Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Hawai'i is Different

Yes, it is sad that the homeless rates are high. My husband mentioned to me that some of these people pay a few bucks to live on some of the beaches and don't mind. I hope one day it gets better, though.

It is horrible how America took Hawai'i from it's native people. The Hawaiian language is pretty much a dead language because it became illegal to teach in schools when America took over. Many people there speak the pidgin English/Hawaiian and supposedly this came to be when they couldn't learn or speak Hawaiian. It is only estimated a thousand or so people know it. I have been trying to learn, it is beautiful language that shouldn't be lost.

I suppose each place has it's own issues for it's own reasons.
They have a TV channel dedicated to teaching the Hawai'ian language. I haven't bothered learning it, though I think it is a beautiful language. The way things are going in the Pacific, it might be better to learn Chinese.

It is an all around sad problem. We have a lot of homeless here, too. Their help is so limited. Usually they have their camps in the desert, but law enforcement tends to chase them out from places and some say they are harrassed, but I am not sure to what extent or if it is true. Definitely sad. Some of these people are Veterans and some have Doctorate Degrees. It can happen to anyone.
I believe them when they say they were harassed. In Texas those on disability due to Psycho/emo problems are harassed even if they aren't homeless. We basically abandoned our home and 2/3 of our belongings to move here and get away from it.

Another interesting thing about Hawai'i is the real estate laws. To outright buy a home and have it belong to you, you must purchase it as Fee Simple. They list here homes for sale that really aren't for sale. Those homes are "purchased" as Leaseholds. Mortgages are given out by banks for these leaseholds, but you own nothing when the terms of the loan are met and you paid in full for.......nothing but a roof over your head for the duration of the loan.

daninthelionsden...

I think part of the reason I'm harassed, here in The Bible Belt, is because I cannot work. That and my "treatment providers" of yesteryear have it in for me. true story. I'm apparently "not playing by the rules" and "you should be in a Trailer Park!," etc.

homelessness=ultimate vulnerability. I mean, outside of a state-sponsored place of confinement (jails, prisons, the remaining state mental hospitals...), to be homeless is to be exposed, literally and metaphorically, and...

cast off. A non-entity, a "social problem," in a fast paced, hyper-individualistic, neoliberal world, where the value of a human being is = to his/her assets and ability to engage in the economy. blah.

A man convicted of a rather brutal murder was executed in Texas. He wrote down a brilliant statement as his official "last words," but the powers that be tamed down media coverage, etc.

Capital Punishment--Those who ain't got the capital...get the punishment.

something like that, anyway. blah. :-(

daninthelionsden...

I think part of the reason I'm harassed, here in The Bible Belt, is because I cannot work. That and my "treatment providers" of yesteryear have it in for me. true story. I'm apparently "not playing by the rules" and "you should be in a Trailer Park!," etc.

homelessness=ultimate vulnerability. I mean, outside of a state-sponsored place of confinement (jails, prisons, the remaining state mental hospitals...), to be homeless is to be exposed, literally and metaphorically, and...

cast off. A non-entity, a "social problem," in a fast paced, hyper-individualistic, neoliberal world, where the value of a human being is = to his/her assets and ability to engage in the economy. blah.

A man convicted of a rather brutal murder was executed in Texas. He wrote down a brilliant statement as his official "last words," but the powers that be tamed down media coverage, etc.

Capital Punishment--Those who ain't got the capital...get the punishment.

something like that, anyway. blah. :-(
Yep, close to the same thing in Texas. We were having several cars jumping out in front of us in traffic. Almost every car had a 100 Club sticker on them. 100 Club is a non-profit run for the benefit of cops' families. Most members are cops, cop families and friends of cops. Basically the Episcopal Church sicked the Houston copmafia on us. We had to put dashcams in the cars to back them off. My retorical open question was/is "What do you clowns want? Me deconstructed until I'm homeless under a bridge? Then what?" I know what would happen then.....hospital then body bag.

