Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Evolution is discredited by Typology

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Well, yes, in biology. We can have "types" as in functional analysis, without going to "typology" (a discredited hypothesis in biology). I should also point out that typology later became a degenerate social philosophy, focused on human races. Agassiz would probably not have liked that, although he did lend his idea to human racism.

It clearly means something different in theology.

Posted by cupid dave

But even you...

You may refer back to Post #24 and #25 for recent statements. I don't mind questioning things. It's part of my nature. It does bother me though when somebody tries to put words in my mouth and we've discussed this before, you and I. If you truly would like to understand what I mean, all one needs to do is recall the primary statement, "I was not there."

It's okay to me to accept God's word on it and it's also okay for me to admit that there are questions that I have that are unresolved. Would you care to go to one-on-one debate where my premise is, "I'm unsure" and/or "I don't know for certain," and you may try to give counter-point to emphatically show that I am certain or that I was there? It might be fun, but later, not today.

This discussion is about Typology and Evolution. The OP has not complained about the various side-tracks we travel down, but I'm not going there in this thread.

OK, I apologize since apparently the "even you" was assumed and taken to mean that our differences on the issue of Three Racial Stocks Is "all in your mind."

I can see that one would think I was smarting from your previous comment above and being derogatory.
I was not.

I mean that even the Bible readers MUST admit that Genetic Science is supported in reporting that all people alive today are directly related to just one man (presumably Noah) who lived FORTY (40) thousand years of "days and nights" ago.

All people on early today come from the Three Stocks of Noah, and they populated the West, South, and East center from Armenia or the general Middle East.

....typology later became a degenerate social philosophy, focused on human races. Agassiz would probably not have liked that, although he did lend his idea to human racism.

Yep...
The Politically Correct Cultural Forces opposed the Science which even now is repressed though Dawkins, who opposes Genesis, recognizes racial differences based upon modern genetic differentiations which, by now, define seven "types" or racial groups:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_genetics#Race_and_population_genetic_structure

Well we all know that the term Race is socially charged and the government isprone to differ with the science of the matter, and such scientists as Richard Dwakins, who supports the work ofGeneticist Edwards who insists that the seven racial differences that Lawtonfirst proposed are actually correct:

7_genetic_groups_2.jpg

For instance, 12:00pm is more contemporary to 11:59am than it is to 12:59pm within the "Family Tree of Time".

Oh, and I'd like to add:

Notice how by judging by name alone, an outsider might think that 12:00pm is more contemporary to 12:59pm than it is to 11:59am because it shares the "12" and the "pm" with 12:59pm. This false belief would be very common among those who didn't understand our naming system.

We have simply placed markers along the unbroken, ever-flowing path of Time.

When properly understood, this system is of great use to us because it helps us stay on the same page with each other when it comes to scheduling appointments, measuring duration, and what not.

We have simply placed markers along the unbroken, ever-flowing path of Evolution.

We have simply placed markers along the unbroken, ever-flowing path of Evolution.

I agree.

What is important in this observation is that our "marking" is subjective, arising from some kind of a perceived order inside our mind, the universe within.

hemadeall.jpg

It is this common ability to "mark" the world we all exist within that allows us to relate it to one another, to understand it together, and model it as what we call Reality.
For this to have come about recursively suggests that we all use the same marking system, of the same general pattern of arranging and ordering the world we each perceive.

To go the next step, and hypothesize a "urim and thummim" repetitive pattern we cast as if an invisible veil over the world at large is encouraged by the numerous examples that illustrate the same pattern of organization used again and again in many different discipline.

What I suggest is that "the unbroken, ever-flowing path of Evolution" has "simply placed markers" we call the seven senses in us, and by which we can and do remark about what actually seems to us all to exist.

I should also point out that typology later became a degenerate social philosophy, focused on human races. Agassiz would probably not have liked that, although he did lend his idea to human racism.

It clearly means something different in theology.

But at issue, in this discussion, is whether Genesis supports the Three Racial Stock Theory.
Genesis tells us that all people living today, as different as they immediately appear to be to every observer, are nevertheless, the stock and issue of three "men."

Genetics recently confirmed that all men living today are directly related by one father who lived 40 thousand years ago.
Genetics now supports the Three Racial Stock Theory, which, interestingly enough, is understood as having expanded and differentiated into twelve (12) different "types" of mankind today.

Are you familiar with this Japanese Genetic research where the issues of race is not so charged as it has been in the West?

Japanese Journal of HumanGenetics

December 1978, Volume 23, Issue4, pp 341-369

Thetheory of genetic distance and evolution of human races

Genetic distance estimatessuggest that among the three major races of man the first divergence occurredabout 120,000 years ago between Negroid and a group of Caucasoid and Mongoloidand then the latter group split into Caucasoid and Mongoloid around 60,000years ago. It is also shown that the genetic identity between man andchimpanzee corresponds to a divergence time of 4–6 million years if theassumption of constant rate of amino acid substitution is correct.

A phylogenetic tree for twelve races of man is constructed by using genefrequency data for 11 protein and 11 blood group loci. This tree roughly agreeswith what we expect intuitively from the morphological characters and thehistorical record of these races.

OK, I apologize...

Okay, thank you for that. Accepted. But cupid dave, let's do try to stay on subject here in this thread and in others. Please. I'll listen for awhile because it can be seen that this theory of racism is applicable to the topic, but I really doubt that this is what the OP had in mind.

