Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Four Things God Wants You to Know

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
More Than Forgiven!

A Study Of
The Eight Major Doctrines Which Define New Testament Salvation

By
Timothy S. Morton

http://members.citynet.net/morton/forgiven.htm#Anchor17

VIII. REDEMPTION

Redemption means to purchase or buy back something that originally belonged to the purchaser. Concerning salvation, it refers to the death of Jesus Christ where He buys back the sinner, His blood being the payment.

Redemption is the foundation of salvation; it is the basis of the seven previous doctrines. Before God could provide eternal salvation to anyone, He had to pay the ransom required to release the sinner from his sins. GOD COULD NOT DECREE SALVATION UNTO MAN, HE HAD TO BUY IT!

A. Why Man Needs Redemption

1. Another result of Adam eating from the tree of knowledge is that he, in effect, sold himself to sin. He knew that his disobedience would bring death (1Tim. 2:14), but he decided that he would rather die with Eve than live with God. As mentioned before, Adam's sin did not only affect him, it also affected all of his descendants (see IMPUTATION). The sinful nature he got when he ate is passed on to all humanity. Therefore, every person on earth is hopelessly bound to sin (as well as to its fatherâ€â€Satan, John 8:44); and unless he is redeemed by someone who is not bound to it, he will die and spend eternity in Hell paying for his sins himself!

2. God saw man's pitiful condition and according to His great love and grace devised a redemption plan to buy him back from his iniquity (Titus 2:14). The climax of this plan was the sending of His Son to earth to give His life (blood) as the ransom (Matt. 20:28). This is the main reason "the Word" became flesh (John 1:1-3). If Jesus came to earth but failed to die a redemptive death, His whole ministry would have been in vain. No matter what else He may have done (healings, miracles, etc.) man would still be in his sins, under a curse, and bound for Hell (Gal. 3:10-13).

3. That God would go to such great lengths to redeem His enemy (Rom. 5:8-10!) shows the extent of the love and compassion He has for him. Christ is the Giver and the Gift, the Offerer and the Offering, the Redeemer and the Redemption. Only through Him can a person be freed from his bondage to sin and death, for He alone can provide redemption (Acts 4:12).

B. The Actual Price Of Redemption

For something to be redeemed a specific price has to be paid, and the price to redeem the sinner is blood. According to Lev. 17:11, "The life of the flesh is in the blood...it is the blood that maketh atonement for the soul." So blood not only represents life, it is actually physical life itself. Before God would accept an animal sacrifice in the Old Testament, a priest had to apply it's blood on an altar in behalf of the offerer. The death of the sacrifice alone could not atone for the offerer's sins. The priest must apply its blood to complete the redemption. Again, the Old Testament sacrifices could not take away sin (see Propitiation). The shedding and application of animal blood which the Old Testament so vividly describes is only a picture of Christ's blood which can take it away (Heb. 10:19).

2. The blood of Christ can redeem sinners for at least three reasons:

a. It does not have any taint of sin in it. The Lord did not inherit a sinful nature from Adam as everyone else because a person's nature comes from his father. Since God is Christ's father, He has His nature (Matt. 1:23; Luke 1:35). Of course, Mary, His mother descended from Adam, but this does not affect Christ in this respect.

b. Adam's sin corrupted his blood and caused his death. The last Adam (Christ) knew no sin; His blood is incorruptible (1Pet. 1:18-19).

c. The blood that flowed through His veins was His Father's (Acts 20:28), and since He is God manifest in the flesh, is could be no less (1Tim. 3:16).

C. The Application Of The Blood

1. Since God is a spiritual and eternal being, His blood has a spiritual and eternal application to the believer. There is more to Christ's blood than the physical components that were seen at the crucifixion, for it still exists and is available to all, but it is only applied to those who receive Him. You cannot get Christ's blood without getting Him, they are inseparable.

