Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Favorite Fiction

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
An absolutely stunning book I enjoyed to read was Herman Melville's "Moby Dick".
I have both a German and an English version of it, but I must admit I didn't dare reading the English one because of all the nautical words and the dated language. The German translation I have is very good though. The writing is amazing, and Melville switches back and forth between writing styles, he make excursions (is that the right word?) on details of whale hunting, life on the ship and all kinds of things. Getting very deep and philosophical at times. It's one of those books that are about actually everything. Very breath taking, in a good way.
The main plot line is about a captain's vengefull quest to kill a white whale that injured and crippled him years ago, told from the point of view of a crewman that was unlucky to be hired on that whale hunter's ship. It's a story about hatred and vegeance can drive people insane and into the abyss (literally, in this case).

Another favorite fiction of mine is the whole Star Trek stuff.
I know it's an atheist humanist fiction world, but I love it for its positive view on mankind and our future. The premise of Star Trek is that the good will triumph over evil in humans and we will establish a peacefull and rich world that will allow us to explore space and face all those new challenges that come with space travelling.

Claudya:

It's a classic.

Partly based out of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Claudya, what did you do with your avatar? :chair

My favorite secular author has always been Tom Clancy. I wish he was still writing, but I believe anything with his name these days is only by a ghost writer. I have an old audio tape of Frank Peretti speaking to an audience that is fantastic. I really need to find someone who can transfer it to a cd so I can create an mp3 out of it. I've tried to read his books, but I'm afraid they're not my gig. They just come off silly to me.

If I'm looking for Christian fiction, I'm really drawn to biblical fiction. Francine Rivers has my favorite set of books called "Mark of the Lion". They are simply brilliant. At the risk of sounding sexist, she doesn't write like a female romance author. Another of my favorite such authors is Lynn Austin. She has a great series about the kings of Israel.

Andrew Peterson, eh? Isn't he a singer/song writer as well? The one who wrote/sang Dancing in the Minefields? I'd be interested in reading any books of his.

TBH I don't do much reading outside of schoolwork right now. The most fiction that gets is reading classical books, or historical fiction. Which, I do enjoy those genres.

I've been reading the Left Behind series by Tim Lahay (sp?), which is pretty good. But making very slow progress due to my school reading.

Actually, I do read fan fiction for shows and movies I like quite a bit. It's especially cool when I can find one where they made it Christian somehow. There's this one author on FFN who has several Sonic fanfics up that are Christian allegories, and he does a really good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew Peterson, eh? Isn't he a singer/song writer as well? The one who wrote/sang Dancing in the Minefields? I'd be interested in reading any books of his.

TBH I don't do much reading outside of schoolwork right now. The most fiction that gets is reading classical books, or historical fiction. Which, I do enjoy those genres.

I've been reading the Left Behind series by Tim Lahay (sp?), which is pretty good. But making very slow progress due to my school reading.

Actually, I do read fan fiction for shows and movies I like quite a bit. It's especially cool when I can find one where they made it Christian somehow. There's this one author on FFN who has several Sonic fanfics up that are Christian allegories, and he does a really good job.

Yes, he did write that song, which I love! I need to listen to more of his music. His books are awesome, I was actually suggesting them to a visitor at church today.

If you like Christian fiction, check out This Present Darkness, by Frank Peretti. It was pretty awesome book about Spiritual warfare where a preacher and a reporter team up to fight the devils minions. It reads more like an action movie than Christian literature and was excellent.
While looking for a book to read while my Kindle charged I found This Present Darkness among our many books. I could not get into it though so I put it back.

While looking for a book to read while my Kindle charged I found This Present Darkness among our many books. I could not get into it though so I put it back.

Rachel:

I've heard a lot about the Peretti book, but have never read it...

Blessings.