It is clear from these texts that the New Testament writers use the word "type" with some degree of latitude; yet one general idea is common to all, namely, "likeness." A person, event or thing is so fashioned or appointed as to resemble another; the one is made to answer to the other in some essential feature; in some particulars the one matches the other. The two are called type and antitype; and the link which binds them together is the correspondence, the similarity, of the one with the other.

Let's agree to ask the OP to help us define what is meant by "typology" and agree to stay within those boundaries so that we don't have to run down too many lengthy and twisty rabbit holes, shall we? My thought is that we are talking about beliefs that were held in common a couple centuries ago and that led, and rightly so, certain scholars toward some conclusions that were better (in the light of today's understanding) than others. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. So racism is part of what I count "The Ugly".

Asyncritus, as OP, what say you, please? We need some boundaries here.

~Sparrow

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all very well to say that typology has been discredited.

That is totally untrue, as witnes all the systems of classification ever produced, notably by Linnaeus.

We still have clearly delineated divisions in the natural world : the plants, the animals, the microbes whatever. They are all very distinct 'types' conforming to the 'archetypes' of each group.

No one would say that a bird (which conforms to the archetypal bird) was a horse (which belongs to its own archetypal group).

The archetypes are far too distinct and clearly defined to be arbitrary, and the boundaries between groups far too powerfully delineated for them to be crossed or confused. There may be the odd creature here and there (such as the platypus) that presents some difficulty to the typologist, but they are few and far between, and present just as many difficulties to the evolutionist who cannot possibly account for the origin of such a creature.

The classification systems today recognise, in the nomenclature, the existence of the types. The families are all clearly distinguishable, and the higher upthe systems we go, the more distinctly different do the archetypes become.

Whether or not the system gave rise to racism, is a moot point. Darwinism gave rise to some of the worst excesses of modern times - social Darwinism - which sought to exterminate whole races, ie the Jews, blacks and all the 'lower' races, that Hitler and his henchmen thought they could see.

Darwinism is and has been a pernicious evil the world has brought upon itself by its uncriritcal acceptance of evolution.

A pity, but that's how it is.

We've gone away from the original point. I was merely referring to the 'types' so distinctly recognisable in the natural world.

Barbarian brought up the subject of racism as a diversion from the irrefutable and obvious types in the living world.

We should not follow him down that rabbit hole, because of its irrelevancy.

It's all very well to say that typology has been discredited.

And very true. As you learned, the hypothesis of typology led Agassiz to believe that blacks were a separate creation. His ideas were embraced by the Nazis, hence the idea of a "Nordic type" a "Jewish type" , etc.

That is totally untrue, as witnes all the systems of classification ever produced, notably by Linnaeus.

Linnaeus' findings contradicted the notion of "types."
It matters little to me what names we use; but I demand of you, and of the whole world, that you show me a generic character, one that is according to generally accepted principles of classification, by which to distinguish between man and ape ... I myself most assuredly know of none. I wish somebody would indicate one to me. But, if I had called man an ape, or vice versa, I should have fallen under the ban of all the ecclesiastics. It may be that as a naturalist I ought to have done so.
Carolus Linnaeus

We still have clearly delineated divisions in the natural world : the plants, the animals, the microbes whatever. They are all very distinct 'types' conforming to the 'archetypes' of each group.

So, when we have the platypus which has fur like a mammal, is partially warm-blooded, has the mammalian jawbone and ear, but has a cloaca like a reptile, a muzzle like a therapsid, the reptilian bones in the shoulder, and lays reptilian eggs, that seems to be a bit between "types", doesn't it? There are a lot more like that. Would you like to see more?

No one would say that a bird (which conforms to the archetypal bird) was a horse (which belongs to its own archetypal group).

Speaking of which, tell me if Archaeopteryx is a bird or a dinosaur, and how you decided.

The archetypes are far too distinct and clearly defined to be arbitrary

So tell me if Diarthrognathus is a reptile or a mammal, and how you decided. That should be easy. Mammals have one kind of jaw joint, and reptiles have a different one. So which is Diarthrognathus?

and the boundaries between groups far too powerfully delineated for them to be crossed or confused.

Well, let's see what you can do with those, and then we can move on to more difficult ones.

There may be the odd creature here and there (such as the platypus) that presents some difficulty to the typologist, but they are few and far between, and present just as many difficulties to the evolutionist who cannot possibly account for the origin of such a creature.

As you just learned, it's a rather convincing intermediate between reptiles and mammals. A rather good mix of reptile and mammal. It's technically a mammal, because it has only the dentary in the lower jaw, but laying reptilian eggs, having reptilian shoulders and having a single cloaca instead of the mammalian urogenital structure puts it nicely in as a transitional.

The classification systems today recognise, in the nomenclature, the existence of the types. The families are all clearly distinguishable, and the higher upthe systems we go, the more distinctly different do the archetypes become.

Let's test that assumption. Name me two major groups said to be evolutionarily connected, and I'll see if I can find an intermediate.

Whether or not the system gave rise to racism, is a moot point.

Not to the Jews of Europe, it wasn't.

Darwinism gave rise to some of the worst excesses of modern times - social Darwinism

In the sense that Christianity gave rise to Jim Jones. As you learned some time ago, Darwin labeled the idea of neglecting the weak among humans to be an "overwhelming evil."

Typology opposes the notion of common descent, and provided a faux-scientific gloss to racism and Nazism.