2. The moment a person believes on Christ, Christ literally washes him from his sins with His blood (Rev. 1:5), cleansing his soul from all sin (1John 1:7), and supplying him with an eternal redemption (Rom. 3:24; Heb. 9:12). Furthermore, through Christ's redemption the saint has been completely freed from the curse of the law (Gal. 3:13), from all iniquity (Titus 2:14), and from his vain life (1Pet. 1:18).

3. In summary, the precious blood of Christ did (and does) the following:

a. Purchased the Church (Acts 20:28)
b. Brought justification (Rom. 5:9)
c. Brought reconciliation (Col. 1:20)
d. Brought propitiation (Rom. 3:24)
e. Brought sanctification (Heb. 13:12)
f. Brought redemption (Rom. 3:24)
g. Washes the believer (Rev. 1:5)
h. Cleanses the believer (1John 1:7)
i. Makes the believer nigh (Eph. 2:13)
j. Gives the believer peace (Col. 1:20)

4. The two ordinances of the church also speak of Christ's redemptive work. The first, baptism, shows His death to sin and the believer's identification with Him. The broken bread of the second, the Lord's supper, represents His tortured body, and the fruit of the vine, His shed blood (Matt. 26:26-30; Rom. 6:3-8). God established these ordinances so Christians would not forget the price paid to redeem them.

D. The Believer's Responsibility

1. The believer must remember that since Christ has bought him he is no longer his own. He is not to do what he desires with his body but what his Owner desires. Every Christian is the steward of his own body and God will judge him according to the works he performs in it. It is God's will that he glorify his redeemer with a holy and obedient life (1Cor. 3:11-15, 1Cor. 6:19-20).

bibleberean said:
1. You Need To Be Saved
And, (Psalms 51:1-10) is the very 'MODEL' of how salvation works.

It details the steps needed to be taken.

More Than Forgiven!

A Study Of

By
Timothy S. Morton

http://members.citynet.net/morton/forgiven.htm#Anchor19
Summary Of The Eight Doctrines

1. Regeneration A changed nature. The believer is no longer a child of wrath but is literally born into God's family and given Christ's nature.

2. Adoption A changed position. The believer is no longer a child of the world but is given the position of an adult son in God's family.

3. Justification A changed standing. The believer is no longer a sinner in God's sight because He imputes to his account the righteousness of Jesus Christ.

4. Imputation God put the sins of the world on the account of Jesus Christ, and He puts Christ's righteousness on the account of the believing sinner.

5. Sanctification A changed character. The believer is no longer defiled and unclean but is now separated and holy unto God in Christ Jesus.

6. Reconciliation A changed relationship. The believer is no longer God's enemy but now has peace with Him and is His friend.

7. Propitiation All the wrath of God that was once upon the believer has been appeased by the substitutionary death of Christ.

8. Redemption The death and shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ has bought the believer back from sin.

In conclusion, if the reader only learns one thing from the study of these doctrines it should be that the born again Christian is eternally secure in Jesus Christ. Each doctrine individually proves eternal salvation and collectively the proof is overwhelming. Everything God requires a person to be (righteous, holy, sinless, perfect, etc.) He supplies in the Lord Jesus Christ. It is the believer's union with Christ that makes these virtues his own, so all who are in Him are as secure in their salvation as He is alive!

Nice bible verses I can get from this forum. :) All really godly bible scriptures. yeah. God want us to know that the only way to Heaven is tru him. HIM and no one else.

Jay T said:
bibleberean said:
1. You Need To Be Saved
And, (Psalms 51:1-10) is the very 'MODEL' of how salvation works.

It details the steps needed to be taken.

I love Psalms 51...

In this dispensation we need to do one thing that was not a requirement in the Old Testament...

Acts 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

bibleberean said:
About Salvation and Becoming Born Again

John 3: 3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

John 3: 7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

1 Peter 1: 23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

2 Corinthians 5: 17 Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

This is what happens to a person that is not born again.

John 8: 24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins.

