Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Favorite Fiction

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

RachelKeeth

I love reading both fiction and books on theology/christian-living, but I thought it may be nice to specifically have a thread to discuss fiction.

Recently some of the fiction books I have read have been:

The Wingfeather Saga: There are currently three books released and another due to release this year. The books are written by christian author, singer, and artist Andrew Peterson. The books are incredibly witty and well written. He wrote them so that both children and adults could enjoy them together. I would highly suggest these books, but do not look into the other books until after you have read the first or you could see some major spoilers! The books in order are On The Edge Of The Dark Sea Of Darkness, North! Or Be Eaten, and Monster In The Hollows.

I also recently read The Hunger Games trilogy for the third time. Yeah, I kinda like the books. ;) I like that the books have so many great messages in them and so much meaning. It really gets me to thinking. The first one is about protecting family, doing what is right, how twisted America has become, and so much more! The books are of course fiction, but those types of things have happened before. The Arena reminds me of the Gladiators in Rome and the districts reminds me of the Holocaust.

A few months ago I read a really good book, Cinder. It is a retelling of Cinderella but with a big twist, Cinder is a cyborg and a mechanic living in New Beijing. I mention this one because the second book in the series is released next month.

Entwined was good as well. It is a book based off of the fairy tale of the Twelve Dancing Princesses.

There are a lot of others as well but I think this is good to get the thread going.

I love reading both fiction and books on theology/christian-living, but I thought it may be nice to specifically have a thread to discuss fiction.

Recently some of the fiction books I have read have been:

The Wingfeather Saga: There are currently three books released and another due to release this year. The books are written by christian author, singer, and artist Andrew Peterson. The books are incredibly witty and well written. He wrote them so that both children and adults could enjoy them together. I would highly suggest these books, but do not look into the other books until after you have read the first or you could see some major spoilers! The books in order are On The Edge Of The Dark Sea Of Darkness, North! Or Be Eaten, and Monster In The Hollows.

I also recently read The Hunger Games trilogy for the third time. Yeah, I kinda like the books. ;) I like that the books have so many great messages in them and so much meaning. It really gets me to thinking. The first one is about protecting family, doing what is right, how twisted America has become, and so much more! The books are of course fiction, but those types of things have happened before. The Arena reminds me of the Gladiators in Rome and the districts reminds me of the Holocaust.

A few months ago I read a really good book, Cinder. It is a retelling of Cinderella but with a big twist, Cinder is a cyborg and a mechanic living in New Beijing. I mention this one because the second book in the series is released next month.

Entwined was good as well. It is a book based off of the fairy tale of the Twelve Dancing Princesses.

There are a lot of others as well but I think this is good to get the thread going.

Rachel:

Well, sounds like you're a real reader, and from your choice of reading it's clear where you may be getting your interest in science fiction, from also!

Do you want to go study literature at college someplace, maybe?

Blessings.

Rachel:

Well, sounds like you're a real reader, and from your choice of reading it's clear where you may be getting your interest in science fiction, from also!

Do you want to go study literature at college someplace, maybe?

Blessings.

Most of my family are geeks and nerds, so it is kind of a family thing so we all have our own taste with sci-fi and fantasy. I am actually not planning on going to collage, nor are any of my other sisters. Odd choice I know but I feel like this is the Lord's will for my life, and I actually know some people locally who feel the same.

Most of my family are geeks and nerds, so it is kind of a family thing so we all have our own taste with sci-fi and fantasy. I am actually not planning on going to collage, nor are any of my other sisters. Odd choice I know but I feel like this is the Lord's will for my life, and I actually know some people locally who feel the same.

Rachel:

Well, you must know, of course; often this is what people who read various sorts of literature a lot want to do, anyway.

Blessings.

Rachel:

Well, you must know, of course; often this is what people who read various sorts of literature a lot want to do, anyway.

Blessings.

Yes, that is true. And even though I don't plan to go to collage I still do teach myself a lot, mainly through books.

I like science fiction & fantasy books too. Robert Heinlein books! Stranger in a Strange Land, Friday, Methuselahs Children, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long, The Door into Summer, Puppet Masters, Farnhams Freehold, The green Hills of Earth. Some other authors I like are Asimov, Bradbury, Piers Anthony, Terry Brooks, Dan Britain, Frank Herbert, Frank Peretti, Robert Lynn Asprin, Terry Cook, John D. Mcdonald, C.S. Lewis, Stephen King, Lahaye/Jenkins, Hal Lindsey, John Bunyun and John Stuart Mill. There's a few in there that are non-fiction. I like to read. I probably forgot some.
I've never heard of most of those, I need to look into them!

Another really good book is Aualia's Colors by Jeffery Overstreet. I have also read the second book in the series but I still need to read the next two books. The book is amazing though, it makes me look at all the colors around me a whole new way. It also makes me want to buy some soft red bamboo yarn from Hobby Lobby even though I can't knit or crochet.