And very true. As you learned, the hypothesis of typology led Agassiz to believe that blacks were a separate creation. His ideas were embraced by the Nazis, hence the idea of a "Nordic type" a "Jewish type" , etc.

And as you learned, Dawinism was the direct parent of social Darwinism, one of the greatest evils of modern times.

There are quite a number of scholarly articles on the subject and you may like to disabuse yourself of the rose-coloured glasses you habitually wear when discussing Darwin and evolution by googling some of them.

It matters little to me what names we use; but I demand of you, and of the whole world, that you show me a generic character, one that is according to generally accepted principles of classification, by which to distinguish between man and ape ... I myself most assuredly know of none. I wish somebody would indicate one to me. But, if I had called man an ape, or vice versa, I should have fallen under the ban of all the ecclesiastics. It may be that as a naturalist I ought to have done so.
Carolus Linnaeus
This is a little more than charlataniism, barbarian.

The man who more than any other was responsible for the modern taxonomic system of classifying the living world into types, meaning species, genera and higher groups, is now a supporter of your foolish logic.

As Denton says (p99, Evolution, A Theory is Crisis)
Nearly all the great biologists and naturalists of the late 18th century and early 19th century, who founded the modern disciplines of comparative anatomy, taxonomy and palaeontology adhered strictly to a discontinuous typological model of nature..

This constellation included the Swedish botanist Carolus Linnaeus, who founded modern taxonomy with his Systema Naturae. Another leading typologist was Georges Cuvier who virtually founded vertebrate palaeontology and comparative anatomy and was well known in his day because of the use of correlation to reconstruct the morphology of entire vertebrate species from single bones.
And then there was Louis Agasiz...Richard Owen, Charles Lyell and doubtless less famous others.

All typologists. None fools.

So, when we have the platypus which has fur like a mammal, is partially warm-blooded, has the mammalian jawbone and ear, but has a cloaca like a reptile, a muzzle like a therapsid, the reptilian bones in the shoulder, and lays reptilian eggs, that seems to be a bit between "types", doesn't it? There are a lot more like that. Would you like to see more?
As I said below, there are oddities, all of which you can doubtless bring triumphantly and foolishly forth, in your hopeless grandstanding.

I say 'hopeless' because the vast, vast majority of the living world is so easily classsified into 'types' that Linnaeus' system is still used today - even to name those pathetic few you have dredged up.

QUOTE]No one would say that a bird (which conforms to the archetypal bird) was a horse (which belongs to its own archetypal group).

Speaking of which, tell me if Archaeopteryx is a bird or a dinosaur, and how you decided.[/quote]

In order to answer your question about these specific creatures, bring forth their full classifications, down to species level, and I will tell you what the genuine taxonomists have said.

The archetypes are far too distinct and clearly defined to be arbitrary.

So tell me if Diarthrognathus is a reptile or a mammal, and how you decided. That should be easy. Mammals have one kind of jaw joint, and reptiles have a different one. So which is Diarthrognathus?

and the boundaries between groups far too powerfully delineated for them to be crossed or confused.
Well, let's see what you can do with those, and then we can move on to more difficult ones.

[/QUOTE]

So bring forth their taxonomies, and I'll tell you.

There may be the odd creature here and there (such as the platypus) that presents some difficulty to the typologist, but they are few and far between, and present just as many difficulties to the evolutionist who cannot possibly account for the origin of such a creature.

As you just learned, it's a rather convincing intermediate between reptiles and mammals. A rather good mix of reptile and mammal. It's technically a mammal, because it has only the dentary in the lower jaw, but laying reptilian eggs, having reptilian shoulders and having a single cloaca instead of the mammalian urogenital structure puts it nicely in as a transitional.
Utter tripe.

Archaeopteryx is no bird ancestor. So whether you choose to call it a reptile or a bird, you're really no further forward, in your support of evolution.

Here:

The discovery of the two fossil birds in the Dockum Formation near Post, Texas, by Chatterjee, has dealt a final fateful blow to Archaeopteryx as a transitional form between reptiles and birds. The fossil bird discovered by Chatterjee is alleged to be about 225 million years old, or 75 million years older than Archaeopteryx.

An age of 225 million years is supposed to correspond with the beginning of the so-called Triassic Period, the first geological period of the Mesozoic Era, the supposed era of the dinosaurs.

Now, what would evolutionists expect of a bird as old as the oldest dinosaurs—75 million years older than Archaeopteryx? Why, of course, they would expect this bird to be very reptile-like, much closer to its reptilian ancestor than Archaeopteryx.

Sad to say for evolutionists, it just wasn't so.

The fossil bird discovered by Chatterjee was just the opposite—even more bird-like than Archaeopteryx! Chatterjee's fossil bird had a substantial keel, or sternum, characteristic of most modern birds, but absent, as far as we know, in Archaeopteryx, and it had hollow bones, also characteristic of most modern birds (but not all), while Archaeopteryx had solid bones.

Chatterjee states that the fossils of his newly discovered bird have advanced avian features that place this bird closer to modern birds than Archaeopteryx. 1 Chatterjee's discovery should now completely mute the claims for a transitional status for Archaeopteryx.
http://www.icr.org/article/275/

Let's test that assumption. Name me two major groups said to be evolutionarily connected, and I'll see if I can find an intermediate.

We've done this before, and you lost on each occasion.

We'll use the bats, AND ANYTHING ELSE YOU CARE TO NOMINATE. There, that should give you a lot to choose from - like the whole animal kingdom.

