Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

God the Son from "The Catechism" of the Episcopal

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
+JMJ+

Unfortunately, not all Catholics follow Church teaching.

Fulton Sheen's Warrior said:
+JMJ+

Your churches are failing to be a good shepherds.

+JMJ+

Your churches are failing to be a good shepherds.

Would you give me an example?

Fulton Sheen's Warrior wrote:
+JMJ+

You just admitted it. :roll:

+JMJ+

Your churches are failing to be a good shepherds

Not all Christians follow Scriptural teaching. Is the Bible failing to be a good Shepherd (of sorts)? Not so. It's how it's received.

On the contrary, the Bible is a source of immense wisdom. However, it is not sufficient by itself.

So, whos is supposed to watch over Christ's sheep?

+JMJ+

[quote:bcaea]Your churches are failing to be a good shepherds

Not all Christians follow Scriptural teaching. Is the Bible failing to be a good Shepherd (of sorts)? Not so. It's how it's received.

On the contrary, the Bible is a source of immense wisdom. However, it is not sufficient by itself.

So, whos is supposed to watch over Christ's sheep?[/quote:bcaea]

So are you saying you have so many people come to your church but don't respect your leaders? Sounds like you are very much saying your churches are failing to be a good shepherds to me.

+JMJ+

So are you saying you have so many people come to your church but don't
respect your leaders?

When did I say that? I'm saying that people, in this culture of hedonism refuse to go to Mass, and will not follow Church teaching because their "too hard".

You can hear the truth (even from the greatest preachers) and still reject it.

+JMJ+

So are you saying you have so many people come to your church but don't
respect your leaders?

When did I say that? I'm saying that people, in this culture of hedonism refuse to go to Mass, and will not follow Church teaching because their "too hard".

You can hear the truth (even from the greatest preachers) and still reject it.

In other words, your people are not obedient. It is clearly proving your churches are failing to lead them well.

That's the reality of the situation.

+JMJ+

In other words, your people are not obedient. It is clearly proving your churches are failing to lead them well.

That's the reality of the situation.

You know, gingercat, to an extent I'd have to agree with you. Their are some leaders in the Church that make me grit my teeth and shake my head.

However, the parishes and dioceses that are faithful to the Church,
flourish.

They have many vocations to the priesthood, and many faithful and happy Catholics.

In fact, in many ways it's just like you said;

Jesus says only a few find the truth. If your church or denomination is supported by many, you have to worry and watch out!

The folks that are faithful to the Church are not supported by many, but, they have the truth.

The folks that are faithful to the Church are not supported by many, but, they have the truth.

If they are faithful they will not go to the Catholics. They don't know the Bible. That's why they come to the catholic church. I don't believe the Catholic Church is of the truth, that's why I say this.

wow ginger... i would say that as a Baptist and a bible reader, the more I read, the more Catholic I become. to say that people who convert to the RCC do not know the bible and that why they enter is kinda ignorant and judgemental.

for instance, John 6 uses extremely strong language in when Jesus is telling his disciples to eat his flesh and drink his blood. in greek, the words are phago and trogo. phago means to eat, generally refering to meat. the other places its used in is reference to eating fish. trogo means to literally gnaw. the people murmered about what he was saying, saying "how can this man give us his flesh to eat?" so Jesus swore and oath and then started to use the word trogo and saying to eat his flesh and drink his blood. trogo is NEVER used figuratively.

I would say they enter the Church because they know the bible and believe it even when it sounds odd. and hun, you cant judge an entire church by a couple people in it. the Jehovahs Witness who is trying to convert me keeps telling me that there will be false christians mixed in with the real ones in the church. now, assuming the JWs got it right, that means that there will be false christians in your church. (hes been a JW for 7 years). so, your statements lack credibility and your deductions cant really be supported because they are refuted by members of the sect you are trying to join.

next point... catholics are the largest denomination. yes. we make up 25% of the world. so that leaves 75% of the world that isnt catholic. when you look at it like that, we are very much a minority. and as for the making Jesus into God to make millions? you cannot forget that the Church was fed by the BLOOD of the martyrs. not a small number of early christians died for the faith. not a small number of Catholics have been persecuted for being Catholic. every pope for the first 200 years was martyred. and several after that were martyred. the mafia tried to kill them, kings tried to control them. some took them captive for long periods of time. some died in exile. these popes, had they been in it for the money, probably would not have died for their stance on things. dead men cant enjoy their money.

