Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Home schooling? What are your views?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Johnny916

Greetings everyone! I'm not married or have children. But I recently read an interesting article from Yahoo. A Chicago school ban children bringing in home lunches. Chicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight - Yahoo! News I grew up in the public school system in California. I can say there are many great teachers. But the public system is going down hill. Classes are growing larger, teachers are having a difficult time teaching and controlling students, terrible food and rest rooms, difficult learning soundings and so on. I have seen programs where they home school their children and their children are much better off then growing in bad surrounding at a public school. Whether the school has some "great ideal" for the students or angry parents react over a childish issue. America is a multicultural country and it is difficult trying to find a place where you can be happy at school. There are many advantages for home schooling. Children can grow with family and visit friends and maybe other home school students who are home schooled. Many parents also have their children in sports or entertainment programs that exist outside school where they can live social lives. In the future I plan of seeing how this will work out when I have a family and go through home schooling children. Are there any families or parents out there who home school their children? How does it work? Food, school supplies and books, is their something threw church or any other people who are Jewish or Muslim have success in home schooling their children? I would like to see how home schooling really works and will be the best idea for children.

Hi Johnny.

My daughter is being ‘home schooled’ by a qualified teacher with 7 children in her ‘school’. All the children have ‘special needs’ ranging from ADD to brain damage caused by meningitis. My daughter is flourishing in the environment and she is doing very well because of the one-on-one attention, and the teacher has now decided to follow the national curriculum with her. My little one would’ve gotten lost in a public school environment because of the big classes and she would most definitely have fallen behind. She is a very sensitive little soul, this would’ve crushed her. <O:tongue</O:tongue
I’m all for home schooling.

It had an enormously positive effect on my child and I will be forever grateful to her loving teacher.<O:tongue</O:tongue

I homeschool my daughter. She is doing very well. You have to be committed, though. Sometimes, it is SO tempting to sleep late, or goof off one day, but we know better. Homeschool parents can go to museums and such during the day hours for the same discount admission as school groups. Depending on where you live, there are rules, such as required testing, attendance sheets, grade folders, and visits from the state once a year. We haven't encountered any problems with these, so far. I have a room set up as a classroom, learning posters, dry erase board, bulletin board, ect... My daughter attended Christian school prior to homeschool, so I just felt this made her feel more in a school setting. She even has a desk. There is a lot of different curriculum out there. I like the ACE Paces, but my favorite is ABEKA. I know some homeschool parents that mix and match from different kinds. We stuck with ABEKA because that's what she used at her old school and it is a wonderful program.

I homeschool my daughter. She is doing very well. You have to be committed, though. Sometimes, it is SO tempting to sleep late, or goof off one day, but we know better. Homeschool parents can go to museums and such during the day hours for the same discount admission as school groups. Depending on where you live, there are rules, such as required testing, attendance sheets, grade folders, and visits from the state once a year. We haven't encountered any problems with these, so far. I have a room set up as a classroom, learning posters, dry erase board, bulletin board, ect... My daughter attended Christian school prior to homeschool, so I just felt this made her feel more in a school setting. She even has a desk. There is a lot of different curriculum out there. I like the ACE Paces, but my favorite is ABEKA. I know some homeschool parents that mix and match from different kinds. We stuck with ABEKA because that's what she used at her old school and it is a wonderful program.

Still Blessed:

If it works, go for it...

There are lots of issues there which could be talked about at length, one by one. But when parents make that choice, I think they should be respected.

And, of course, there's not the school dress code issue...

either for your daughter...or for you... :)

Both of my sons are in high school and have been home schooled since kindergarten. They are both college bound and doing very well. If you have the talent to teach then I highly recommend it.

As a student, I feel that home school would be very sheltered, and this isn't necessarily a good thing. I went to a private Christian school from kindergarten to grade 9, and this was already very sheltered as well. I live in Canada, so I dont really know much about the public schools in America, but the public school I now go to is a pretty good one and I have no problem with the learning environment at all. Sure, there's less one on one attention, but this teaches you to rely on your peers. There are some troublesome students as well, but you might as well get used to them, 'cause theres gonna be troublesome people in university and troublesome colleagues in the office. The class sizes aren't really that big, I think the biggest class I've had is around 30. Also this might be a better transition for going into college/university, where class sizes are in the hundreds, and nobody will know or care if you fall behind.

