Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] How old is the Earth?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I've read over the Bible and can see that it says the Earth is 6,000 years old. But I'm not sure I can believe that given the fact we've found species older than that and the fact that dinosaurs should still be around.

I've read over the Bible and can see that it says the Earth is 6,000 years old. But I'm not sure I can believe that given the fact we've found species older than that and the fact that dinosaurs should still be around.
As far as I am aware, the Bible actually says no such thing. This age is calculated on the back of numerous assumptions as to what is meant in the Bible in terms of the days of creation, whether 'generations' recorded are complete, what is or is not metaphorical, what is or is not allegorical, etc. The majority of Christians do not appear to view biblically-calculated ages for Earth and the Universe as of any scientific value at all, in other words the evidence in what they see as God's creation trumps an idiosyncratically interpreted understanding of stories written down by fallible men living in a pre-scientific culture with only a limited understanding of the natural world.

My guess is about 4 billion years. To be honest it really depends on how you interpet Genesis, because the Bible doesnt mention how old the earth nor the universe actually is.

It says he made man on the seventh day. The sun is shrinking if it had been at its full "supposed" size when God made man then the Earth would of been burnt.

It says he made man on the seventh day. The sun is shrinking if it had been at its full "supposed" size when God made man then the Earth would of been burnt.
Can you elaborate what you mean? What would have been its full 'supposed' size, what is the rate of shrinkage, where do you derive this from and when, in relation to all this, was man supposedly created?

man was made on day six. . . not day seven.

As for "the shrinking sun", this is from a long list of pseudo-scientific misunderstandings that are easily debunked.

As for how old the earth is. . . . I have no idea. It is ancient, I know that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you elaborate what you mean? What would have been its full 'supposed' size, what is the rate of shrinkage, where do you derive this from and when, in relation to all this, was man supposedly created?
http://www.icr.org/article/sun-shrinking/ man was made 6,000 years ago or somewhere around that time.
man was made on day six. . . not day seven.

As for "the shrinking sun", this is from a long list of pseudo-scientific misunderstandings that are easily debunked.

As for how old the earth is. . . . I have no idea. It is ancient, I know that.
The Earth is 6,000 years old in accordance to the Bible. There was no sin or dying during the Garden of Edens time therefor no dinosaurs could of died before that which means they lived with man. Which brings me the the point that you can make oil in 5 minutes not 1 million years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Abide by the rules of this forum, leave the insults out or infractions will be issued. This is a Christian forums that is to be a safe haven for Christians. If you can't handle that then don't post in this thread.

The Sun Is Shrinking man was made 6,000 years ago or somewhere around that time.

The Earth is 6,000 years old in accordance to the Bible. There was no sin or dying during the Garden of Edens time therefor no dinosaurs could of died before that which means they lived with man. Which brings me the the point that you can make oil in 5 minutes not 1 million years.

There is no relevant or credible evidence showing the earth as only being 6,000 - 10,000 years old. It is merely those who want their story correct, then making up these silly notions to fit their side. Contrary to what some believe, there is no conspiracy from those in the scientific community. If the earth was 6,000 years old, evidence would show it conclusively. It just doesn't.

There are places online that address why these pseudo-scientific points wrong. If you are interested in the ACTUAL truth, you owe it to yourself to discover what actually IS truth.

As for "the garden of eden and nothing dying", that just doesn't comport with multiple fields of study.

There is no relevant or credible evidence showing the earth as only being 6,000 - 10,000 years old. It is merely those who want their story correct, then making up these silly notions to fit their side. Contrary to what some believe, there is no conspiracy from those in the scientific community. If the earth was 6,000 years old, evidence would show it conclusively. It just doesn't.

There are places online that address why these pseudo-scientific points wrong. If you are interested in the ACTUAL truth, you owe it to yourself to discover what actually IS truth.

As for "the garden of eden and nothing dying", that just doesn't comport with multiple fields of study.
Well they've done a good job at hiding the Evolution lies so why could they not hide this lie? The Earth can't be millions of years old because we we're pumping oil out of it at this exact moment.

eric, they wont see that. they dont want to. theres a lot of contraversy on the formation of the grand canyon, its not that settled here.

Rethinking the Formation of The Grand Canyon!

its all conjecture based on the forensical view of historical science.
we all look for what we want to find evidence for the accused man we think did the crime.

