Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

HOLY SPIRIT convicts of what?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
M

Mitspa

Joh 16:8

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Joh 16:9

Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Joh 16:10

Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Joh 16:11

Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

the Holy Spirit is convicting 3 different groups 1. the "world" of sin, 2. You "believers" of righteousness 3. satan of "judgement"

Now find me one scripture in All the NEW Testament where the Holy Spirit brings the "believers" sin to remembrance? NO! what you will find is everytime the Holy Spirit and His work is mentioned that it says "there sins and lawless deeds I will remember no more! Check it out!

Joh 16:8

And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

Joh 16:9

Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Joh 16:10

Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Joh 16:11

Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

the Holy Spirit is convicting 3 different groups 1. the "world" of sin, 2. You "believers" of righteousness 3. satan of "judgement"

Now find me one scripture in All the NEW Testament where the Holy Spirit brings the "believers" sin to remembrance? NO! what you will find is everytime the Holy Spirit and His work is mentioned that it says "there sins and lawless deeds I will remember no more! Check it out!
he convicts us when we sin. :yes the rooster crows

he convicts us when we sin. :yes the rooster crows

Well do you have a scripture that says that? for the one I posted shows The Holy Spirit convicts the "believer" of Righteousness, meaning the Holy Spirit convicts us of our position as sons of God? It is very important to know the that satan is called the "accuser of the brethren" The Holy Spirit does not convict the believer of sin!
I am willing to accept any scripture that says He does, but there is none!

I agree. But I believe that little voice in my head that says you are doing wrong, is the spirit.
I kinda agree, but we also have a conscience? and most of us have been taught false doctrine, that the Holy Spirit is the one who shows us "believers" our sin! According to scripture He does not remember our sin and convicts us of our "righteous" relationship with God!

Heb 10:15

Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
Heb 10:16

This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

Heb 10:17

And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

So do we believe that one moment the Holy Spirit is showing us our sin and the next He is not "remembering them"?:chin

I don't think it is rememberance of sin, its more of when we sin. Just a thought, right or wrong. When we are believers we are more in tune with the spirit.

Acts 2:37
Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

not of past sins .. 1) to prick, pierce
2) metaph. to pain the mind sharply, agitate it vehemently
2a) esp. of the emotion of sorrow.. the word of GOD through the spirit

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing even to the point of dividing soul from spirit, and joints from marrow; it is able to judge the desires and thoughts of the heart.:yes

I like your point Mitspa. I haven't thought too much of what you said before, but after reading your post and trying to call to remembrance any verses that might conclude something other than your point, I came up with 1 John 2:27:

"But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

In context, this first letter of John is a warning against false teachers and their teachings. So in a sense, the Holy Spirit warns us to stay away from spiritual sin of others. This may fall under your first catagory (convicting the world of sin).

John also says in this letter that they (who do these things) are not of us, because if they were they would've continued in truth. So I don't think this goes against what you are saying, but I thought it was relevant enough to at least consider and hear what you have to say about it.

Added: Perhaps we should also consider Ananias and Saphiras in Acts 5, who lied and tempted the Holy Ghost?

being convicted by their own conscience..

John gives us a wondrous illustration of conviction although it is actually before the Holy Spirit was given..

And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

So I must agree that this is not a clear scripture concerning the Holy Spirit convicting a believer of sin.. although imo it's a lifelong process, because we all have sin and it does easily beset us at times.

If we confess our sins.. He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins..

Why would we confess our sins.. imo it's simply because we are convicted of our sins.. and as John shows us.. this can even happen in unregenerated people.. through their own conscience.. and a believer in Christ certainly continues to be conscious of sin in their life..

Unless of course some people claim that they don't sin and that they never need to repent of sin after they're saved in and in Christ Jesus.

Re: being convicted by their own conscience..

John gives us a wondrous illustration of conviction although it is actually before the Holy Spirit was given..

And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

So I must agree that this is not a clear scripture concerning the Holy Spirit convicting a believer of sin.. although imo it's a lifelong process, because we all have sin and it does easily beset us at times.

Why would we confess our sins.. imo it's simply because we are convicted of our sins.. and as John shows us.. this can even happen in unregenerated people.. through their own conscience.. and a believer in Christ certainly continues to be conscious of sin in their life..

Unless of course some people claim that they don't sin and that they never need to repent of sin after they're saved in and in Christ Jesus.

My reading for today was about this subject...

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, so that you may be healed. The intense prayer of the righteous is very powerful.—James 5:16

James advised that when we sin, it is important for us to confess not only to God, but also to our fellow Christians. There is a tremendous freedom that comes as we openly acknowledge the sinfulness of our actions to others.

Acts 2:37
Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

not of past sins .. 1) to prick, pierce
2) metaph. to pain the mind sharply, agitate it vehemently
2a) esp. of the emotion of sorrow.. the word of GOD through the spirit

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any double-edged sword, piercing even to the point of dividing soul from spirit, and joints from marrow; it is able to judge the desires and thoughts of the heart.:yes
Hey brother ezra, good morning!

