Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study How Can One Have Faith and No Works?

Over the years many have taught various ways to receive everlasting life. No wonder the world is full of so many denominations. All of these different doctrines, seemingly coming from the bible, tend only to confuse people. Most people don't know what to believe and simply choose not to attend any church. Nevertheless, the bible speaks of only one way to get eternal salvation. "One Lord, one faith, one baptism" (Ephesians 4:5). The next time someone asks you what faith you are, tell them there's only one faith. The road to eternal salvation starts with knowledge of the Holy Scriptures. God doesn't want us to memorize two or three verses, but instead he left the entire bible so we can learn how to get salvation. If we learn it, believe it and obey it (the bible), salvation will be our reward. Before you can start any task you must first know about it and without the key of knowledge we are lost. "...thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make the wise unto salvation..." (II Timothy 4:15). However, with all the various doctrines (teachings) it's hard to know which road to take. Many claim that it really doesn't matter saying, "you serve God your way and I'll serve God my way." Since the Lord is the author of eternal salvation we can only obtain it by serving him his way (Hebrews 5:9). Some choose to rely on the wisdom of their pastor by putting his word above God's word.

Some say you must obey God's word, but then they turn around and teach contrary to God's word. At best they never get around to explaining exactly what kind of works are needed to get eternal life. A man asked Jesus this very question, "...What good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?", and Jesus replied, "... KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS" (Matthew 19:16-19).
WRONG! The Bible, every word of it, is of a single context and that is reestablishing fellowship between man and God. (Gen, 3:8, Matthew18:11) And if worked for your salvation, you are not saved for we are saved by grace alone:
Ephesians 2:8-9 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and a]">[a]that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

That was the acceptable year of the Lord. Lets go into Luke 4: 17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, 18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, 19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. 20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. Lets go to one place in Matthew 9:
But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house. So now, things still works the same in Jesus but a little different, for our sins to be forgiven we have to baptise in the name of Jesus.
WRONG! We are not saved by being dipped and held under the water. We are saved by God's grace and nothing else. We all deserve to be sent into the Eternal Death in the Lake of Fire. (Rom. 3:10, 3:23) We must never forget that, "No scripture, no collection of scriptures nor any passage of scripture can ever be fully understood without the light of all other scripture shining on it/them.

Lets take a look at it in Luke 4: 14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about. 4:15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all. 4:16And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read. 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

At that time Jesus did those things right on the spot for those who had faith, and still those healing can be done, but you have to follow, “
Every word" that proceeds out of the mouth of God, because we know that man shall not live by bread alone (Matthew 4:4). The guy on the cross also repented, and his sins were forgiven. So the acceptable year of the Lord is over, but we still can have similar result if not the same, if is we follow what thus says the Lord.
Lets take a look at Gods Love.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

WRONG! We are not saved by being dipped and held under the water. We are saved by God's grace and nothing else. We all deserve to be sent into the Eternal Death in the Lake of Fire. (Rom. 3:10, 3:23) We must never forget that, "No scripture, no collection of scriptures nor any passage of scripture can ever be fully understood without the light of all other scripture shining on it/them.

Nothing wrong about what I post its all in the book and those things happen in the days of Jesus. Are we to believe that God’s holy commandments are no longer to be kept in this world of modern Christianity? One of the most often quoted verses to try and do away with God’s Royal law comes from the writing of the Apostle Paul; (Rom. 6:14) For sin shall not have dominion over you: for you are not under the law, but under grace.

Now people will take this one verse and run with it, ignoring the writings of the others apostles and the prophets and the statements of even Jesus himself. Grace is nothing more than a free gift. And that free gift is our access back to the tree of life (Jesus) which Adam caused us to lose by disobeying God. But to maintain your grace you must keep the law. (1John 3:4) Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. Now we have just read the biblical definition of sin, the transgression (breaking) of the law (commandments.) It doesn’t matter what you or I think sin is, it’s what God says sin is that counts.

