Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How important is Prayer?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
One of the shortest scriptures in the Holy Bible, yet, one that I think is extremely important is:

Pray without ceasing. I Thessalonians 5.17

The Apostle Paul is telling us not to stop praying. Why? Why is prayer so important? Because while we are walking in the flesh we are taking a test to prove our FAITH, and prayer is the #1 exercise in proving our faith. If we do not have a prayer life with our Heavenly Father, through Christ, we are either non-believers or hypocrites and I would'nt give a plug-nickel for their chances at eternal life. As it is written, it is impossible to please God without faith. I believe God not only wants to hear from each of us, He EXPECTS to hear from each of us. Is He asking too much of us? No, He is not, for after all, He is our REAL Father, our Creator. Most of us do not hesitate to give love and respect to our earthly fathers, how much more then should we give love and respect to our Heavenly Father? This life is all about finding faith, and prayer is FAITH IN MOTION. I think our Father is waiting to hear from some of us.

Then shall ye call upon Me, and ye shall go and pray unto Me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall search for Me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29.12

Is there a way to seek God, ask of Him, or knock on His door, besides prayer?

The only avenue we have to speak to God is prayer, through Jesus Christ. There is no other meaningful way to get in touch with Him.

Jesus is our mediator to the Father and just wants us to sit and talk with him like we would sit and talk with our best friend. Our prayer language needs to be in this same way. When you have a need just talk to him and speak from your heart. We do not have to be repetitious in our prayers as Jesus already heard you the first time. Pray once and then stand strong in faith to know God has heard your prayer and then just keep praising him and thanking him for his answer to your prayer even though you might not see an answer yet, but know that God in his timing will answer you. Gods answer may not be what we want to hear at times and his answer can be no at times, but God knows what is better for us then we do and we need to trust in this.

Matthew 6:5 and when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.
Matthew 6:6 but thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Matthew 6:7 but when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Matthew 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Jesus is our mediator to the Father and just wants us to sit and talk with him like we would sit and talk with our best friend. Our prayer language needs to be in this same way. When you have a need just talk to him and speak from your heart. We do not have to be repetitious in our prayers as Jesus already heard you the first time. Pray once and then stand strong in faith to know God has heard your prayer and then just keep praising him and thanking him for his answer to your prayer even though you might not see an answer yet, but know that God in his timing will answer you. Gods answer may not be what we want to hear at times and his answer can be no at times, but God knows what is better for us then we do and we need to trust in this.

Matthew 6:5 and when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward.
Matthew 6:6 but thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Matthew 6:7 but when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Matthew 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

for his glory:

Great verses. Another verse I think is very relevant to the subject is Hebrews 7.25: the Lord Jesus 'ever liveth to make intercession' for those who come to God through Him.

Blessings.

One of the shortest scriptures in the Holy Bible, yet, one that I think is extremely important is:

The Apostle Paul is telling us not to stop praying. Why? Why is prayer so important? Because while we are walking in the flesh we are taking a test to prove our FAITH, and prayer is the #1 exercise in proving our faith. If we do not have a prayer life with our Heavenly Father, through Christ, we are either non-believers or hypocrites and I would'nt give a plug-nickel for their chances at eternal life. As it is written, it is impossible to please God without faith. I believe God not only wants to hear from each of us, He EXPECTS to hear from each of us. Is He asking too much of us? No, He is not, for after all, He is our REAL Father, our Creator. Most of us do not hesitate to give love and respect to our earthly fathers, how much more then should we give love and respect to our Heavenly Father? This life is all about finding faith, and prayer is FAITH IN MOTION. I think our Father is waiting to hear from some of us.

Then shall ye call upon Me, and ye shall go and pray unto Me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek Me, and find Me, when ye shall search for Me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29.12

Prayer is power.. Without prayer we are defenseless and the enemy will know it. Prayers brings us into contact with God as we tell him our needs, tell him about the needs of others and above all helps us to communicate and draw closer to him. Throughout the bible we are admonished to pray. In these difficult days, we have to pray because unless we do we have no hope.

Great comments here. We are all in agreement, not only on the importance of prayer, but on the POWER of prayer. It is our #1 defense against the devil trying to make inroads into our lives. Thanks to everyone.

As for me, I will call upon God: and the LORD shall save me. Evening, and at morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud. And He shall hear my voice. Psalms 55.16

Prayer is so important He helps us with it!

Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
Romans 8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

wonderfully said

Pray once and then stand strong in faith to know God has heard your prayer and then just keep praising him and thanking him for his answer to your prayer even though you might not see an answer yet, but know that God in his timing will answer you. Gods answer may not be what we want to hear at times and his answer can be no at times, but God knows what is better for us then we do and we need to trust in this. --for_his_glory----------

I agree with all but the PRAY ONCE. I am an intercessor. I keep on praying until God releases me from praying. I don't agree with the notion that
we only need to pray once. But I do praise and thank Him for the answer prior to receiving. We are told in Mt. 6:32 that God is aware of our needs.
But He wants us to ask with persistance. I do not believe in vain repetitions, but I am not beyond begging and pleading for healing when in dire need.

Luk_11:8 I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.

Pray once and then stand strong in faith to know God has heard your prayer and then just keep praising him and thanking him for his answer to your prayer even though you might not see an answer yet, but know that God in his timing will answer you. Gods answer may not be what we want to hear at times and his answer can be no at times, but God knows what is better for us then we do and we need to trust in this. --for_his_glory----------

I agree with all but the PRAY ONCE. I am an intercessor. I keep on praying until God releases me from praying. I don't agree with the notion that
we only need to pray once. But I do praise and thank Him for the answer prior to receiving. We are told in Mt. 6:32 that God is aware of our needs.
But He wants us to ask with persistance. I do not believe in vain repetitions, but I am not beyond begging and pleading for healing when in dire need.

Luk_11:8 I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.

Carolyn:

Yes, it's persevering prayer that God looks for in the believer's heart.

Paul could say to the Thessalonians: 'Pray without ceasing'. This is linked with ongoing joyfulness and prayerfulness, in chapter 5 of 1 Thessalonians; this same linkage is also seen in the 4th chapter of Paul's Epistle to the Philippians.

The Lord Jesus, even now, is described as One who 'ever liveth to make intercession' (Hebrews 7.25). A great example for his followers to emulate.

(Did you see the new Christian heavy metal thread, Carolyn?)

Blessings.

Read the bible daily, there are many messages and reading God's inspired word is a great way to knock on His door.

1 Thess 4:11
And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;

2 Timothy 2:15
<sup>15 </sup>Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The study of the word of God that He might understand and obey it was the way to show himself approved of God. When God approved, He would be with and bless and strengthen him.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back