John 3: 36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

1 John 5: 11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He that hath the Son hath life; [and] he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

The Fate of Those not born again

Revelation 20: 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21: 8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Revelation 14: 10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: 11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

What the Lord Jesus Christ did for us on the cross

Isaiah 53: 5 But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

1 John 1: 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

Romans 5: 8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Steps to being born again

Revelation 3: 20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

John 1: 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Come to Christ by believing the gospel and receive the free gift of eternal life

Acts 16: 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Do not add sacraments, good works or even the law to the gospel or it becomes a false gospel, another gospel and a perverted one.

Galatians 1:3 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,

Galatians 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

Galatians 1:5 To whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Galatians 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Galatians 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Galatians 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

This is the knowledge that saves

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

1 Corinthians 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

1 Corinthians 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Although Satan knows the gospel too he is not saved. He does not love the truth.

People that know the truth but reject it have never been born again...

2 Thessalonians 2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

Embrace the truth and call upon Christ and be saved today.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

You can have eternal life and know it.

1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

1 John 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

1 John 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

1 John 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Do you know where you would go if you died today?

Trust in the finished work of Christ and know!

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

bibleberean said:
A Study Of
New Testament salvation is the same...as the Old Testament. God has never changed the Plan of Salvation from the time of Adam and Eve.
Malachi 3:6 " For I [am] the LORD, I change not"

James 1:17 "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning".

Hebrews 13:8 " Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever".

In conclusion, if the reader only learns one thing from the study of these doctrines it should be that the born again Christian is eternally secure in Jesus Christ.
As long as the conditions are met.

There is no such thing as "Once Saved, Always Saved"...unless a person, stays saved.

King Saul, once was saved ...chose to forfiet his salvation.

Balaam, once a prophet of God, chose to forfeited his standing with God.

Everyone from Adam to Moses to the church to the tribulation will be in the presence of God because of the death, burial and resurrection and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The requirements of salvation are different in the OT and the NT.

No where in the Old Testament was anyone saved by believing the following because it had not taken place yet.

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

1 Corinthians 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

1 Corinthians 15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

In the Old Testament believer looked forward to the coming of Christ and did what God told them.

However they had different requirements than NT believers.

They could not believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross.

God has not changed but His requirements have.

Example Circumcision

Genesis 17:9 And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.

Genesis 17:10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

Genesis 17:11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.

Genesis 17:12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.

Genesis 17:13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.

Genesis 17:14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.

That was God's requirement then.

In the church it is not a requirement.

Galatians 5:3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Galatians 5:5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Galatians 5:6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Today believers are saved by Grace through faith without works.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Ephesians 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galatians 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Galatians 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

trust_faith said:
Nice bible verses I can get from this forum. :) All really godly bible scriptures. yeah. God want us to know that the only way to Heaven is tru him. HIM and no one else.

Amen! :biggrin

Fifty Reasons
Why A Saved Person Can NEVER Be Lost
by

Timothy S. Morton

http://members.citynet.net/morton/50reasns.htm

1. ETERNAL LIFE IS ETERNAL! John 3:15, 10:28, Romans 6:23, 1 John 2:25, 5:11, 5:13, etc.; By definition eternal means never ending. Once a believer has eternal life it can never be taken away. If it could be it would not be eternal!

2. EVERLASTING LIFE IS EVERLASTING! Daniel 12:2; John 3:16, 3:36, 5:24, 6:40, 6:47; Romans 6:22; etc.; Likewise, everlasting life can never end. It is everlasting regardless of the believer’s behavior.

3. IT IS GOD’S WILL! John 6:39; It is God’s will that Christ lose none of those who come to Him.

4. HEAVEN IS RESERVED FOR HIM! 1 Peter 1:4; An inheritance in heaven is reserved for the believer.

5. SALVATION (INHERITANCE) IS INCORRUPTIBLE! 1 Peter 1:4; No one can corrupt something God has made incorruptible.

6. SALVATION (INHERITANCE) CANNOT BE DEFILED! 1 Peter 1:4; No one can defile something which God says cannot be defiled.

7. HE IS SEALED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT! Ephesians 1:13; No power in Heaven or earth can break God’s seal.

