Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

"Except a man be born again...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

herald

"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you..." Ezek 36:26,27.

Jesus answered and said unto him (Nicodemus) Verily, verily I say unto you, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Nicodemus saith unto Him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb and be born?

Jesus answered, Verily, verily I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." John 3:3-7.

Religion will not give you eternal life...You must have His Spirit within you to enter into the kingdom of God.

First, take Jesus as your Saviour from sin, and then invite His Spirit to live within you, and you will have eternal life - because He is eternal life.

Very true, Jesus doesn't just give eternal life, He is eternal life.

herald said:
"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put My Spirit within you..." Ezek 36:26,27.

Jesus answered and said unto him (Nicodemus) Verily, verily I say unto you, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Nicodemus saith unto Him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb and be born?

Jesus answered, Verily, verily I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." John 3:3-7.

Religion will not give you eternal life...You must have His Spirit within you to enter into the kingdom of God.

First, take Jesus as your Saviour from sin, and then invite His Spirit to live within you, and you will have eternal life - because He is eternal life.
"And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life (1 Jn.5:20)."

herald said:

I agree that man must be born again in order to see or enter the kingdom of God but strongly DISAGREE that man can do anything to effect it.

mutzrein -

You posted...

I agree that man must be born again in order to see or enter the kingdom of God but strongly DISAGREE that man can do anything to effect it.

It seems to me that you must feel that Calvin was correct.

If so, what merit is there to pointing out that man is helpless to effect his outcome?

If I were to adopt Calvin's interpretations, I'm thinking that I would be busy about enjoying myself with carnal things.

In Christ,

Pogo

But, many, that, follow Calvin's example, have lives filled with sin.

In Psalm 119, the word, "Word" is used interchangebly with, "law," "commandments," "judgments," "precepts," "statutes," "testimonies."

HIS WORD IS HIS LAW

Jesus said, "Not every one that SAITH Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that DOETH the will of My Father, which is in heaven.

MANY will say to Me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in Thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity." (lawlessness) Mt 7:21-23.

"And hereby we do know that we know Him, IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. He that SAITH, I KNOW HIM and keepeth not HIs commandments, is a LIAR, and the Truth is not in him: But whoso keepeth His Word, in him verily is the love of God perfected." 1 John 2:3-5.

Rom 16:26 refers to "the obedience of faith."
"By faith Abraham...obeyed." Heb 11:8.

When Moses struck the rock, God charged him with unbelief. Num 20:12. When the children of Israel disobeyed the Lord, they were not able to enter "The Promised Land," because of unbelief. Heb 3:19. Unbelief comes out of an evil heart. Heb 3:12.

Disobedience = Unbelief
Obedience = Faith

"Even so, faith if it hath not works is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe and tremble.

But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Was not Abraham our father (Ga 3:7,29) JUSTIFIED BY WORKS, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? (In response to the command of God)

SEEST THOU HOW FAITH WROUGHT WITH HIS WORKS, AND BY WORKS WAS FAITH MADE PERFECT?

And the Scripture was fufilled which saith, Abraham believed God (faith & works) and it was imputed to him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

YE SEE THEN HOW THAT BY WORKS A MAN IS JUSTIFIED AND NOT BY FAITH ONLY...For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." James 2

There is no true faith without obedience to the Word of God.

Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My commandments." John 14:15.

Jesus said, "He that hath My commandments, and keepeth them: he it is that LOVETH ME, and he that loveth Me SHALL BE LOVED OF MY FATHER, AND I WILL LOVE HIM, and will manifest Myself to him." John 14:21

"For this is love that we walk after His commandments." 2 John 6.

His church keeps His commandments: "And the Dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." Rev 12:17.

His saints keep His commandments: "Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus." Rev 14:12.

"As far as the east is from the west, so far hath He removed our transgressions ("Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4) from us...To such as keep His Covenant and to those that remember His commandments to do them." Ps 103.

"Blessed are they that do His commandments, that they may have RIGHT to the tree of life, AND MAY ENTER IN through the gates into the city." Rev 22:14.

Covenants have conditions.

"But be ye DOERS of the Word, and not hearers, only, DECEIVING yourselves." Ja 1:22.

Amen...