Lets take a look at Gods Love.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

I agree, but just like Paul said in Romans 2: 13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified

WRONG! The Bible, every word of it, is of a single context and that is reestablishing fellowship between man and God. (Gen, 3:8, Matthew18:11) And if worked for your salvation, you are not saved for we are saved by grace alone:
Ephesians 2:8-9 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and a]">[a]that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

I agree with the verses you quoting, but you out of context. I'm quoting out of KJV. Paul said in
(Rom. 13:7-10) (v.7) Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. (v.8) Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. That’s the biblical definition of love, the keeping of God’s law. And you thought love was kissing and hugging and rolling around in bed. (v.9) For this, THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, THOU SHALT NOT KILL, THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, THOU SHALT NOT COVET; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF. (v.10) Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. And that is what God’s holy commandments are all about; the first four tells you how to love God and the last six tells you how to love your neighbor. If you love your God you will not do anything to offend him, like having other gods before him.

You will do as he says like remember the sabbath day to keep it holy on the seventh day of the week. If you love him you will obey him when he tells you not to eat certain meats etc… And the same goes for your fellow man, if you love your neighbor you wouldn’t steal from him, you wouldn’t kill him, you wouldn’t try and sleep with his wife and so on and so forth. This is God’s definition of love and it is perfect in its ways. So if you say that you know God, but you don’t keep his commandments, lets see what the Lord had specially written for you.

Let's go into (1 John 2:3-4) (v.3)
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. (v.4) he that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Nothing wrong about what I post its all in the book and those things happen in the days of Jesus. Are we to believe that God’s holy commandments are no longer to be kept in this world of modern Christianity? One of the most often quoted verses to try and do away with God’s Royal law comes from the writing of the Apostle Paul; (Rom. 6:14) For sin shall not have dominion over you: for you are not under the law, but under grace.

Now people will take this one verse and run with it, ignoring the writings of the others apostles and the prophets and the statements of even Jesus himself. Grace is nothing more than a free gift. And that free gift is our access back to the tree of life (Jesus) which Adam caused us to lose by disobeying God. But to maintain your grace you must keep the law. (1John 3:4) Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. Now we have just read the biblical definition of sin, the transgression (breaking) of the law (commandments.) It doesn’t matter what you or I think sin is, it’s what God says sin is that counts.

We as Christians do need to keep the commandments.

However, we do not observe the Sabbath according to the law of Moses, which dictates that violators are to be put to death.

Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Exodus 31:15

Do you have any New Testament scriptures that instruct the Church how to observe the Sabbath under the New Covenant?

JLB

But NOTHING!
SCRIPTURE says that GENTILES ARE NOT REQUIRED TO KEEP THE LAW.
Edited reba

LOl...you wish...lets go and see what Paul said in (Ephesians 2:11-22) let’s look at the 11th through 13th verses. "Wherefore remember, that ye being in the time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called uncircumcision by that which is called the circumcision in the flesh made by hands; (12th vs.) That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenant of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: (13th vs.) But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ."

Gentile are know more strangers to the word of God in those days and today as well...18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. 19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; 20 - And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Now lets see what happen if decide not to keep the law, which is righteousness...Paul said in Romans 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: 8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, 9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; 10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: 11 For there is no respect of persons with God. 12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; 13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

We as Christians do need to keep the commandments.

However, we do not observe the Sabbath according to the law of Moses, which dictates that violators are to be put to death.

Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Exodus 31:15

Do you have any New Testament scriptures that instruct the Church how to observe the Sabbath under the New Covenant?

