Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Here is one that will make you think....

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I think Jeff was correct to say that those who are among believers, and doing demonic things, are tares. They seem the same as the wheat for a time, but from seed they are tares all the way to maturity. They were sown in good soil by the enemy. It is the wheat that bears unto the maturity of God's fruit...the overcomers.

Concerning the verses about Peter, I wanted to offer an explanation.

13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
21 From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

For me, the question that Christ asked about who HE is was not answered by any of the disciples, including Peter, but it was revealed by the Father...He gave the answer.

Later, Peter was speaking from his flesh again, and there are spiritual consequences...satanic onces...that would cause us to deviate from the Father's perfect plan.

I do not think this is a matter of possession, but rather it is the contrast that while we are trusting God to provide the answers we are pleasing to Him and walking in Truth, but when we trust our own flesh to provide the answer, we are not only wrong but tools of satan. I think all of us in Peter's place would have rebuked Christ about saying that He must die...our flesh would prevail, our sentiments over His Truth.

I do not believe that believers can be demon possessed, but I do believe that we are to watch and pray as has been suggested already in this thread. The Lord bless all of you.

Can a Christian have a demon?

Absolutely. I just bought a book on spiritual warfare last night and it also affirmed that, saying that the Christian is positionally belonging to God but here on our life on earth any area of our life not yet personally submitted to the cross is subject (conditionally) to demonic temptation and/or exploitation if we let it. This is one importance of continued sanctification (ridding ourselves of the remnants of our old nature) so that there is no foothold for Satan to grab onto.

"Do not give the Devil a foothold" (Ephesians 4:27).

"Submit therefore to God, Resist the devil and he will flee from you" (James 4:7).

~Josh

cybershark5886 said:
Absolutely. I just bought a book on spiritual warfare last night and it also affirmed that, saying that the Christian is positionally belonging to God but here on our life on earth any area of our life not yet personally submitted to the cross is subject (conditionally) to demonic temptation and/or exploitation if we let it. This is one importance of continued sanctification (ridding ourselves of the remnants of our old nature) so that there is no foothold for Satan to grab onto.

"Do not give the Devil a foothold" (Ephesians 4:27).

"Submit therefore to God, Resist the devil and he will flee from you" (James 4:7).

~Josh

Which book are you referring too?

I would also suggest that there is a difference between being 'possessed' and being 'influenced'.

A Christian - born again believer, is sealed by the Holy Spirit, and as such cannot be possessed by a demon. However, if every area of their life is not submitted to God, then yes - I believe that same Christian can be tempted, persuaded and influenced by a demon.

Ok, for those that DO NOT 'believe', once again I offer;

Ephesians 6:11

10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

19And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

20For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Now, IF Christians CANNOT 'fall back' and BECOME vulnerable to Satan and his demons, WHY were we given such instruction from Paul? I propose that a 'Christian' CAN 'fall back' and, pershaps become a 'EX-Christian' that IS possessed by demons. And, further more, I BELIEVE that it's POSSIBLE that the one that is 'possessed' may NOT EVEN BE AWARE of the 'possession' until it's TOO LATE.

Demons will START by offering 'little suggestions'. Once one BEGINS to ENTERTAIN these thoughts, these demons become MORE and MORE powerful over the individual.

Now, WHO are the BIGGEST enemies of Satan? Who does Satan HATE more than ANY OTHER? I propose that it would BE CHRISTIANS that Satan would concentrate his energies upon MORE than those that ARE ALREADY LOST.

IF there was NO WAY for a 'Christian' to be lulled into BECOMING under the INFLUENCE, or even outright POSSESSION, WHY are we given SO MUCH warning? The warnings are given TO CHIRISTIANS. When Paul states, "Brethren", he is NOT talking to those that AREN'T saved, but those that ARE.

And WHY would Salvation be ANY different than a 'life-preserver'? I mean, as long as you are WEARING IT, you are SAFE from drowning. But, BUT, IF one decided to 'un-do' their straps and let it 'float away', WHAT THEN is there but their OWN ability to KEEP their head above the water?

MEC

Luke 11:24-26

"When an evil spirit comes out of a man, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, “I will return to the house I left.†When it arrives, it finds the house swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that man is worse than the first."

Those verses are saying that the demons will come back and re-enter the person and take seven buddies on top of that; if the person hasn't filled his vessel with the Holy Spirit.
This is why we better know what we're doing before we try to disciple a person who isn't ready.

I think what you are talking about, Mec, is demonic strongholds. These come from repetitive sin in certain areas of our lives. The flesh enjoys a certain pet sin for awhile and then it becomes an addiction/stronghold.
I believe the natural word and meaning addiction carries over to the spiritual side meaning stronghold/or demonic stronghold.