Jesus said, "He that rejecteth Me and receiveth not My Words, hath one that judgeth him, the Word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

In Psalm 119, the word, "Word," is used interchangeably with, "law," "commandments," "judgments," "precepts," "statutes,""testimonies."

HIS WORD IS HIS LAW.

The Apostle Paul wrote, "For as many as have sinned without the law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified." Rom 2:12,13.

The Apostle John wrote, "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4.

His Word/His law shall judge each one of us on the Day of Judgment.

May we be faithful to His Word.

Rom 4:16
16 For this cause (it is) of faith, that (it may be) according to grace; to the end that the promise may be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all ASV

Joe

Pogo said:
mutzrein -

You posted...

It seems to me that you must feel that Calvin was correct.

If so, what merit is there to pointing out that man is helpless to effect his outcome?

If I were to adopt Calvin's interpretations, I'm thinking that I would be busy about enjoying myself with carnal things.

In Christ,

Pogo

I don't know about that. I am aware of Calvin of course but I certainly haven't adopted his interpretations. I have come to believe what I do through my own reading of scripture and waiting on the Lord for Him to show me what I need to know.

I believe there is shared responsibility as far as man's 'outcome' is concerned. God is repsonsible for giving man life and after receiving it man has responsibility for what he does with it.

What do you say about that?

mutzrein -

I guess that you differ with Calvin somewhat.

I must agree with your following position...

I believe there is shared responsibility as far as man's 'outcome' is concerned. God is repsonsible for giving man life and after receiving it man has responsibility for what he does with it.

...but, I see this as being in conflict with your earlier position where you DISAGREE that, "...man can do anything to effect it."...regarding one's gaining entry to God's kingdom.

In Christ,

Pogo

If we are, truly, born again, we will obey His Word.

HIS WORD = HIS LAW

Jesus said, "He that rejecteth Me and receiveth not My Words, hath one that judgeth him, the Word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day." John 12:48.

The Apostle Paul wrote, "For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified." Rom 2:12,13.

The Apostle John wrote, "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

And ye know that He was manifested TO TAKE AWAY OUR SINS; and in Him is no sin.

Whosoever abideth in Him (walks in His Spirit) sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen Him, NEITHER KNOWN HIM (Mt 7:21-23).

Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.

He that committeth sin is of the Devil; for the Devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose was the Son of God manifested, that He might destroy the works of the Devil.

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for His seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the Devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." 1 John 3.

"But be ye DOERS of the Word, and not hearers, only, DECEIVING yourselves." Ja 1:22.

1 John 2:12-15
12 I am writing to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for His name's sake. 13 I am writing to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one. I have written to you, children, because you know the Father. 14 I have written to you, fathers, because you know Him who has been from the beginning. I have written to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one. NAS

The spirit of Jesus Christ is testifying to us through John of the order of the revelation and work of grace that God has given us in Jesus.

First we are as new born babes---forgiven, freely by his grace in the voice of God(faith) through the blood of Jesus.

Then when we are spiritually twenty years of age God's arms us for the spiritual warfare.

Then when we are spiritually sixty years of age God takes us from the warfare and gives us to understand foreknowledge and we become counselors to the youth who are fighting the spiritual enemy.

Joe

"I am crucified with Christ..." Ga 2:20

"What shall we say then? SHALL WE CONTINUE IN SIN that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we that are dead to sin live any longer therein?" Rom 6:1.

"Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law." Rom 3:31.

When we have true faith, we will obey His Word.

herald,

Amen and Amen. Keep fighting the good fight of faith.

1 Tim 6:11-14
11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
12 Fight the good fight of the faith, lay hold on the life eternal, whereunto thou wast called, and didst confess the good confession in the sight of many witnesses.
13 I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession;
14 that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: ASV

1 John 5:4
and this is the victory that hath overcome the world, (even) our faith. ASV

Joe

Oh, how I love His Word.

Our Creator Spoke The Worlds Into Existence: "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the Word of God..." Heb 11:3.

"Who (Jesus) being the brightness of His glory, and express image of His person, and upholding all things by the Word of His power..." Heb 1:3.

The First Challenge To The Word of God Was In The Garden Of Eden: " Satan queried, "Yea, hath God said...?" Gen 3:1.

We Are Born Again By His Word: "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God, which liveth and abideth forever." 1 Pe 1:23; Ja 1:18;John 15:3;Eph 5:25,26.

