Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How many “churches” are there?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Cnkw3

The Bible tells us that there is only ONE body. Eph 4. And that the body is the church so the Bible tells us that there is only ONE church. So why do I see a different “church” on about every corner in America? Did God start all of these “churches”? He said there was one!
The key is....how can a person identify the one true church of God. The one he built. The one he purchased with his own blood. Ac 20:28. You can identify the church the same way you can identify anything else. By its description. If someone stole your car and you wanted the police to find it they would ask you to describe it. You would then give them the make, model, color, license plate, any stickers or other dents or identifying marks. They then can know EXACTLY what to look for. Why can’t we do the same thing with the church?
Let’s try and start with Origin. Jesus said he would build his church. Mt 16:19.
1. When did Jesus build HIS church? It belongs to him and no one else.
We will look this up in the next post.

Let’s look at some facts.......
Matt 16:18,19 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Jesus promised to build his church and he also promised Peter and the apostles that he would give them the keys to the kingdom/church. We know the kingdom and church are the same thing in this context because why would Jesus build one thing but give the keys to something different?

Mk 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
People in this generation he was speaking to would see the kingdom come with power. So it must have been coming soon.

Ac 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
The apostles were promised that they would receive power as they waited in Jerusalem. This is exactly what happened some 10 days later on Pentecost. Then after they preached the word of God and some of the people believed, repented and were baptized in water for remission of their sins, the text tells us this....
Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
If the Lord is adding people to the church then it must be in existence at that time. All of this evidence above shows us that Jesus built his church beginning on Pentecost in acts 2. From that day forward the Lord has been adding the obedient to it for 2000 years.
So....if the church you worship with was built/started in 1760 or 1825 or some other date after AD 30ish then you are not worshipping with the church that Jesus built. The ONE church of Eph 4.

What about the designation of the church that Jesus built?
There is no where in the NT where we find the church designated as baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, episcopal, Calvary, Christian, or any other non Biblical designation. These sects had not been started in the first century. They did not come for hundreds of years. The only designations we see for the church Jesus built was....church of God, church of Christ, church of the firstborn, body of Christ,(which is the church of Christ) and most of the time the local “churches of Christ” were just called by their location. The church at Ephesus for example. When people put “church of Christ” on their sign they are just telling everybody that passes by that the group of people that meets here belong to Jesus. That’s what “church of Christ” means. It is a called out body of believers that belong to Christ. I can’t believe that anyone would not want that designation on their sign. Do you want people to know that you are identifying with Christ or some man made sect? This is what it comes down to.
If Jesus built a Mercedes could you bring back a Honda and say....this belongs to him too. Or what about a ford, chevy, Toyota, Lexus, etc. can you bring these and say...these belong to him too. It doesn’t work that way. So why can a man create a “Baptist” church and then say...this belongs to Christ too? Doesn’t work that way.

What about organization?
How was the church Jesus built organized? Did it have priests? A pope? Arch bishops? Nuns. Fathers? One man pastor rule? Women leading in the worship service? No to all of these!
We see that certain individuals were evangelist or preachers. Then we find that there was a plurality of elders/bishops/pastors (these are all the same office). There was deacons within the church as well. The qualifications for these offices can be found in 1 Tim 3 and Titus 1. They were all men. There was not a one man head pastor or “lead pastor”. There was not one man overseeing many different congregations. The early church did have apostles which held, obviously, a special office, but they died off and their office with them. So, if the church you worship with does not follow the pattern laid out in the NT for organization then you are not in the church Jesus built but a man made sect.
If not? Why not?
Can man make up his own way to organize the church that Jesus built and then say....oh we belong to Jesus. How can you belong to Jesus when you are doing it your own way and not his way. We are told that Jesus is the head of the church (Eph 1:22,23) which means he gets to decide these things and not you nor any other man.

How about worship?
Does your church ask you to “tithe”? Well, then it’s not the church Jesus built. Nowhere in the NT is the Lords church ever asked to tithe. If so then show me. This would be your church trying to go back to the old law and get you to give more money. The church was commanded
to lay by in store on the first day of the week. 1 cor 16. Does your church pass the plate on Wed? Tues? Then it’s not the church Jesus built.
Does your church use musical instruments? The command for the NT church was to sing! Eph 5, Col 3. It’s my understanding also that there were no musical instruments in the church until many, many years later. The early NT church DID NOT use instruments in their worship. Why do you get to today? God didn’t authorize it. It must be something that man decided they would do because they wanted to.
I see, in many churches, women up on stage singing solos. Please show me where women performed, like it’s some concert, for the whole congregation in the NT church. If your church does this then it’s not the one Jesus built. All this does is glorify the individual. It gives NO glory to God.
Do you partake of the Lords supper on the first day of the week? This is the only day we see the early church doing it. If you do it on some other day then it’s not the church Jesus built.
If Christ is the head of the church then he and he alone has the authority to tell us when and how to do these things. We are told to follow examples. Many times, Paul said to follow their example. “You have us for an example”. So if we follow the early churches example will we do any if the things mentioned above? No.