8. HE IS SEALED UNTO THE DAY OF REDEMPTION! Ephesians 4:30; The believer is sealed until the day God redeems his body.

9. HOLY SPIRIT WILL ABIDE FOREVER! John 14:16-17; The indwelling of the Holy Spirit is permanent.

10. HE IS PRESERVED FOREVER! Psalm 37:28; God preserves the saint forever.

11. HE IS BORN OF GOD! John 1:12-13 The believer actually becomes God’s child and cannot be “unborn.â€Â

12. HE IS A NEW CREATURE! 2 Corinthians 5:17; God has made the believer a new creature and no one can “uncreate†him.

13. HE IS CREATED IN CHRIST JESUS! Ephesians 2:10; The saint was created in his Saviour.

14. HE IS PRESERVED UNTO THE HEAVENLY KINGDOM! 2 Timothy 4:18; The believer is preserved like Paul since God is no respecter of persons.

15. HE IS KEPT BY THE POWER OF GOD! 1 Peter 1:5; Since God is keeping him, the believer cannot fall from salvation.

16. CHRIST HAS PRAYED FOR HIM! John 17:11; Jesus prayed that God would keep all who He had given Him.

17. WORKS CANNOT AFFECT HIS SALVATION! Romans 11:6; Salvation is not gained by works, so it cannot be lost by works.

18. HIS FAITH IS COUNTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS! Romans 4:5; It is faith which brings salvation to a believer.

19. NOTHING CAN SEPARATE HIM FROM THE LOVE OF CHRIST! Romans 8:38-39; Nothing material, immaterial, past, present, or future can separate a believer from Christ’s love.

20. SALVATION IS OF THE LORD! Jonah 2:9; Salvation is all God’s work. He bought it and provided it.

21. GOD IS ABLE TO KEEP HIM! 2 Timothy 1:12; The believer’s salvation rests on God’s omnipotent ability to keep him.

22. HE IS PROMISED NOT TO COME INTO CONDEMNATION! John 5:24; This promise would be broken if even one believer fell into eternal condemnation.

23. HE IS PROMISED TO NEVER PERISH! John 10:27-28; Every saint has an unconditional promise to never perish.

24. HE WILL NEVER BE CAST OUT! John 6:37; Under no condition will any believer be cast out from Christ or Heaven.

25. ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD TO HIM! Romans 8:28; It would not be good for one to lose his salvation.

26. HE IS IN CHRIST’S HAND! John 10:28; The believer is in his Saviours hand.

27. HE IS IN THE FATHER’S HAND! John 10:29-30; The saint is in his heavenly Father’s hand.

28. HE IS, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, A SHEEP! John 10:27-28; A sheep represents a saved person and cannot change from being one.

