Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Do you keep the sabbath? (christians)

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Im seeing some conflicting information online

No, because the (Saturday) sabbath was given to the people of Israel as a day of rest, and a sign of the covenant with Moses. It is not applicable to Christians.

The covenant with Moses and with the people of Israel was an expansion of the covenant with Abraham ). The sign was the sabbath.

Taking the book of the covenant, he read it aloud to the people, who answered, “All that the Lord has said, we will heed and do.” Then he took the blood and sprinkled it on the people, saying, “This is the blood of the covenant which the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words of his.”
(Ex 24:7-8)

‘The Lord said to Moses, “Say to the people of Israel, 'You shall keep my sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the LORD, sanctify you.…...

Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the sabbath, observing the sabbath throughout their generations, as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign for ever between me and the people of Israel
‘(Ex 31:12-13, 16-17)

Genesis 2:
1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Sabbath is the seventh day, which by our calendar makes it a Saturday. It is the day God rested after creating everything including man and woman. God sanctified it meaning He set it apart from all the other days as a day He rested from all His work. From the time of Adam to that of Mt. Sinai it was never commanded as being a holy day or that all mankind was to rest on that day. It was a holy day as God being Holy and rested that day.

The Hebrew Sabbath was instituted by God given to Moses in Exodus 16 as a day that started from Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset as a day of remembrance or a memorial of the Exodus exile as God parted the sea bringing the Hebrews to the promised land by defeating their foes. Hebrews used a Lunar Calendar that is different from our Gregorian calendar we use today.

The Sabbath was a ceremonial law practiced and that of the Old Covenant, the same covenant that circumcised and sacrificed animals. Some may literally circumcise, but we do not sacrifice animals anymore. This ceremonial law was only for Israel and not the Gentiles as now under the new covenant that joins Israel and Gentiles together under the grace of God the ceremonial laws no longer exist as Jesus is now our sacrifice whom we find rest in.

Im seeing some conflicting information online

You sure do hit on some interesting topics, sister...

You make kitty happy, Lol.

452674b86a9a50035e25dc4bb701ea01.jpg

You may find this helpful. It's not quite as cut and dried as many make it out to be. In short, it most certainly is not mandatory, but the early church actually observed both the Lord's day and the Sabbath early on. I discuss it some in the following study on Paul's reference to "keeping the feast" of Passover and Unleavened Bread. It's a bit technical for someone just starting out in the faith, but if you wanted an answer, this would be mine.

God bless,
- H

You sure do hit on some interesting topics, sister...

You make kitty happy, Lol.

View attachment 14950

You may find this helpful. It's not quite as cut and dried as many make it out to be. In short, it most certainly is not mandatory, but the early church actually observed both the Lord's day and the Sabbath early on. I discuss it some in the following study on Paul's reference to "keeping the feast" of Passover and Unleavened Bread. It's a bit technical for someone just starting out in the faith, but if you wanted an answer, this would be mine.

God bless,
- H

Okay I read through it. Basically for Christians, it is a choice and not a requirement anymore?

Okay I read through it. Basically for Christians, it is a choice and not a requirement anymore?

Correct. The same could be said of the Jewish feasts. All were prophetic foreshadowings of important events that would take place in the life of the church, and some haven't been fulfilled yet. The Sabbath likewise represents the Millennium, when God will finally "rest" for a thousand years from the work of bringing in a spiritual harvest. As the scripture says, "A day with the Lord is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as a day." So it's another type of meditation if you will, but not a requirement to Christians if they don't wish to observe it. Some like the Seventh Day Adventists teach that it is, but it is not.

Okay I think I am going to practice it then as a weekly reset. I'm particularly inspired by this woman:

Well it's cute anyway, Lol.

It seems like it would be good for people, especially those who work really hard during the week, and who might not take any time off even on the weekend unless forced to in some way.

Let me just say this. While I see zero wrong with the above for those it would be a blessing to, there is another primary reason why the Sabbath was observed, and why some observe it today, and it's supported by scripture. I'm specifically referring to making time for studying the word of God, and discussing it with others. This is why it says that Jesus was always in the synagogue on the Sabbath, and even as a little Boy stayed behind on one Sabbath because He was caught up discussion scripture with the Jewish men there, and blowing their minds, Lol. Scripture also says that it was Paul's habit to go into the Jewish synagogues on the Sabbath and preach the gospel from the scriptures.

I hate to post that in a way, cuz I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for a plan that could be a great blessing to you. Just giving you a bit better understanding of what Sabbath observance meant during the Old and New Testament eras.

Well it's cute anyway, Lol.

It seems like it would be good for people, especially those who work really hard during the week, and who might not take any time off even on the weekend unless forced to in some way.

Let me just say this. While I see zero wrong with the above for those it would be a blessing to, there is another primary reason why the Sabbath was observed, and why some observe it today, an it's supported by scripture. I'm specifically referring to making time for studying the word of God, and discussing it with others. This is why it says that Jesus was always in the synagogue on the Sabbath, and even as a little Boy stayed behind on one Sabbath because He was caught up discussion scripture with the Jewish men there, and blowing their minds, Lol. Scripture also says that it was Paul's habit to go into the Jewish synagogues on the Sabbath and preach the gospel from the scriptures.

I hate to post that in a way, cuz I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for a plan that could be a great blessing to you. Just giving you a bit better understanding of what Sabbath observance meant during the Old and New Testament eras.
No its fine. I'm not sure if it's in that video but this woman usually makes a lot of time for God and studies the bible. I notice there is a copy of the bible on this website I can use until my physical copy hopefully arrives

No its fine. I'm not sure if it's in that video but this woman usually makes a lot of time for God and studies the bible. I notice there is a copy of the bible on this website I can use until my physical copy hopefully arrives

Absolutely.

I'm surrounded by Bibles and reference works in this room where the computer is, but a lot of times it's quicker and easier to just log on to Bible Gateway when I need to find a passage. Plus, there are several sites - including that one - where you can click on numerous different translations if you like, not just one.

And it's free. :)

Btw, since this is inevitably going to come up, when you get to the part about starting a thread on "What Bible Translation Do You Prefer?," just avoid the paraphrases if you can; the Living Bible, the Message Bible, etc.

Some translations are better than others, but so long as you study from an actual translation of scripture and not somebody rambling based on their own suppositions, you should be fine to start with.

Btw, since this is inevitably going to come up, when you get to the part about starting a thread on "What Bible Translation Do You Prefer?," just avoid the paraphrases if you can; the Living Bible, the Message Bible, etc.

Some translations are better than others, but so long as you study from an actual translation of scripture and not somebody rambling based on their own suppositions, you should be fine to start with.
https://www.biblesforeurope.org/ this is where i ordered the physical copy

I actually got saved on The Living Bible, so they're not completely worthless. But as far as really growing in an accurate understanding of the word, I had to set that business aside and start reading from actual translations.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back