Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Husbands who fear their wives

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
But maybe you are right about guys getting remarried............maybe they can, but women can't?
The woman is free to remarry, too, if her unbelieving spouse leaves:
"15Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases" (1 Corinthians 7:15 NASB bold mine)

1 Corinthians 7:10-11 To the married I give this command (not I , but the Lord) : A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.
Obviously, her leaving her husband and remarrying is adultery:

12and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery.” Mark 10:12 NASB.

But when the wife leaves but does not remarry is the husband who then remarries committing adultery (even though he is entitled to remarry)? The wife is in effect causing the husband to commit adultery (but which God does not hold against him), just as surely as his leaving causes her to commit adultery:

"32but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery" (Matthew 5:32 NASB bold mine)

Why would that not also be true for the woman who divorces/ leaves her husband?
I think it's okay to conclude that the woman leaving but remaining unmarried causes her ex-spouse to then commit adultery if/when he remarries. Her remaining unmarried has no bearing on the fact that any future marriage the ex-husband enters into is adulterous for him, and caused by the woman leaving but not remarrying (but not held against him by reason of abandonment).

The woman is free to remarry, too, if her unbelieving spouse leaves:
"15Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases" (1 Corinthians 7:15 NASB bold mine)
I don't read it that way. We are not under guilt of divorce if the unbelieving spouse leaves. It doesn't mean we are able to remarry.
Why would that not also be true for the woman who divorces/ leaves her husband?
I think it's okay to conclude that the woman leaving but remaining unmarried causes her ex-spouse to then commit adultery if/when he remarries. Her remaining unmarried has no bearing on the fact that any future marriage the ex-husband enters into is adulterous for him, and caused by the woman leaving but not remarrying (but not held against him by reason of abandonment).
I'm unsure of what you are conveying here. A believing spouse should never get a divorce. And if they are left by an unbelieving spouse, they should not get remarried. It is not held against a believer if an unbeliever leaves, but that doesn't give us the okay to remarry.

1Co 7:10 And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband:
1Co 7:11 But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife.
1Co 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.
1Co 7:13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
1Co 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
1Co 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.
50 years ago i searched and searched for a scriptural way out of marriage..... He was not adulterous and did not want to leave....so i was stuck... so i have done my best over the years .. I believe it is extremely sinful to be a witch in the effort to make him want to leave.. so it will be 53 years in March.. Not to imply i am not a witch at times .. :)

50 years ago i searched and searched for a scriptural way out of marriage..... He was not adulterous and did not want to leave....so i was stuck... so i have done my best over the years .. I believe it is extremely sinful to be a witch in the effort to make him want to leave.. so it will be 53 years in March.. Not to imply i am not a witch at times .. :)
I appreciate you with this walk of faith.

Classik,
You're from a different world,
Er, I mean country.
So you may not realize what a strong word "dread" is.
No one here dreads their wife.
They're just terrified of her.
Er, I mean, they really love her.
Dread plus :chin
You sure don't understand Classik's use of words and smilies

50 years ago i searched and searched for a scriptural way out of marriage..... He was not adulterous and did not want to leave....so i was stuck...
Lol, sounds like my wife.
In our case it's been disheartening that despite my growth in the Lord she still keeps me at arms length. :lol...................:neutral...................:cries

I don't read it that way. We are not under guilt of divorce if the unbelieving spouse leaves. It doesn't mean we are able to remarry.
I'm sure Paul is talking about no longer being bound in regard to marital obligation, not bound in regard to guilt over the failed marriage. The context supports the issue of marital obligation, not the issue of guilt and culpability for the unbeliever leaving.

I'm unsure of what you are conveying here. A believing spouse should never get a divorce. And if they are left by an unbelieving spouse, they should not get remarried. It is not held against a believer if an unbeliever leaves, but that doesn't give us the okay to remarry.
I was responding to what you said here:
But maybe you are right about guys getting remarried............maybe they can, but women can't?