29. GOD’S MERCY NEVER ENDS! Titus 3:5; The believer is saved by God’s mercy and it endures forever (Psalm 136).

30. GOD CANNOT LIE! Titus 1:2; Once God has saved a believer, he cannot go back on His word.

31. HIS SINS ARE GONE FOREVER! Psalm 103:12; Micah 7:19; Isaiah 38:17, 44:22; Hebrews 10:17; The saints sins are gone.

32. HE SHALL BE LIKE CHRIST! 1 John 3:2; It is a certainty that the believer will be like Christ.

33. GOD SEES HIM AS ALREADY GLORIFIED! Romans 8:30; The saint is as good as glorified in God’s sight.

34. HE IS BORN OF INCORRUPTIBLE SEED! 1 Peter 1:23; The Christian’s new birth was from incorruptible seed.

35. HE WILL APPEAR WITH CHRIST IN GLORY! Colossians 3:4; The saint is promised to appear with Christ when He returns.

36. HE IS HIDDEN IN CHRIST! Colossians 3:3; The believer is dead to the world and alive in Christ.

37. HE IS DEAD TO AND FREED FROM SIN! Romans 6:2-7; Sin can no longer affect the saint’s destiny. He is freed from it.

38. THE LORD IS NOW PRAYING FOR HIM! Hebrews 7:25; The Lord is presently interceding in the believer’s behalf.

39. GOD WILL FINISH WHAT HE STARTED! Phillipians 1:6; God began the work of salvation and will finish it.

40. HE HAS ETERNAL REDEMPTION! Hebrews 9:12; Every believer has been eternally redeemed from his sins.

41. HIS LIFE IS CHRIST’S LIFE! Colossians 3:4; The saints life is Christ’s very own life, so how could it be lost?

42. HE HAS AN EVERLASTING COVENANT WITH GOD! Hebrews 13:20; God made a covenant to give the saint
everlasting life.

43. HE IS KEPT FROM FALLING BY CHRIST! Jude 24; A Christian cannot fall from grace because Christ is keeping him.

44. SALVATION IS A FREE GIFT! Romans 6:23; A free gift is given with no conditions.

45. HE HAS IMPUTED RIGHTEOUSNESS! Romans 4:6-7; The righteousness the saint has is Christ’s perfect righteousness.

46. HE IS A PART OF CHRIST! Ephesians 5:30; Every believer is a part of Christ’s body. “Bone of His bone....â€Â

47. CHRIST IS THE AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF HIS SALVATION! Hebrews 12:2; Christ began and will finish his salvation.

48. HE HAS BEEN PREDESTINATED TO BE CONFORMED TO CHRIST’S IMAGE! Romans 8:29; After salvation the believer is predestinated.

49. CHRIST’S BLOOD HAS MADE PEACE FOR HIM! Colossians 1:20; The saint has peace with God through the blood.

50. THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN SO HE COULD BELIEVE AND KNOW! 1 John 5:13; The saint can know he HAS ETERNAL SALVATION!

bibleberean said:
Fifty Reasons
Why A Saved Person Can NEVER Be Lost
This is true.....IF....a person truely understands what Salvation is.

Yet, the modern Christian world.....merely echo the words, found in Genesis 3:4
"And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die"

It is amazing that very, very, few see ...the attitude behind the phrase: Once Saved, Always Saved"....is merely a variation of, "Ye shall not surely die"

(One of many Bible articles on the "Wielding the Sword of the Spirit" web site at http://www.matthewmcgee.org)

Roman Road to Salvation
The Gospel of Grace

(revealed by our Lord Jesus Christ to our Apostle Paul)

Many people think they will go to heaven because they have lived a good life. Perhaps, they treat all of their neighbors fairly. Maybe they volunteer for charity work and have never broken the law. Maybe they were even baptized or go to church regularly. But the Bible, God's Word, says that no one can live up to God's standard of righteousness.

Romans 3:10 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one ...."

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God ...."

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Salvation cannot be earned. Everyone is a sinner and deserves death, but God gives eternal life. So how can we receive God's gift of eternal life?

Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth ...."

To be saved, we must believe the gospel. The word "gospel" means "good news". But before we can believe the good news, we have to know what it is.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel ... that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures ...."

This is the gospel which we must believe in order to be saved. Now, how does believing this gospel save us?

Romans 5:8-9 "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him."

Romans 3:22-26 "Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation (appeasing sacrifice) through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus."

We can be saved from the wrath of God, because Jesus Christ, the Son of God, died on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins and rose from the dead. He paid the price for us, and we are justified in God's eyes through our faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works lest any man should boast."

There will be no boasting in heaven. We cannot be saved by our own righteousness, but only by God's grace, through faith.

Ephesians 1:13-14 "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory."

Once we believe the gospel, we are sealed with God's Holy Spirit. This is God's deposit, that guarantees he will redeem us, whom our Lord Jesus Christ "purchased with his own blood" (Acts 20:28).

