Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Holidays of the Bible

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Armstrong used to forbid the celebrating of Christian Holidays.

yes, the counterfeit Christian holidays. the holidays the world invented.

Biblical holidays are all about Christ: His life, His work, His ministry.

Bob10 said:
Armstrong used to forbid the celebrating of Christian Holidays.

yes, the counterfeit Christian holidays. the holidays the world invented.

Biblical holidays are all about Christ: His life, His work, His ministry.
And I suppose acknowledging the birth, death and ressurrection of our Master is not??? Now, I'm not talking about with all the bells and whistles that have been added...just the 'mere' remembrance of these events.

And I suppose acknowledging the birth, death and ressurrection of our Master is not???

Isn't it interesting that we'll argue for any holidays, except the LORD's (Lev 23).

argue the point with Jesus.

Bob10 said:
And I suppose acknowledging the birth, death and ressurrection of our Master is not???

Isn't it interesting that we'll argue for any holidays, except the LORD's (Lev 23).

argue the point with Jesus.
Fair enough. Please show us where Jesus commanded we must celebrate OT feasts?

Lev 23:2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts. And please don't tell us you follow Leviticus 23 to the letter?!

Vic

Fair enough. Please show us where Jesus commanded we must celebrate OT feasts?

I like talking with people who give it a chance.

Perhaps they are not just Old Testament or Old Covenant.

The feasts are more correctly called the "appointed times" of Jehovah -- "appointed seasons" of the LORD.

Gen. 1: 14 says, in part, "...and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and for years."

The Hebrew word "seasons" in Gen. 1: 14 is the same word used for "feasts" in Leviticus 23 --http://bible.crosswalk.com/InterlinearBible/

There is every indication that God had His "holy seasons" from the very start, before Israel was even a thought.

A very powerful tape on this topic is one I listen to from time to time. If you are so inclined to listen to tapes;

http://www.cemnetwork.com/church/ -- just click on the picture of the folks standing on the beach. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

:biggrin Hi'. I personally don't celebrate any holidays,not the man made ones
or those made by God in the OT. I don't believe we must celebrate the
OT holidays today,but I know many people do. I don't believe we are
still under those laws. I don't celebrate them,but I believe understanding
them is of great importance and they teach you more about God and the
bible.

I don't believe we must celebrate the OT holidays today........

blueeyeliner,

I hear ya' ------

The OT holidays are called the appointed times of Jehovah.

Paul told the NT Christians in Corinth, Greece to keep Passover and the days of Unleavened Bread (1 Cor. 5:7-9).

I don't believe we are still under those laws.

Aren't -- thou shalt not kill and steal, etc. -- OT laws? Don't they TRANSCEND time, too?

If these laws preceded the OT, the Old Covenant, then they did not go out with the Old Covenant.

It can be shown that God's laws and holidays preceded the nation of Israel. God's laws and holidays were "there" from the get-go -- the beginning.

http://www.garnertedarmstrong.ws/pubs/lawsinai.htm

Bob10 said:
I don't believe we must celebrate the OT holidays today........

blueeyeliner,

I hear ya' ------

The OT holidays are called the appointed times of Jehovah.

Paul told the NT Christians in Corinth, Greece to keep Passover and the days of Unleavened Bread (1 Cor. 5:7-9).

[quote:e716a]I don't believe we are still under those laws.

Aren't -- thou shalt not kill and steal, etc. -- OT laws? Don't they TRANSCEND time, too?

If these laws preceded the OT, the Old Covenant, then they did not go out with the Old Covenant.

It can be shown that God's laws and holidays preceded the nation of Israel. God's laws and holidays were "there" from the get-go -- the beginning.

http://www.garnertedarmstrong.ws/pubs/lawsinai.htm[/quote:e716a]

:Fade-color Yes,I do believe the OT laws are for today too,but about
the holidays I don't believe that we have to celebrate them.
The Old Testament is still as great as ever,amen.

:biggrin What I mean by not being under the Old Testament law's are
about the holidays,and stoning people for sins,and some of the other
things like needing priests,ect.....
The New Testament explains these things.
Jesus is our only high priest,amen.

....but about

blueeyeliner,

How do you understand Paul telling the Corinthian Christians to keep Passover and the Days of Unleavened Bread (1 Cor. 5: 7-9) ?

For those of you here who support placing the 10 commandments in courts and schoolhouses, I have a question.

Should they scratch out the one about the Sabbath?

What I mean is, if Paul says the OT laws are dead, then why do you give a hoot about posting any of them?

Doesn't Jesus have some greater wisdom to share than the outdated OT laws?

