Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Favorite styles and types of music?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

OhFarouk

Okay so what are people's favorite types and styles of music?

(Feel free to refer to 2 or 3 or more.)

Blessings.

Traditional hymns, especially if the words are memorable and Scriptural.

Bach counterpoint is a favorite.

Some Christian hard rock with Biblical lyrics can be effective.

Blessings.

Bluegrass
Country
Southern Gospel

I enjoy many other types of music as well, including jazz, light rock and some classical music, but those are by far my favorite.

The TOG​

Almost all kinds of heavy metal. Also, hard rock, classical music (especially of the baroque era) and folk or world music. During autumn I always hunger for irish folk for some reason.

Almost all kinds of heavy metal. Also, hard rock, classical music (especially of the baroque era) and folk or world music. During autumn I always hunger for irish folk for some reason.

Hi Claudya. I like that an appreciation for classical music can go together for a liking for heavy metal & hard rock.

Bluegrass
Country
Southern Gospel

I enjoy many other types of music as well, including jazz, light rock and some classical music, but those are by far my favorite.

The TOG​

Kind of strong, Southern flavor, right? :)

Types of music I currently love with example bands next to them (Big variety, I know ;) ) :
  • Christian Post-Hardcore/Metalcore - Wolves At The Gate, Fit For A King, For Today, Oh Sleeper, A Bullet For Pretty Boy
  • Christian Hard Rock/Rock - Skillet, Fireflight, Flyleaf, Relient K, Disciple, Theocracy, Hawk Nelson
  • Hardrock/Rock etc. - A Day To Remember, Green Day, The Ghost Inside, Parkway Drive, Miss May I, We Came As Romans
  • Worship - Hillsong Live, Hillsong United, Casting Crowns, Kutless, Newsboys, Jesus Culture, Planetshakers (might see them live in 2 weeks!), Chris Tomlin
  • Glitch Hop/Dubstep - Tristam, Pegboard Nerds, Tut Tut Child

Rock music in general, with some emphasis on hard rock. I also like metal, but like hard rock a bit more than I like metal.
I do like a little pop rock, but it depends.
Worship music in general.
I'm not sure what genre Owl City is generally considered, but his music is quite enamoring and I tend to listen to it a lot while drawing.
I like a lot of anime music, too, and I'm pretty sure most of that is J-pop. So I guess I like some J-pop, too.

Genres I like the least would include country, rap, hiphop, etc. There are exceptions, since I have liked individual songs from these genres. And I used to enjoy the older type of country, but that was before my perspective on music changed and before I had allowed myself to discover other genres.

Last edited:
Rock music in general, with some emphasis on hard rock. I also like metal, but like hard rock a bit more than I like metal.
... I used to enjoy the older type of country, but that was before my perspective on music changed and before I had allowed myself to discover other genres.

questdriven:

Ty.

I guess as you discovered hard rock and metal, you kind of discovered yourself, right? as your perspective on music changed?

Blessings.

Yes, in fact there is probably a deeper connection between the two types of music as well...
I imagine for a 17 and 18th century person those mighty organ pieces like Bach's Toccata and Fugue were as powerful as metal is for us now.

Actually, 18th century organ music can still blow you away in the 21st century. But you have to hear it live on a real organ. Listening to recorded organ music from a CD or on the radio is rather lame. Live organ music is totally stunning though. The bigger the organ, the better. Nothing beats the sound of a huge organ in a huge church. That's way more than just listening to music; it's a physical experience. After a few minutes you will feel like you can not just hear, but also see the music and taste it, and feel its vibrations in your bones. No method of recording can capture the soul-searing beauty of real organ music.
Metal can have the same intensity. But unlike classical music that was written for accoustic instruments metal has always been played on electrical amplified instruments. So it doesn't loose much of its quality if you listen to it from your mp3 player, given you have decent speakers. So in our day and age of recorded and digital music metal and rock are the most powerful and sweeping ways to enjoy music and thus also the best styles of music for praising God.
:rocking

Actually, 18th century organ music can still blow you away in the 21st century. But you have to hear it live on a real organ. Listening to recorded organ music from a CD or on the radio is rather lame. Live organ music is totally stunning though. The bigger the organ, the better. Nothing beats the sound of a huge organ in a huge church. That's way more than just listening to music; it's a physical experience. After a few minutes you will feel like you can not just hear, but also see the music and taste it, and feel its vibrations in your bones. No method of recording can capture the soul-searing beauty of real organ music.
Metal can have the same intensity. But unlike classical music that was written for accoustic instruments metal has always been played on electrical amplified instruments. So it doesn't loose much of its quality if you listen to it from your mp3 player, given you have decent speakers. So in our day and age of recorded and digital music metal and rock are the most powerful and sweeping ways to enjoy music and thus also the best styles of music for praising God.
:rocking

Bach-style counterpoint is comparable to some heavy metal, certainly.

I guess pipe organs were earlier generations' equivalent to 'ghetto-blaster' amplification systems...

questdriven would I'm sure share you your liking for really loud heavy metal and hard rock.

I do think that worship in spirit and in truth (John 4) also involves Biblically-based lyrics.

Bach-style counterpoint is comparable to some heavy metal, certainly.
I wish I'd understand more about music theory to explore the similarities. But listening to some of Bach's organ pieces I always hear metal.
There is a church hymn in our church song books called "Jesu meine Freude" (=Jesus my joy) which's tune was originally composed by Bach as part of a motet, but our song book version is a lot simplified. It's very well known here, one of the most famous church hymns. Whenever hearing or singing it I always thought "Dang, this oughta be a metal song." Then I found this on youtube:

I think if Bach would live today he'd be a metalhead.

I guess pipe organs were earlier generations' equivalent to 'ghetto-blaster' amplification systems...

Imagine a young rebellious 17th century guy walking through the streets carrying an organ on his shoulder... :lol

I do think that worship in spirit and in truth (John 4) also involves Biblically-based lyrics.
Worship doesn't require words at all... just truth and spirit. Words are for human communication, but God can see right through us.
But the vocalists of a worship band has to communicate with her or his listeners, so they have to use good christian lyrics of course. That's what sets worship music appart from other christian music or secular music. As far as I am concerned worship music should sound more like death metal than like Hillsong-ish pop music. But the lyrics matter most.

I wish I'd understand more about music theory to explore the similarities. But listening to some of Bach's organ pieces I always hear metal.
There is a church hymn in our church song books called "Jesu meine Freude" (=Jesus my joy) which's tune was originally composed by Bach as part of a motet, but our song book version is a lot simplified. It's very well known here, one of the most famous church hymns. Whenever hearing or singing it I always thought "Dang, this oughta be a metal song." Then I found this on youtube:

I think if Bach would live today he'd be a metalhead.

Imagine a young rebellious 17th century guy walking through the streets carrying an organ on his shoulder... :lol

Worship doesn't require words at all... just truth and spirit. Words are for human communication, but God can see right through us.
But the vocalists of a worship band has to communicate with her or his listeners, so they have to use good christian lyrics of course. That's what sets worship music appart from other christian music or secular music. As far as I am concerned worship music should sound more like death metal than like Hillsong-ish pop music. But the lyrics matter most.

I really like Jesu meine Freude, both aesthetically and spiritually (not the same thing).

Back