Ordered some new books into the library and my mom is picking one of them up for me today! The fiction books that I ordered are:
Eragon (have never read)
The Circle Trilogy (have never read)
Divergent (have never read)
Cyndere's midnight (read once in the past)

I will let y'all know what I think of these books when I finish them! When I read Cyndere's Midnight in the past I loved it, it is the second book in the Auralia Thread series, I still need to read the last two books.

Ordered some new books into the library and my mom is picking one of them up for me today! The fiction books that I ordered are:
Eragon (have never read)
The Circle Trilogy (have never read)
Divergent (have never read)
Cyndere's midnight (read once in the past)

I will let y'all know what I think of these books when I finish them! When I read Cyndere's Midnight in the past I loved it, it is the second book in the Auralia Thread series, I still need to read the last two books.

Rachel:

Well, interesting. So who is Auralia?

Blessings.

Rachel:

Well, interesting. So who is Auralia?

Blessings.
This is a good synopses of the first book, Auralia's Colors.

"When thieves find an abandoned child lying in a monster’s footprint, they have no idea that their wilderness discovery will change the course of history.

Cloaked in mystery, Auralia grows up among criminals outside the walls of House Abascar, where vicious beastmen lurk in shadow. There, she discovers an unsettling–and forbidden–talent for crafting colors that enchant all who behold them, including Abascar’s hard-hearted king, an exiled wizard, and a prince who keeps dangerous secrets.

Auralia’s gift opens doors from the palace to the dungeons, setting the stage for violent and miraculous change in the great houses of the Expanse.

Auralia’s Colors weaves literary fantasy together with poetic prose, a suspenseful plot, adrenaline-rush action, and unpredictable characters sure to enthrall ambitious imaginations." -GoodReads

This is a good synopses of the first book, Auralia's Colors.

"When thieves find an abandoned child lying in a monster’s footprint, they have no idea that their wilderness discovery will change the course of history.

Cloaked in mystery, Auralia grows up among criminals outside the walls of House Abascar, where vicious beastmen lurk in shadow. There, she discovers an unsettling–and forbidden–talent for crafting colors that enchant all who behold them, including Abascar’s hard-hearted king, an exiled wizard, and a prince who keeps dangerous secrets.

Auralia’s gift opens doors from the palace to the dungeons, setting the stage for violent and miraculous change in the great houses of the Expanse.

Auralia’s Colors weaves literary fantasy together with poetic prose, a suspenseful plot, adrenaline-rush action, and unpredictable characters sure to enthrall ambitious imaginations." -GoodReads

Rachel:

Ty.

Well, it sounds like science fiction that you are really into!

"Ethical science fiction", I guess.

Blessings.

PS: Rachel: Isn't Auralia also the name of a type of stiletto heeled shoe?

It would be interesting to know if the book was named for the stilettos, or if the stilettos were named for the book character.

Or whether it was coincidence. ('If the shoe fits, wear it...')

Blessings.

I hadn't read the Ted Dekker's, Circle Triology either. I just downloaded it tonight. I use our Colorado Consortium alot.

PS: Rachel: Isn't Auralia also the name of a type of stiletto heeled shoe?

It would be interesting to know if the book was named for the stilettos, or if the stilettos were named for the book character.

Or whether it was coincidence. ('If the shoe fits, wear it...')

Blessings.
Umm... I have no clue. The author probably just liked the name. ;)

Rachel: Just type Auralia into a search engine... :)

Blessings.
I did and all I got was a ear training program and Auralia's Colors; maybe the Auralia you are speaking of is spelled another way.

I am not recovered from hitting my head so I was able to start reading again today! I started Eragon and am now 21% through it, really enjoying it!

I did and all I got was a ear training program and Auralia's Colors; maybe the Auralia you are speaking of is spelled another way.

I am not recovered from hitting my head so I was able to start reading again today! I started Eragon and am now 21% through it, really enjoying it!

Rachel:

Hope you'll be feeling better.

Try clicking the 'image' icon instead on the search engine...

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back