As a student, I feel that home school would be very sheltered, and this isn't necessarily a good thing. I went to a private Christian school from kindergarten to grade 9, and this was already very sheltered as well. I live in Canada, so I dont really know much about the public schools in America, but the public school I now go to is a pretty good one and I have no problem with the learning environment at all. Sure, there's less one on one attention, but this teaches you to rely on your peers. There are some troublesome students as well, but you might as well get used to them, 'cause theres gonna be troublesome people in university and troublesome colleagues in the office. The class sizes aren't really that big, I think the biggest class I've had is around 30. Also this might be a better transition for going into college/university, where class sizes are in the hundreds, and nobody will know or care if you fall behind.
myth. the student that is homeschooled has poor social skills. and is sheltered. not so. i know of athiests and also christians that also home school. they do better in colleges.

I don't think that I would home school my children. I loved having friends from school, and learnt so much through the interaction with others, I wouldn't like my children to not experience that. If I did home school them, I would get a teacher in for them, because I would not have the skills to teach them all they needed.

i am the the exclusion to the myth that public school children have better social skills. i was never was home schooled and i had poor social skills.
home schooling isnt for everybody.

Being homeschooled doesn't mean that you never leave the house. There are groups in our area that have plays, parties, social outings, field trips, and all kinds of things together. They are made up of homeschool families and they really bond. They go to a local gym twice a week for P.E. and even do funraisers to purchase a yearbook for each member with that year's children in it, along with pics of the year's activities. Homeschool doesn't always mean sheltered from everyone. It can be sheltering from some things, and I am a fan of that. Children need that time of innocence to just be children. We are living in a world today where our kids are growing up way too fast because they are forced to.

@Still Blessed, I totally agree. Because of the flexibility of their schedule my boys have been able to pursue extracurricular activities to an extent they probably wouldn't have been able to if they were enrolled in public school. There are some great opportunities for home schooled kids.

I went to a public school all my life.

With that said, if I ever have children, I'd look into homeschooling. I feel confidant I could teach the first few years, such as reading, writing and arithmetic, but after that I'd have to look into hiring a private teacher.

Trust me, neither I nor my wife are qualified to teach calculus or physics. Our kids get tutoring in math and they take their science labs through the charter school they're a part of.

Being homeschooled doesn't mean that you never leave the house. There are groups in our area that have plays, parties, social outings, field trips, and all kinds of things together. They are made up of homeschool families and they really bond. They go to a local gym twice a week for P.E. and even do funraisers to purchase a yearbook for each member with that year's children in it, along with pics of the year's activities. Homeschool doesn't always mean sheltered from everyone. It can be sheltering from some things, and I am a fan of that. Children need that time of innocence to just be children. We are living in a world today where our kids are growing up way too fast because they are forced to.
:thumbsup

There is a great difference between home schoolin and home foolin. See both in my relatives
Different kids learn in different ways.

Trust me, neither I nor my wife are qualified to teach calculus or physics. Our kids get tutoring in math and they take their science labs through the charter school they're a part of.
i dont think one needs to be masters in any field to teach basics. but you do have good idea. i could handle some calculus and i have tutored twice in algrebra.

i dont think one needs to be masters in any field to teach basics. but you do have good idea. i could handle some calculus and i have tutored twice in algrebra.

You don't. You have to have good organizational skills, take it very seriously, and have a great relationship with your kids.

You don't. You have to have good organizational skills, take it very seriously, and have a great relationship with your kids.
i have a friend that does homeschool and two parents of friends that homeschooled and went to jail for that right and they won in court and both their kids were ahead in high school.

what do you teach them on science? creationism or current science theories?

i have a friend that does homeschool and two parents of friends that homeschooled and went to jail for that right and they won in court and both their kids were ahead in high school.

what do you teach them on science? creationism or current science theories?

Wow. Jail. These secularist nazis really suck.

They learn it all, Darwinism, New Earth theology, Old Earth theology. I got a lot of indoctrination crap shoved down my throat as a kid, both from the dope smoking hippies (i.e. teachers) at school and from the fundamentalists at church. My boys are free thinkers.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back