How about doctrine?
Does your church teach....salvation by faith only?
The Bible doesn’t teach that. I have spent the better part of the last 2 months getting people to show me EXACTLY at what point the Bible, under the new covenant, tells us when sins are removed. The Bible is very clear and plain on this point but nobody except maybe 2 gave me book chapter and verse for this.
Mk 16:16. Salvation happens after baptism.
Acts 2:38. Remission of sins happens after baptism
Acts 22:16. Sins are washed away at baptism.
Acts 22:16. Calling on the name of the Lord happens at baptism.
Rom 6. Newness of life happens when one comes out of the water of baptism.
These are clear and plain passages that tell us exactly at what point our sins are removed but somehow we still have 90% of “Christian churches” teaching that it happens at some other point. I just heard a guy preaching on the radio and he had his listeners who believe in Jesus to say some prayer and right after that he said....if you just said this prayer then your sins are forgiven. WHERE DOES THE BIBLE EVER SAY OR GIVE AN EXAMPLE OF THAT? This man does NOT belong to the church Jesus built. Why? Because he just made up his own doctrine. The Bible clearly says...if you DO NOT abide in the doctrine of Christ....you DO NOT have God! 2 Jn 9

Does your church have some baptismal ceremony to baptize a few who were “saved” weeks earlier? Then your church is not the one Jesus built.
If anybody can show me ONE example of someone NOT being immediately baptized then I’ll change my position. Just ONE! Every single person or persons in the NT that heard the word was IMMEDIATELY baptized upon reaching water. Matter of fact we don’t even have an example of anybody eating or drinking anything until AFTER they were baptized.

Does your church sprinkle babies? Then it’s not the church Jesus built.
Does your church “pour” for baptism? Then it’s not the church Jesus built. His church “buried” people in baptism. Rom 6; Col 2.
They didn’t sprinkle or pour. Neither one of those are a burial.

Does your church teach....Jesus is coming back to set up his kingdom on earth?
This isn’t what the Bible teaches. Matt 24 is very easy to prove that it is one of the most misused and abused passages and is distorted to teach false doctrine. Rev 20 is also misused and abused. 1000 years is supposed to be taken literally? Does this mean that when the Bible says....God owns the cattle on a thousand hills, that he doesn’t own the cattle on the 1001th hill?
People use and abuse the clear teaching of the scripture to build their own fanciful doctrine.
The Bible clearly prophesied in Jeremiah that....
Jer 22:28-30 Is this man Coniah a despised broken idol? is he a vessel wherein is no pleasure? wherefore are they cast out, he and his seed, and are cast into a land which they know not? O earth, earth, earth, hear the word of the Lord. Thus saith the Lord, Write ye this man childless, a man that shall not prosper in his days: for no man of his seed shall prosper, sitting upon the throne of David, and ruling any more in Judah.
Coniah is listed in the genealogy of Christ. No man, of his seed, will rule anymore upon the throne of David in Judah? Where is Jerusalem? In Judah. God does not lie so why does anyone believe Christ will come back to rule on David’s throne from Jerusalem when God clearly says that he won’t?
Does your church teach...The Jews today are still Gods people?
The Bible does not teach this. The Bible actually calls the church that Jesus built....the Israel of God. If you are a part of the church Jesus built then you now are in a covenant relationship with God and are one of God’s special people. It’s not the “Jews”! You would now be a “Jew” inwardly and not outward. Rom 2.

Last edited:
Does your church teach.....miraculous spiritual gifts are still available today?
Then your church is not the one Jesus built.
Does your “pastor” stand up there during a worship service and tell you that these miraculous gifts are still available today but THEN he doesn’t demonstrate ANYTHING. (unless he starts jabbering a few consonants and vowels together making some strange noise.)
Did Paul ever do that? Paul demonstrated every chance he got. This was his way of proving to people that he was legit. 2 cor 12:12. Rom 1:11
Does your pastor “prove” he is legit?