1 Corinthians 7:10-11 To the married I give this command (not I , but the Lord) : A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.
A woman only has to stay unmarried if she leaves her husband when she has no grounds for a divorce, but leaves anyway. But the confusion in Paul's counsel comes in when we consider that her leaving, whether she stays single or not, causes the man to then commit adultery by him remarrying (as he is entitled to do).

Does Paul want the woman to stay unmarried in order to not be in adultery after leaving her husband without cause? But what does that matter if she makes herself guilty of causing her husband to commit adultery by her leaving? See my point?

Last edited:
When two get married in a church, they both state that they are Christian.
IF one of them turns out to be an unbeliever, it means they LIED and got married under false pretenses.
If a marrige is performed under false pretenses, it is NOT a marriage.

If it was KNOWN that one of the spouses was an unbeliever, then it is a marriage and even if the unbeliever abandons it, they are still the spouse. You cannot have two spouses in this life.

The relationship of marriage cannot be ended except for Jesus' instruction.
I've been to many a wedding in church where neither are not beleivers and therefore neither have lied, yet the vicar/pastor talks from the bible and finished with "With what God as bought together let no man put asunder"

I don't recall any wedding ceremonies where the question is asked "Are you both beleivers"

So in the eyes of God are they married or not?

I've been to many a wedding in church where neither are not beleivers and therefore neither have lied, yet the vicar/pastor talks from the bible and finished with "With what God as bought together let no man put asunder"

I don't recall any wedding ceremonies where the question is asked "Are you both beleivers"

There's much to be said here.
I need my computer...later.

I never liked this idea.
A person should not be "on their best behavior".
We should always act like ourselves. This way there will never
be any surprise. Also, getting comfortable to me means - taking for granted.
Married couples should never take each other for granted. They should live as if one is
going to die and the other will be left with a conscience to live with.
Also, Ephesians 4.26
Do not be angry for long.

Wondering

I agree. If we act like ourselves then we act according to our character. Our character as believers is to manifest the fruit of the Holy Spirit.

I want to walk in the fruit of the Holy Spirit and sometimes I don't. My wife recognises my desire so when I don't she knows that is not my character, I have reacted in a way that I wouldn't want to. I'm the same with her.

That actually helps because we realise that if we act out of character then something has caused this. It can be something as simple as being tired, worried etc.

We can then approach each other when the time is right with "You reacted/did/said something that normally you wouldn't do, wanna talk?

To be honest that brings me to place to talk and also her.

Last edited:

"What therefore God has joined together" (Matthew 19:6 NASB) is not referring to any one specific couple who become one flesh, but rather is referring to the institution of marriage itself-a male and a female becoming one flesh. When a man and a woman get married they are doing what God intended by design that male and female do. What God has joined together, by virtue of being male and female, we are not to separate. The passage has nothing to do with specific couples God himself has set aside to be man and wife and which we are not to then un-join.

Last edited:
"What therefore God has joined together" (Matthew 19:6 NASB) is not referring to any one specific couple who become one flesh, but rather is referring to the institution of marriage itself-a male and a female becoming one flesh. When a man and a woman get married they are doing what God intended by design that male and female do. We are not to separate what God has joined together by virtue of being male and female. The passage has nothing to do with specific couples God himself has set aside to be man and wife and which we are not to then un-join together.
That doesn't really answer (in my mind) my response to post by Wondering?
Wondering posted that when two get married in church they are stating they are Christian, if it turns out one is not or lied then it's not a marriage.

God has instituted marriage but my question was based on what Wondering said "it's not a marriage"

Wondering so you know I'm not getting at you. I just want to get your understanding on your post.

What constitutes marriage anyway?
I'm not sure when Adam & Eve came together that God would have made them take vows.
They became one flesh, was that by taking vows or by having sex.

When I married my wife we had not had sex before taking our vows.
On our wedding night we had sex.

So at what point were we married?

Last edited:
2065.jpg
thought i was reading Brother Mike

Wondering posted that when two get married in church they are stating they are Christian, if it turns out one is not or lied then it's not a marriage.
Which can not possibly be true since getting marriage is in no way shape or form a declaration of being a believer. It's a vow to be joined together in accordance with the male and femaleness God instituted. That's all.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back