This article and its conclusions seem to be based on inaccurate data from an abstract published more than 30 years ago and on a raft of unsupported assumptions. Ironically, an article published in Nature in the same year (Vol. 288, 11 December 1980) as the reference one used for this shrinking-sun claim - The constancy of the solar diameter over the past 250 years by J.H. Parkinson, L.V. Morrison and F.R. Stephenson - shows exactly why the earlier report was at fault. Naturally this paper is ignored by the ICR article.
...man was made 6,000 years ago or somewhere around that time.
And all the evidence to the contrary suggests what to you?
The Earth is 6,000 years old in accordance to the Bible.
That would be 'in accordance to' an idiosyncratic and minority-based fallible human interpretation of the Bible. The majority of Christians appear to disagree with this idiosyncratic minority interpretation.
There was no sin or dying during the Garden of Edens time therefor no dinosaurs could of died before that which means they lived with man.
And what do you make of all the evidence that shows that humans and dinosaurs did not co-exist?
Which brings me the the point that you can make oil in 5 minutes not 1 million years.
And your evidence is what exactly? Oil can take tens of thousands of years to migrate from where it is formed to the reservoirs from which it is exploited.

Well they've done a good job at hiding the Evolution lies...
What 'lies' are these, then, and who are 'they' who are doing the hiding?
...so why could they not hide this lie?
Conspiracy theories alone are not evidential.
The Earth can't be millions of years old because we we're pumping oil out of it at this exact moment.
How does this follow? There seems to be no logical connect between the conclusion and the evidence that supposedly drives it.

eric, they wont see that. they dont want to. theres a lot of contraversy on the formation of the grand canyon, its not that settled here.

Rethinking the Formation of The Grand Canyon!

its all conjecture based on the forensical view of historical science.
we all look for what we want to find evidence for the accused man we think did the crime.
Umm, no, in this case we look for evidence that either supports or falsifies a particular hypothesis. None of the comments in the article you referenced (your link does not work, btw) appears to put forward the idea that the Grand Canyon was formed as a consequence of a global flood of biblical proportions occurring in recent historical times or to suggest that there is any evidence that supports such an idea.

Oh it's somewhere between 6000 and 7000 years old.

Pretty darn old if you ask me! :lol

Not sure how I follow your line about dinosaurs. They also have no ability to date (with carbon dating) anything beyond roughly 6000 years old. Convenient? I think not...

Oh it's somewhere between 6000 and 7000 years old.
Maybe you should go tell the long-dead spirits of the Haifan Culture (c. 18-15,000 BC) of this surprising fact.
Pretty darn old if you ask me! :lol
Or pretty darn young, depending on how you look at it.
Not sure how I follow your line about dinosaurs. They also have no ability to date (with carbon dating) anything beyond roughly 6000 years old. Convenient? I think not...
Carbon 14 dating can be used to date items up to at least 40-50,000 years old; greater precision and more accurate instruments are pushing this date further back in time. Check out the Wiki article at en. wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating or Radiometric Dating - A Christian Perspective by Dr. Roger C. Wiens at www. asa3.org/ASA/resources/wiens.html#page%2012

What 'lies' are these, then, and who are 'they' who are doing the hiding?

Conspiracy theories alone are not evidential.

How does this follow? There seems to be no logical connect between the conclusion and the evidence that supposedly drives it.

Lies such as how Evolution is 'proven' and Evolutionists are 'they' doing the hiding. It's not a conspiracy theory it is an actual statement, or at least that's what my biologist teacher says and shes taught Evolution for THIRTY YEARS.

Maybe you should go tell the long-dead spirits of the Haifan Culture (c. 18-15,000 BC) of this surprising fact.

Or pretty darn young, depending on how you look at it.

Carbon 14 dating can be used to date items up to at least 40-50,000 years old; greater precision and more accurate instruments are pushing this date further back in time. Check out the Wiki article at en. wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocarbon_dating or Radiometric Dating - A Christian Perspective by Dr. Roger C. Wiens at www. asa3.org/ASA/resources/wiens.html#page%2012
Carbon dating is extremely unreliable. But do look over the internet a lot of researchers have done carbon dating and have found that dinosaur bones fit with the Biblical time period but instead of publishing that they stayed with their millions of years old theory.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back