Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Gen 6:8? “Grace”

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

donadams

Only Jesus Christ: the way, the truth, the life!
Catholicism Overseer
Gen 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

How did Noah find grace since Jn 1:17 says:

17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ!

Thks

Thks
Good question. Context is always the proper course to find the answer.

So them take note the text of Gen 6:5-8
"Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great upon the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was altogether evil all the time. And the LORD regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So the LORD said, “I will blot out man, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—every man and beast and crawling creature and bird of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them.” Noah, however, found favor in the eyes of the LORD.

That means then that Noah finding grace was because he was prepared to find it and not repudiate divine favor by wicked conduct.

When we read Romans 1:18 - 20 we see that same thing.

Noah was excepted from the destruction God stated He wanted to do in verses 1-7 because he himself was an exception to the sinful condition of mankind. Noah was not wicked. He was not corrupt or violent. Like his ancestor Enoch, Noah walked with God. He did not live as a rebel against God.

Where do you get that from?

In modern Hebrew and Yiddish goy is a term for a Gentile, a non-Jew. Through Yiddish the word has been adopted into English also to mean Gentile, sometimes in a pejorative sense. As a word principally used by Jews to describe Gentiles.

One quote that I sent you also the protocols of Zion

A short catechism!

Jn 3:16 ((believe in Christ))
Mk 16:16 Jn 3:5 1 cor 16:13 gal 3:27 ((union with Christ by faith & baptism))
Jn 15:4 ((we must abide in Christ))
1 cor 13:2 (( charity & not by faith alone))
Phil 1:29 ((suffering not by faith alone))
Matt 25 Jn 15:5 phil 4:13 ((grace vivifies our works to be meritorious and salutary))
Matt 24:13 ((endure to the end to be saved))
Jn 5:29 ((good unto life & evil unto death))
Romans 8:17 2 Tim 2:12 ((glorified with Christ if we suffer with Him))
Rom 2:6 Rev 2: 19 ((reward for good works done in Christ & grace))

What is Herzl?
Are you kidding?
Gentiles are goyim ((cattle))
Pigs & goats

Quote: Theodore Herzel

"Masonic lodges are established all over the world to help us achieve our independence. Those pigs, the non- Jewish Masons, will never understand the final objects of Masonry." I Theodor Herzel as the founder of (((fake Israel)))​

Or political zionism

Grace is God sharing His life with us

Thanks
Hey All,
I respect your opinion Mr. Adams, my definition goes way beyond just sharing.
Is that the teaching of the Catholic Church?

The most common definition for protestants is "unmerited favor."

We are saved by grace. We do not deserve to be saved. We cannot do anything that warrants salvation.

I view God sharing His life with us as a part of grace after salvation. So I am not completely disagreeing with you. I just believe "grace" goes way beyond just sharing God's life.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Thks
Hey All,
Why does "how" matter?
Grace obviously existed or Noah and his family would not have been saved.

Where faith exists, grace exists.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
I respect your opinion Mr. Adams, my definition goes way beyond just sharing.
Is that the teaching of the Catholic Church?

The most common definition for protestants is "unmerited favor."

We are saved by grace. We do not deserve to be saved. We cannot do anything that warrants salvation.

I view God sharing His life with us as a part of grace after salvation. So I am not completely disagreeing with you. I just believe "grace" goes way beyond just sharing God's life.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
No discussion here I made a thread in the catholic forum Mary is the immaculate conception
We can continue there thanks

Thks

In Genesis 6:8, “grace” may also mean or imply “favor” or most likely “faith.”

Yes, the Mosaic Law was not established during Noah’s time; however, Noah demonstrated great faith and did righteous things such as preaching (2 Peter 2:5) and was obedience to God’s instruction/command to building the ark. Compare Genesis 6:9, 22; 7:1, 5.

In Genesis 6:8, “grace” may also mean or imply “favor” or most likely “faith.”

