Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Easter

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
L

luke15_20

What do you all think about when you think about Easter?

Jesus' sacrifice. I also look forward to the Good Friday church service. Its usually a totally unique service, not your normal worship then message. I also like getting 2 days off school :)

The day was paganistic, once upon a time.

I like that now, all over the world, people are reminded of Christ's death and resurrection because of Easter celebrations.

Even as a little kid, surrounded by bunnies and eggs, in a non-Christian home, I knew that the real meaning of Easter was that God's Son died and came back to life.

I view Easter and Christmas as major ground gained in the Spiritual War. I really can't for the life of me figure out why some Christians want to hand the territory back. :confused

handy said:
The day was paganistic, once upon a time.

I like that now, all over the world, people are reminded of Christ's death and resurrection because of Easter celebrations.

Even as a little kid, surrounded by bunnies and eggs, in a non-Christian home, I knew that the real meaning of Easter was that God's Son died and came back to life.

I view Easter and Christmas as major ground gained in the Spiritual War. I really can't for the life of me figure out why some Christians want to hand the territory back. :confused

Christmas is paganistic as well. And this is the problem with christendom. We can't eat at the table of the Lord and the table of devils at the same time. Christendom has adopted paganism into christianity, and it should not have.

We should be speaking about Christ being our passover, as he was our passover lamb, who died for our sins.

Many non-christian homes celebrate christmas and easter. My Christian home does not.

We do get together with family and eat a huge meal with all the fixings. And we more than likely eat too much. But we pray first and are thankful for what God has done through the sacrifice of His Son and his resurrection.

With Love - MM

luke15_20 said:

Easter as a child...sad to say... Was a time when we would get a store bought dress and fancy shoes and our baskets full of candy.

Now as an adult...I have tried to diminish the Easter bunny in our celebration. I have learned of the Pagen background...

I love to reflect upon..His death..and more important at this time His resurrection and the power of that resurrection. Thankful for His sacrifice that we may walk in that power.

Everyone have a great weekend in Celebration of our Risen Lord!!

change said:
Ishtar the Babylonian goddess of fertility.
handy we celebrate easter on the same day as ishtar was worshipped. it should be done 3 days after when the jews celebrate the passover.

and no longer call it easter but rather the lord's ressurection.

or not at all for many churches take communion monthly or weekly.
we ought to thinking of the cross daily.

Mysteryman said:
luke15_20 said:

Paganism
:gah Have you heard of the Jewish Passover?

Mysteryman said:
Many non-christian homes celebrate christmas and easter. My Christian home does not.
That's unfortunate.

Mysteryman said:
We do get together with family and eat a huge meal with all the fixings. And we more than likely eat too much. But we pray first and are thankful for what God has done through the sacrifice of His Son and his resurrection.
So, when you "pray first and are thankful for what God has done through the sacrifice of His Son and his resurrection," you are observing or "celebrating" Easter. :gah

no, free that would be commuinion
the very word easter comes from the name ishtar.

the passover has no pagan origins, and we celebrate really Good Friday a week after the passover. passover was last week.

my old chruch used to have communion monthly, the first sunday of each month.

Free said:
Mysteryman said:
luke15_20 said:

Paganism
:gah Have you heard of the Jewish Passover?

Mysteryman said:
That's unfortunate.

Mysteryman said:
So, when you "pray first and are thankful for what God has done through the sacrifice of His Son and his resurrection," you are observing or "celebrating" Easter. :gah

Hi Free

I do not observe any days , months or seasons. The only reason on this paticular day, that I get together with my family, is because my brother still does observes this day. I don't - he does. I only get together with the family. I tried reasoning with my brother, but to no avail. I love him and his family and so we get together as a family. We all pray and are thankful, and we leave it at that. It is love and peace that I am more interested in, than a certain time or day of the year.

Understand ?

jasoncran said:
no, free that would be commuinion
the very word easter comes from the name ishtar.

the passover has no pagan origins, and we celebrate really Good Friday a week after the passover. passover was last week.

my old chruch used to have communion monthly, the first sunday of each month.
This is Passover week. The Christians celebration of Easter perfectly coincides with Passover. That is the point, otherwise it would make no sense since Jesus was the sacrificial Lamb.

MM said:
It is love and peace that I am more interested in, than a certain time or day of the year.

Understand ?
Not really. I don't understand why a Christian would not want to observe important days in the Christian calendar.

actually its not. i learned that a while ago. passover is one day. not a week.

passover is one day. look at the calendar.
why are we celebrating it a week later? if the jews(orthodox) who have kept it celebrate it on the appropriate day.

you are thinking of the week before passover that jesus came to jersusalem in on the donkey called palm sunday.

i didnt take a week to set up that last supper. they was the celebration of the last time the passover was truly in effect and also the instutition of the communion. we no longer are obligated to celebrate the passover.

there no biblical record of the apostles celebrating easter, but communion.
interesting aint it.

i have no problems with that easter services, but i want to be fully aware of the pagan influence of easter. ie the coloring of the eggs(a ritual used in the worship of ishtar) and the same day we celebrate the day of easter.

the rcc has been known to incorporate pagan rituals with christian ones

"Easter is a moveable feast, meaning it is not fixed in relation to the civil calendar. The First Council of Nicaea (325) established the date of Easter as the first Sunday after the full moon (the Paschal Full Moon) following the vernal equinox.[3] Ecclesiastically, the equinox is reckoned to be on March 21 (regardless of the astronomically correct date), and the "Full Moon" is not necessarily the astronomically correct date. The date of Easter therefore varies between March 22 and April 25. Eastern Christianity bases its calculations on the Julian Calendar whose March 21 corresponds, during the twenty-first century, to April 3 in the Gregorian Calendar, in which calendar their celebration of Easter therefore varies between April 4 and May 8."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter

"Passover begins on the 15th day of the month of Nisan, which corresponds to the full moon of Nisan, the first month of the Hebrew calendar, in accordance with the Hebrew Bible.[1] Passover is a spring festival, so the 14th day of Nisan begins on the night of a full moon after the vernal equinox. To ensure that Passover did not start before spring, the tradition in ancient Israel held that the first day of Nisan would not start until the barley is ripe, being the test for the onset of spring.[6] If the barley was not ripe an intercalary month (Adar II) would be added. However, since at least the 12th century, the date has been determined mathematically."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passover

The date of Easter was set to coincide with Passover for obvious reasons.

Not to mention that it is error to assume the Church accepted pagan practices:

Eph 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

Col 4:5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.

It is unfortunate that even Christians will assume that the Church incorporated paganism without considering the possibility that they were "redeeming the time"--trying to remove the influence of paganism by taking days that were used for worship of other than God and turn them into days for worshiping God.

t is unfortunate that even Christians will assume that the Church incorporated paganism without considering the possibility that they were "redeeming the time"--trying to remove the influence of paganism by taking days that were used for worship of other than God and turn them into days for worshiping God.

Exactly how I see it!!! :yes

But this certainly isn't an issue over which to divide.

then why the name of easter ? where is that from? astart. lewis posted a thread on that.

i can take or leave all christian holidays for we should celebrate them in spirit daily. what good is it to celebrate easter and not know christ and or live it daily.

what good is it to only give to the poor on christmas and thanksgiving only?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back