There is just ONE church. Eph 4 This one church will follow the same pattern Jesus gave us in the first century. There are many commands for the church to be unified. To be one in mind.
1 cor 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
There is no way the church can do the above unless the designation, organization, worship and teaching are ALL THE SAME! This is why we have so many different “churches”. There is NO unity in “Christianity” today. It is just division. And this is what Paul condemned above. He said....let there be NO DIVISIONS AMONG YOU. Speak the same thing, be perfectly joined together. Same mind!....same judgement!
Is this “Christianity” today? NO!
This is directly attributed to people who do not love the word and stick to what it says and the clear examples it gives. People say....”I love the word” then turn around and make up their own way of doing things....like a sinners prayer to be saved. This leads to division which Paul clearly condemns in 1 cor 1. This is why I always ask for book chapter and verse for any position people present to me. This is the ONLY way we can have unity!

why do I see a different “church” on about every corner in America? Did God start all of these “churches”? He said there was one!
What does ' church ' mean? Is there only one meaning to church.
What do you know about church history, as to why different 'churches' formed?
if the church you worship with was built/started in 1760 or 1825 or some other date after AD 30ish then you are not worshipping with the church that Jesus built
So you are admitting that what ever church you attend is not the church Jesus built.
here is no where in the NT where we find the church designated as baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, episcopal, Calvary, Christian, or any other non Biblical designation.
Yes just as there is no chuch of Christ in the bible, you to worship in a false church.
How can you belong to Jesus when you are doing it your own way and not his way
Well you are.
Yes that is cheap, but please think, does Jesus want a body of rule following lawyers or people who act because they love him.
It’s my understanding also that there were no musical instruments in the church until many, many years later.
Possible because they didn't have any.
Look at the rules for temple worship, there they have musians playing in worship and for the glory of God.

Look at all these regulations and rules you insist upon.
What happened to Jesus's comment to the women at the well, that we are to worship in Spirit and in Truth.

I'm still looking. Let me know if anyone finds it...

1 Corinthians 14:26-31
26What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a psalm or a teaching, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. All of these must be done to build up the church.

27If anyone speaks in a tongue, two, or at most three, should speak in turn, and someone must interpret. 28But if there is no interpreter, he should remain silent in the church and speak only to himself and God.

29Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30And if a revelation comes to someone who is seated, the first speaker should stop. 31For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged.

26What then shall we say, brothers? When you come together, everyone has a psalm or a teaching, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. All of these must be done to build up the church.
As close a church service to this I have attended was what was called " testimony night " , usually on a Wednesday maybe once every 6 weeks . The pastor or other church leader would MC (no preaching) the service and the Christians that had something to say of how God was working in their life would take turns standing and speaking . I have participated in this type of service and it can be uplifting :) .

I imagine there are a more than a few home churches using 1Cor14:26-31 as their framework for worship .
27If anyone speaks in a tongue, two, or at most three, should speak in turn, and someone must interpret. 28But if there is no interpreter, he should remain silent in the church and speak only to himself and God.
Yes , this exactly how it should be . Usually only one speaks in tongues per service and by all means not every service , I have been in service where two spoke in tongues, but that is not very often .
Praying you find it :pray!

29Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should weigh carefully what is said. 30And if a revelation comes to someone who is seated, the first speaker should stop. 31For you can all prophesy in turn so that everyone may be instructed and encouraged.
It might be quite difficult as the world has entered the church. The culture has become quite narcissistic and so are many in the church. Preaching focus on you and how you feel. Music continually tells about you and how you feel not to mention boasting of how great you are. Your feelings are to be respected at the cost of truth.

Question for Cnkw3

You’re church has no priest?

Christ is an eternal priest
Heb 7:17
Christ is high priest
heb 8:1

If there is a high priest there must be low priests right?

All Christians are priests 1 Peter 2:9
Not ministering priests according to the order of melchisedec under Christ the high priest

The three fold new covenant priesthood:

High priesthood: “Jesus Christ”
acts 10:14
heb 5:1
heb 8:1
heb 8:3

Ministerial priesthood: “apostles & their successors, and those they ordain” (low priests)
Mk 3:14
Jn 15:16
Jn 20:23
acts 1:15-26
acts 14:23
Acts 16:4
Rom 15:16
1 cor 9:14
1 Tim 3:1-2
1 Tim 2:7
1 Tim 4:14
Phil 1:1
James 5:14

Royal priesthood: “baptized members of Jesus Christ”
1 pet 2:5-9

The new covenant was a reformation of the mosaic covenant so it has many similarities. Heb 9:10

Old Israel:

Ex 19:6
And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

New Israel:

1 pet 2:5-9
5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Gal 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

