Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

GERD (acid reflux) freakin sucks

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I actually haven't had any episodes lately despite not having refilled my meds. At most I'll have mild heartburn
That’s great news! Try some sipping vinegar if it gets worse. What I’m finding is the longer I’m off the Medication the less frequent the major episodes occur and when they do pop up (generally because I ate something Spicy) I can add a few antacids to get me by.

I used to have very severe GERD due to a medication I was taking. When the doctor removed the medicine now I just have heartburn now and then. The vinegar does help. I'll have to try adding local honey to it. I drink tea with local honey in it. That is so good.

I used to have very severe GERD due to a medication I was taking. When the doctor removed the medicine now I just have heartburn now and then. The vinegar does help. I'll have to try adding local honey to it. I drink tea with local honey in it. That is so good.
I’m many months out from quitting my medication and I’m doing great! I don’t eat pepperoni pizza anymore lol! But I do watch my diet and each month I just keep getting better and better.

By the way, add ginger paste to your vinager and make sure it has mother in it.

Best to you!

Last year I began waking up in the middle of the night gasping for breath, and sometimes vomiting. Dr said it's acid reflux. Got prescription strength Omeprazole. Fewer episodes. Only got them when I forgot to take the meds for a few days.

Except it seems now that I'm starting to get episodes even when I take my meds. Agh.
I used to have the same problem, but it went away when I quit drinking beer.
Thanks be to God.

evenifigoalone
I feel for you, and long term use of Omeprazole may leave your rear leaking and GI issues that are not any fun…. That’s been my experience anyway. Both issues have went away since stopping Omeprazole.

The very first thing you can do is adjust your diet. No spicy or acidic food. Keep it bland. Oddly, this includes tomatoes. I had tomato soup yesterday and I paid the price…. Not fun. I used to eat 2 clementines a day. I can’t have those anymore either.

For instant relief, try sipping vinegar. It’s like 3.50 at Walmart, but I’m cheap so I make my own. My own is a lot stronger, and a fraction of the cost. Here is how I make it. I am reusing a small sipping vinegar glass container.

1. Apple Cider vinegar with mother. It has to have mother. Again, I bought Walmart brand.
2. A couple tablespoons of honey. I buy unfiltered local honey, but that’s more for seasonal allergies.
3. Ginger paste. Just a squirt. I used just shy of an inch. You can get ginger in paste form in the refrigerated produce section at Walmart.

Shake until fully mixed. Sip as needed but at least once a day if you need it or not. Otherwise, your heartburn will return. I am learning the hard way that daily is needed to prevent heartburn before it starts.

I can tell you this, if your heartburn is bad and you take a sip, it feels like your heartburn elevates 10 fold for just a few seconds. Sometimes it’s like a shot of cheap whiskey. However, give it a few seconds and your heartburn is completely gone. There are other great benifits for sipping vinegar, including maintaining a healthy gut (I don’t know how) and weight loss.

Another thing I use is a bit more speedy. When I was weaning off Omeprazole I took this product 4 times a day. Now I take it every other day. It costs $17 a bottle. It will last about 2 weeks using it 4 times a day.

View attachment 14215
What is "mother"?

I’m many months out from quitting my medication and I’m doing great! I don’t eat pepperoni pizza anymore lol! But I do watch my diet and each month I just keep getting better and better.

By the way, add ginger paste to your vinager and make sure it has mother in it.

Best to you!
Exactly what is 'mother'.

The book is called "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Frank & Phyllis Balch.

I got my replacement copy (don't loan it out!) for 4 bucks on Amazon (used).

It goes through lots of foods, all vitamins, all herbs and a lot of disorders. There is an entry for Acidosis. Has a list of acid forming foods and akalaine forming foods, which foods to stay away from. which ones to eat. Which herbs and vitamins to take, which OTC remedies to take. and on and on...

Soda is on the list. I would think that, the worse your symptoms are, the more you want to do (more of) what the book says. Your symptoms sounds very bad.

It's worth the 5 bucks for the book. The book is so good, that when it did not come back to me from loaning it out...I replaced it, quickly. That book did not become the one that, I used to have that book but no more, I loaned it out.

There is a huge list of acid forming foods. I hope you can still eat with the book's diet for acidosis! At first glance it sort of looks like, avoid food altogether, lol. Not really, but it is a big list.

Hi there. I'm considering buying this book based on your recommendation. Is there anything about Tinnitus in it? Man o man . . . my Tinnitus is outrageous.

Thanks!

Wow. I had no idea that Gerd could take a person's life. So sorry to hear that.
Yes. He was a fine believer and good keyboard player. He was also obese and slept in a recliner chair. One morning his wife found him passed away. The autopsy found that the acid had come up and swelled his throat closed; and he could not breathe.

Yes. He was a fine believer and good keyboard player. He was also obese and slept in a recliner chair. One morning his wife found him passed away. The autopsy found that the acid had come up and swelled his throat closed; and he could not breathe.

Incredible. I hope the Lord extended His Grace and Mercy to this man.

You’ll have to go done the vinegar aisle lol! To me it looks like it’s simply unfiltered. You want to shake it up for sure. It looks kinda gross imo
Okay, that the stuff that I drank in 8 ounces last night for heartburn from eating out. Boy does it work! Snuffed the heartburn out. I buy the unfiltered looking stuff because that is what my sister said to get. It actually tastes good to me in water.

"What Does “with Mother” mean in Vinegar?

“With mother” means that the vinegar mother has not been filtered out, nor has some of the food residue, from the food that produced the vinegar.

The vinegar mother is composed of acetic acid bacteria (AAB), types of live microorganisms, also known as probiotics. Natural (whole) foods carry a variety of nutrients. Moreover, foods decompose and ferment differently, meaning they can chemically alter in diverse ways. Raw vinegar has a wide range of bioactive compounds such as amino acids, other organic acids, organic sugars, and vitamins and minerals, not only from the mother, but from leftover food residue."

What is Mother of Vinegar? The Best, Complete Answers

Okay, that the stuff that I drank in 8 ounces last night for heartburn from eating out. Boy does it work! Snuffed the heartburn out. I buy the unfiltered looking stuff because that is what my sister said to get. It actually tastes good to me in water.
I make my own using apple cider vinegar with mother and I add honey and ginger paste.
I haven’t had to use it in a few weeks! When I first got off the prescription for heart burn, I was sipping multiple times a day.

They say the vinegar is good for weight loss and diabetes too.

Vinegar with “mother” just means it’s not strained. It looks kinda gross…. I have no idea why they call it mother.
Without the "mother" there would be no vinegar, the mother is the good bacteria that is a catalyst that gives rise to the vinegar .

Unpasteurized home squeezed apple cider if left in the fridge long enough will turn into hard cider and then eventually into vinegar .

I have made homemade cider :) .

Back