Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How can the Bible be divinely inspired?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
T

tentex25

I have been reading a book called "the everlasting hills," by thomas Cahill. In it cahill talks about how Paul wrote Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galations, 1 Thesselonians, and Philemon. But Ephesians, 2 Thessolonians may not have been written by Paul, but by a close follower. But even more interesting is that Titus, 1 timothy and hebrews were all written decades after Paul's death. How can the "word of god" be inspired, but god, but not written by who is credited with its authorship. Cahill then goes on to tell that Titus, 1 Timothy, and Hebrews perversely contradict Paul's theology. HOW CAN THIS BE THE WORD OF GOD IF IT IS ALL MISTAKES LIKE THIS? How can this be credited as "divine?" Anyone care to explain?

I don't have a relationship with this Cahill character but I do have one with God - through Christ his son. So I'm not inclined to listen to cahill in deference to to what God shows me.

Yes it's possible that some men may have credited the authorship of some books incorrectly, but that is not God's business surely.

However, irrespective of the authorship I don't see any inconsistency in what is written.

Perhaps you can give an example or two of cahill's claims.

I will post an example or two, but why do you seem so offended saying "this Cahill character." Is there something wrong? Why can't you question things to find absolute truth? Is there something wrong with that? I am glad you have a relationship with God, but I doubt that He minds a search for truth.

Cahill is a screwball, but other than that he is a swell fellow! 8-)

tentex25 said:
I will post an example or two, but why do you seem so offended saying "this Cahill character." Is there something wrong? Why can't you question things to find absolute truth? Is there something wrong with that? I am glad you have a relationship with God, but I doubt that He minds a search for truth.

I'm not offended by Cahill. I've never heard of him and the use of the word 'character' is just a colloquialism.

As far as the truth is concerned - I do question things - in fact as I have said on this board in the past, I have a passion for truth. I have also said that the truth is not determined by what I or anyone else thinks. It stands alone. So while our perception of the truth may vary, truth never changes. The question is, how does one KNOW the truth?

Solo said:

Solo, tell me what you know about Cahill. I know he is very smart when it comes to translating lagnuages of the Bible, but other than his books I don't know much about him. Care to share?

Solo said:

Solo, why is Cahill a screwball? What are his personal beliefs? I don't know much about him other than he critiques Jesus and most of the Bible. Please share.

Mutz has pretty much 'summed' it up.

Regardless of mistakes that may have been made determining authorship of the books contained within 'The Word', those that accept and KNOW God have all confidence that it was 'inspired' rather than simply recorded. And if one realizes and 'accepts' that God IS The Creator of heaven and earth and EVERYTHING contained within, is it really difficult to understand and believe that our present Bible WAS inspired and secured BY Our Creator?

And here is a 'simple' proof of The Word being 'inspired' from above:

Of ALL the writtings at our disposal, past and present, there is NOTHING that compares to the 'wisdom' of The Holy Bible. A wisdom that is BEYOND 'the flesh'. A wisdom that seems but 'folly' to those that follow 'the flesh'. Once one begins to read and understand The Word, there is NO LONGER any room for doubt.

And beyond the 'wisdom' of the Bible, there is the PROPHECY. People are 'impressed' with the prophetic writtings of Nostradamus. Out of THOUSANDS of his quatrains, only 'a couple' are EVEN CLOSE. Yet in The Holy Bible, we have TOTALLY accurate prophecy that dates back NOT HUNDREDS, BUT THOUSANDS OF YEARS. Events, governments, peoples, nations, all these things able to be predicted by mere men? Not POSSIBLE.

So, I have little doubts that the authenticity of every author is 'set in stone'. Even the first five books, (Torah), are not possibly PROVABLE in their authorship. For HOW could Moses have possibly written about his OWN death. But rest assured that The Word WAS/IS divinely inspired. Read it for yourself and 'see' if you don't 'come away' with this 'assurance'.