I personally can't find any claims that they have ancestors, - so that proves beyond doubt that they were created, rather than evolved.

Whether or not the system gave rise to racism, is a moot point.

Just as I said.
Social Darwinism produced that evil - so don't start talking nonsense about typology spawning racism. They're not in the same league of evil.

Darwinism gave rise to some of the worst excesses of modern times - social Darwinism

In the sense that Christianity gave rise to Jim Jones. As you learned some time ago, Darwin labeled the idea of neglecting the weak among humans to be an "overwhelming evil."
Christianity did not give rise to Jones.

Rutledge Jones:

Tracing the philosophical underpinnings of scientific racism from the early work of hereditarians Darwin, Spencer, and Sumner, to the intelligence testing movement led by Galton and Binet, and lastly to the contemporary race and IQ studies of Jensen, Herrnstein, and Murray, this article maintains that science is often used as a justification to propose, project, and enact racist social policies. It begins with a review of the philosophy of Social Darwinism and of its assumptions about race and human abilities, and ends by analyzing a largely unbroached theme in this debate: the consequences of scientific racism for dominant groups.

Typology opposes the notion of common descent, and provided a faux-scientific gloss to racism and Nazism.

You've got that wrong on 2 counts at least.

There is no such thing as common descent. Show me a fossil of the common ancestor, and I'll believe you. It is an evolutionary pipe dream, for which there is no evidence besides evolutionary theory itself, and that is called question-begging, as if you didn't know.

Second, it was social Darwinism that gave rise to these things.

And you know it.

And as you learned, Dawinism was the direct parent of social Darwinism, one of the greatest evils of modern times.

In the sense that Christianity was the direct parent of Jim Jones and his cult. Just because someone borrows the name, that doesn't mean there's any connection. You think the People's Republic of China is run by the people of China? As you learned, Darwin assailed the ideas promoted by "social Darwinists."

There are quite a number of scholarly articles on the subject and you may like to disabuse yourself of the rose-coloured glasses you habitually wear when discussing Darwin and evolution by googling some of them.

But you can't find any at the moment? How unfortunate.

Barbarian observes:
Carolus Linnaeus

This is a little more than charlataniism, barbarian.

No, I believe he was quite sincere in this.

The man who more than any other was responsible for the modern taxonomic system of classifying the living world into types, meaning species, genera and higher groups, is now a supporter of your foolish logic.

You learned somewhat earlier, that Huxley routed Owen, using his own anatomical data, taking the same position as Linnaeus. Would you like to see that, again?

As Denton says (p99, Evolution, A Theory is Crisis)
Nearly all the great biologists and naturalists of the late 18th century and early 19th century, who founded the modern disciplines of comparative anatomy, taxonomy and palaeontology adhered strictly to a discontinuous typological model of nature..

As you see, he was clearly wrong about Linnaeus, who concluded that there were no essential differences between humans and other apes.

When the data started accumulating, one typologist after another became a Darwist. Agassiz was the lone holdout by 1900, and all of his students became Darwinists. As you also learned, Agassiz applied "typology" to humans. Typology says blacks and white do not have a common ancestor.

Barbarian chuckles:

As I said below, there are oddities

To a creationist, it's an insoluble problem. But it becomes perfectly understandable when modern science takes a look at it.

I say 'hopeless' because the vast, vast majority of the living world is so easily classsified into 'types' that Linnaeus' system is still used today - even to name those pathetic few you have dredged up.

You've missed his point. He made a family tree for living things. Yes, more of a bush than a tree, but still, he turns out to have been pretty good at it. DNA analyses and comparisons of conserved molecules shows that common descent is indeed very largely the way he found it to be.

QUOTE]No one would say that a bird (which conforms to the archetypal bird) was a horse (which belongs to its own archetypal group).[/quote]

Amazing that anyone with the skill to use a keyboard, would think that evolutionary theory is about such things.

Barbarian suggests:
Speaking of which, tell me if Archaeopteryx is a bird or a dinosaur, and how you decided.[/quote]

In order to answer your question about these specific creatures, bring forth their full classifications, down to species level, and I will tell you what the genuine taxonomists have said.

Can't do it? If you can't even do this, what makes you think you can say anything about the theory?

Barbarian offers another challenge:

Barbarian chuckles:

So bring forth their taxonomies, and I'll tell you.

That's what I'm asking you to do. Since you seem unable to do that, we can only conclude that your argument is specious.

Barbarian observes:
Utter tripe.

Archaeopteryx is no bird ancestor.

Show us your evidence for that. You're telling us a creature with dinosaur features, with feathers and wings that could fly, isn't a bird?

The discovery of the two fossil birds in the Dockum Formation near Post, Texas, by Chatterjee, has dealt a final fateful blow to Archaeopteryx as a transitional form between reptiles and birds. The fossil bird discovered by Chatterjee is alleged to be about 225 million years old, or 75 million years older than Archaeopteryx.

Ah, the "if you're alive, your uncle has to be dead" argument. It's still hooey.

An age of 225 million years is supposed to correspond with the beginning of the so-called Triassic Period, the first geological period of the Mesozoic Era, the supposed era of the dinosaurs.

Let's take a look...