Studying the Bible is an essential part of the growth of every believer. New believers should begin by reading the letters of our Apostle Paul (Romans 11:13), starting with Romans and then continuing through all of Paul's letters. Also, reading The Basics of Understanding the Bible would be helpful.

bibleberean said:
Also, reading The Basics of Understanding the Bible would be helpful.
This Bible verse should be memorized, as it is the very 'model' of how salvation works:
Psalms 51........" Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
51:2 Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
51:3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin [is] ever before me.
51:4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done [this] evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, [and] be clear when thou judgest.
51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.
51:6 Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden [part] thou shalt make me to know wisdom.
51:7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
51:8 Make me to hear joy and gladness; [that] the bones [which] thou hast broken may rejoice.
51:9 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me".

Also the 10 commandments must be memorized (Exodus 20:3-17)........

Eccles. 12:13 "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man".
12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether [it be] good, or whether [it be] evil".

The price for sin must be paid

We have sinned against a just God.

The Bible says, "As it is written, THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NO, NOT ONE:" Romans 3:10. The reason for this, the Bible says, "For ALL HAVE SINNED, and come short of the glory of God;" Romans 3:23. The price for sin must be paid.

DEATH is the price to be paid.

The Bible says, "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and DEATH BY SIN; and so DEATH passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:" Romans 5:12.

The Bible also says, "For the WAGES of sin is DEATH;" Romans 6:23a.

Therefore because of our sin, we must receive the wages, or payment due for it, which is DEATH.

But this death is more than just physical death. You will be paying the debt for sin all through eternity! The Bible says, "And DEATH and hell were cast into the LAKE OF FIRE." Revelation 20:14.

Jesus died in our place and paid for our debt

Thank God for His love for you, that HE has paid YOUR DEBT! The Bible says, "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, CHRIST DIED FOR US." Romans 5:8. It was YOUR DEBT. YOU were responsible for its payment. But JESUS CHRIST died on the cross and shed HIS BLOOD to pay for YOUR DEBT of sin!

The Bible says, "In whom we have redemption THROUGH HIS BLOOD, even the forgiveness of sins:" Colossians 1:14.

Out of His love and mercy JESUS PAID for our sins!

Just before He died He said so. "IT IS FINISHED: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." John 19:30b.

But Jesus Christ didn't stay dead! He arose, proving He was God, and that HIS PAYMENT for YOUR DEBT of sin, was GOOD FOR ALL OF ETERNITY! The Bible says, "Wherefore HE is able also to save them TO THE UTTERMOST that come unto God by him, seeing HE EVER LIVETH to make intercession for them." Hebrews 7:25.

BUT "YOU MUST CLAIM" THE PAID DEBT FOR YOURSELF.

Jesus Christ died to pay the DEBT OF SIN for everyone, but not everyone has claimed the payment. Have YOU?

You claim HIS PAYMENT for YOUR DEBT by faith. Faith is COMPLETE trust in someone.

In order to be saved from having to pay your own debt, by burning forever in the lake of fire, you must "completely trust Jesus Christ and the payment HE MADE on the cross.

The Bible says, "For God so loved the world, that he gave HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, that whosoever BELIEVETH IN HIM should not perish, but have EVERLASTING LIFE." John 3:16. If you believe with all your heart that Jesus Christ paid for YOUR DEBT OF SIN, and can by Himself, get you to heaven, what you need to do is ask Jesus Christ to save you. The Bible says, "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord SHALL BE SAVED." Romans 10:13.

bibleberean said:
The Gospel

From the Website of Thomas and Sandra Hooper

http://www.baptistlink.com/dividingword/

What you are about to read may change your life forever.

I have a question for you. How perfect do you think you must be to get into heaven? What if I told you that you had to be perfect like God? Believe it or not, that is what the Bible teaches. God is completely holy. Since God is completely holy, how could God accept us into His presence unless we are holy as He is?

Here is our problem. We know we are not perfect, but rather, sinners. The Bible says, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

I would like to bring up the struggles a certain man had in his day. We would have to admire the struggles this gentleman had to attain salvation. His name was Martin Luther.

Martin Luther entered the Catholic Priesthood for one reason, and that was to save his soul. We must understand that in Martin's time, the doctrine of salvation was confusing on many points. They taught in those days that a person had to be perfect if he wanted to go to heaven. Although it was confusing, the fact is, they were correct that one must be perfect to enter into heaven.

