Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[_ Old Earth _] God vs. science: Can religion stand up to the test?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Could it be that some things God doesn't want to tell us, therefore we get to our own opinion, assuming that as the Spirit is in us that opinion is from God when it is not. Therefore it is our problem, the Holy Spirit/God is not lying at all we are just failing to aknowledge that He is quiet over this matter.

For example (from Philip Yancey I think, can't remember though): if God had directly said in the Bible all children under 5 will definetly be in heaven no matter what, then dont you think over history some nutter would have taken it on themselves to kill all un chrsitian children under the age of 5 to garantee their salvation?

So maybe we are just not meant to know and have made the wrong interpretation that all our opinions, as Christians, are of God (they are not)

The reason that different people come to different conclusions as to what God meant is because (1) If they are saved, but they are not relying on the Holy Spirit for interpretation but relying on their own limited knowledge. (2) They don't know Jesus Christ, and therefore don't have His Holy Spirit. or (3) God has chosen NOT to reveal the truth of certain scripture at this time, and so people use their own limited ability to interpret and often get it wrong.

dancing queen said:
Could it be that some things God doesn't want to tell us, therefore we get to our own opinion, assuming that as the Spirit is in us that opinion is from God when it is not. Therefore it is our problem, the Holy Spirit/God is not lying at all we are just failing to aknowledge that He is quiet over this matter.

For example (from Philip Yancey I think, can't remember though): if God had directly said in the Bible all children under 5 will definetly be in heaven no matter what, then dont you think over history some nutter would have taken it on themselves to kill all un chrsitian children under the age of 5 to garantee their salvation?

So maybe we are just not meant to know and have made the wrong interpretation that all our opinions, as Christians, are of God (they are not)

Hi Dancing queen
(and fellow member of the Commonwealth)

For sure 'there are truths I am not ready or able to bear at the moment' and they are hidden from me. And there are truths about this world that I need never know in this life. In these things we can trust the Lord.

In Christ: Stranger

Jon-Marc said:
The reason that different people come to different conclusions as to what God meant is because (1) If they are saved, but they are not relying on the Holy Spirit for interpretation but relying on their own limited knowledge. (2) They don't know Jesus Christ, and therefore don't have His Holy Spirit. or (3) God has chosen NOT to reveal the truth of certain scripture at this time, and so people use their own limited ability to interpret and often get it wrong.

Hi Jon-Marc,

I agree with these . . why Christians disagree on so many things!

In Christ: Stranger

Jon-Marc said:
Yes. of course, I include myself. Surprised? You thought I would deny that? I'm not that pious or self-righteous. One thing I've learned in my 60 years is that I know very little. Yes, I have been guilty of questioning God and His methods. I've even been guilty of trying to tell Him how to do things and how I would have done it. However, God is all-knowing, and I'm not.
I respect you for saying that' and I have done the same thing. But it is not wrong to question God if you don't know why He did something. And if He does not want you to know. You won't.

The very same should be said of evolution. Want to learn ONLY evolution and not be exposed to any other scientific considerations, then attend a private atheist institution.

Um, why not just require that neither atheism nor religion is promoted as true at any public institution. That's the rule in place now,and it works very well.

If you do not wish to see other students praying or hear any reference with concern for the logic or reasoning for a CREATOR, then once again go attend some school for atheists.

Students can pray in public school now. Students can declare that there is no God in public school now. They can do these things freely, so long as they don't interfer with other people, or disrupt school activities. Oh, and they can't be sponsored by the school, or some other group designated by the school.

Sounds fair to me.

Want an abortion because you hate babies or feel confused, go to a state that allows it and pay for it yourself.

Presently, all states must permit it, because it is the law of the land. Probably will be for some time to come.

Want research with concern to stem cells, use those that happen from miscarriages and are the result of accidents.

Apparently, that's not the law right now. It bothers me, too.

Abortion is different, because another party is involved in the situation.

Barbarian on abortion as a moral issue:
Abortion is different, because another party is involved in the situation.

But what if it helps the upward "evolution" of mankind.

There is no up or down in evolution. That's another one of those stories they told you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back