Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Does God mind if idols of 'saints' are worshipped in church?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There ya have it .

If my church didn't use the Bible as the source of all doctrine .I would up and leave
I think you're misunderstanding or making a tongue-in-cheek misrepresentative statement. GodsGrace can refute this if necessary but I do not believe she meant the Catholic church does not use the Bible for I know they in fact do. What I believe she meant was that the laypeople don't or at least rarely do reference the Bible itself but rather defer to the church for guidance. Additionally, the Catholic church also believes strongly that church history, tradition, and the Catechism all play an almost if not fully equal role as the Bible.

I think you're misunderstanding or making a tongue-in-cheek misrepresentative statement. GodsGrace can refute this if necessary but I do not believe she meant the Catholic church does not use the Bible for I know they in fact do. What I believe she meant was that the laypeople don't or at least rarely do reference the Bible itself but rather defer to the church for guidance. Additionally, the Catholic church also believes strongly that church history, tradition, and the Catechism all play an almost if not fully equal role as the Bible.
She mentioned no statues .locally the parish has them .

Inside it .it has them and one outside .st helen will have some flowers around it and also the shrines .

I have photos of a large carving in a oak of a tree .Mary .

The current owner isn't catholic.thr former owner was . The former owner would have it as shrine for Easter and Christmas. There were quite a few on routes .

The current parish shares a sanctuary with the Orthodox here .I wish I took photos of that when I could .I would walk by the stain glass and could make a few out .

She mentioned no statues .locally the parish has them .

Inside it .it has them and one outside .st helen will have some flowers around it and also the shrines .

I have photos of a large carving in a oak of a tree .Mary .

The current owner isn't catholic.thr former owner was . The former owner would have it as shrine for Easter and Christmas. There were quite a few on routes .

The current parish shares a sanctuary with the Orthodox here .I wish I took photos of that when I could .I would walk by the stain glass and could make a few out .
Well, the local parish here has a whole row of 'statues' prominently on the front right about its doors... https://www.avemariaparish.org/

It's the Apostles.

Idols are of this earth, this world.
Those statues are representative of those that are of another world.

It must really bother you a lot.

What a beautiful church BTW!

So nice to glorify God by building such beauty for Him.
So are the 'apostles' graven by hands of men and made of wood or metal... My family comes from Catholic background, we know what these 'apostles', 'Mary' or whatever you name them are, and how they are worshipped...

So are the 'apostles' graven by hands of men and made of wood or metal... My family comes from Catholic background, we know what these 'apostles', 'Mary' or whatever you name them are, and how they are worshipped...
Believe what you will reddogs.
You know what's sad?
That we can't learn from each other.

I had asked you to link some formal Catholic teaching about worshipping statues.

You never sent it.

This is from the CCC

2113 Idolatry not only refers to false pagan worship. It remains a constant temptation to faith. Idolatry consists in divinizing what is not God. Man commits idolatry whenever he honors and reveres a creature in place of God, whether this be gods or demons (for example, satanism), power, pleasure, race, ancestors, the state, money, etc. Jesus says, "You cannot serve God and mammon." Many martyrs died for not adoring "the Beast" refusing even to simulate such worship. Idolatry rejects the unique Lordship of God; it is therefore incompatible with communion with God.

Or any place for that matter, does the Bible say anything on this issue or is it silent, lets check scripture and see what it has...

Leviticus 19:4
Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourselves molten gods: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 26:1
Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.

2 Kings 17:12
For they served idols, whereof the LORD had said unto them, Ye shall not do this thing.

2 Chronicles 24:18
And they left the house of the LORD God of their fathers, and served groves and idols: and wrath came upon Judah and Jerusalem for this their trespass.

Deuteronomy 29:17
And ye have seen their abominations, and their idols, wood and stone, silver and gold, which were among them

Psalm 135:15
The idols of the heathen are silver and gold, the work of men's hands.

Isaiah 2:8
Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made:

Habakkuk 2:18
What profiteth the graven image that the maker thereof hath graven it; the molten image, and a teacher of lies, that the maker of his work trusteth therein, to make dumb idols?

2 Corinthians 6:16
And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

1 John 5:21
Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

Revelation 9:20
And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

That seems pretty clear, so how can the Catholic Church bring idols before its people, how can they claim to follow God when they worship idols which He forbid, how can they justify it when the Bible is so clear........

:salute

You know what's sad?

I had asked you to link some formal Catholic teaching about worshipping statues.

You never sent it.

This is from the CCC

2113 Idolatry not only refers to false pagan worship. It remains a constant temptation to faith. Idolatry consists in divinizing what is not God. Man commits idolatry whenever he honors and reveres a creature in place of God, whether this be gods or demons (for example, satanism), power, pleasure, race, ancestors, the state, money, etc. Jesus says, "You cannot serve God and mammon." Many martyrs died for not adoring "the Beast" refusing even to simulate such worship. Idolatry rejects the unique Lordship of God; it is therefore incompatible with communion with God.

I will add -

Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. Colossians 3:5

Liars will be sent to the lake of fire with idolaters.

But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
Revelation 21:8

I will add -

Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. Colossians 3:5

Liars will be sent to the lake of fire with idolaters.

But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
Revelation 21:8
And I'll add that there is some incorrect teaching in the CC but worshipping a statue is not one of them.
Perhaps we could discuss VENERATING who they represent....

You know what's sad?

You never sent it.

This is from the CCC

I think the Bible is clear enough, and it would fill the page, need to read what it has...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back