Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Double Standards

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
It is common to hear people say that all sins are the same, but Scripture doesn't agree. Some sins are greater than others. This is clear from what Jesus said to Pilate.

Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.â€(John. 19:11 NIV)​

Note that Jesus did not say that Pilate was without sin in this matter, just that those who handed him over had commited a greater sin.

Also, the same sin can be more serious in some cases than in others.

Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains. (John 9:41 NIV)​

In this case, he does say that they would be without sin if they were blind. The more you know, the more responsibility you have for doing what's right. Think of this analogy: If a three year old boy says a bad word to his father, the father will probably not punish him right away, but explain to him that that's a bad word and he shouldn't say it to anybody and then let it go at that. But if the same boy says the same word to his father 5 years later, then it's much more serious. By that time, he knows what the word means and should know better than to say it to his father. In that case, his father will punish him.

It is common to hear people say that all sins are the same, but Scripture doesn't agree. Some sins are greater than others. This is clear from what Jesus said to Pilate.
Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.â€(John. 19:11 NIV)
Note that Jesus did not say that Pilate was without sin in this matter, just that those who handed him over had commited a greater sin.

Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains. (John 9:41 NIV)
In this case, he does say that they would be without sin if they were blind. The more you know, the more responsibility you have for doing what's right. Think of this analogy: If a three year old boy says a bad word to his father, the father will probably not punish him right away, but explain to him that that's a bad word and he shouldn't say it to anybody and then let it go at that. But if the same boy says the same word to his father 5 years later, then it's much more serious. By that time, he knows what the word means and should know better than to say it to his father. In that case, his father will punish him.

So I guess what you are saying is that a person that has never been taught about Jesus (no matter what age) is less of a sinner than someone that had the change to find Jesus but refused to belive.

thanks guys, never knew this

i read this wrong

10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
:confused:

Jesus answered, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.â€(John. 19:11 NIV)​

Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains. (John 9:41 NIV)​
Also:

1Jn 5:16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that.
1Jn 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death. (NKJV)

James 2:10 -- "For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it."

say what you like

but homosexuals and liars are just as guilty as hitler

So I guess what you are saying is that a person that has never been taught about Jesus (no matter what age) is less of a sinner than someone that had the change to find Jesus but refused to belive.

It's not what I'm saying. It's what Jesus said, as well as what the law itself says.

thanks guys, never knew this

i read this wrong

10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
:confused:

Let's take a closer look at that. Let's start at the beginning.

James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting. (James 1:1 KJV)​

James is writing to Jews, who knew the law, not Gentiles who had never been taught about God's will.

If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
(James 2:8-11)​

Here we have a group of people who knew that the law prohibits partiality toward the rich (it also prohibits partiality toward the poor, but that's not what they were doing), but were knowingly violating this commandment. They most likely justified it by pointing out their righteousness in other areas, just like people do today when they say "I'm not such a bad person. I've never killed anybody or stolen anything. God wouldn't send me to Hell." James is pointing out that that logic doesn't work. If you have knowingly violated one commandment, then you are guilty before God, and it doesn't matter how many commandments you haven't violated.

What Jesus was addressing (note that both of my quotes above are the words of Jesus himself) was something completely different. In one case he was pointing out that one sin was more serious than another, and in the other case, he was talking about people who were ignorant of the commandments (which the people he spoke to were not).

There are also greater and therefore lesser punishments in hell, too...

Luke 10:8-15 NLT

<SUP id=en-NLT-25339 class=versenum>8</SUP> “If you enter a town and it welcomes you, eat whatever is set before you. <SUP id=en-NLT-25340 class=versenum>9</SUP> Heal the sick, and tell them, ‘The Kingdom of God is near you now.’ <SUP id=en-NLT-25341 class=versenum>10</SUP> But if a town refuses to welcome you, go out into its streets and say, <SUP id=en-NLT-25342 class=versenum>11</SUP> ‘We wipe even the dust of your town from our feet to show that we have abandoned you to your fate. And know this—the Kingdom of God is near!’ <SUP id=en-NLT-25343 class=versenum>12</SUP> I assure you, even wicked Sodom will be better off than such a town on judgment day. <SUP id=en-NLT-25344 class=versenum>13</SUP> “What sorrow awaits you, Korazin and Bethsaida! For if the miracles I did in you had been done in wicked Tyre and Sidon, their people would have repented of their sins long ago, clothing themselves in burlap and throwing ashes on their heads to show their remorse. <SUP id=en-NLT-25345 class=versenum>14</SUP> Yes, Tyre and Sidon will be better off on judgment day than you. <SUP id=en-NLT-25346 class=versenum>15</SUP> And you people of Capernaum, will you be honored in heaven? No, you will go down to the place of the dead.â€

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back