We open ourselves up to these strongholds when we continue to transgress Gods boundries without repentance. Sometimes God will have to let us hit bottom really hard in order to make us hate our pet sins; only then can we earnestly seek and find deliverance through Him.

Imagican said:
Ok, for those that DO NOT 'believe', once again I offer;

Ephesians 6:11

10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

19And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

20For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Now, IF Christians CANNOT 'fall back' and BECOME vulnerable to Satan and his demons, WHY were we given such instruction from Paul? I propose that a 'Christian' CAN 'fall back' and, pershaps become a 'EX-Christian' that IS possessed by demons. And, further more, I BELIEVE that it's POSSIBLE that the one that is 'possessed' may NOT EVEN BE AWARE of the 'possession' until it's TOO LATE.

Demons will START by offering 'little suggestions'. Once one BEGINS to ENTERTAIN these thoughts, these demons become MORE and MORE powerful over the individual.

Now, WHO are the BIGGEST enemies of Satan? Who does Satan HATE more than ANY OTHER? I propose that it would BE CHRISTIANS that Satan would concentrate his energies upon MORE than those that ARE ALREADY LOST.

IF there was NO WAY for a 'Christian' to be lulled into BECOMING under the INFLUENCE, or even outright POSSESSION, WHY are we given SO MUCH warning? The warnings are given TO CHIRISTIANS. When Paul states, "Brethren", he is NOT talking to those that AREN'T saved, but those that ARE.

And WHY would Salvation be ANY different than a 'life-preserver'? I mean, as long as you are WEARING IT, you are SAFE from drowning. But, BUT, IF one decided to 'un-do' their straps and let it 'float away', WHAT THEN is there but their OWN ability to KEEP their head above the water?

MEC

MEC - where is Paul saying that Christians can be POSSESSED?

Again - I say that Christians can be influenced, they can be pressured, they can be tempted - but that doesn't mean that they are POSSESSED.

Does the Holy Spirit not seal us? 2 Corinthians 1:21-23

I was posting at the same time as aLoneVoice, but I want to make it clear that 'stronghold' isn't the same as possession.

Ok guys,

Since Satan is NOT omiscient, he is ONLY able to influence ONE person at a time. I suggest that it be HIS DEMONS that do his dirty work. And we have NO IDEA 'how many' demons actually exist, (could be MILLIONS upon MILLIONS), for we DO KNOW that Mary had SEVEN cast out of her. And the INDICATION is that they were SEPARATE DEMONS.

Now, HOW could a 'demon' affect someone WITHOUT there BEING a 'possession'? These demons are NOT Satan, but his MINIONS. And I DON'T believe that they would be ABLE to influence someone WITHOUT actually DWELLING within THAT PERSON. Somehow one would HAVE TO OPEN a DOOR of sorts, to 'let them in'. But ONCE one DID open this 'door', they WOULD BE 'possessed'.

I am not ONLY using what is offered in the Bible. There are MANY MANY MANY accounts of those that on APPEARANCE were as 'saved' as ANY here, that have 'turned away' from the TRUTH and committed ATROCIOUS CRIMES. And in MOST cases where these individuals confess to their deeds, they have ALMOST an IDENTICAL tale to tell. Example:

I don't know WHAT happened. It was like this VOICE In my head 'telling' me to do this. And when I did it, it was like I WASN'T EVEN IN CONTROL OF MYSELF. It was like I was OUTSIDE of my body LOOKING AT MYSELF do it. When I pulled the trigger it was like it WASN'T even me.

Enough said here to 'get my drift'. MOST of these people have a tale that is SO familiar that they couldn't ALL be 'making it up'. This, folks, IS POSSESSION.

I believe that EVERYONE on this forum has been EXPOSED to demons at one time or another. MOST will repell the demons that attempt to interfere with their lives. BUT, there ARE and WILL be MANY that will "Entertain" demons and ALLOW them to 'take over' their WILL. And this is JUST as possible for a 'Christian' as ANYONE. PROBABLY MORE LIKELY. For Satan has little NEED to influence those that ARE LOST. He ALREADY OWNS THEM. It would be those that LOVED Christ that he would expend the MOST energy towards.

That old saying, "The Devil made me do it". That is NOTHING but vanity. RARELY would Satan have ANYTHING to do with us on an individual basis. It would be his LOWELY minions that we 'fall to'. Little insignificant spirits of deception that do his bidding. LOVING to experience rebelion and hate through the lives of the living. Finding this to be the ONLY way to find ANY excitement or pleasure.

