Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study GUYS TELL ME IF I GOT THIS RIGHT!!!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

julian

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.

LIGHT IS LIFE AND LIFE IS THE WORD AND THE WORD IS JESUS

john 8:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.â€

u see what im saying jesus claims to be the light and the light is the word did i get it right or wrong

You have it right. The Light, and The Word, are just two ways Jesus, and the Father, references Him.

If we go back to creation, we see that Jesus was manifest through God's word. "And God said".
We also see that darkness was not created, but God said, "Let there be light".
Was Jesus created? the answer is emphatically NO>

Light is always synonymous with good works. And what did God say when he was finished with his creation but, "It is VERY Good". Likewise, darkness was not created. Darkness is the absence of light. If you bring a light into a dark place, it is not consumed by the darkness. No, it disperses the darkness. So we see that darkness is the absence of light.

I enjoy the book of John because it's always contrasting light with darkness....

Jesus also said, John 8:38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.
John 10:32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I showed you from the Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto the Father.

Leviticus 23 is a good example of what sin is. Most of the time we think that sin is active and something we do. However, it's also something that we fail to do. By way of Lev 23 a farmer is to leave the corners of his field as a way for God to provide food to the poor. When a farmer fails to do God's will in this manner, then what remains is darkness. You see, the darkness has always been there. But when you do the will of the Father and leave the corners for the poor, you become a light that shows the goodness of God.

Sin is when we fail to do good and when we fail to do, darkness remains.

Matthew 5:14-16 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

And what does John say of Jesus?
John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
John 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Is it any wonder Jesus says,
john 8:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, John is being literal. The "word" he is referring to is the Hebrew word "eht" which sits between "God" and "created" in Gen 1:1."Eht" is spelled with the first letter aleph and last letter tahv of the Hebrew alphabet. In Greek, it is "alpha and omega." Aleph means "strength" and "tahv" in paleo-Hebrew looks like a cross. Thus the meaning of the combined letters: "the strength of the cross."

This should put the words of Messiah into a different "light" (excuse the pun!) when He told us He is the "first and last" letters of the Hebrew alphabet!

BTW.... the “aleph/tahv”is found in many places of Scripture, yet it is NEVER translated.

I once asked a church elder to explain John 1:9 to me and his response was that the true light is the only light that can illuminate men. Well; that's what he said; and it's a pretty good piece of sophistry; but that's not what the Bible says. John 1:9 doesn't say the true light is the only light that can illuminate men. It says the true light illuminates every man. In other words; it's not that some men get illuminated and some don't: every one of them undergo illumination by the true light; from the first to the last regardless of race, gender, age, ethnicity, skin color, geographic location, social status, education, financial situation, religious preference, political preference, and/or sexual preference.

In other words; the true light spoken of in John 1:9 isn't God's word because if that were correct, then you couldn't say that the true light illuminates "every" man. There was something like 7,056,078,144 people on earth when I composed this message and I can easily guarantee you that a goodly percentage of those 7.1 billion people have never even seen a Bible let alone read one; nor have they ever been visited by missionaries and/or an evangelist; and that's not even counting all the billions of people who have come and gone all over the world in the past thousands and thousands of years who were just as ignorant. No; from the cave man to the space man, every man gets illuminated by the true light at some time in his life by a means other than what most people think.

Buen Camino
/

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back