27 For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband.

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

Gal 6:16
And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Apostles were ordained priests by Jesus Christ at the last supper:
1 cor 11:24-26
do this in memory of me. offer this in memory of me, the Passover was a sacrifice. Ex 12:27 1 cor 5:6-8

Worship:

Adoration: rev 7-12
Propitiatory reparation: Jn 1:29
rom 3:25 1 Jn 2:2 1 Jn 4:10
1 Jn 2:2 1 Jn 4:10
Thanksgiving: Phil 4:6
Petition: Phil 4:6

Spirit and truth:

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Offering the eternal sacrifice of Christ for the salvation of all men!
Thanks

You don't need a church to just talk to GOD. Even you are go to other churches the church will not save you. It's just a place for worshiping GOD.

Does your church ask you to “tithe”? Well, then it’s not the church Jesus built. Nowhere in the NT is the Lords church ever asked to tithe. If so then show me. This would be your church trying to go back to the old law and get you to give more money. The church was commanded
to lay by in store on the first day of the week. 1 cor 16. Does your church pass the plate on Wed? Tues? Then it’s not the church Jesus built.

Tithing was introduced to man way back in the OT. And we all know that God does not change. Now, some new parameters were introduced with the new covenant and Jesus's death & resuresction. He paid the price for us and so essentially, He owns us now. He bought us. So everything you think you own is already His!

So it's not 10% anymore. All your marbles are belong to Jesus. It is 100% and so we better be asking how shall I spend your (my) paycheck Lord?

Will the Lord reject a 10% tithe nowadays? No way! I have tested this and He does open the floodgates of heavens blessings upon you for being obedient to the tithe. Even only a 10% tithe. I'm reminded od the prable of the Talents, which tells us to, do what we can, anything. Just not nothing!

The last church that I called my own did not ever pass the plate in the services. The had standing wooden lock boxes set up and you can give or tithe there if you want. I can't recall them ever asking for donations in a service or anytime. This church also had the biggest community outreach of any church in the city. They have boxes for clothing donations set up and they also had a Pantry to give out free food to the needful.

It's obvious that they held to faith in God rather than hawk the congregation for money. So God blessed them, obviously. A church where the Pastor wears blue jeans and a button up shirt, no 600 $ suit!

Best church I've even been a member of.
Rocky Mountain Calvary Chapel, Colorado Springs.

Pay them a visit if you're ever in the Springs...His message is true.

I remember the very first time that I walked into their sanctuary. The presence of the Holy Spirit was soo strong that I almost hit the floor. Total peace. RMCC is a church extroidinaire!

The Bible tells us that there is only ONE body. Eph 4. And that the body is the church so the Bible tells us that there is only ONE church. So why do I see a different “church” on about every corner in America? Did God start all of these “churches”? He said there was one!
The key is....how can a person identify the one true church of God. The one he built. The one he purchased with his own blood. Ac 20:28. You can identify the church the same way you can identify anything else. By its description. If someone stole your car and you wanted the police to find it they would ask you to describe it. You would then give them the make, model, color, license plate, any stickers or other dents or identifying marks. They then can know EXACTLY what to look for. Why can’t we do the same thing with the church?
Let’s try and start with Origin. Jesus said he would build his church. Mt 16:19.
1. When did Jesus build HIS church? It belongs to him and no one else.
We will look this up in the next post.
How many “churches” are there?

There is one catholic and apostolic congregation/assembly/‘church’ (Mt.16:18). Whenever I see terms like [Elim Church], [Church of the Nazarene], [Orthodox Church], etc, I wish that such networks would fundamentally repent of such sin before God, and rebrand. Terms like Church:Elim; Church:Nazarene; Church:Orthodox, etc, would be fine, defining each network/communion type as a subspecies. And the actual prefix, Church, coming from κυριακου/kuriakou (ie ‘of the lord’) should, IMO, only belong to NT specific networks, eg excluding a Church:Mormon as not “of the lord”. Historically, I can see that networks/splits formed, sometimes one party disallowing the other the overall tern, church, so defining themselves exclusively as Church.

At a local level, each Christian network can have many Christian churches, and there is some scope to say that all the Christian churches in any given area can unite to present a one churchness to their community.

On #1. As to identifying what forms a genuine local church/ekklēsia, I’d argue for it having core Christians, and core Christian doctrine. Some are Churchians without being Christians. Ideally we should be both. Jhn.3:3 to me is basic: entrance into the messianic kingdom/church, is only by spiritual birth by the spirit. Core doctrine is welcome of God’s son as messiah. Ac.20:28 speaks of the church as bought by the blood of God’s own [son], redemption.

Back