Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does God hate people?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

yoamocuy

In my reading I recently came across Psalm 11:5 which says "The LORD tests the righteous and the wicked, And the one who loves violence His soul hates." This verse doesn't just say that God hates the deeds of those who love violence, but He actually hates those who love violence. After coming across this verse I started looking around and found other verses that propose similar ideas, so this is not just promoted by one obscure verse in the Bible. I've always believed the whole "God hates the sin but loves the sinner" saying, but is that actually Biblical? I know that Jesus surrounded himself with sinners, and ultimately died for them/us, so is Biblical hatred different from our current cultural view of hatred? Does God hate us until we choose to follow Him? What do you all think about all this? I'm kinda lost at the moment...

yoamocuy said:
In my reading I recently came across Psalm 11:5 which says "The LORD tests the righteous and the wicked, And the one who loves violence His soul hates." This verse doesn't just say that God hates the deeds of those who love violence, but He actually hates those who love violence. After coming across this verse I started looking around and found other verses that propose similar ideas, so this is not just promoted by one obscure verse in the Bible. I've always believed the whole "God hates the sin but loves the sinner" saying, but is that actually Biblical? I know that Jesus surrounded himself with sinners, and ultimately died for them/us, so is Biblical hatred different from our current cultural view of hatred? Does God hate us until we choose to follow Him? What do you all think about all this? I'm kinda lost at the moment...
it may mean love less or disaproves,
do you have the hebrew word used there?

in this context hate means(the actually word is a bad translation in the kjv) jacob i have loved and esau i have hated is the word for prefer less. meaning that he choose jacob over esau.

I believe we have to be careful here. Let's look at a few verses where God uses the word "hate" in respect to people who He has created. This might meet with debate, but I don't believe God meant that he "hated" his creation, Esau. He was created in His image. Is God really saying he "hated" Esau before he was born?
Romans 9:13 "Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

Luke 16:13 "No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."

Is He saying we should "hate" any other master besides God? I would say He is saying our first allegiance should be to Him, and by comparison, we should place them lower in our esteem.

John 12:25 "The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life."

Is He saying we should "hate" our lives? I don't believe so. My take is supported by Ephesians 5:29
"After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church—"

Most telling to me of the meaning God puts behind the word "hate" is in Luke 14:

26"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters—yes, even his own life—he cannot be my disciple. 27And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple."

Is Jesus telling us we should "hate" our father, mother, wife, children, brothers & sisters? I would say NO. We are to put God before all others, but we shouldn't hate them.

2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

This tells me God doesn't hate anyone of His creations, but yearns for him to accept His gift of salvation. IMO, God does not "hate" people.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back