Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

God's Kingdom

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yes, that was the intent of the question. Have your personal experiences been beneficial? Do you generally choose the right thing to do or say. Or not. Right to me means choosing to do or say the right thing regardless of how convenient or problematic that decision is.

Hey All,
Let's get back on topic

"So how have you sought righteousness in your life?" Quote from NoahK

Answer: By getting to know the only One who is perfect in His righteousness.

How do you do that?
By reading His word.
By prayer.
By listening to God's Word with ears that have been opened.

1 Corinthians 1:30-31 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

We are His.
There is a relationship with Jesus.
Through this relationship, Jesus imparts His righteousness upon us .
We are made righteous through our belief in Jesus.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Yes. Reading, listening, hearing are important. But of no effect if what you read, hear, etc. isn't acted on by us. Thanks for your reply and keeping to the topic.

There's nowhere anyone can go outside of Gods' Kingdom because He owns everything,

all the world is mine and everything in it.
Psa.50:12 NLT

So thanks is appropriate. 🙂
Thanks for your post. I wish more people in this world would understand who the real landlord is :) Particularly those who seem to think they can buy it all.

Does anyone here believe that if we as Christian’s confess our sins He (God) will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness ?

I do.

If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

JLB
Then we can say we have so sin !

Finding the righteousness of God is a wonderful thing !

Christ tells us to seek first the kingdom of heaven (a kingdom of righteousness). So how have you sought righteousness in your life?
Yes. Sought and found. The righteousness of God is a good thing. Some are ignorant of it. All seeking of it should arrive at Christ and thereafter abide in Him.

Rom 10:1-4 Brothers, truly my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is for it to be saved. (2) For I bear record to them that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. (3) For they, being ignorant of God's righteousness and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves to the righteousness of God. (4) For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness for everyone who believes.

Thanks for your post. I wish more people in this world would understand who the real landlord is :) Particularly those who seem to think they can buy it all.
Yes. Jesus said it has been willed by God to His children who are meek, peace makers. It can't be bought, or taken by force.
I wish more people in the world would understand our Saviors' restraint is far from weakness.

Yes sir.

If we confess our sin, and He forgives our sin, and cleanses us from all unrighteousness, then at that point we have no sin.
I am sure glad you can finally see that !
Many can honestly say they have no sin.
But, it is contingent on a continued walk in God who is the light of 1 John 1.
It is those who walk in darkness who can never say they have no sin.

I don't know. John wrote: If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

I don't read any qualifiers listed in that statement that would infer that there are some who can claim to be without sin.

Personally, I don't think I'd want to proclaim to someone that I was without sin, if the consequence of that proclamation is that I am then admitting to the hearer that I am not then holding to truth. Is there some other place within the Scriptures where we can find something that negates John's words here?

God bless,
Ted

Hey All,
That is not quite what John wrote.

1 John 1:6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:

Those who walk in darkness, falsely professing a relationship with Jesus, lie.

But John also said:

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If we, we as in John included, say we have no sin, that is also self deception. We lie to ourselves and the truth is not in us.

So, I ask you Hopeful 2, how is your declaration of "no sin" not a self deception?

Based upon John's teachings here, if you declare yourself to have "no sin," you are lying to yourself and subsequently to the rest of us.

As long as we are new creatures within our sinful flesh, the struggle Paul talks about in Romans will continue.

John is not denying that struggle in his letter.

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

John does not want us to sin.
But recognizes that we, even as believers, will sin occasionally.
Sometimes we will lose the struggle.
And John tells us what to do when we do sin.

One final note, when Jesus taught the Lord's prayer, did He say don't worry about sin because you have no sin?

Or did Jesus say " . . . forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." Matt 6:12

Our model prayer recognizes our need for continuing forgiveness.
We get that by asking for it.

I believe God left us in these sinful flesh envelopes so that we never take God's grace for granted.

So I try to do two things every day.
Thank God for my life.
And ask for forgiveness.

As long as I do those two things, I have my joy.

1 John 1:4 And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.

That is what works for me.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

I don't know. John wrote: If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

I don't read any qualifiers listed in that statement that would infer that there are some who can claim to be without sin.

