Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How can a Church attract attendees?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Church is all about everyone in attendance...including yourself.

We go there to serve, and be served. We need to be built up just as much as we need to build others up. Paul said we are to build each other up when we meet together.

Oh I agree with that for sure. My whole point about it's not about us is that many people pray for themselves, Lord give me this, Lord give me that, Lord bless me...instead of simply praising the Lord. The Lord knows our needs and takes care of us, but when we pray for the blessings, we make it about us and not the Lord.

Not that it's bad or wrong to pray for help or gifts or blessings because that certainly would not be true, but it shouldn't be a habit or the only things we ever pray for. The primary focus of prayers I think should be praises, blessings, and glory to the Lord. Good point though Jethro.

I think it is important to attract members but I think there are times when churches put membership ahead of God and this is not good. In other words, I think some churches are more focused on growing in numbers rather than growing in spirit.

One way that I can see churches grow is to develop their youth programs. Some parents, even though they themselves don't attend regular services, will still get their children involved in a youth program albeit for the wrong reason but getting them there is half the battle. Once there the seeds can be planted.

Looking to attract attendees is not what churches should be doing. They should be doing what churches are supposed to be doing--worshiping, teaching, discipleship, loving, etc.--and the rest will take care of itself. If churches aren't growing, it is usually obvious as to why.

My young niece told her mother that she wants to go to church, and her mother tried to send her off alone and she said no way, you have to take me and we'll learn together. I thought this was great and praised the Lord for it, lol.

A theologin in my country Prof. Kotze in his book "Die Kerk op sy Soektog" (My translation "The Church and its Search Mission" ) identifies this problem as far back into the 70's.
He pinpoints "living by bread alone"Luke 4:3-4 as a strong culprit affecting church or other religious gatherings attendance figures.
The learned Professor takes us back to the Industrial Revolution where genrally only the well to do could find the time to go to Church.The average worker was to bogged down with daily survival needs .He sites an authority ,D.R. Davis who comments regarding those days"The vast majority of men employed in machine industry are engaged on single automatic process...They have ceased to be craftsmen and have become machine minders.The skill is in the machine.Now it is inevitable that such deadly monotony and mechanical automation is bound to affect the mind of the worker espesially over a long period...It inhibits initiative and sense of indervidual resonsibility.It stunts personality.
And so there is bred in masses of men a mechanised mentallity, which hands reponsibility over to somebody else."I believe this to be just as relevant today with current technoligy.Easier said than done, but as Christ tells Satan ,we cant live on "bread alone" but the Word Of God as well on a daily basis.The church as a body will just have to jack up their act ,not only Preachers and Elders ,but every part of the vine (all members) and simply find a way to balance our lives in order to make space for the Spirit to work within us and not be bogged down by (materialism , bread only") hang-ups.Churches need to find a way of keeping the "Word "stronger than simply entertaining an audience with marketing gimmiks to attract crowds ,as most businesses do.See Matt.6:1-4 regarding hypocrites.
Clearly it seems that homework on all sides ,is lacking ,as far as the truth of the word is concerned and correct motives for going to Church.

A theologin in my country Prof. Kotze in his book "Die Kerk op sy Soektog" (My translation "The Church and its Search Mission" ) identifies this problem as far back into the 70's.
He pinpoints "living by bread alone"Luke 4:3-4 as a strong culprit affecting church or other religious gatherings attendance figures.
The learned Professor takes us back to the Industrial Revolution where genrally only the well to do could find the time to go to Church.The average worker was to bogged down with daily survival needs .He sites an authority ,D.R. Davis who comments regarding those days"The vast majority of men employed in machine industry are engaged on single automatic process...They have ceased to be craftsmen and have become machine minders.The skill is in the machine.Now it is inevitable that such deadly monotony and mechanical automation is bound to affect the mind of the worker espesially over a long period...It inhibits initiative and sense of indervidual resonsibility.It stunts personality.
And so there is bred in masses of men a mechanised mentallity, which hands reponsibility over to somebody else."I believe this to be just as relevant today with current technoligy.Easier said than done, but as Christ tells Satan ,we cant live on "bread alone" but the Word Of God as well on a daily basis.The church as a body will just have to jack up their act ,not only Preachers and Elders ,but every part of the vine (all members) and simply find a way to balance our lives in order to make space for the Spirit to work within us and not be bogged down by (materialism , bread only") hang-ups.Churches need to find a way of keeping the "Word "stronger than simply entertaining an audience with marketing gimmiks to attract crowds ,as most businesses do.See Matt.6:1-4 regarding hypocrites.
Clearly it seems that homework on all sides ,is lacking ,as far as the truth of the word is concerned and correct motives for going to Church.
Thanks Tony, I'd like to add to that.
Many younger folks in church have to work and raise families.
It's very hard for them to have time to reach out to people in need.
But older folks as myself have time to do things.
I see a problem in my church and God has put it on my heart to do something about it.
People are drifting into our church that have no jobs, no transportation, difficult living situations.
My county has practically no industry.
These people need help "NOW"!
So I am working on this, I've recruited another man, and we've just started, but it's a major issue where I live.

But if God puts the needs of others in your path, he's looking to see you help them whatever way you can.
He will be there with us to make it happen.
Persevere, that's a word for Christians to take hold of and believe in.

For Churches that have mortgage and salary obligations and can't realistically function with only a handful of people, what are some of the ways you think a church should or shouldn't draw people to attend?
Dear brother, I haven’t seen this before that I remember thus this reply to your original post, and will endeavor to give what I know and have experienced to sustain an assembly. The truth is above all. A past pastor once told of another older pastor that told him something akin to the following advice: “Undoubtedly you will need money to keep your meeting open, but learn to go to God for it and not the people. If God doesn’t want it to survive, do we?”

