Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Dying peacefully

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Classik

Does peaceful death exist? A follow up: she was buried today, my neighbor.

----
She was never sick as far as we all know. (I don't wanna talk about her medical history or about her death. She wasn't sick.)

Most people died of heartattack, sickness, accident, oldage (usually accompanied by diseases and sicknesses old people pass through), demonic attack.. etc.

I just have a question. Does peaceful death exist today?

I.e - Someone gets old, very old. S/he sleeps and dies in her sleep: no struggles, no sickness - nothing. (I'm not talking about premature death, even if it is a peaceful one)

Even though we see more instances of a painful end,(burn victims,shootings,stabbings,etc.)I have seen plenty of instances in which I felt that the person just passed without even knowing it.Several years back while working as an EMT,we saw this kind of thing on a regular basis.

I never realized prior to that exactly how many elderly people slip away in the night..it was the strangest thing.I worked nights,and almost every shift between the hours of 2 and 6am was when the cardiac arrest calls to the nursing homes or private residences went out,and you could just about set your watch by it.Most of the time they would be found in the living room recliner or in bed,obviously passing in their sleep.

I always found that weird.You would think that these things would happen earlier in the day when people are active,thus exerting themselves more and such.

But,either way when I go I hope its in a similar manner.

"Does peaceful death exist? A follow up: she was buried today, my neighbor."

Well, back in '96, my Dad got up on a Friday Morning, went down to "Meals on Wheels" to pick up his deliveries for his "Old folks" (he was 86), completed his rounds, came home made himself a sandwich, sat down in his recliner, ate about half of it - and died. They didn't find him till Monday when my Mother in law dropped over to visit, and couldn't raise an answer.

Not a bad way to go, all told.

It was a Closed Casket wake and funeral - he'd changed shape significantly from fluid migration.

I always think of the old story where a person hopes he'll die peacefully in his sleep like his father did, and NOT Screaming in terror - like the other people in his car.

My Cardiac history and present heart condition being what it is, I already know how it'll feel when the end comes (unless I get hit by a bus). I don't fear it at all - don't have to, as a Christian. I WOULD prefer that It didn't hurt too much though, I've re-defined a pain level of "10" in the backs of ambulances several times now - Angina pectoris HURTS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't meant to say it is unChristian/unbiblical to die peacefully. It is good to die peacefully, am not saying we should be afraid to die a painful death either.

But, there are instances in the bible where HIS own people died very painfully: Eli hit his head somewhere, Christ, some of the apostles, Stephen, etc. Only few died peacefully, in their bed. Israel, David etc although the bible didn't specifically tell us how painlessly they died.

----
I don't know what a dying flesh passes through before it completely dies. Some say, the presence of tears means a painful or sorrowful death whereas smiles and such expressions is a happy or painless death. I can't tell.

But I must be honest here: many people die a painful death (sickness, senility problem, heartattack, satanic problems etc)

I just have a question. Does peaceful death exist today?

I.e - Someone gets old, very old. S/he sleeps and dies in her sleep: no struggles, no sickness - nothing. (I'm not talking about premature death, even if it is a peaceful one)

The definition of peaceful death has nothing to do with age or sickness. If I want to redefine it, I would put this way: A death without suffering or pain for themselves and others is a peaceful death.

Jer 34:4-5 defines peaceful death as something not violent (or without sword).

To answer your question, yes it does exist today.

we did not chose to be born and we can't chose how we die ( except to those who commited suicide)<O:tongue</O:tongue
You know as a human there are times that i fear my own death too. How will it be like, would i die peacefully or by sickness by accident and all. I saw my older sister who is a year older than me battled against a very strange sickness called lupus almost seven years ago. It was very painful. I saw her facing death, she was very brave. She didn't even want us to cry. <O:tongue</O:tongue
So everytime i feel the fear again , i would always remember my brave sister. She did not chose to have those sickness, she did not chose to die young and die terribly, but she did face it bravely and was prepared. <O:tongue</O:tongue
For me , dying is the chance to say good bye to people and lovedones who will be left . A chance to give and ask forgiveness until the final hour.<O:tongue</O:tongue
Death in anytime or in anyway would come to knock us down.<O:tongue</O:tongue
I guess that's just it, in this imperfect world as a christian we just have to be prepare all the time.<O:tongue</O:tongue
Luke 12:40"You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."<O:tongue</O:tongue

we did not chose to be born and we can't chose how we die ( except to those who commited suicide)<o:tongue</o
You know as a human there are times that i fear my own death too. How will it be like, would i die peacefully or by sickness by accident and all. I saw my older sister who is a year older than me battled against a very strange sickness called lupus almost seven years ago. It was very painful. I saw her facing death, she was very brave. She didn't even want us to cry. <o:tongue</o
So everytime i feel the fear again , i would always remember my brave sister. She did not chose to have those sickness, she did not chose to die young and die terribly, but she did face it bravely and was prepared. <o:tongue</o
For me , dying is the chance to say good bye to people and lovedones who will be left . A chance to give and ask forgiveness until the final hour.<o:tongue</o
Death in anytime or in anyway would come to knock us down.<o:tongue</o
I guess that's just it, in this imperfect world as a christian we just have to be prepare all the time.<o:tongue</o
Luke 12:40"You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."<o:tongue</o

God's gift:

A thoughtful, even solemn, post. I do think that now is the time to become thoroughly familiar with comforting, Biblical promises such as John 14.16 and 14.27. Once they are firmly in one's heart and mind and conscience, then the Spirit is more likely to bring them to mind at needful times.

My mother-in-law passed away recently. Without modern day extreme measures she would have passed much sooner. Nowadays at the end of life it can get very complicated. Just how far do you go to keep someone alive?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back