Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

How long does your prayer last?

Praising God by worship songs would delight Him , and for sure He knows already what we would pray

Spot-on ! :thumbsup

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

My prayers are rather short and sweet, but my personal worship times are pretty long - like 1 to 2 or more hours.

Worhipping God through songs is usually unique. I do not know why. People do not get tired here at all. You kind of get exta-ordinary energy and enthusiasm that sustain you throughout the period.

I think God reacts differently when we worship Him through songs. No wonder why we have sayings such as: Prayers move mountains but praises (songs - music) move God.

....And without season.
-----
Even with repetition:lol :sing :guitar :pray

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you'll think I'm mad but when I first read the question my immediate thought was that you meant - 'how long does your prayer last.... before it expires'. For example, if you pray for something on a Tuesday, does it last a week or should you pray for the same thing on Thursday as well? Or should you pray for it every half hour?

Could God get pretty fed up hearing 'God bless mummy and daddy' millions of times every day?

M't:6:5: And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
M't:6:6: But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
M't:6:7: But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
M't:6:8: Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. KJV

Says it all right there WIP and I will add this to the great vs. you already posted.
Mat 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
Mat 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

There are many types of prayers whether they be for yourself, for that of others or just that of thanksgiving. Our prayers should be of placing our petition before the Lord in simplicity and end with thanksgiving as we wait upon the Lord who already knows our needs even before we ask. When your prayer becomes repetitious then it's a good time to end your praying as God already heard you once and never needs reminding. There is no time limit or proper words to speak while praying, but one important thing to remember is to not have aught against anyone before you pray as if you do not forgive, your Father in heaven will not forgive you your trespasses, Mark 11:22-26.

I'm sure you'll think I'm mad but when I first read the question my immediate thought was that you meant - 'how long does your prayer last.... before it expires'. For example, if you pray for something on a Tuesday, does it last a week or should you pray for the same thing on Thursday as well? Or should you pray for it every half hour?

Could God get pretty fed up hearing 'God bless mummy and daddy' millions of times every day?

I did a thread on this subject. It seems to me that praying a thrillion times over a particular point marks a lack of faith. I'm not saying this is absolutely right. Faith! Faith! Faith! Works!

After all, God wants us to remind Him of His promises to us (not that He has forgotten).

I understand what you're saying, Classik. There are times, when asked to lead others in prayer, I pray what I'm moved to pray, without adding in all the superfluous words that others tend to use to lengthen the prayer time. God knows your heart, and he knows your words. He isn't going to be offended if you're able to say in 2 minutes what it takes someone else to say in 20.

We each have our own prayer style, just as we each have our own talk style.

And if someone acts as though embarrassed because you don't run away with time while praying, that is an issue that person must contend. It's not your issue. Don't accept any self-doubts about the prayer time. Merely rejoice that you have a voice with which to pray, a mind with which to consider your prayers, and a heart that belongs to God.

:wave

Nicely said! :)

Classik

As long as it takes. It's a relationship. Like any other conversation it lasts as long as both have something to say to one another, then it stops. Sometimes nothing is said. Just the presence is sufficient. There's nothing mystical about it other than one is communing within the venue of the supernatural rather than the natural. The worst thing you can do is to TRY to pray. That never comes out right. Would you go up to a friend and just force yourself to have a conversation with him just for conversations sake?

I used to know this guy who changed personalities when he prayed. Not in a derogatory sense. He was normally this fast talking fun loving guy laughing all the time. But when he prayed, he became this very serious fellow, talking very slow and with purposeful intent. It used to drive other people crazy because they wanted something light and short so they could get on with whatever was at hand. But to me, it was remarkable. And it affected my own understanding of what prayer to a holy God really means.

FC

Back