If you like Christian fiction, check out This Present Darkness, by Frank Peretti. It was pretty awesome book about Spiritual warfare where a preacher and a reporter team up to fight the devils minions. It reads more like an action movie than Christian literature and was excellent.
I do like Christian fiction, as long as the author writes well, knows how to use grammar, has character development, interesting characters, good plots, etc. I have actually been told about that book and have been wanting to read it but kept forgetting to read, thanks! I will add it to me "To-read" list on GoodReads.

by Frank Perett
One of my sisters has actually been reading a lot more by Frank Peretti lately and is really enjoying his books. I am hoping I will enjoy his adult books. Years ago I read one of his books from the series Cooper Kids Adventure and could not stand it, which is why I have not read anything else by him yet.

If you like Christian fiction, check out This Present Darkness, by Frank Peretti. It was pretty awesome book about Spiritual warfare where a preacher and a reporter team up to fight the devils minions. It reads more like an action movie than Christian literature and was excellent.

E: I've heard a lot about the Peretti guy, but so far I've not read any. So he's good, is he?

Blessings.

One of my sisters has actually been reading a lot more by Frank Peretti lately and is really enjoying his books. I am hoping I will enjoy his adult books. Years ago I read one of his books from the series Cooper Kids Adventure and could not stand it, which is why I have not read anything else by him yet.

Rachel: So was the Peretti book you read too childish or something? I guess for a guy that writes both for adults and for children it can sometimes be hard to bridge the gap consciously.

Usually writers try to do one or the other, not both.

Blessings.

I like him. I only read two of his books, This Present Darkness, and the sequel, Piercing the Darkness. I thought the first one was better but it was still good. It's pretty riveting and action packed. Not slow like some sci-fi books can be. I recommend it.

E: Kind of contemporary or future allegorical, is it, like Pilgrim's Progress was in its day, I suppose.

Blessings.

Rachel: So was the Peretti book you read too childish or something? I guess for a guy that writes both for adults and for children it can sometimes be hard to bridge the gap consciously.

Usually writers try to do one or the other, not both.

Blessings.

Well since this was a long time ago it was not too childish but I could not stand the father in it. Whenever there was anything dangerous he would have his kids do it first. "Oh, here is a dangerous bridge that is over a deep canon, why don't I let my son and daughter go over it first so if one of us dies it is them" It kinda got on my nerves.

Well since this was a long time ago it was not too childish but I could not stand the father in it. Whenever there was anything dangerous he would have his kids do it first. "Oh, here is a dangerous bridge that is over a deep canon, why don't I let my son and daughter go over it first so if one of us dies it is them" It kinda got on my nerves.

Rachel: Sounds a bit weird, yes.

Blessings.

I do like Christian fiction, as long as the author writes well, knows how to use grammar, has character development, interesting characters, good plots, etc. I have actually been told about that book and have been wanting to read it but kept forgetting to read, thanks! I will add it to me "To-read" list on GoodReads.

I tend to agree with your criteria for what makes a good author. Over the last few years, I have very much enjoyed reading some of the books by Joel Rosenberg that I think meet your criteria very well. Over all, I think my favorite author before his passing was Michael Crichton.

I tend to agree with your criteria for what makes a good author. Over the last few years, I have very much enjoyed reading some of the books by Joel Rosenberg that I think meet your criteria very well. Over all, I think my favorite author before his passing was Michael Crichton.

What are some books by them that you would recommend?

What are some books by them that you would recommend?

Joel Rosenberg has a set of books called the Last Jihad series, I have read three of them so far: The Ezekiel Option, the Copper Scroll, and Dead Heat. Once I started reading any of these books, I was completely engrossed and found it difficult to put down. I definitely need to go back and finish the rest of his series.

I would recommend any of Michael Crichton's books, I think i've read most of them by now. Before his passing, his newer books were modern yet relevant science fiction novels including Prey, State of Fear, Next, as well as Jurassic Park.

An absolutely stunning book I enjoyed to read was Herman Melville's "Moby Dick".
I have both a German and an English version of it, but I must admit I didn't dare reading the English one because of all the nautical words and the dated language. The German translation I have is very good though. The writing is amazing, and Melville switches back and forth between writing styles, he make excursions (is that the right word?) on details of whale hunting, life on the ship and all kinds of things. Getting very deep and philosophical at times. It's one of those books that are about actually everything. Very breath taking, in a good way.
The main plot line is about a captain's vengefull quest to kill a white whale that injured and crippled him years ago, told from the point of view of a crewman that was unlucky to be hired on that whale hunter's ship. It's a story about hatred and vegeance can drive people insane and into the abyss (literally, in this case).

Another favorite fiction of mine is the whole Star Trek stuff.
I know it's an atheist humanist fiction world, but I love it for its positive view on mankind and our future. The premise of Star Trek is that the good will triumph over evil in humans and we will establish a peacefull and rich world that will allow us to explore space and face all those new challenges that come with space travelling.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back