Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Employment

Hello Felix,

Who is your neighbor?

- Davies

Ok, to be clear on what I said, we are to help only the poor and needy. A lazy could become a poor and needy at that point we must help him. However, we must not help a lazy person when he could do it himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
AMP ..I read this to pertain to those who are able:

<sup class="versenum" id="en-AMP-30292">James 1 27</sup>External <sup class="footnote" value="[<a href=&quot;#fen-AMP-30292e&quot; title=&quot;See footnote e&quot;>e</a>]">[e]</sup>religious worship [<sup class="footnote" value="[<a href=&quot;#fen-AMP-30292f&quot; title=&quot;See footnote f&quot;>f</a>]">[f]</sup>religion as it is expressed in outward acts] that is pure and unblemished in the sight of God the Father is this: to visit and help and care for the orphans and widows in their affliction and need, and to keep oneself unspotted and uncontaminated from the world.

<sup class="versenum" id="en-AMP-29687">2 Thes 3 10</sup>For while we were yet with you, we gave you this rule and charge: If anyone will not work, neither let him eat. <sup class="versenum" id="en-AMP-29688">11</sup>Indeed, we hear that some among you are disorderly [that they are passing their lives in idleness, neglectful of duty], being busy with other people's affairs instead of their own and doing no work.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-AMP-29689">12</sup>Now we charge and exhort such persons [as <sup class="footnote" value="[<a href=&quot;#fen-AMP-29689b&quot; title=&quot;See footnote b&quot;>b</a>]">[b]</sup>ministers in Him exhorting those] in the Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah) that they work in quietness and earn their own food and other necessities.

Ok, to be clear on what I said, we are to help only the poor and needy. A lazy could become a poor and needy at that point we must help him. However, we must not help a lazy person when he could do it himself.

Hi Felix,

I would agree that material or monetary help for a person who is lazy is detrimental, so the form of help changes. As Reba pointed out in Scripture, we should exhort those who are sloth. But even in cases of laziness, we see God providing for them, though we wouldn't say He approves of the laziness. I want to make sure I don't disdain the person who is lazy which is a real temptation.

- Davies

Hi Felix,

I would agree that material or monetary help for a person who is lazy is detrimental, so the form of help changes. As Reba pointed out in Scripture, we should exhort those who are sloth. But even in cases of laziness, we see God providing for them, though we wouldn't say He approves of the laziness. I want to make sure I don't disdain the person who is lazy which is a real temptation.

- Davies

I agree.

There have been quite a few things posted on this thread that surprise me. Mostly negative attitudes about work. ie....Employment.

I guess I should not be surprised, but this next generation (or segment of society today) saddens me to no end. Doesn't seem to want to work. Crying about the economic system. Wants everything given to them and expects others to build a system that will do just that.

I'm going to make a bold statement, but if you're poor, or consider yourself poor, then eat it. It's your own fault. Don't get me wrong, there are people who can't work and I understand that. I have compassion for the truly poor, but I have none for the posing poor and we seem to have a lot of them these days.

I work with a guy who has a form of muscular dystrophy coupled with a bad back caused by scoliosis due to the neuromuscular disease he has. He comes in to the office every day. he could be on disability if he wanted to, but he chooses not to.

What ever happen to character? What ever happened to the rugged individualist that built this country? Did they do too good of a job? did they make life here so easy through their hard work that we can just sit back and cry about every little situation?

Those of you who choose to be poor, might want to take some age old advice from King Solomon, and those of you who want to help the poor might find some similar advice to be careful. The poor might not be who they say they are.

Proverbs 6

Warnings Against Folly

<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16542">1</sup> My son, if you have put up security for your neighbor,
if you have shaken hands in pledge for a stranger,
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16543">2</sup> you have been trapped by what you said,
ensnared by the words of your mouth.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16544">3</sup> So do this, my son, to free yourself,
since you have fallen into your neighbor’s hands:
Go—to the point of exhaustion—<sup class="footnote" value="[<a href=&quot;#fen-NIV-16544a&quot; title=&quot;See footnote a&quot;>a</a>]">[a]</sup>
and give your neighbor no rest!
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16545">4</sup> Allow no sleep to your eyes,
no slumber to your eyelids.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16546">5</sup> Free yourself, like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter,
like a bird from the snare of the fowler. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16547">6</sup> Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16548">7</sup> It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16549">8</sup> yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16550">9</sup> How long will you lie there, you sluggard?
When will you get up from your sleep?
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16551">10</sup> A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest—
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16552">11</sup> and poverty will come on you like a thief
and scarcity like an armed man.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16553">12</sup> A troublemaker and a villain,
who goes about with a corrupt mouth,
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16554">13</sup> who winks maliciously with his eye,
signals with his feet
and motions with his fingers,
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16555">14</sup> who plots evil with deceit in his heart—
he always stirs up conflict.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV-16556">15</sup> Therefore disaster will overtake him in an instant;
he will suddenly be destroyed—without remedy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danus, one thing I have come to realize is although most look the same and perfectly healthy on the outside assuming they are healthy emotionally and physicaally from thier outward appearance has been a perilous habit I had in the past..

In the past when i first became unwell, i used to think I had the worst problem anyone could have which was a stroke type thing, this is hat people were telling me too. I realized not soon enough that everybody has a mountain they carry. often its emotional and its debilitating as equally as a physical issue.

We cant assume to know based on outward appearances.

you gotta work out why people arent working

Back