Martin entered the monastery with the hopes that he could make himself perfect. He would do things like sleep in his cold cell without blankets. He would spend time begging, and there were times he went many days without food, just to mortify the flesh. But Martin found no comfort for his struggles.

Another thing Martin did was go to confession. He found little hope there too. He would spend as much as six hours a day in confession, going over all the things he did. One day his confessor got so exasperated with Martin. He told Martin that the next time he came to confession, that it not be over these little sins, but for things like murder or idolatry, but not for little sins. But Martin, being a better theologian in his day, knew the issue was not whether the sin was big or little, but whether or not it had been confessed, because he knew that just one small sin could banish us from God forever! He reached an impasse because he knew that in order for sins to be forgiven, they had to be confessed, and for them to be confessed, they had to be remembered, and if they could not be remembered, they could not be confessed and therefore they could not be forgiven! He was in despair. But think about this for a moment. Even if Martin confessed all his sins, he still had tomorrow to face and more sins!

One day Martin's confessor said to him, "Why don't you teach the Bible?" So Martin began to lecture on the Psalms and came to 22:1 where it says, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Martin contemplated on that verse and wondered why Jesus experienced the despair of soul, the kind of agony Martin was experiencing. It began to dawn on Martin that Jesus experienced that because He died on the cross for sinners.

Then Martin began to lecture on the book of Romans, and came to Romans 1:6 where it states, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth;" and another, "For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith (Romans 1:17 ). Martin hated the phrase the righteousness of God. He said what gave him terror was because he was such a great sinner and God was righteous, that was the problem. But as he studied the text, he began to see the connection between the phrase "the righteous of God" as revealed in the Gospel, and the phrase "the just shall live by faith." Then Martin realized there are two ways to look at the righteousness of God.

The righteousness that God has as an attribute as being God.

The righteousness which God gives to those who believe in Christ.

As Martin continued his lectures on the book of Romans, he came to chapter 3. "That all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." He also pondered Romans 3:24, "Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:"

And then as Martin began to look at the life of Abraham in Romans chapter 4, he began to discover that justified is not God making us righteous day by day so that we can enter into heaven, but justification means that God declares us to be as righteous as Christ Himself is. It's a legal declaration that God makes about us.

Now, before we put this all in perspective, let's look at what 2 Corinthians 5:21 says, "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."

What that verse actually means is that when Jesus Christ died on the cross, our sins were credited to Him. He took our sins, and in exchange He gives us His righteousness. Look at the picture just below and you will see how the transfer works.

Tract_Page_10_What_He_Did_GIF.gif

Righteousness refers to the perfections of God, and He gives that to us, and He gives that to us as a FREE GIFT. What it actually boils down to is that Jesus got what He did not deserve, our sin, and we get what we don't deserve, His righteousness.

The Bible says, "But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification" (Romans 4:24,25).

So justification doesn't simply mean, "Just as if I never sinned," it means more than that. It means just as if I lived a complete life of obedience and holiness. This is only because Jesus Christ is my substitute, and He meets all the requirements of God's requirements for me.

So please understand, we are not saved on the basis of our merit, that is, anything good we have done, but the basis of Christ's perfect merit, accepted by God the Father.

We can say several things about the righteousness of God, which is a theme in the Scriptures. It is a righteousness that is entirely different from ours.

1) Paul said he wanted to be found in Christ, not having his own righteousness, but the righteousness of Christ. It's a righteousness which we have none. We make no contribution, all we can do is receive the gift. So when you think about it, righteousness has to be a free gift. We can't attain it ourselves.

There are people who have sinned greatly, so much so, that they have ruined the lives of strangers and loved ones, and they ask, "Is there any way I can be forgiven?" Yes, there is.

Remember that picture above? When you believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, a transaction takes place. God is crediting to you what you don't deserve, and therefore it is a "free gift." Remember, Jesus got what He didn't deserve, our sin, and we get what we don't deserve, His righteousness.

