Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

How to go to Heaven

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
He said to them, "Go into all the world, and preach the Good News to the whole creation.
He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who disbelieves will be condemned.

Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
And they said, Believe on the Lord Yeshua the Messiah, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
And they spake unto him the word of the LORD, and to all that were in his house.
And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway.
And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house.

He who believes in him is not judged. He who doesn't believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Acts 15 really covers this beautifully:

And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, [and said], Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.
When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question.
And being brought on their way by the church, they passed through Phenice and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the Gentiles: and they caused great joy unto all the brethren.
And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the church, and [of] the apostles and elders, and they declared all things that God had done with them.
But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command [them] to keep the law of Moses.
And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.
And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men [and] brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as [he did] unto us;
And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.
Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.
And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men [and] brethren, hearken unto me:
Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.
Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and [from] fornication, and [from] things strangled, and [from] blood.

For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.
Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; [namely], Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren:
And they wrote [letters] by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren [send] greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia:
Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, [Ye must] be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no [such] commandment:
It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell [you] the same things by mouth.
For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
So when they were dismissed, they came to Antioch: and when they had gathered the multitude together, they delivered the epistle:
[Which] when they had read, they rejoiced for the consolation.
And Judas and Silas, being prophets also themselves, exhorted the brethren with many words, and confirmed [them].

9And Yeshua answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The LORD our God is one LORD:

30And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Romans 8:3-4

For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.

Matthew 7:12

In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Matthew 22:37-40

And He said to him, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND. This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

16And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

20The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?

21Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

22But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.

23Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

26But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

27Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore?

28And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

29And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

30But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

Matthew 25

1Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

2And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.

3They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:

4But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

5While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.

6And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.

7Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

8And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.

9But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.

10And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

11Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

12But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.

13Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

14For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.

15And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.

16Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.

17And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.

18But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.

19After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.

20And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.

21His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

22He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.

23His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

24Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:

25And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.

26His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:

27Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.

28Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

29For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.

30And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

31When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
33And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.

For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be disappointed.

And the Meaning of Life: Here it is, folks. Straight from the mouth of the wisest man, King Solomon.

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

The most common answer you hear to that question is something along the lines of "Accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and savior". That isn't in the Bible though. Here's what the Bible actually says about it:

1. Keep the commandments (Matt. 19:16-17)[/*:m:1xyuv7fe]
  2. Forsake all and follow Christ (Matt. 19:21)[/*:m:1xyuv7fe]
  3. Repent (Acts 2:38)[/*:m:1xyuv7fe]
  4. Be baptized (Acts 2:38)[/*:m:1xyuv7fe]
  5. Confess that Jesus is Lord (Rom. 10:9)[/*:m:1xyuv7fe]
  6. Believe that God raised Christ from the dead (Rom. 10:9)[/*:m:1xyuv7fe]
  7. Overcome (Rev. 2:7)[/*:m:1xyuv7fe]

*Theo puts on flame proof suit and prepares for a barage of posts saying "For by grace ye are saved, through faith".

Yes, I know about those verses, and it is true that we are saved by grace. But grace does not negate the things in that list nor are those things intended to be in addition to faith. But a true, saving faith will either derive from or lead to every item on that list.

I would say that repentance, baptism, commandment keeping, good works, despising one's own life to follow Christ, sacrificing personal gains, and if there be any other thing; it is the fingerprint of the Holy Spirit stamped upon the heart of the genuine believer. I do not believe Commandments of the Law and good works have any direct leverage in mechanics of salvation in and of itself, but show the working of the Holy spirit on you. As it is written:

This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

So, Paul testifies that believers, who were sanctified by the Holy Spirit unto salvation received the Spirit without the works of the Law, (Gentiles having no knowledge of the Law) Therefore, because the Spirit came on them independent of the Law, the workings of the Law are not factored by the Holy Spirit when it is anointed on a believer--and if the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in a man, that man can not be condemned. These things are the working of the Holy Spirit on one who is already saved. Salvation comes by the promise; as it it is written: Now this I say: A covenant confirmed beforehand by God, the law, which came four hundred and thirty years after, doth not disannul, so as to make the promise of none effect. 3:18For if the inheritance is of the law, it is no more of promise: but God hath granted it to Abraham by promise.