However, this description of Protoavis assumes that Protoavis has been correctly interpreted as a bird. Almost all palaeontologists doubt that Protoavis is a bird, or that all remains assigned to it even come from a single species, because of the circumstances of its discovery and unconvincing avian synapomorphies in its fragmentary material. When they were found at the Tecovas and Bull Canyon Formations in the Texas panhandle in 1984, in a sedimentary strata of a Triassic river delta, the fossils were a jumbled cache of disarticulated bones that may reflect an incident of mass mortality following a flash flood...Chatterjee claims that the humerus of Protoavis is "remarkably avian",[10]:53 but as in all matters with the fossils referred to this taxon, accurate identification of the elaborate trochanters, ridges, etc., attributed to the humerus by Chatterjee is impossible at this time. Interestingly, the expanded distal condyles, which appear to be present in the humerus of Protoavis and enlarged deltopectoral crest (a ridge for the attachment of chest and shoulder muscles), are congruent with the morphology of ceratosaur humeri, as is the apparent presence of a distal brachial depression.[16]

The femur of Protoavis is astonishingly like that of a ceratosaur. The proximal femur displays a trochanteric shelf caudal to the lesser and greater trochanters, a feature synapomorphic of Ceratosauria[16][17] Further similarities between the proximal humerus of Protoavis and that of ceratosaurs are found in the shared presence of an enlarged obturator ridge, whose morphology in Protoavis is again, uncannily like that observed in robust ceratosaurs, e.g., Syntarsus.[17] The resemblance between the femur of Protoavis and that of a ceratosaur becomes ever more pronounced at the distal end of the bone. Both share a crista tibiofibularis groove, a synapomorphy of ceratosaurs separating the medial and lateral condyles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protoavis

The data supporting these is well-referenced by the article. So two things become apparent:

1. There's considerable question as to whether this is a bird or not (or even whether or not these bones are all from the same animal)

2. If so, it greatly increase the evidence for birds evolving from dinosaurs, since Protoavis has even more dinosauran characteristics than Archaeopteryx.

Now, what would evolutionists expect of a bird as old as the oldest dinosaurs—75 million years older than Archaeopteryx? Why, of course, they would expect this bird to be very reptile-like, much closer to its reptilian ancestor than Archaeopteryx.

Bingo. And it is. A lot more. Archie has more dinosaur characteristics than avian ones, but Chatterjee's specimen looks more like a feathered dinosaur than a bird.

Barbarian observes:
We've done this before, and you lost on each occasion.

We'll use the bats, AND ANYTHING ELSE YOU CARE TO NOMINATE.

Couldn't think of any? Not surprising. I've never had a creationist come up with anything.

I personally can't find any claims that they have ancestors, - so that proves beyond doubt that they were created, rather than evolved.

Rarely does one see so bluntly the creationist assumption "if we don't know, then it means our story is right."

Whether or not the system gave rise to racism

Typology is the father of modern racism, but it's incidental to the fact that it's clearly wrong.

is a moot point.

Barbarian observes:

Social Darwinism produced that evil

Nope. Typology. The Nazis even borrowed the terminology. So we had a "Nordic type" and a "Jewish type" and a "Negro type" and so on. Darwinians, as you learned early, had thoroughly discredited this kind of thinking.

They're not in the same league of evil.

True. Agassiz just didn't like blacks and wanted to avoid them. The Nazis borrowed his ideology for much worse things.

Barbarian chuckles:

Christianity did not give rise to Jones.

Nor did Darwin give rise to social Darwinism. Just because people like Jones and racists borrow a name, it doesn't mean they actually follow the ideas.

Barbarian observes:

You've got that wrong on 2 counts at least.

Let's see...

There is no such thing as common descent.

That's what Agassiz said about whites and blacks. But he was wrong. You are, too.

Show me a fossil of the common ancestor, and I'll believe you.

I offered to show you a transitional between any two major groups that are connected evolutionarily, and you declined to do it. And you've already seen in (for example, termites) that the transitional forms are still living.

And Jim Jones gave rise to mass murder. But Darwin didn't produce social Darwinism, and Christianity didn't produce Jim Jones.

Simple lesson. Learn from it.

We've gone away from the original point. I was merely referring to the 'types' so distinctly recognisable in the natural world.

Barbarian brought up the subject of racism as a diversion from the irrefutable and obvious types in the living world.

We should not follow him down that rabbit hole, because of its irrelevancy.

I've asked about this and believe there was a reply about some kind of "special" typology that was common to Biology in its formative years?
Isn't that the allegation that Barbarian asserted? Barbarian, what say you?
Regrettably this error continued and is still being supported here and there by creationists. This is not to say all creationists are racists; most aren't. I'm pointing out that the erroneous idea of "typologists" leads to racism for many people, including Agassiz.

I've countered that you, of all people, must concede that one error in judgment with regard to conclusions that have absolutely nothing to do with Typology (Shem Ham and Japeth and Doctrine of Race is neither Type nor Anti-Type to the best of my knowledge) - and so this error can not be asserted as a general statement about typology at all.

If I understand Asyncritus correctly, he would like a chance to continue the point of the thread without further diversion (his word, not mine). As such, I would suggest that the whole issue about Racism (as you have so far presented it) fails to qualify as a type and may not be rightly used in a conversation about typology. But perhaps I am wrong about this? Are you able to find a source to quote showing this special flavor of typology you allege exists, please?

I think I told you before that Russian experiments demonstrate the transition from the Fox to Dogs.

Foxes are not transitioning into dogs. Domesticated foxes are becoming more like domesticated dogs.

For example, they raise their tail upwards more often rather than keeping it low. Their ears, like domesticated dogs, stay floppy longer after they're born. They yearn more for attention. Etc.

