Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Eternal life

How do you know what's in someone's heart before saying the prayer? How do you know they were led or weren't led to take that first step? Let's face it, all sorts of distractions can and will get in the way. We can do nothing about that. But how can He sift the wheat from the chaff when there's no harvest in the first place.

Being let down is a fact of life. There are no guarantees of a risk-free life. There are no guarantees of a risk-free salvation. Many are called but few are chosen. What then? Don't put out the call?
Ii don't like calvanist like you, first many are called but few are chosen for a task not salvation, salvation is simple and there is such a thing as a risk free salvation because it is free

Ii don't like calvanist like you...

That's OK. Jesus loves you anyway even if you are new to diplomacy and Christian manners.

Calvinist?
I absolutely believe Christ died for all for one thing.
Do people have a choice to accept what Christ offers? Sure. Thing is, if they chose not to be with Christ then He isn't going to make them do something they don't want to do. In other words, they'll be without Him for eternity. It's up to them isn't it?

You're on your own greatnews. Welcome to the forum.
After you my friend :thumb

Mike,
greatnews will be more than happy to reply to your post.
:)

:popcorn

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!!!!!!! that OP in such boldness took me way back to 1972 when I was 17 and first repeated that prayer and thought that was all I had to do to go to heaven was to repeat a written prayer and go to Church every Sunday and read my Bible. No excitement, no Holy Ghost goosebumps, just a temporal mechanical citation read aloud with the whole congregation repeating it that carried with it nothing but unacknowledged wording.

Every Sunday I carried my Bible and sat in service after service going through the pretense of thinking I was saved, but in all reality was still heading for Hell because it was all emotionalism and noting to do with the very Spirit of God.

I knew Jesus loved me and died for my sin, but I truly had no idea who Jesus truly was and what His ministry was all about at that time. It soon became boring to me to go to church as every Sunday seemed to be like the last one so I left the church and never went back. It wouldn't be for many years later that I would come to know Jesus in such a personal way that for the first time in my life I really understood His Spirit and His ministry.

I do give you credit greatnews for trying as I feel you are trying to be a faithful witness to bring good news to the world, but your zeal in doing so is leaving many empty and void of why we need Gods salvation, especially those who are good people in the eyes of others, but yet lack that surrender to Christ.

Potluck, if you're referring to me along with others, my question was an honest one out of curiosity. I'm uncomfortable with someone sending the message that people can say a simple prayer and walk away feeling dramatically different, because I believe it will likely leave them feeling let down. True, they're on their way. It's a starting point in allowing oneself to be Transformed.

I believe this notion does them a disservice.
the thing is the transformation happens right away there is no waiting period

I don't really understand what's going on here. Why is greatnews being refuted?
To me his post looks pretty much like the flyers I used to hand out... no room for a sermon, brief, to the point.
Prayer to Christ isn't wrong. Confessing one's sin isn't either. Wanting to be with Him in Heaven sure isn't against scripture. And a plea toward repentance is what we all should be doing.

Anyone who honestly prays what's called the sinner's prayer is definitely on the right track to changing the mind and heart to claim Jesus is right and I am wrong.

:shrug

Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us..
I like your post

I'm willing to go through what I've shared in order tho share my faith more effectively. If greatnews or anyone else thinks what I'm saying doesn't make sense, I'm willing to discuss it. Again, if a person doesn't understand their need for salvation, and thinks believing in Jesus is a life improvement program, they will sorely be mistaken. Though I understand not everyone reacts the same way, I still think it is a good idea to address what I think are real concerns when it comes to sharing the Gospel.

- Davies
Davies,

I was shaking my head up and down as I read your post. I knew exactly where you were coming from, but I've read enough of your posts to know you are already saved and know the Good News when you hear it.

The concerns you brought up with you role playing that of an unsaved person are exactly what we hear many times from the unsaved. If we don't hear it, I'm pretty sure the questions are running through their heads.

This might actually be a good time to bring up Dora's thread on asking Jesus into your Heart.

Dora, you there? :D

Just as Pete and Paul had differences so do we. Some folks need the good ol 2 by 4 up side the head. Some need comfort. Some need food in the belly. God sends the right guy for the job.

Isa 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

:eeeekkk potluck isnt a calvinist but more along the lines of the mainstream thinking of salvation is for all and that a person if they repented truly wont be lost.

remember Jesus was buried in a tomb, and rose from the day after three days

Do you believe in resurrection life? Do you walk like Jesus walked? Without sin and in the presence and power of God?

Or do you just repeat a dogma and claim you are now righteous because you have a belief in certain facts?

There are many so called facts about Christ that are used to make a stand against the truth. I see you doing this.

Davies,

I was shaking my head up and down as I read your post. I knew exactly where you were coming from, but I've read enough of your posts to know you are already saved and know the Good News when you hear it.

The concerns you brought up with you role playing that of an unsaved person are exactly what we hear many times from the unsaved. If we don't hear it, I'm pretty sure the questions are running through their heads.

This might actually be a good time to bring up Dora's thread on asking Jesus into your Heart.

Dora, you there? :D

Hi Vic,

I'm sure that if anyone witnesses for any length of time, you will hear the pattern of question, and unbelief voiced in my concerns. I'm not sure how long greatnews has been witnessing, but I would like to hear what he has learned in his experiences. Even if greatnews is new to witnessing, I'd like to know what he thinks regarding my concerns.

greatnews,

Did you understand what I was trying to say? Knowing the terms you have used in your Gospel presentation, I think you did a great job, but my concerns remain the same for the person who doesn't understand what you mean.

- Davies

Hi Vic,

I'm sure that if anyone witnesses for any length of time, you will hear the pattern of question, and unbelief voiced in my concerns. I'm not sure how long greatnews has been witnessing, but I would like to hear what he has learned in his experiences. Even if greatnews is new to witnessing, I'd like to know what he thinks regarding my concerns.

greatnews,

Did you understand what I was trying to say? Knowing the terms you have used in your Gospel presentation, I think you did a great job, but my concerns remain the same for the person who doesn't understand what you mean.

- Davies
I knew what you said I understood, I get questions like that a lot, so I have to explain them

I knew what you said I understood, I get questions like that a lot, so I have to explain them

The reason I asked is because you've been very quiet regarding my posts and with the seeming disagreement from Potluck over my concerns and your agreement of his opinion, I didn't have any indication of an acknowledgment of my concerns. When it comes to corresponding on forums like CFnet, silence is another form of communication. Anyway, I'm glad you understand.

- Davies

The reason I asked is because you've been very quiet regarding my posts and with the seeming disagreement from Potluck over my concerns and your agreement of his opinion, I didn't have any indication of an acknowledgment of my concerns. When it comes to corresponding on forums like CFnet, silence is another form of communication. Anyway, I'm glad you understand.

- Davies
yeah I understood them, just I knew you believed but the gospel should stand for it's self, but when people do have questions I answer them

Hi greatnews,

I haven't see you post very much. I'd like to know more about what you think. I don't mind the one liners, but you can be less shy can't you? Anyway, hope to see you write a little more. :poke

- Davies

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi greatnews,

I haven't see you post very much. I'd like to know more about what you think. I don't mind the one liners, but you can be less shy can't you? Anyway, hope to see you write a little more. :poke

- Davies
sure what do you want to know about what i think on?

Thanks for taking the time to post here to share the gospel. Personally, I am not so big on asking people to recite a sinner's prayer. Assurance is based on their belief in what the Word says about Christ and repentance of sins, not on reciting a sentence. Everyone has their own method for sharing though and we are all on the same team :)

Back