The scripture cannot be broken.

A man who has been germinated by a disease will cough and vomit and is given to fever.

A man who has been germinated by the Holy Spirit unto the salvation of Messiah will perform good works and keep the commandments of God and choose the things which please the LORD, knowing his will and approving the things which are more excellent in the Law:

What then is the advantage of obedience to the commandments and good works? For rewards. Those who will be greatest at the LORD's return, will be those who honored him the most in this life. Salvation is by grace, but prosperity and majesty under the LORD is dispensed according to works.

And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them. Revelation 13:14

Romans 2

1Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

2But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.

3And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?

4Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

5But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

6Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

7To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

8But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

9Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;

10But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

11For there is no respect of persons with God.

12For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;

13(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

14For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

15Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

16In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

17Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,

18And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law;

19And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness,

20An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law.

21Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?

22Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?

23Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?

24For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.

25For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.

26Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?

27And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?

28For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:

29But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Theofilus said:
The most common answer you hear to that question is something along the lines of "Accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and savior". That isn't in the Bible though. Here's what the Bible actually says about it:

1. Keep the commandments (Matt. 19:16-17)[/*:m:1ocex0tt]
  2. Forsake all and follow Christ (Matt. 19:21)[/*:m:1ocex0tt]
  3. Repent (Acts 2:38)[/*:m:1ocex0tt]
  4. Be baptized (Acts 2:38)[/*:m:1ocex0tt]
  5. Confess that Jesus is Lord (Rom. 10:9)[/*:m:1ocex0tt]
  6. Believe that God raised Christ from the dead (Rom. 10:9)[/*:m:1ocex0tt]
  7. Overcome (Rev. 2:7)[/*:m:1ocex0tt]

*Theo puts on flame proof suit and prepares for a barage of posts saying "For by grace ye are saved, through faith".

Yes, I know about those verses, and it is true that we are saved by grace. But grace does not negate the things in that list nor are those things intended to be in addition to faith. But a true, saving faith will either derive from or lead to every item on that list.
Not from me.. that was dead on correct. There is no eternal salvation w/o keeping the commandments of Jesus, the ones found in our covenant (Mat.19:17; Jn.14:15-24; 15:14; 8:31; Heb.5:9; 2 Thes.1:8-9; 1 Pt.4:17-19; 1 Jn.2:3-6; 3:10; 2 Jn.9; 3 Jn.11; Rev.22:14; etc). :thumb

Well, when I Googled this question the first link I got was to the Mormon church... so this just proves Google is a useless tool.

Anyways, though I'd like to agree with Theo, I am going to have to disagree. :shrug Though I wonder if I want to agree because I normally do or for some other reason :confused

The route to Heaven is a long and painful route. It is full of twists, turns, and dead-ends. We will make mistakes on this route but we have a GPS that will never lead us stray, and never tells you that it's "finding more satellites..."

"I want this GPS!!!"

Don't we all? Luckily it is a very, very cheap GPS. It only costs your entire life. :thumb You give your life for our Lord, Elohim, and He will give you His very Spirit to guide you on your path to Heaven.

Giving your life only takes a truly faithful and believing heart. Confess that Jesus is your Lord and Savior and that He came as the fulfillment of Law. Repent for all your sins against God, your Father. Then just open the door and let Jesus and the Spirit come on in!

The reason I do not agree with Theo is now becoming clear. Many of the things he listed are not things you do, but things the Spirit does through you. When you receive the Spirit you are born anew. The Spirit will guide you to baptism (though not always). The Spirit will lead you down a path that fulfills the Law. The Spirit will help you forsake all others.