Foxes aren't becoming dogs, they're becoming more "dog like", and that's just the domesticated ones (which I'm sure you were referring to).

It was primarily because most groups of organisms seemed so isolated and unlinked by transitional forms that for the better part of a century, before 1859, most biologists saw the facts of biology as pointing to a model of nature which was diametrically opposed to, and indeed irreconcilable with the notion of organic evolution.

Well of course scientists before 1859 didn't recognize evolution, Darwin didn't publish his theory until that year! Sure, scientists may have known about his hypothesis and rejected it, but that doesn't really mean much since it wasn't a published theory yet.

Agassiz, in common with the great majority of leading biologists in the 19th century, adhered to a philosophy of nature referred to as typological which was completely antithetical to the concept of organic evolution and which denied absolutely the existence of any sort of sequential order to the pattern of nature.

I'm assuming he's referring to the Linnaean Taxonomy.

Darwin didn't publish his theory of evolution until 1859. So it's easy to suggest that a large number of scientists didn't support the theory of evolution because the theory didn't exist for over half the century.

It followed that all members of a class were equally representative and characteristic of their class, and no member could be considered in any fundamental sense any less characteristic of its class, or closer to any member of another class than any other member of its own class. For example, as Romer said, All known mammals share a number of specific or defining or diagnostic characteristics such as hair, mammary glands, and a diaphragm which are only found among mammals and not possessed, even in rudimentary form, by non-mammalian organisms.

Where the representative of one class happens to resemble the representative of another class, the resemblance is only superficial and not indicative of any profound relationship.

All mammals are representative of the mammalian archetype, and all birds representative of the avian archetype.

Since birds are much more closely related to dinosaurs, we'll look at the evolution from dinosaurs to birds.

Here's a sample list of transitional fossils from Dinosaur to Bird. Link

Sinosauropteryx prima
View attachment 3218

oviraptorosaurs
View attachment 3219

Sinovenator
View attachment 3220

(Since I can't post any more pictures, here are the links)

Yixianosaurus

Archaeopteryx
(more info here)

Enantiornithines

Just to name a few.

It is worthy of note that nearly all of the greatest 19th Century naturalists and geologists, opposed evolution.

It is worthy of note that Darwin didn't publish his theory of evolution until 1859. Regardless, even though a large number of the scientific community did accept the theory of evolution, there were still quite a few scientists who disagreed with the theory of evolution. However, this changed in the early 1900s.

Now, here's my question. Why is the author trying to disprove Darwin's theory of evolution with science from the 19th Century? Why doesn't he use science from the 20th and 21st Century?

Linnaeus, who founded taxonomy in 1735, was a typologist.
Of course Linnaeus was a typologist, the theory of evolution wasn't formed yet. In fact, Darwin wasn't even born yet! You're trying to disprove Evolution with an older model!

Louis Agassiz who advanced the theory of the ice ages.
Okay, so what? His advancement of the ice age is not evidence that his views on typology were more true than Darwin's theory of evolution. It's completely unrelated. This is a fallacious appeal to authority (as well as the next few names). In fact, I couldn't find anything that said Louis Agassiz was a typologist.

Georges Cuvier, who virtually founded vertebrate palaeontology and comparative anatomy, was a typologist.

Georges Cuvier died before Darwin even conceived the theory of evolution!

Richard Owen, Director of the Natural History Museum in South Kensington, who originated the term dinosaur, was a typologist.

Just because he coined the word "dinosaur" doesn't mean his position on typology is correct. Again, appeal to authority.

The fact that all these great naturalists, who discovered the basic facts of comparative morphology on which modern evolutionary theory rests, all held nature to be a discontinuum of isolated and unique types, unbridged by transitional forms , which is a position absolutely at odds with evolutionary ideas, is exceedingly difficult to square with the idea that all the facts of biology irrefutably support an evolutionary interpretation.

I'm typing this part in bolded, maroon, letters. That's just how important this part is.

First of all, scientific theories evolve. A genius may come up with a brilliant theory, but that doesn't mean the theory can't be improved or replaced in the future.

Just because Darwin's Theory of Evolution replaced Linnaean Taxonomy, doesn't mean Lunnaean Taxonomy was completely wrong. It's just that the Theory of Evolution was "more correct".

when people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.
-From the essay, Relativity of Wrong (keep in mind that the Earth is not a sphere, it's an oblate spheroid)

The point is, theories aren't entirely right, or entirely wrong. They have different levels of correctness.

Too often, all the opponents of evolutionary theory are lumped together and their persistence explained as religious bigotry.

No, it isn't. In fact, calling evolution a form of bigotry is like calling someone a witch in the puritan days just to silence someone who's views you don't like.

Then you quote Cuvier. The quote merely explains what Cuvier believed. You didn't actually support evidence to back up his claims. Again, appeal to authority.

Denton goes on at very great lengths, which are to long to be reproduced here, but it is surely obvious that the modern idea of evolution was discredited right from the start, and by the very greatest naturalists of the age.

Actually, no, it isn't. All you did was appeal to authority.

Louis Agassiz didn't even oppose evolution, because he wasn't even alive at the time. He could have very well agreed with Darwin.
(Note: Typo. Meant to say Carl Linnaeus)

Everyone else you mentioned who opposed Darwin, they didn't agree with his theory of evolution. That doesn't disprove evolution, especially since evolution has been peer reviewed and accepted as, well, a scientific theory. To put it simple, scientists like Georges Cuvier were defeated in the arena of ideas.