The Sabbath is the sign or mark of the LORD (Exodus 31:13).

The Beast has his mark or sign also -- Sunday.

If you have the mark of the Beast, you will suffer at God's hands.

If you have God's sign, you will suffer and be killed by the Beast.

You will have to choose whom you will honor in your suffering and death.

Bob10 said:
....but about

blueeyeliner,

How do you understand Paul telling the Corinthian Christians to keep Passover and the Days of Unleavened Bread (1 Cor. 5: 7-9) ?

:B-fly: Could you write these verses out because thats not what I am
reading when I read those verses in the Holy Bible at all.
Out with the old and in with the new.

Bob10 said:
The Sabbath is the sign or mark of the LORD (Exodus 31:13).

The Beast has his mark or sign also -- Sunday.

If you have the mark of the Beast, you will suffer at God's hands.

If you have God's sign, you will suffer and be killed by the Beast.

You will have to choose whom you will honor in your suffering and death.

:B-fly: The I.D. chip is also being sold to the public now and many people
have them. The anti Christ is also known as the one who pierces.

blueeyeliner
Could you write these verses out because thats not what I am

"Christ our passover is sacrificed for us, therefore, let us keep the feast...." (1 Cor. 5: 7).

Acts 18:21 - "....I must by all means keep this feast that comes in Jerusalem...." --- some commentaries say this feast was Pentecost. And why not; the Christians had already kept Pentecost in Acts 2.

God's "appointed times" pre-date Israel. They are mentioned in Gen 1:14: the word "seasons".

http://bible.crosswalk.com/InterlinearBible/ -- type in "seasons" and "feasts", same Hebrew word, Mow`ed (appointed times).

The fourteenth of Nisan didn't become important because Jesus died on that date; Jesus died on that date because it was one of the "appointed times" of the LORD.

Bob10 said:
blueeyeliner
Could you write these verses out because thats not what I am

"Christ our passover is sacrificed for us, therefore, let us keep the feast...." (1 Cor. 5: 7).

Acts 18:21 - "....I must by all means keep this feast that comes in Jerusalem...." --- some commentaries say this feast was Pentecost. And why not; the Christians had already kept Pentecost in Acts 2.

God's "appointed times" pre-date Israel. They are mentioned in Gen 1:14: the word "seasons".

http://bible.crosswalk.com/InterlinearBible/ -- type in "seasons" and "feasts", same Hebrew word, Mow`ed (appointed times).

The fourteenth of Nisan didn't become important because Jesus died on that date; Jesus died on that date because it was one of the "appointed times" of the LORD.

:B-fly: I'm sorry,but I still don't read it that way. It means something
different to me when I read it from the holy bible. It doesn't appear to
be talking about the old testament feast days at all,but rather the new
covenant and how it's our new passover because of Christ Jesus our
Lord. This is why we also no longer needed Priests. Jesus is our high
Priest.

blueeyeliner

It doesn't appear to be talking about the old testament feast days at all, but rather the new covenant and how it's our new passover because of Christ Jesus our Lord.

I also believe there is a new meaning in the OT Passover.

Jesus is now the Lamb that was sacrificed (Jn 1:29).

I think it is something we should remember year after year, and never forget. We should imitate Jesus and take the cup and bread, yearly ---- to commemorate this sacred event. To me, this bread and wine is the NT Passover ---- "this do, in remembrance of Me" (1 Cor. 11:24-25).

Jesus instituted the NT Passover - "....I shall eat the Passover with my disciples" (Lk 22: 11, 15).

"I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer:" (Lk 22:15).

Bob10 said:
blueeyeliner

It doesn't appear to be talking about the old testament feast days at all, but rather the new covenant and how it's our new passover because of Christ Jesus our Lord.

I also believe there is a new meaning in the OT Passover.

Jesus is now the Lamb that was sacrificed (Jn 1:29).

I think it is something we should remember year after year, and never forget. We should imitate Jesus and take the cup and bread, yearly ---- to commemorate this sacred event. To me, this bread and wine is the NT Passover ---- "this do, in remembrance of Me" (1 Cor. 11:24-25).

Jesus instituted the NT Passover - "....I shall eat the Passover with my disciples" (Lk 22: 11, 15).

"I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer:" (Lk 22:15).

:biggrin I believe in the bread and the wine in rememberance
of the Lord too.

I believe in the bread and the wine in rememberance
of the Lord too.

We are partaking of the NT Passover.
The bread and the wine are the NT symbols (Matt 26:28) of the NT sacrifical Lamb, Jesus (1 Cor. 5:7-9).

Back