so guys, you cant just aimlessly bash the Church and follow after your conspiracy theories. and ginger, you cant just say if A=B and D=C then C must =A.

belovedwolfofgod said:
... for instance, John 6 uses extremely strong language in when Jesus is telling his disciples to eat his flesh and drink his blood. in greek, the words are phago and trogo. phago means to eat, generally refering to meat. the other places its used in is reference to eating fish. trogo means to literally gnaw. the people murmered about what he was saying, saying "how can this man give us his flesh to eat?" so Jesus swore and oath and then started to use the word trogo and saying to eat his flesh and drink his blood. trogo is NEVER used figuratively....
:o

... you cannot forget that the Church was fed by the BLOOD of the martyrs. not a small number of early christians died for the faith.
I suppore that is literal also. :-?

pardon me. what i meant was that the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church. def. came out wrong. of course, when i said fed, i didnt say trogo. :wink:

belovedwolfofgod said:
we make up 25% of the world. so that leaves 75% of the world that isnt catholic.

25% of the world is an enormous number dear.

Sothenes said:
A church has the right to govern itself and offer discipline. There are about fourty authors who recorded what God wrote in the Bible and anyone could say that they are man's ideas or man's self promotion. It all starts with authority and if people don't like authority then they won't like the Bible either.

Does the body govern itself when it has not the head? Liking authority isn't the issue I'm referring to, but rather respecting the authority we lay claim to in his name. Jesus IS not was the way.

Sothenes said:
What "we mean" is an honest way to tell other people what the Church believes if they want to become a member and have a Catecism to keep outside, unregenerate and ungodly influences from changing the church.

Fair rationale. I suppose you need a man-made barrier to protect a man-made concept of the Lord's church. Jesus did not deny the unregenerate and ungodly people coming to him - rather He came explicity FOR them.

Sothenes said:
A chatecism is "a series of question put to an individual (such as a political candidate) to elicit their views" and we should put people to the test if they desire to work in the Church. A chatecism is also a useful plumbline for anyone to determine whether the church has a clean bill of health. It leaves a recorded history to tell others what they believed.

I hear your description and it seems rational to my flesh; but my spirit is not hearing the Lord.

Sothenes said:
How can God have a relationship with these people? Easy. They pray to Him and listen to God through the Word of God.

Listen to God? But you have made them dependent on the church who supposes to know who God is; by this very chatecism. Did Jesus not know sufficiently who the Father was; and do we not trust him enough to reveal it?

Sothenes said:
I encourage you to continue with what Jesus taught but if people are going to teach Arianism from the Bible then it isn't what God taught.

Thank you for your encouragement - I need it some days, LOL. I don't mean to discourage you from your purpose either. If God has given you a gift then please use it - but I only say these things for His name's sake.

Teach what Jesus taught with the authority in which Jesus taught. Straying from this leads to unrighteousness...I know as I have strayed for many years beforehand; thinking I had a pretty good handle on what was required for righteousness. :wink:

And who's to say I still don't have a veil over my eyes? But the one thing I do know is the way, the truth and the light, is only through Jesus and what He taught. That's why I keep pointing to him if we say we are teaching in his name.

gingercat said:
I have been lisetening to Psalms tape 9-12 and it is very clear to me that the Psalmist is talking about God the Father and Jesus is the right hand of Him.

We should not trust RCC's interpretations: It is accomodating pagan religion.

When is the last time you read the NT thoroghly from beggining to end without your theologeans help (Psalms tape 9-12)?

gingercat said:
belovedwolfofgod said:
we make up 25% of the world. so that leaves 75% of the world that isnt catholic.

25% of the world is an enormous number dear.

And I see by some reckoning that Muslims account for 25% of the world's population too. You know truth is not determined by strength of numbers.

But here is truth. Strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Sothenes said:
gingercat said:
I have been lisetening to Psalms tape 9-12 and it is very clear to me that the Psalmist is talking about God the Father and Jesus is the right hand of Him.

We should not trust RCC's interpretations: It is accomodating pagan religion.

When is the last time you read the NT thoroghly from beggining to end without your theologeans help (Psalms tape 9-12)?

I don't follow theologeans interpretation: Trinitarians follow your churches Bible study guide. I have attended First Baptist church(I was a member for a while) and independent Baptist church too.

gingercat said:
I don't follow theologeans interpretation: Trinitarians follow your churches Bible study guide. I have attended First Baptist church(I was a member for a while) and independent Baptist church too.

And what is the name of my church's Bible study guide?

Back