There is no such thing as common descent. Show me a fossil of the common ancestor, and I'll believe you. It is an evolutionary pipe dream, for which there is no evidence besides evolutionary theory itself, and that is called question-begging, as if you didn't know.
Here you go.

There's no such thing as Darwinism in the same sense that there's no such thing as Einsteinism or Newtonism.

Regardless, here's a quote from a YouTube video:

"Evolution isn't an endorsement of eugenics any more than accepting the fact that the the females of numerous species kill and eat the males after mating is an endorsement of cannibalism. It's simply a recognition of reality."

Note: I apologize if I repeated stuff others have already said. If I have, just point me to the post and I'll read the discussion from there as to avoid being repetitious.

Greetings, Umbra! Nice to see you here. :wave

~Sparrow

(Since I can't post any more pictures, here are the links)

There are many places on the net that will allow you to host pics. I personally use Photobucket. That gets around the limit of 3 you mentioned on this site. Pardon the interruption...

Spar

The bible teaches us that in the last days doctrines of demons would flourish Evolution is one such doctrine.. Its when we forget that we are in a war for the souls of man we lose focus, the devil becomes a cartoon character with a pitchfork in his claw and we wander into the danger zone of deception..

The Darwinian foundation of communism
by Jerry Bergman

Summary

A review of the writings of the founders of communism shows that the theory of evolution, especially as taught by Darwin, was critically important in the development of modern communism. Many of the central architects of communism, including Stalin, Lenin, Marx and Engels, accepted the worldview portrayed in the book of Genesis until they were introduced to Darwin and other contemporary thinkers, which ultimately resulted in their abandoning that worldview. Furthermore, Darwinism was critically important in their conversion to communism and to a worldview that led them to a philosophy based on atheism. In addition, the communist core idea that violent revolution, in which the strong overthrow the weak, was a natural, inevitable part of the unfolding of history from Darwinistic concepts and conclusions.

http://creation.com/the-darwinian-foundation-of-communism

tob

The bible teaches us that in the last days doctrines of demons would flourish Evolution is one such doctrine.. Its when we forget that we are in a war for the souls of man we lose focus, the devil becomes a cartoon character with a pitchfork in his claw and we wander into the danger zone of deception..

The Darwinian foundation of communism
by Jerry Bergman

Summary

A review of the writings of the founders of communism shows that the theory of evolution, especially as taught by Darwin, was critically important in the development of modern communism. Many of the central architects of communism, including Stalin, Lenin, Marx and Engels, accepted the worldview portrayed in the book of Genesis until they were introduced to Darwin and other contemporary thinkers, which ultimately resulted in their abandoning that worldview. Furthermore, Darwinism was critically important in their conversion to communism and to a worldview that led them to a philosophy based on atheism. In addition, the communist core idea that violent revolution, in which the strong overthrow the weak, was a natural, inevitable part of the unfolding of history from Darwinistic concepts and conclusions.

http://creation.com/the-darwinian-foundation-of-communism

tob

I'm sorry, but that's super stereotypical, offensive, untrue, and a fine example of the Texas Sharpshooter Fallacy (look it up).

As I quoted in my last post:
"Evolution isn't an endorsement of eugenics any more than accepting the fact that the the females of numerous species kill and eat the males after mating is an endorsement of cannibalism. It's simply a recognition of reality."
-YouTube Video

Sometimes when you dislike a person or a group, you just want them to be evil and wrong in every way imaginable. As much as you might hate to admit it, you'll often find you'll have a lot in common with the people you disagree with most.

Anyway, I apologize for heading somewhat off-topic.

Well of course scientists before 1859 didn't recognize evolution, Darwin didn't publish his theory until that year! Sure, scientists may have known about his hypothesis and rejected it, but that doesn't really mean much since it wasn't a published theory yet.

The theory of evolution has a much longer history than you are willing to recognise.
Evolutionary thought, the conception that species change over time, has roots in antiquity, in the ideas of the ancient Greeks, Romans, and Chinese as well as in medieval Islamic science.
wiki

It is unreasonable to think that the great naturalists at the time of Darwin and before had no ideas about it.

In the early 19th century, Jean-Baptiste Lamarck proposed his theory of the transmutation of species, the first fully formed theory of evolution.

Therefore, the comments by people like Agassiz, Cuvier and others, while not faced by Darwin's miserably poor collections and interpretation of facts, did know a very great deal about the fossils,and the types which we're attempting to discuss.

The facts haven't changed, and the 'transmutation' of types has never been shown to occur.

Explanation of the reasons for the transmutation have never been forthcoming either, and you, as a supporter of the theory will be faced with the necessity of accounting for the problems which face many 'transmutations'.

I will take the alleged transitionals from reptiles to birds.

I call on you to account for the following major facts:

1 From cold blooded reptiles to birds with the highest metabolic rates in the animal kingdom.

2 The massive difference beteen the bellows type lungs in reptiles 'evolving' into the unidirectional air flow system only found in the birds

3 The transition from the leathery egg shells of the reptiles to the hard egg shells of the brds

4 Given the following, account for the origin of feathers from scales:

Storrs L. Olson is the curator of birds at the National Museum of Natural History. About protofeathers he has recently said: “…protofeathers exist only as a theoretical construct…” (Open Letter to Dr. Peter Raven of National Geographic Society). Since Olson believes they are only a “theoretical construct,” it is apparent that he has never seen any real protofeathers.