Look, EACH of us have experienced times when for NO REASON, we have OUTRAGEOUSLY negative thoughts. WHERE do you 'suppose' that these 'come from'? Human nature? Do you TRULY believe that human nature would explain that which is CONTRARY to NATURE; PERIOD? NO WAY!!! The NEGATIVE emotions and ideas that we HAVE are NOT human nature. The flesh is SINFUL, but all flesh does NOT commit MURDER. All sinners do NOT rape. The difference is 'ENTERTAINING DEMONS'. Some DO, and some DON'T. But each of us IS capable of 'entertaining them' when we CHOOSE TO. And it's the THOUGHT that is the FIRST STEP in committing sin.

MEC

And it gets DEEPER folks. The 'entertainment' can sometimes last for YEARS BEFORE one actually ACTS upon it. And WHEN one does act upon inspiration, the demons actually PARTICIPATE. And, the MORE one ENTERTAINS, the MORE the DEMONS have CONTROL over their lives. destiny called this phenominon ADDICTION. That's a 'pretty good' explanation from a 'scientific' standpoint. But we aren't talking about 'science' here. We are talking about that which is SPIRITUAL. And those that entertain demons are JUST as SPIRITUAL as ANY monk that has EVER existed. They are simply obeying a DIFFERENT SPIRIT.

This 'thing' is PROGRESSIVE and THAT is WHY we have been WARNED to put on the WHOLE armor of God. So that we, like EVE, do NOT allow ourselves to be 'DUPED' into FOLLOWING the WRONG SPIRIT.

James Jones was OBVIOUSLY a man that KNEW the TRUTH, (or at least ENOUGH of it to FOOL people). Yet this man was OBVIOUSLY entertaining demons that convinced him to; NOT ONLY SLAUGHTER HIS SHEEP, but to RAPE and STEAL and WHO KNOWS what devious things that this man did to those that are NOT AROUND to tell us?

Elvis Presley was a man that was OBVIOUSLY a man that BELIEVED in Christ. Gospel music was HIS FAVORITE. But this man was SO influenced by demons that he BELIEVED that he could 'touch people and HEAL THEM'. Drug addict, fornicator, THOUGHT AT TIMES THAT HE WAS God Himself.

L Ron Hubbard, when on trial for tax evasion. His son was on the stand and the judge asked him, "So, your father was a Satanist?" His SON replied, "NO, you haven't been listening, my father BELIEVED that HE WAS SATAN". And this is a man that openly wrote in his journals that HE HAD a 'personal' spirit that HE COULD ACTUALLY SEE. And it was THIS SPIRIT that gave him the information that he used to CREATE 'scientology'.

Folks, DEMONS are MORE real than MOST are willing to BELIEVE. And this leads ME to 'believe' that MOST of those that would DENY their existence or power to BE influenced by them. WHY else would ANYONE that has READ the WORD deny their existence or ABILITY to INFLUENCE US? How could ANYONE that BELIEVES the Word NOT KNOW that demons ARE HERE and that they DO have the ability to POSSESS ANYONE that 'allows them to'?

There is LITTLE offered in the Word concerning demons. ENOUGH for us to KNOW that they DO EXIST and that there ARE MANY. 'I' Believe that the REASON that we were NOT given MORE information is due to the FACT that IF there were intricate explanation GIVEN, there would be MANY that would USE this information in a NEGATIVE manner in order to 'receive GAIN'.

Many of the Jews that were taken into captivity DID fall prey to demonology. The Cabal is a 'dark religion' based on BLACK MAGIC. It PRE-DATES Christianity by THOUSANDS of YEARS. Picked up by the Jews through their NUMEROUS times of captivity, even BEFORE MOSES. Why else do you 'think' that Moses wrote SO MUCH about 'witches, sorcerers, familiar spirits, etc........? For MANY jewish, (especially women), had 'picked up' on the 'black arts' of the Cabal and other spiritually DARK arts that were practiced by those whom they served. It's ALL history folks. Denial of the 'truth' doesn't CHANGE IT, it only PERPETUATES IT.

Demons ARE REAL. And Christians CAN be possessed by them. There are MANY examples of demon possession in the Gospels. And there is NO reason to BELIEVE that these that WERE possessed were ANYTHING BUT God fearing JEWS. The NEW covenant does NOT protect us from EVIL. It only offers LIFE. We are CERTAINLY prone to BE PERSECUTED BY EVIL. And in the same respect; we ARE capable of BEING EVIL if we ALLOW IT. And this is in reference to Christians as well as anyone else. (Oh, and by the way, do you REALIZE that 'Christian' is NOTHING but a NAME'). It REALLY has little meaning in the scope of things. And as a MATTER OF FACT; Christian was a 'deragatory name' used by the Jews and Romans to BELITTLE those that BELIEVED on Christ).

MEC

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back