Yes, the Mosaic Law was not established during Noah’s time; however, Noah demonstrated great faith and did righteous things such as preaching (2 Peter 2:5) and was obedience to God’s instruction/command to building the ark. Compare Genesis 6:9, 22; 7:1, 5.
Hey All,
Grace is specific in the Bible Mark51.
Everyone in the world was destined to be destroyed by flood. Noah, as good as he was, was still not perfect. He deserved to be destroyed as well. But instead, Noah found grace.
Favor is only a partial definition of grace.
Grace is unmerited favor.
Unmerited means without merit, or unearned.
Grace comes from God through faith. Ephesians 2:8-9
There were no righteous things that Noah did that eared grace for him.
God did not owe Noah.
God's grace is always unearned.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Thks

It is good not to further downgrade God’s name, BTW, which was used in Gen.6:8— https://www.catholic.org/bible/book.php?id=1&bible_chapter=6. Putting it as [Lord]—a clear and present danger with Bible versions which don’t put God’s name as a name—fosters the ancient and present heresy of Sabellianism. The KJV, following Tyndale, has [LORD]. That’s not perfect but it’s a start though for many versions is the finish too.

As to the grace which Noah won by his spiritual orientation, it was simply within the spectrum of common grace which has always been the lot of mortal man, and the LXX has the same word as used by John. With Sinai, a new orbit of grace came. And with Yeshua, yet again a new orb of grace came, which when compared to Sinai was as noontime to dawn.

If John had been wooden, then he would also have denied that [any] truth had predated the incarnation! John was not wooden, and indeed the preceding line χαριν αντι χαριτος affirms Sinai grace, though now as chaff to wheat. The most common Septuagint meaning of αντι is replacement/instead of: “From his fullness we have all received, grace in place of grace” (NABRE). Taken thus, John would have contrasted Sinai grace to its replacement new covenant grace. Torah/instruction came with Moses, came by grace (a big OT theme), is good, and is the takeaway from Sinai. By contrast, truth/fulfilment/realisation (αληθεια) came with messiah, came by grace (a big NT theme), is better, and is the takeaway from the gospel.

As D A Carson put it (John (IVP), 1991:134), “v16 is an explanation of v14 (it begins with hoti, ‘for’ or ‘because’): we have seen his glory, John wrote, because from the fulness of his grace and truth we have received grace that replaces the earlier grace—the grace of incarnation, of the Word-made-flesh, of the glory of the son ‘tabernacling’ with us, now replacing the grace of the antecedent but essentially promissory revelation.”

Thks

Grace and faith are imparted to us as a gift when God speaks to us.

Grace is the God given ability to do what we can not do on our own.

Grace is the Holy Spirit; the Spirit of grace.

By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith. Hebrews 11:7

The Spirit of grace empowered and enabled Noah with wisdom, knowledge and understanding to build the Ark, and then to get the animals in it when the time came.

JLB

Hey All,
Grace is specific in the Bible Mark51.
Everyone in the world was destined to be destroyed by flood. Noah, as good as he was, was still not perfect. He deserved to be destroyed as well. But instead, Noah found grace.
Favor is only a partial definition of grace.
Grace is unmerited favor.
Unmerited means without merit, or unearned.
Grace comes from God through faith. Ephesians 2:8-9
There were no righteous things that Noah did that eared grace for him.
God did not owe Noah.
God's grace is always unearned.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Agreed.

He certainly was not perfect in the sense that we use the word today-without sin. Perfect, in this case, has the idea of being upright, living in a close relationship with God.

The word blameless in the Genesis account describing Noah means free from defect, as may be observed in the many passages describing the unblemished animal presented to God (Exod. 12:5; Lev 1:3, 10: 3:1, 6, etc.) . . . Of course, Noah was not free from defect. He was tamim, but not sinless.

Perhaps a word like wholesome or sound or candid would be appropriate when applying this word to people so that some would not interject their own personal opinion of what that means.

Thks

PS: context is king. One could argue that since Israel was told, “Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help” (KJV: Ps.146:3), that we should not trust in Jesus, the son of man. Let’s not be wooden.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back