The "Word" convicts our conscience, I use it all the time as a sword!

The Holy Spirit in regards to the "believer" bears witness to "righteousness" To the non-believer, he convicts them of sin. just as your scripture shows!

These Jews had the "word" all their life, yet never considered that they needed Christ Jesus as thier Savior?

My friend, I am against sin! The only "biblical" answer to sin for a believer is to "walk in the Spirit" Now we have all been taught a bunch of religious nonsense concerning the Holy Spirit. I hope that when some understand the "work" of the Holy Spirit in regards to the "believer" they may be set free from sin!

How can two walk together unless they agree?

I like your point Mitspa. I haven't thought too much of what you said before, but after reading your post and trying to call to remembrance any verses that might conclude something other than your point, I came up with 1 John 2:27:

"But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

In context, this first letter of John is a warning against false teachers and their teachings. So in a sense, the Holy Spirit warns us to stay away from spiritual sin of others. This may fall under your first catagory (convicting the world of sin).

John also says in this letter that they (who do these things) are not of us, because if they were they would've continued in truth. So I don't think this goes against what you are saying, but I thought it was relevant enough to at least consider and hear what you have to say about it.

Added: Perhaps we should also consider Ananias and Saphiras in Acts 5, who lied and tempted the Holy Ghost?

Thanks Slider, a good honest view! Make no mistake, I do not hold the Holy Spirit as a butterfly. But it is important not to confuse His Work with that of the "accuser" Religious bondage comes from ignorance, liberty comes when we know the truth! God Bless -Mitspa

My friend, I am against sin! The only "biblical" answer to sin for a believer is to "walk in the Spirit" Now we have all been taught a bunch of religious nonsense concerning the Holy Spirit. I hope that when some understand the "work" of the Holy Spirit in regards to the "believer" they may be set free from sin! How can two walk together unless they agree?

This is a strawman Mitspa.. nobody here is endorsing sin.. I'm simply being honest about the fact that I have sinned and that even on good days I fall infinitely short of the glory of God.

If you'd like to believe otherwise.. then you're welcome to that.

This is a strawman Mitspa.. nobody here is endorsing sin.. I'm simply being honest about the fact that I have sinned and that even on good days I fall infinitely short of the glory of God.

If you'd like to believe otherwise.. then you're welcome to that.

Eventide, did you read my post, and why I think it a good topic to discuss?
The victory over sin comes when we walk in agreement with the Holy Spirit!

How can two walk together, unless they are in agreement?:chin

Eventide, did you read my post, and why I think it a good topic to discuss?
The victory over sin comes when we walk in agreement with the Holy Spirit!

How can two walk together, unless they are in agreement?:chin

They can't... although if you believe that you are without sin then the scriptures clearly and unmistakeably teach that you are deceived, and that the truth is not in you.

Walking with the Lord is agreeing with Him.. agreeing that there are none good but one.. that He alone is righteous.. that our hope of glory is Christ in me, and not Christ AND me..

They can't... although if you believe that you are without sin then the scriptures clearly and unmistakeably teach that you are deceived, and that the truth is not in you.

Walking with the Lord is agreeing with Him.. agreeing that there are none good but one.. that He alone is righteous.. that our hope of glory is Christ in me, and not Christ AND me..

Rom 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
Rom 10:4

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

A believer MUST die to their own "rightoeusness" before they can walk in agreement with the Holy Spirit!

The power over sin comes when we stop looking at mans weakness and start trusting in Gods Strength! :thumbsup

To continue to charge me with things "I have not said", "I believe" is a violation of the rules on this forum?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rom 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
Rom 10:4

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

A believer MUST die to their own "rightoeusness" before they can walk in agreement with the Holy Spirit!

The power over sin comes when we stop looking at mans weakness and start trusting in Gods Strength! :thumbsup

To continue to charge me with things "I have not said", "I believe" is a violation of the rules on this forum?

This is another strawman.. nobody is claiming their own righteousness here.

And because you have agreed that you sin.. then you're not saying anything different than what I am saying.

This is another strawman.. nobody is claiming their own righteousness here.

And because you have agreed that you sin.. then you're not saying anything different than what I am saying.
No the point of the Thread is the "work of the Holy Spirit" You and I are just men!

Eph 3:16

That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
Eph 3:17

That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18

May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
Eph 3:19

And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
Eph 3:20

Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
:biglol
Here is my focus, you may focus on whatever you like!

No the point of the Thread is the "work of the Holy Spirit" You and I are just men!

Eph 3:16

That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
Eph 3:17

That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
Eph 3:18

May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
Eph 3:19

And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
Eph 3:20

Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
:biglol
Here is my focus, you may focus on whatever you like!

I have no idea what you're talking about now..

I thought that we were agreed... that you have sinned since becoming a Christian..

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back