Abuse of a thing isn't what we judge the thing by.

Baptizim is an act of obediance and and act of faith meaning one gets baptized because they have been saved. First you believe then you get baptized. anything that suggest salvation by us doing something or not doing something is wrong Christ did it all we accept it by faith then we floow Him into Baptizim as HE did and all of the Deciples. Baptizim is an action to an inward work.

OK. Where does Scripture teach this, or more specifically, where does Paul reference baptism (or any other action) as a "work"? All I can see is that, to Paul, "works" mean "works of the law".

I was saying that baptism definitely fits the criterion I laid out above. Does scripture say these exact words? No- but the obvious retort of "the bible doesn't have a systematic treatise on the trinity, or even the word trinity" is how I must respond.

I agree, it seems Paul is talking about works of the law, the Jewish law. But if one looks at the lists of sins and the lists of good deeds Paul records, all of them are pretty much ways of life, as opposed to specific acts. Lying, fornication, witchcraft; love, righteousness, mourning with those who mourn: these are a lot different than "build a wall around your roof" or "On the 7th week after this feast, hold another feast".

The point: To me, these lists of sins and admonitions, which Paul lays out for us, seems to be staying away from ALL laborious, merit earning works- in other words, Paul doesn't just say "Works of the law don't justify you: instead, do these works that are not in the OT law and they will justify you". he does this by specifically making sure his lists of sins and good deeds stay away from specific acts, and stay more on the side of ways of life. Thus, it seems Paul is arguing NO work justifies you. And baptism, well:

Infant baptism is a work on the families part. God would not, I don't think, put my salvation into the hands of fallen human beings- either my families hands (infant baptism) or my own hands(regular ole baptism). That's all I'm getting at.

What if you were to have a bible study with someone who had never heard the gospel message. On their way to have a bible study with you they were slammed by a truck and died. Had they made it to the bible study they would have believed but died before they could. Will he be saved anyway?

I respond with "only God knows, since only God knows his heart and his life and his counterfactuals and etc. etc." It seems you'd respond with "We know he's not saved".

I thought only God knows the heart.

If I understand dad-of-10, I agree baptism is not a work of human righteousness or merit. On the other hand I disagree that the scriptures teach infant baptism. Baptism is for the remission of sins, Acts 2:38; baptism is a burial in the water, Acts 8:35-39 and baptism is for the believer (the infant is incapable of this ) Mark 16:15,16.

Then do you also agree that we are not saved by faith alone? That baptism saves?

Although not directly supported by the RCC, the idea of LIMBO is widely accepted in the Catholic church.

Was, not anymore. It was never defined as doctrine, yet was, as you rightly pointed out, widely accepted. The only thing the church teaches now about innocent babies who die without receiving baptism is they are in a place where they are totally happy, which rules out Hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
One can be saved by faith alone. Or at least, faith without a baptism which requires one to do a specific ritual at a specific time and place with the correct beliefs and the correctly ordained clergy, aka water baptism. "Baptism of desire" is not water baptism, right?

I was saying that baptism definitely fits the criterion I laid out above. Does scripture say these exact words? No- but the obvious retort of "the bible doesn't have a systematic treatise on the trinity, or even the word trinity" is how I must respond.

I didn't ask for a treatise, just one verse that even loosly alludes to your take that baptism is a "work" according to Paul. The ONLY thing Paul means when he uses the word "works" is "works of the law". The Trinity is alluded to in Scripture, albiet vaguely (the Holy Spirit, anyway). Baptism being "something which takes effort on our part, implying it might be impossible for someone to do, implying salvation is no free gift- you must do something for it" is not even vaguely alluded to in Scripture.

I agree, it seems Paul is talking about works of the law, the Jewish law. But if one looks at the lists of sins and the lists of good deeds Paul records, all of them are pretty much ways of life, as opposed to specific acts. Lying, fornication, witchcraft; love, righteousness, mourning with those who mourn: these are a lot different than "build a wall around your roof" or "On the 7th week after this feast, hold another feast".

I agree, God wants us to change our whole life and give it totally to Him. He wants it all.

The point: To me, these lists of sins and admonitions, which Paul lays out for us, seems to be staying away from ALL laborious, merit earning works- in other words, Paul doesn't just say "Works of the law don't justify you: instead, do these works that are not in the OT law and they will justify you". he does this by specifically making sure his lists of sins and good deeds stay away from specific acts, and stay more on the side of ways of life. Thus, it seems Paul is arguing NO work justifies you.

I think you are stretching the definition of "works" to include "merit earning works" when there is no evidence from Paul that he did.

And baptism, well:

Infant baptism is a work on the families part. God would not, I don't think, put my salvation into the hands of fallen human beings- either my families hands (infant baptism) or my own hands(regular ole baptism). That's all I'm getting at.

God's salvation is by Grace alone. That the baby was born into a family that believes in baptism, is a Grace to the baby. It's the same principle you reference when you say "or my own hands". Do you perform a "work" when you "accept Jesus as Lord and savior"? It's something you MUST do to be saved, right? If you DON'T "accept Him" will you be saved? Yet the "will and the work" are both gifts from God, so that YOU don't claim you DID anything, only just responded to Gods Grace. It's the same with baptism. In fact, infant baptism is ALL Grace because it saves without ANY response at all.

One can be saved by faith alone. Or at least, faith without a baptism which requires one to do a specific ritual at a specific time and place with the correct beliefs and the correctly ordained clergy, aka water baptism.

Correct, but this is not the norm. The norm is baptism, faith, good deeds, keeping the commandments, regular prayer, Mass, recieving the sacraments and dying in a state of Grace. As I said above, God wants it all, because it's in OUR best interest if He has it.

"Baptism of desire" is not water baptism, right?

Correct again. Baptism of desire is what the Thief on the cross recieved. A "deathbed conversion" is a more common form of this.

Back