MEC

tentex25 said:
I have been reading a book called "the everlasting hills," by thomas Cahill. In it cahill talks about how Paul wrote Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galations, 1 Thesselonians, and Philemon. But Ephesians, 2 Thessolonians may not have been written by Paul, but by a close follower. But even more interesting is that Titus, 1 timothy and hebrews were all written decades after Paul's death. How can the "word of god" be inspired, but god, but not written by who is credited with its authorship. Cahill then goes on to tell that Titus, 1 Timothy, and Hebrews perversely contradict Paul's theology. HOW CAN THIS BE THE WORD OF GOD IF IT IS ALL MISTAKES LIKE THIS? How can this be credited as "divine?" Anyone care to explain?

Authorship of particular letters and books are not what makes a writing inspired by God. For example, the actual Gospel "written" by Matthew is inspired by God - but that the author was indeed the apostle Matthew is NOT inspired - but considered a Church tradition. In much the same way, Hebrews may have been written by Paul, while other Church tradition credits it to Barnabas. Again, the Church recognizes the Word of God in the writing itself, not WHO the human author was.

The Church is merely verifying the writing, not the human author, when it considered the Canon of Scriptures...

Of course, this applies even MORE so in the Old Testament. What is important is that the Church identifies the Word of God, comparing what God has taught to the written word of an author, verifying its authenticity (or refuting it when someone claims to write in the name of God but does not write what the community understands to be the Word of God)

As to the Pastorals vs. Thessalonians, one should note that it certainly is possible that Paul wrote them all. We must recognize that man's understanding of God changes in time - and Paul, even in the letters that are universally attributed to him, develops his theology slowly. Also, the Church was evolving as well during the first few generations. An example of this can be clearly seen when studying "authority" in the NT. Note the change from Acts 1-5, to Acts 15, to the Pastorals. If we accept that Acts 1-5 is the nascent stage of Christianity, Acts 15 perhaps 20 years later, and the Pastorals another 20 years later, it all falls into place - the role of authority developed as the Church grew and the Spirit moved it.

Thus, it would not be unusual for a theologian such as Paul to grow in understanding between Thessalonians and Hebrews or the Pastorals.

Regards

tentex25 said:
Solo, why is Cahill a screwball? What are his personal beliefs? I don't know much about him other than he critiques Jesus and most of the Bible. Please share.
Do some research on Cahill and you will get your own opinion of him. Based on what I have read concerning him, he is a screwball with no idea of what truth is.

Biblical inspiration...

The title of this thread intrigues me, so pardon me if I go in a slightly different direct and ask the question...

How do you know that the Bible is inspired, from Genesis to the Book of Revelation? Who told you? Why do you believe this?

Sorry, that was a series of questions and I don't mean to be too pointy here, but these are profound questions that I have pondered for years, and have come to a conclusion as to why I believe the Bible is inspired.

Be very careful of circular reasoning here, as in "The bible says it is inspired by God, therefore, the Bible is inspired by God."

Also, the devout Muslem will say that the Q'ram is divinely inspired as well.

So who is right and why?
'
God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Pillar and Foundation of Truth, the Church. (1 Tim 3:15)

Re: Biblical inspiration...

William Putnam said:
The title of this thread intrigues me, so pardon me if I go in a slightly different direct and ask the question...

How do you know that the Bible is inspired, from Genesis to the Book of Revelation? Who told you? Why do you believe this?

Sorry, that was a series of questions and I don't mean to be too pointy here, but these are profound questions that I have pondered for years, and have come to a conclusion as to why I believe the Bible is inspired.

Be very careful of circular reasoning here, as in "The bible says it is inspired by God, therefore, the Bible is inspired by God."

Also, the devout Muslem will say that the Q'ram is divinely inspired as well.

So who is right and why?
'
God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

Pillar and Foundation of Truth, the Church. (1 Tim 3:15)
The Holy Spirit told me, did He not tell you?! :wink:

Re: Biblical inspiration...

Solo said:
The Holy Spirit told me, did He not tell you?! :wink:

sign_rofl.gif
leb.gif

1 Timothy 3:15

Exactly! :biggrin

God speaks through His Church!

God speaks through His Word! Hebrews 4:12 :biggrin

Taught by the Holy Spirit! 1 John 2:27 :biggrin

For doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16 :biggrin

God speaks through His Word! Hebrews 4:12

Indeed He does! Is it only inspired when written down? :-D

Taught by the Holy Spirit! 1 John 2:27

Yes sir!

For doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3:16

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness

Indeed! All of Scripture is inspired! All not only! :biggrin

Back