Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

First impression of new board

Tell us about your first impression

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
i could verify it. Hi Stove. We need a check on reposts. I deliberately double clicked the Post Reply link and got repeated posts.

I'm starting to miss the old forum. :sad I had more control, seemingly less problems is the direction is seems to be heading here with all of the new errors I get.
Edward,
Please have patience. You know we were slated to go live in November and why this migration was pulled ahead. We'll get there, just hold tight. Our members come first, then staff.

One thing I've noticed after a few days now is that this seems to work a lot faster now. The old site always ran slow on whatever computer I used. There was often a longer than usual wait when clicking on links. Firefox seemed to work better than IE, and it wasn't so bad that it was unusable, but it was always noticeable. Now that problem seems to be gone and this site speeds right along like all the other web sites. Wonderful improvement.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it looks a lot nicer too! :)

Oh I will. I'm certainly hanging in there and I'm sure it will all work out eventually. I can only imagine your sense of frustration at all of this. It has to get to you a little bit, lol. I appreciate all of your effort and work on it too.!

I think last night when our hosting company decided to delete a table in our database because it was too big was about the first time I ever really got frustrated. I knew from our sandbox many of the challenges that were facing us. The early migration just put a little pressure on getting them resolved. With all of the modifictations to the old site, they didn't port in cleanly so I've been doing a tremendous amount of back end work required before most of the front end work could start. Rick and Mike are now able to jump in and run with the front end fixes and I'm happy about that.

One thing I've noticed after a few days now is that this seems to work a lot faster now. The old site always ran slow on whatever computer I used. There was often a longer than usual wait when clicking on links. Firefox seemed to work better than IE, and it wasn't so bad that it was unusable, but it was always noticeable. Now that problem seems to be gone and this site speeds right along like all the other web sites. Wonderful improvement.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it looks a lot nicer too! :)
Well, when we migrated the site, we also moved it to another hosting company. Unfortunatly the devil's in the details and we didn't get what we thought we were getting. As a result, they shut our site down when we exceed cpu or ram usage. We are looking for alternatives right now... more to come...

If I remember right Obediah, you were in the group that when they logged in, you couldn't see anything and got a permissions denied. That took some digging and I ended up finding 1832 other members that were effected. I received 5 emails from members in the same boat you were.

I super appreciated your patience and encouragement while you waited for me to find and fix the issue.

Well, when we migrated the site, we also moved it to another hosting company. Unfortunatly the devil's in the details and we didn't get what we thought we were getting. As a result, they shut our site down when we exceed cpu or ram usage. We are looking for alternatives right now... more to come...

If I remember right Obediah, you were in the group that when they logged in, you couldn't see anything and got a permissions denied. That took some digging and I ended up finding 1832 other members that were effected. I received 5 emails from members in the same boat you were.

I super appreciated your patience and encouragement while you waited for me to find and fix the issue.
No problem. I know it's a lot of unexpected work right now and appreciate you guys that not only are willing but also know how to do all this! The slowness I was talking about was on the old hosting company, not Xenforo. After you switched over a few days ago I could still use CF.net as a guest to at least read, so even when I couldn't use it logged in the increase in speed was still noticeable (and appreciated!) I did notice someone saying they got kicked out since moving to Xenforo when it was busy, but that hasn't happened to me yet. It's worked great for me so far since you got the permissions problem solved for us!

So,
I know that right now we are still working on the board and we have a lot to do before it's where we want it. For our members who were on last Saturday and Sunday when our database started crashing, I'm sure you'll understand that this migration came about a month earlier than planned.

Well, with that said, what do ya all think of the new digs! Personally, I think it's pretty cool. And for those that are going to ask about the home page http://christianforums.net we have big plans for that page coming soon.

Thanks to all who have worked hard to make a difficult transition.

Thanks to all at Cfnet for this valuable place to learn and grow.

God Bless you all!

JLB

Thanks both of you.
Obediah we changed servers when we changed boards. We keep maxing out the CPU to 100% and they shut us down... but yes, xenforo is much quicker and when the chaos is clear, we've got some tweaks to make it go faster.

Jlb
Sorry for every post of yours being moderated. You weren't alone so thank you for your patience. We think we've got that bug taken care of.....

I am extremely surprised to hear that. I think the site is cleaner and easier both on my android phone and Nexus 7 tablet.

Your not using tapatalk are you? If so, try the site natively.
Just where is the button for natively? I personally like the non mobile display on mobile phone. With the non mobile display I know what the laptop /desktop display will look like when I change devices. Since I tend toward using looks to help with understanding. The new system leaves me lost reading some others posts as well (when they used text organization to make points).

I do appreciate the site though. I am always in awe of this service.

Thanks for all of you

eddif

I haven't voted in a lot of polls, but I did notice that there was (at least some times) an "unvote" option in the old forum. I don't see one here, so I can't change my vote from "Haven't decided yet" to "Hate it".

The TOG​

How do you quote and check your usercp or equivalent settings?

Just where is the button for natively? I personally like the non mobile display on mobile phone. With the non mobile display I know what the laptop /desktop display will look like when I change devices. Since I tend toward using looks to help with understanding. The new system leaves me lost reading some others posts as well (when they used text organization to make points).

I do appreciate the site though. I am always in awe of this service.

Thanks for all of you

eddif
Thanks Eddif,
The mobil view is built into the core software. I know it lacks detail from what you see on your pc, but it's a lot cleaner than the old site IMHO. As we continue to mark items off our checklist, adding detail to the mobil version is something I'd like to look into.

How do you quote and check your usercp or equivalent settings?
To quote another user, just click on the "Reply" button to the right of the post you want to quote and it will quote for you.
As far as your usercp, hover over your name in the far right corner when you first log into the forum and all of your options are listed.

Thanks Eddif,
The mobil view is built into the core software. I know it lacks detail from what you see on your pc, but it's a lot cleaner than the old site IMHO. As we continue to mark items off our checklist, adding detail to the mobil version is something I'd like to look into.

StoveBolts: Great efforts! much appreciated.

I haven't voted in a lot of polls, but I did notice that there was (at least some times) an "unvote" option in the old forum. I don't see one here, so I can't change my vote from "Haven't decided yet" to "Hate it".

The TOG​
you hate it?
I'm really sorry you feel that way. :sad

The TOG​
What do you dislike about it?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back