Man, the Holy Spirit is like a super cheat-sheet to life! :amen

Good works and following the commandments of God are inseparable from the life of a believer. That said, I think they are separate members of a whole-- that is to say the faculty of grace and the faculty of works. Just as the legislature, judiciary, and executive are different faculties of one government-- all having their legitimate fitting and purpose; one no more vital than the other. Yet, it is not the role of the judiciary to write laws, but to interpret. Its not the role of the legislature to enforce the law, but to write them. It's not the role of the executive to interpret the law. So it is not the role of the Law of Moses and of good works to give life, but to show man how to abide therein. It is not the role of grace to give occasion to living a life according to the vain pleasure of man, but to give man hope IN SPITE of his vanity and weakness. As Paul and James say, he who fails at one point fails in every point and is guilty of all. I was not long ago of this same belief, so it's not a foreign theology.

Please explain this to me, in the interpretation of works having a part in salvation (Rather than revealing who false 'christians' who never believed in the first place such as judas)

Romans 4

4:1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?

4:2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath [whereof] to glory; but not before God.

4:3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

4:4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

4:6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

4:7 [Saying], Blessed [are] they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

4:8 Blessed [is] the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

4:9 [Cometh] this blessedness then upon the circumcision [only], or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.

4:10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.

4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which [he had yet] being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

4:12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which [he had] being [yet] uncircumcised.

4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, [was] not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

4:14 For if they which are of the law [be] heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:

4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, [there is] no transgression.

4:16 Therefore [it is] of faith, that [it might be] by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

4:17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, [even] God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

4:18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.

4:19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:

4:20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;

4:21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.

4:22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

4:23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;

4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

4:25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

What about what Ephesians says about the righteousness of Christ...

Spiritual Blessings in Christ
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us 1 for adoption through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known 1 to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee 1 of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, 2 to the praise of his glory.

...Grace is sometimes overlooked on this forum

Oats said:
What about what Ephesians says about the righteousness of Christ...

Spiritual Blessings in Christ
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us 1 for adoption through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known 1 to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ 10 as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.

11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will, 12 so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of his glory. 13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee 1 of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, 2 to the praise of his glory.

...Grace is sometimes overlooked on this forum
1.Keep the commandments (Matt. 19:16-17)
2.Forsake all and follow Christ (Matt. 19:21)
3.Repent (Acts 2:38)
4.Be baptized (Acts 2:38)
5.Confess that Jesus is Lord (Rom. 10:9)
6.Believe that God raised Christ from the dead (Rom. 10:9)
7.Overcome (Rev. 2:7)

Grace is inferred by #3

The reason some of us didn't just use John 3:16 or Eph.2:8-9 is b/c there is more to it than that. If you make a gospel of salvation out of that alone, then you come up with MANY beliefs of grace that are contrary to the Word. Most people, in my opinion, use human reasoning to fill in gaps in their beliefs instead of taking the time to search it out in the Word. They make claims of what grace does that the Holy Spirit NEVER says, much less confirms. What does the Bible say grace does and does not do? This would be terrific homework for you to do in order to not let any "man of God" lead you in a false doctrine of OSAS

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matt 4:17 RSV
The answer, I believe, is: Repent (Turn away from you sin).

I personally have yet to find a place in the Bible that actually describes how to "get to heaven", in regards to a place you go when you die. There is a lot about entering the "kingdom of heaven", and how to be "saved", but those are things that can and have been taken multiple ways throughout the ages.

To be saved, we must repent and have faith in Jesus as our savior. As for what we have to "do" to be saved, I think the answer is nothing, or else to ask. You can't repent or believe on your own. If you could, it would be a work and we would be saved only because we met the requirements of salvation. I think that repentance and faith are either given to one unexpectedly, or else they are something that we have to seek and ask for.

As for following the commandments and overcoming sin, I think that comes as a result of being saved. We aren't saved by doing them, but we do them as a result of being saved. We are saved by faith and not by works, but our faith is evidenced by our works.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back