JLB

You absolutely correct, but understand that the first death of man Jesus call sleep, it's the second death that we have to really worried about. Lets go into Revelation 20: 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

We still must obey all of God's laws and statues of conduct, from the Ten Commandments to the least commandment. We cannot choose to obey one without obeying the others. For instance, if it's still good to pay tithes (as many preach), then it is still good to obey God's dietary law (not eating pork, catfish, etc...Leviticus 11: 1-47. Similarly, you cannot purposely trip a blind person (Leviticus 19:14) and claim to love your neighbor as yourself. Neither can you break God's Sabbath days (Leviticus 19:30) and claim to love God with all your heart, soul and mind. Many fight to uphold man's traditional holidays (Sunday the 1st day as the Sabbath, Christmas, Easter and Halloween), but few are obeying God's Holy Days (Saturday the 7th day Sabbath, the Passover, Pentecost, etc…Leviticus 23: 1-44. All of God's laws are still good and must be obeyed if we want eternal life. We might not be able to observe everything perfectly, but we can fight a good fight. If we do this our prize awaits us at the end. "...if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments" (Matthew 19:17).

Paul said in (Heb. 6:10-11) (v.10) For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. (v.11) And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to full assurance of hope unto the end: God is not going to forget your works, nor your labor of love toward his name. But you need to show these same works diligence to have full assurance of hope unto the end. Hope of what? Hope of eternal life.

LOl...you wish...
Was the Jerusalem Council confused?

Acts 15:23-29 NASB
23 and they sent this letter by them,
“The apostles and the brethren who are elders, to the brethren in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia who are from the Gentiles, greetings.
24 “Since we have heard that some of our number to whom we gave no instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls,
25 it seemed good to us, having become of one mind, to select men to send to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
27 “Therefore we have sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will also report the same things by word of mouth.
28 “For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials:
29 that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication
; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell.”

My
Your posting is not makig any sense at all, I mean, DUDE, do you even think before you post?? I have tried to be nice about this, I bolded and turned red and they tell any7 studied man that you are not studied and do not think about what you write. Scripture never disagrees with scripture and you have illustrated that it does but you hhave erredthisy, only because you have violated the Number One Rule for understanding what God has spoken to us. If i use the scriptures the way you have I can prove the world is flat.

I have been nice and have not been as direct as the scriptures teach us to be but your post is telling me that you believe we must keep the Law and that must not obey the Law. WRONG AGAIN.

I agree with the verses you quoting, but you out of context. I'm quoting out of KJV. Paul said in (Rom. 13:7-10) (v.7) Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. (v.8) Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. That’s the biblical definition of love, the keeping of God’s law. And you thought love was kissing and hugging and rolling around in bed. (v.9) For this, THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, THOU SHALT NOT KILL, THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, THOU SHALT NOT COVET; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF. (v.10) Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. And that is what God’s holy commandments are all about; the first four tells you how to love God and the last six tells you how to love your neighbor. If you love your God you will not do anything to offend him, like having other gods before him.

You will do as he says like remember the sabbath day to keep it holy on the seventh day of the week. If you love him you will obey him when he tells you not to eat certain meats etc… And the same goes for your fellow man, if you love your neighbor you wouldn’t steal from him, you wouldn’t kill him, you wouldn’t try and sleep with his wife and so on and so forth. This is God’s definition of love and it is perfect in its ways. So if you say that you know God, but you don’t keep his commandments, lets see what the Lord had specially written for you.

Let's go into (1 John 2:3-4) (v.3) And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. (v.4) he that saith
My
Your posting is not makig any sense at all, I mean, DUDE, do you even think before you post?? I have tried to be nice about this, I bolded and turned red and they tell any7 studied man that you are not studied and do not think about what you write.
, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
Aw, balona! I pray you are young in the faith because you are trying to make a case that is not there and that means, you are wrong.

II Peter 1:5 kjv
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

James 2:17 kjv
Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

You know a man is just about to say anything.
And
Another man standing by will just about say anything in return.

It is not about what we say, but what God is saying.

We are saved by belief on what Jesus did on the cross.

The faith (not the man) needs to be alive. Add to faith all these things.