I have seen bake sales, car washes, continuous promotion breakfasts, selling of church literature, having pledges, and all amount of endeavors promoting youth activities to attract some. I don‘t remember even one surviving this process. I personally would prefer a home church setting than those I’ve seen go through that. In forty years I have attended an assembly without membership, and without any of the schemes above. In fact I have never heard a sermon on giving attempting to bring in money.

People want assurances of success much like the world, and we do not need that. It is sad to see a church fall short of what was probably their original intent when they began to reach the world with the gospel.

PS – I just saw reba’s #2 reply and surely agree with that.

My thoughts and blessings in Christ Jesus.

Many younger folks in church have to work and raise families.
It's very hard for them to have time to reach out to people in need.
Maybe it's just me and my experience but with all due respect I'm not sure I can agree with this.

Throughout my adult life I spent a year in college, four years in a very good paying job, got married, bought a house, had children, unemployed for a year, worked for barely over minimum wage for a few years, ran a small business for a few years, spent time on welfare, went back to school and finally got hired at my current employer 23+ years ago where. From the time I graduated high school through my 20's I had plenty of time to indulge in the party life and I indulged. I had children to raise, mortgages to pay, etc. Did I ever experience a time in my life when I could not find time to reach out to others in need? I have to say no that question. The real question is did I reach out to people in need? Again, I have to say no. I was greedy and selfish thinking only about me and what I can do to enjoy my life more. That's what I did.

Even today, I dedicate a certain amount of my income every year and occasionally volunteer to support various charitable organizations in the hopes that I might be helping someone somewhere but do I do ALL that I can? I doubt it. If fact, I know I don't. If someone was to come and evaluate what I do there is no doubt that I have no room to boast.

The argument that we don't have time has no merit. We got time to do things to satisfy our own selfish desires all the time. We have time to go shopping for Christmas gifts, we have time to go out for dinner, we have time to sit in front of our televisions,....

Yes, we have time to reach out.

Maybe it's just me and my experience but with all due respect I'm not sure I can agree with this.

Throughout my adult life I spent a year in college, four years in a very good paying job, got married, bought a house, had children, unemployed for a year, worked for barely over minimum wage for a few years, ran a small business for a few years, spent time on welfare, went back to school and finally got hired at my current employer 23+ years ago where. From the time I graduated high school through my 20's I had plenty of time to indulge in the party life and I indulged. I had children to raise, mortgages to pay, etc. Did I ever experience a time in my life when I could not find time to reach out to others in need? I have to say no that question. The real question is did I reach out to people in need? Again, I have to say no. I was greedy and selfish thinking only about me and what I can do to enjoy my life more. That's what I did.

Even today, I dedicate a certain amount of my income every year and occasionally volunteer to support various charitable organizations in the hopes that I might be helping someone somewhere but do I do ALL that I can? I doubt it. If fact, I know I don't. If someone was to come and evaluate what I do there is no doubt that I have no room to boast.

The argument that we don't have time has no merit. We got time to do things to satisfy our own selfish desires all the time. We have time to go shopping for Christmas gifts, we have time to go out for dinner, we have time to sit in front of our televisions,....

Yes, we have time to reach out.
I agree WIP, very good.
I was being polite.
But mainly, I was pointing out the older folks that have no excuse at all.
The men at my church have set an example for me.
If I did nothing, I would stand alone more or less.

I also wanted to point out that it should be in our hearts to reach out to people with needs as he puts them in our paths.

:thumbsup
Yes, I agree.

We like to excuse ourselves and not hold ourselves accountable. I find the older I get (will be 55 this coming Feb.) the more I feel a desire to reach out in some way. I expect it is God pushing me a little and I need to learn to follow His lead.

Preaching the Word... The gimmicks dont do the job. From the sweet side of the Gospel, The harsh side of the reality of being a true follower of Christ. Please dont serve coffee and donuts to get them in ... The lack of teaching in our churches is sadly amazing.

That said ... depending the location of the church... Dont bother to feed the soul when the belly is hungry....

SO true. If we do our best to teach the truth and live in accordance with God's will, He will give the increase. Our concern should not be on growth but on doing the will of the Father. If He wants growth to occur He is more than capable of taking care of that!

Here's a twist for you. A sanctified Imagination. Visualize the seats filled. Stay focused upon Jesus. I'll explain.

We are taught in scripture that if a man looks upon a woman to lust after her in his heart, that is guilty of adultery. Have you ever thought what this means? This means using ones imagination in a wicked way. According to scripture, we will be judged on our imaginations! To Jesus, our imagination is reality, otherwise, we would not be judged on it. Interesting huh?

So instead of using the imagination in a wicked way, use it in a sanctified way, unto God. When you read a book, do you get pictures in your head? Of course. How about the bible? of course. Does God speak to men in dreams and visions? Yes of course He does. So pictures are a language to God. Imaginations are pictures. Hold the services, see the seats filled, direct the imagination in a Holy way to fill the seats.

What happens in the mind when we think, dwell, and see pictures? Whoosh! It goes into our heart. That's why we will be judged on it, for what is in our heart, and also what it will release the Lord to do for us.

This is also why it is said that having a bad thought is not sin, but becomes sin if we do not take the thought captive, we take it within us and it enters our heart, and then becomes sin. Also why we should not watch television. What is television? Light rays holding pictures. Isn't Satan described as an angel of light? Hmm.

Visualize brother! FIlled seats! Praise the Lord!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back