Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Holidays A-Z

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

handy

How many things can we think of having to do with holidays and/or holiday related traditions from A-Z.

Post at least three responses per letter before moving on to the next letter and post which holiday the response is associated with if not clear. Any holiday, celebrated anywhere in the world is open for inclusion!

To get us started:

Apple Bobbing (Halloween)

Apple Pie (4th of July, and we always have it for Thanksgiving as well)

Away in a Manger (Christmas)

Beltane - Celtic Holiday celebrating the start of summer, celebrated on April 30 - May 1
Bon Festival - Buddhist Holiday
Boxing Day - Celebrated in the United Kingdom and other countries under the British Commonwealth. The day after Christmas

BTW, I wrote up a few articles on why or if Christians celebrate certain holidays. PM me if you would like a link to them.

C: Christmas! :)

Charles's birthday (Prince Charles was born in November some time and Commonwealth countries so inclined at least remember it.)

C..... (3rd one? ...... )

Last edited by a moderator:
For the last C we can have
Chanukah (Jewish holiday)

(Candy Canes would be a good one too! Remember the responses don't have to name a specific holiday, they can name a tradition or song connected to the holiday.)

D

Tempted to do Dasher, Dancer and Donner and be done with it, but that seems to be cheating just a bit. So, two more:

Dinner (as in Thanksgiving Dinner, Christmas Dinner... what holiday doesn't have a celebratory dinner?)

Dreidel (played during Chanukah)

Thomas' finished school a bit early today, so onward!

E

Easter

Epiphany

Elves (Christmas)

Figgy Pudding
Frosty
Frosting, on gingerbread men

(anyone care to guess what my favorite holiday is?)

Good Friday is a great answer!!!

(One of these days I'm going to make some figgy pudding... just because!)

The Grinch (because no Christmas is complete without one!)

Groundhog Day

Good Friday is a great answer!!!

(One of these days I'm going to make some figgy pudding... just because!)

The Grinch (because no Christmas is complete without one!)

Groundhog Day

Good response! You sound very Festive

Paul gets the gold star for alliteration! :cool

Which brings us to I:

Icabod Crane ("Legend of Sleepy Hollow" is a great Halloween story!)

Independence Day from whatever country celebrates it's independence!

Ignacio Zaragoza (Cinco de Mayo)

Juneteenth (abolition of slavery celebrated in 14 state of US) only one I could come up with and that was with GOOGLE (sorry i cheated)

Remember, it doesn't have to be a specific holiday.. it can also be associated with holiday traditions...

Such as

Jingle Bells!

or

Jack Frost (star of one of Rankin/Bass Christmas specials)

I had never heard of Loy Krathong so I looked it up. The wiki says, "The festival is believed to originate in an ancient practice of paying respect to the spirit of the waters. Today it is simply a time to have fun."... reminds me a lot of our modern Halloween.

M

Mother's Day

Mardi Gras

May Day

Handy, it's a beautiful festival, my wife makes her Kratong herself and we go to the river with the rest of the village to launch it and also launch the "KomFai" (apaper lantern that fills with the hot air from a candle) You see thousands of them floating into the sky and it really is a beautiful site. Obviously I don't pray to the water spirits etc.But it is still a very enjoyable day / night out.

Now N
Near Years Day

Back