We are not adding to ourselves works. We are allowing the faith we have to be alive. We are helping faith be what it should be. Not look at what I am doing.
To faith
Virtue
To virture
Knowledge
To knowledge
Temperance
To temperance
Patience
To patience
godliness

Now I am sure I missed a point somewhere. I suggest though that our ego is about done in by the time godliness hits.
Romans 7:25

Redneck
eddif

You absolutely correct, but understand that the first death of man Jesus call sleep, it's the second death that we have to really worried about. Lets go into Revelation 20: 12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

We still must obey all of God's laws and statues of conduct, from the Ten Commandments to the least commandment. We cannot choose to obey one without obeying the others. For instance, if it's still good to pay tithes (as many preach), then it is still good to obey God's dietary law (not eating pork, catfish, etc...Leviticus 11: 1-47. Similarly, you cannot purposely trip a blind person (Leviticus 19:14) and claim to love your neighbor as yourself. Neither can you break God's Sabbath days (Leviticus 19:30) and claim to love God with all your heart, soul and mind. Many fight to uphold man's traditional holidays (Sunday the 1st day as the Sabbath, Christmas, Easter and Halloween), but few are obeying God's Holy Days (Saturday the 7th day Sabbath, the Passover, Pentecost, etc…Leviticus 23: 1-44. All of God's laws are still good and must be obeyed if we want eternal life. We might not be able to observe everything perfectly, but we can fight a good fight. If we do this our prize awaits us at the end. "...if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments" (Matthew 19:17).

Paul said in (Heb. 6:10-11) (v.10) For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. (v.11) And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to full assurance of hope unto the end: God is not going to forget your works, nor your labor of love toward his name. But you need to show these same works diligence to have full assurance of hope unto the end. Hope of what? Hope of eternal life.

Can you provide some New Testament scriptures that instruct the Church how to observe the Sabbath today?

JLB

The law of loving one another. A good tree doesn't bare bad fruit.

I agree with a good tree doesn't bare bad fruit, but when you speak of the law of love Paul break that down in (Rom. 13:7-10) (v.7) Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour. (v.8) Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. That’s the biblical definition of love, the keeping of God’s law. (v.9) For this, THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, THOU SHALT NOT KILL, THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, THOU SHALT NOT COVET; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF. (v.10) Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. And that is what God’s holy commandments are all about; the first four tells you how to love God and the last six tells you how to love your neighbor. If you love your God you will not do any thing to offend him, like having other gods before him. You will do as he says like remember the sabbath day to keep it holy on the seventh day of the week. If you love him you will obey him when he tells you not to eat certain meats etc… And the same goes for your fellow man, if you love your neighbor you wouldn’t steal from him, you wouldn’t kill him, you wouldn’t try and sleep with his wife and so on and so forth. This is God’s definition of love and it is perfect in its ways. So if you say that you know God, but you don’t keep his commandments, lets see what the Lord had specially written for you.

Your posting is not makig any sense at all, I mean, DUDE, do you even think before you post?? I have tried to be nice about this, I bolded and turned red and they tell any7 studied man that you are not studied and do not think about what you write. Scripture never disagrees with scripture and you have illustrated that it does but you hhave erredthisy, only because you have violated the Number One Rule for understanding what God has spoken to us. If i use the scriptures the way you have I can prove the world is flat.

I have been nice and have not been as direct as the scriptures teach us to be but your post is telling me that you believe we must keep the Law and that must not obey the Law. WRONG AGAIN.

Didn't Paul say in (Rom. 7:7,12) (v.7) What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, THOU SHALT NOT COVET. Paul asked a question, is the law sin? He said God forbid, he said the only way that he knew what sin was, was by the law. (v.12) Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. Why in the world would a Christian want to do away with something that God said is holy. (Rom. 4:15) Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression. If there is no law there is no sin. Which mean we can do as we please when we please! People we must realize everybody has laws by which we must operate by, the governments have laws, your job have laws, your card games have laws, even the boy scouts have laws. But now you are going to try and convince yourselves that the creator of the world has no laws by which we must live. (Rom. 5:13) (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. If there is no law, there is no sin! (1 Cor. 14:37) If any man thinks himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. Paul didn’t come preaching and teaching his own thing, but he abided in the doctrine of Christ. (Rom. 3:20) Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sights for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Read your Bible from Genesis to Revelation and pray for understanding.

Back