4 Most important of all, account for the origin of the flight instinct in birds, when at best, these alleged feathered dinosaurs can only glide. Flying is a major departure from any form of reptilian locomotion, and required enormous new information input. Where did all this information come from? And how?

It followed that all members of a class were equally representative and characteristic of their class, and no member could be considered in any fundamental sense any less characteristic of its class, or closer to any member of another class than any other member of its own class. For example, as Romer said, All known mammals share a number of specific or defining or diagnostic characteristics such as hair, mammary glands, and a diaphragm which are only found among mammals and not possessed, even in rudimentary form, by non-mammalian organisms.

Where the representative of one class happens to resemble the representative of another class, the resemblance is only superficial and not indicative of any profound relationship.

All mammals are representative of the mammalian archetype, and all birds representative of the avian archetype.

Now, here's my question. Why is the author trying to disprove Darwin's theory of evolution with science from the 19th Century? Why doesn't he use science from the 20th and 21st Century?
Because the facts don't change. A horse is not a bird, neither is a leopard a monkey. They belong to two different 'archetypes'. And Newton's laws still are in force though he was born in 1643.

Linnaeus, who founded taxonomy in 1735, was a typologist.

Of course Linnaeus was a typologist, [Of course? Barbarian was trying to deny this a few posts ago] the theory of evolution wasn't formed yet. In fact, Darwin wasn't even born yet! You're trying to disprove Evolution with an older model![/quote]

The older taxonomic model still exists and is currently being used by almost everyone to one extent or another. Why? Because it works, and accurately represents the facts.

Louis Agassiz who advanced the theory of the ice ages.

Okay, so what? His advancement of the ice age is not evidence that his views on typology were more true than Darwin's theory of evolution. It's completely unrelated. This is a fallacious appeal to authority (as well as the next few names). In fact, I couldn't find anything that said Louis Agassiz was a typologist.
You clearly haven't read Denton.

Georges Cuvier, who virtually founded vertebrate palaeontology and comparative anatomy, was a typologist.

Georges Cuvier died before Darwin even conceived the theory of evolution!

As I have shown above, evolutionary theorising was nothing new.

Richard Owen, Director of the Natural History Museum in South Kensington, who originated the term dinosaur, was a typologist.

Just because he coined the word "dinosaur" doesn't mean his position on typology is correct. Again, appeal to authority.

But you contnually appeal to authority - meaning Darwin and his sycophants. Your criticism is immaterial.

The fact that all these great naturalists, who discovered the basic facts of comparative morphology on which modern evolutionary theory rests, all held nature to be a discontinuum of isolated and unique types, unbridged by transitional forms , which is a position absolutely at odds with evolutionary ideas, is exceedingly difficult to square with the idea that all the facts of biology irrefutably support an evolutionary interpretation.

Just because Darwin's Theory of Evolution replaced Linnaean Taxonomy, doesn't mean Lunnaean Taxonomy was completely wrong. It's just that the Theory of Evolution was "more correct".
Darwin's theory of evolution did not replace Linnaean taxonomy. It's still here today. Darwin was not a taxonomist, and evolution is not a taxonomc entity.

when people thought the earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.
-From the essay, Relativity of Wrong (keep in mind that the Earth is not a sphere, it's an oblate spheroid)[/quote]

Irrelevant.
The point is, theories aren't entirely right, or entirely wrong. They have different levels of correctness.
Evolution's degree of correctness is 0, or very near to that when we come to macroevolution. It is utterly useless in predicting or explaining anything,

Just to put your mind at rest, I acknowledge the fact of micro-evolution by natural selection - though Kettlewell's demise does cast a shadow on that.

Micro-evolution does not transgress any types. Macroevolution violates it absolutely.

Then you quote Cuvier. The quote merely explains what Cuvier believed. You didn't actually support evidence to back up his claims. Again, appeal to authority.

Everything cannot be put into a single post.

Denton goes on at very great lengths, which are to long to be reproduced here, but it is surely obvious that the modern idea of evolution was discredited right from the start, and by the very greatest naturalists of the age.

Actually, no, it isn't. All you did was appeal to authority.

Your implication is that these men did not know anything because they were before or around Darwin's time. That is unwisdom of startling magnitude.

Everyone else you mentioned who opposed Darwin, they didn't agree with his theory of evolution. That doesn't disprove evolution, especially since evolution has been peer reviewed and accepted as, well, a scientific theory. To put it simple, scientists like Georges Cuvier were defeated in the arena of ideas.
You seem to have no idea of what Cuvier actually said, and it might be an idea to look him up. Denton gives a useful bibliography in his Evolution: A Theory In Crisis, and you would do well to consult it.

In response to your criticism that this is 19th C biology, in that book (Evolution: A Theory In Crisis) there is an entire section on molecular biology which makes complete nonsense of evolutionary theory. If you would care to comment on this piece of 20th C biological science, I would appreciate hearing from you about it.

Here you go.

I see nothing about the 'common ancestor' there.

Want to amend that?

There's no such thing as Darwinism in the same sense that there's no such thing as Einsteinism or Newtonism.
Curious, because I find references to Darwinism all over the net. There are 3,820,000 references on google alone.

Regardless, here's a quote from a YouTube video:

Youtube? An authority?

This is a useful get out, but ignores the fact that Darwinism was used as an excuse for eugenics.

Back