-eek-

my situation is somewhat...more tolerable, I suppose. a lot of what i went thru w/ mental health, inc. and friends was because i was a rebellious brat and my parents were then (to quote the townies, btw) "rinky dink middle-class." OK, fine.

My parents are -not- rich, now, but they're...I dunno...affluent-ish enough that, now that The Lord has willed a reconciliation and all...

I have a --much needed-- buffer, of sorts. I think I'm more than likely far, far better off here, close to my parents, living a somewhat autonomous life (my own place, etc.), than I would be trying to build a life somewhere else...

and when I did live out of state, the psych junk, etc. somehow followed me, making it impossible for me to make a go of things there. :-(

but...God is Good. God is Love. And...He is merciful. No one's assaulted me or anything, since I moved back to the old stompin' grounds. I got saved here, now I'm solidly a part of the "family unit," and...and...

the war on the poor, disabled, sick, and weak should be stopped. one would think that Christians would be leading the charge for a more humane, liveable society.

We had to move and since New Zealand was not a viable option at the time, we chose Hawai'i. I have no need of visas, passports, blah, blah, blah red tape. We have only lived here for 4 months.

Wow, that's interesting. Have you tried and yummy Hawai'ian cuisine? I love manapua, kalua pua'a, and Spam musubi is great, too! I could use some manapua right now -drools-.

Wow, that's interesting. Have you tried and yummy Hawai'ian cuisine? I love manapua, kalua pua'a, and Spam musubi is great, too! I could use some manapua right now -drools-.
Nope. We haven't tried any of the local cuisine as of yet, though we sure plan to. There is a song I love to play over and over called Hawai'i by Ana Vee.

Nope. We haven't tried any of the local cuisine as of yet, though we sure plan to. There is a song I love to play over and over called Hawai'i by Ana Vee.

Hawai'ian food is yummy! It will be awesome when you get the chance. Nice, not sure I have heard that song before. I will have to look it up later =) I like listening to Israel Kamakawiwo'ole from time to time.

That is so awesome! I wonder what that channel is called. Are you from the islands or just visiting or....?
The channel is OiWi Television....I believe it is on channel 326 per Spectrum Cable. Whenever I click on it .....all it does is say "downloading" then screen goes black......maybe channel is inactive or only broadcasts on limited hours....dunno.

The channel is OiWi Television....I believe it is on channel 326 per Spectrum Cable. Whenever I click on it .....all it does is say "downloading" then screen goes black......maybe channel is inactive or only broadcasts on limited hours....dunno.

How interesting =) good to know! Thanks!

Haha, pretty much the cuisine items are:

Manapua = Steam bun with a bbq pork in the center

Kalua pua'a = Smoked pork that has been rubbed down with sea salt. It is delicious!

Spam musubi = Spam (I usually fry mine) and rice rolled with nori (seaweed) paper. Yummm.

I really want to try poi (mashed taro root that has been boiled or steamed and sometimes fermented). I just can't seem to find taro root anywhere, though =/

Ugh...no fajitas or catfish here. Don't want to have to go to a restaurant every time I get a craving. Found catfish only once in a grocery store here.

Fish is kind of a rarity here. It is never fresh when it gets here (desert). I love fish. I am sure you can get some other fish at least. If you go to some parts early in the morning in Hawai'i, they have fresh fish markets. Although, no, it won't be catfish =/

Fajitas are simple to make. Just get aome skillet steak, cut it up, put it in a skillet with oil and salt and pepper and maybe some chili powder with diced onions and bell peppers and voila! Fajitas are a common dish here. American-Mexican food is half the cuisine around.

Kind of funny how food choice availablity depends on location.

personally...speaking as a southerner, no less...i think you're better off without the catfish. fajitas...i'd miss those, too, so "I feel your pain," as the cool kids say.

is food more $$$ there? it seems like that'd be the case...

During WWII if we hadn't occupied Hawaii the Japanese would have massacred everyone on the island chain and then used it to destroy the west coast and beyond.

So, where I have some sympathy for the homeless...the original natives? None! They are alive because of American lives.

Back