So, can God really forgive you? You just need to know that the righteousness that God gives is a gift of righteousness. That righteousness covers me and that same righteousness can cover you. It can be credited to your account even though you have sinned greatly, because the issue is not the greatness of the sin, it's the beauty and the completion of the righteousness.

2) This righteousness is unchangeable. The same righteousness that the apostle Paul received, is the same righteousness that I received, and it's the same righteousness you can receive.

3). The righteousness of God is also a permanent righteousness. Remember how we mentioned earlier about Martin Luther confessing his sins everyday? Although a person may confess his sins everyday, it doesn't mean that person is saved. Confessing sins does not save anyone. Going to church does not save anyone. When you accept Jesus Christ as your "sin bearer," that gift of righteousness is strong enough and powerful enough and permanent enough to take you all the way to heaven. There's no need for a Catholic to believe in purgatory (a place that doesn't exist anyway), a place where it is believed that a person is made perfect enough to enter into heaven. There's no need to think you can mortify your body, no need to do good works in order to make you perfect so you can enter into heaven. No my friends, these things will not work. The Good News of the Gospel is that when you place your trust in Jesus Christ, God credits you with His righteousness, and you are made perfect enough to right NOW enter into heaven.

Look at it this way. Imagine two trails. One is beautiful because great care has been taken to keep it beautiful. The other is full of ruts and very rough. When a blanket of snow falls on those trails, you cannot tell the difference between the two. That is the same way with us. We are clothed in His righteousness. In the Bible God says, "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool" (Isaiah 1:18).

The minute you die, as a believer, you are immediately escorted right into the presence of God because legally you are as perfect as Christ, because you are now clothed in His righteousness, that wonderful gift God gives us.

Paul speaks over a hundred times in the New Testament about the believer being "in Christ." This means that Jesus Christ covers us. We are covered because we are "in Him." We are joined to Christ and we even need not fear death because our confidence is in Him alone. He supplies the righteousness which God demands.

Your entrance into heaven and standing before God will have nothing to do with the good works you have done in the past, but God is going to be looking for the righteousness of Jesus Christ.

Isn't this cause for rejoicing and thankfulness knowing there is nothing we can earn or that we owe God? Yes, we know God wants us to be obedient, for that is part of the Christian life, but as far as our standing before God is concerned, Jesus Christ met all the requirements for us. God made "...him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." The Bible also says, "Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification" (Romans 4:25). That my friend, is the good news of the Gospel!

Can you be forgiven? Yes. The Bible says if you want to be saved, you simply "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." (Acts 16:31)

If you believe what you have read and want to be saved from your sins and have eternal life in the presence of God, I ask you now to bow your head and take a moment to just simply ask Jesus Christ to be your Saviour. Don't worry about fancy prayers, because saying the sinner's prayer will not save you. Don't worry about having to go forward in a church service, because going to the altar will not save you. Don't worry that you have to confess your sins, or turn away from your sins, because confessing and turning from your sins will not save you. Simply place your trust in what Jesus Christ did for you on the cross. When you accept the fact of what He did, you have accepted Jesus.

Once you are saved, you will find that your desires will change. You will have a desire to turn from your sins and do what is right, you will have a desire to read God's word, you will have a desire to have fellowship with other believers. It will be Christ IN YOU Who will give you a new life and new desires.

This is one of my favorite tracts... :biggrin

bibleberean said:
It will be Christ IN YOU Who will give you a new life and new desires[/b].

[/quote]Which will be manisfested in the keeping of all...the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:3-17).
As Jesus said: IF..you love me, keep my commandments", (John 14:15)

pace042.jpg

E. J. Pace Christian Cartoons
(1880-1946)

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

bibleberean said:
pace042.jpg

E. J. Pace Christian Cartoons
(1880-1946)

Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

It is a cool pic. :biggrin

And Pslams 40 is perfect for the picture... :biggrin

Psalm 40
1 I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.

2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.

3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

4 Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back