Personally, I don't think I'd want to proclaim to someone that I was without sin, if the consequence of that proclamation is that I am then admitting to the hearer that I am not then holding to truth. Is there some other place within the Scriptures where we can find something that negates John's words here?

God bless,
Ted
The Church of the Nazarene identifies with so-called Wesleyan Holiness, and has Entire Sanctification as its 10th Article of Faith. Those in the know imagine themselves to be "without sin" following their "second blessing" also known as the in-filling of the Holy Spirit, (minus the gifts of the Spirit due to their strong Ceasationist indoctrination).

I was called to serve among these people and they definitely, decidedly, and categorically were not "without sin".

Reactions: JLB

Of course being deceived they continue on in their deception, of deceiving those around them and themselves.

They refuse to confess their sins and be cleansed, clinging to their deceitful doctrine.

The following passage deals with the two categories of people on earth; The world of unsaved and the Christians. Both are in desperate need of Christ and His blood to cleanse them of sin.

1 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. 2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world. 1 John 2:1-2

JLB

Yes sir.

If we confess our sin, and He forgives our sin, and cleanses us from all unrighteousness, then at that point we have no sin.
I John 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

Something to think about.

I John 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

Something to think about.

I have quoted that scripture here hundreds of times. I have truly thought about it. I confess my sins, even if I don't know if I have sinned, I know my flesh contains sin and will continue to do so until resurrected from the dead.

My job is to stay filled with the Spirit and reign in dominion over the sin in my flesh.

For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. Romans 8:13

By the Spirit put to death the deeds of the flesh by sowing to the Spirit. Investing my time towards the things of the Spirit rather than the word or the lustful desires of the flesh.

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.
Galatians 6:7-8

So people have been taught this is a one time thing done at water baptism, and so they continue to believe they are sinless.

It's a daily walk. Picking up the cross is a daily activity. Being filled and led by the Spirit is daily.

JLB

I have quoted that scripture here hundreds of times. I have truly thought about it. I confess my sins, even if I don't know if I have sinned, I know my flesh contains sin and will continue to do so until resurrected from the dead.

My job is to stay filled with the Spirit and reign in dominion over the sin in my flesh.

For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. Romans 8:13

By the Spirit put to death the deeds of the flesh by sowing to the Spirit. Investing my time towards the things of the Spirit rather than the word or the lustful desires of the flesh.

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.
Galatians 6:7-8

So people have been taught this is a one time thing done at water baptism, and so they continue to believe they are sinless.

It's a daily walk. Picking up the cross is a daily activity. Being filled and led by the Spirit is daily.

JLB
Next Sunday I'm playing "Just A Closer Walk", so I get it. Thanks for your post. It helps me to understand I'm not alone in this matter.

Reactions: JLB
The Church of the Nazarene identifies with so-called Wesleyan Holiness, and has Entire Sanctification as its 10th Article of Faith. Those in the know imagine themselves to be "without sin" following their "second blessing" also known as the in-filling of the Holy Spirit, (minus the gifts of the Spirit due to their strong Ceasationist indoctrination).

I was called to serve among these people and they definitely, decidedly, and categorically were not "without sin".
Called to serve? Are you a pastor? Seems the moderators here are very well-versed in Scripture. My experience has been only pastors have that kind of depth of understanding about Scripture is why I asked.

Yo JLB

That's a hearty Amen, brother.

Go
Yes sir.

I agree, but I also know this. God knows our true hearts, so if our confession is not sincere and just going through the motions God knows this and won't just automatically forgive us. The key for me is a sincere confession. That said, I also believe you are 100% sincere.
d bless,
Ted

I don't read any qualifiers listed in that statement that would infer that there are some who can claim to be without sin
The qualifier is verse 5, where John first differentiates between those who walk in darkness and those who walk in the light.
Sure, in fact, lots of verses reference perfect obedience to God.
Here is a sampling of the more than twenty that I keep handy...
“Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin.” (Rom. 6:6-7)
"Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness." (Rom 6:18)
"But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life." (Rom 6:22)
One more..."Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;" (1 Peter 4:1)

Where you baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins ?
If "yes", couldn't you have said you had no sins as you came up out of the water ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back