Obeying His Word Keeps Us From Sin: "Thy Word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against Thee." Ps 119:11.

His Word Guides Us: "Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Ps 119:105,67,103.

His Word Is Bread To Our Spirit: Jesus said, "It is written, Man shall not live by bread, alone, but by every Word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matt 4:4.

"...I have esteemed the Words of His mouth more than my necessary food." Job 23:12.

"Thy Words were found and I did eat them; and Thy Word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of my heart..." Jer 15:16.

Faith Comes By His Word: "So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God." Rom 10:17.

The Roman Centurion...said...but, speak the Word, only, and my servant shall be healed." Mt 8:8
Jesus responded, "Verily, verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel." Mt 8:10.

Healing And Deliverance Come By His Word: "He sent His Word and healed them and delivered them from their destructions." Ps 107:20.

Tradition Renders The Word Of God, Useless: Mt 15:1-9.

Those Who Obey God's Word Are More Blessed Than Mary: "...a certain woman...said unto Him, Blessed is the womb that bare Thee and the paps which Thou hast sucked." But, He (Jesus) said, Yea, rather, blessed are they that hear the Word of God and keep it." Lu 11:27,28.

We Are To Tremble At His Word: "...but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at My Word." Isa 66:2.

Jesus Quoted Scripture In Spiritual Warfare With Satan: "It is written..." Mt 4:4,7,10/

"And take the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God." Eph 6:17.

"For the Word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Heb 4:12.

We Are To Search The Scriptures To Verify What We Are Taught: "The Bereans were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the Word with all readiness of mind, and searched the Scriptures daily, whether those things were so." Acts 17:11.

The Disciples Spoke The Word Of God: "...ye received the Word of God, which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in Truth, the Word of God..." 1 Thess 2:13.

Men Are Martyred For The Word Of God: "And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the Word of God..." REv 6:9.

My grandparents were missionaries to China. My grandfather was arrested by Mao Tse Tung, a gun held to his head, and ordered to renounce his faith. Instead, he preached the gospel to thousands of Communist Chinese. They threw him into a dungeon. After sometime, he cried out to the Lord, "Take me home, or, set me free." That day, "someone" came, opened the door. He thought he was going to be executed. Instead, he led him to the Hong Kong Harbor.

Meanwhile, the Communists went to every house in their village and killed all foreigners, except my grandparent's house. My grandmother fled with the three children into the wilderness. My father, a very cerebral Pathologist, said, bandits would ride up, slit your clothes, looking for jewels, and kill you. Out of nowhere, there was a sound of a bugle that scared them off.

My grandfather found his family and went to Singapore.

But Most Significant Of All: Jesus is The Word of God. John 1:1;1 John 1:1;1 John 5:7.

"And He was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and HIS NAME IS CALLED THE WORD OF GOD." Rev 19:13.

Pogo said:
mutzrein -

I guess that you differ with Calvin somewhat.

I must agree with your following position...

...but, I see this as being in conflict with your earlier position where you DISAGREE that, "...man can do anything to effect it."...regarding one's gaining entry to God's kingdom.

In Christ,

Pogo

OK - so do you think it is possible for man to choose be born?

The evidence of conversion, is a life lived in obedience to the Word of God, anything else is lawlessness, and Jesus will reject those who are lawless.

mutzrein -

You asked...

OK - so do you think it is possible for man to choose be born?

No, I don't.

But, I do see man being RE-BORN as being entirely elective on his part.

I see the scriptures as teaching of two births and two deaths.

Once we experience our first birth (the physical one) we each are then facing two deaths ahead of us.

One physical, and one spiritual.

Except for those living on the last day, I see the first death (the physical one) as also being guaranteed to each of us who have experienced the first birth.

However, it is those who DO elect to be RE-BORN of water, and thus experience the second birth (the spiritual one) who will then have a chance of avoiding the second death (the spiritual one).

In Christ,

Pogo

herald said:
The evidence of conversion, is a life lived in obedience to the Word of God, anything else is lawlessness, and Jesus will reject those who are lawless.
herald,

Love to our weak brother is the fulfilling of the law. Galatians 5:14, James 2:8, Leviticus 19:18.

Was Judas being "lawless" when he said," Why was this not sold and given to the poor?"

Joe

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back