Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] I long to have gifts of Holy Spirit

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hey , I am happy for your dad!

Could you explain this responsibilities more a bit? Did you mean that God would expect more of me when I have these gifts or that I might try to save someone with my own strength and then be disappointed? I mean if I would get all 9 gifts today and not use these in any of situations where I could have used them would I go to hell for that?
step back and let the spirit lead you. the gifts are for the edifying of others. to many think they have the GIFTs BUT operate in the flesh.. your jumping the ahead of your self. read pray ask God to show you what should be done. listen to the still small voice

.... that I might try to save someone with my own strength and then be disappointed?
Exactly! You can't "Save someone" at all, neither can I. All we can do is lead people to the Lord, and often, even that is impossible!

I mean if I would get all 9 gifts today and not use these in any of situations where I could have used them would I go to hell for that?
No. I see no basis in scripture for thinking that. You can't even KNOW how people will react to you, neither can I. Only the Lord Himself knows something like that.

These things are not in our hands OR in our power.

I dont think that would be a huge issue with me. I mean I know that it is up to God. But even if 1 or 2 person out of 100 would agree to accept Jesus after God heals them trough gift of healing He put in me I would still be happy about it. It wouldn't matter to me that 99 will even ignore this. After all I have done my part - talked to them and used supernatural stuff to make them think again before refusing the God. And if they still refuse Him it's not my fault anymore.

To be honest right now I wouldn't go out to streets to do the open-air preaching but I would still like to know how it feels to pray in tongues. I dont want it to prove myself anything. But just to see how it works and feel how it is to speak in tongues. And sometimes when it's difficult to put my prayer request in human language I could just pray in tongues. Just out of curiosity: suppose I had gift of tongues and used it only because I was too lazy to express myself in human language.... would it be bad/sin? Well anyways If any of you wishes you may pray on this!

Now coming back to open-air preaching. I have not done them sofar but I have joined friends who do this. They have gifts of preaching and teaching. If I could support them with some more supernatural gifts such as healing or word of knowledge I could deal with those who sincerely don't know whether to believe or not. Here I would ask again that you guys pray for this. But more importantly pray for me that once I have these gifts I wouldn't become proud of myself. Because it is better to go heaven with out having any gifts at all than going to hell having all the gifts.

How much prayer does it usually take? Like something easier such as tongues? Like 2 weeks of dayly prayer? Or what is the time period for u guys that it has taken to get it?

If you're talking about "tongues" I think as we see it today it's largely a "monkey see, monkey do" situation. A lot of acting going on. Not much of it worth anything.

Paul said he'd rather speak 5 words with understanding.

1 Corinthians 14:19
Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

Nevertheless, if some believers think that imbues them with special powers, so be it according to their imaginations. I gave up the practice years ago, as an unnecessary side feature. And today, I generally distrust this form of spiritual muscle flexing amongst the believing masses. Many charismatics wouldn't have a clue about solid doctrines if it poked them square in the eye and will likewise believe just about any form of nonsense, like "holy laughter" and so forth. Complete bunch of monkeys imho. I think they actually give themselves up to some kinds of entertaining weirdO spirits in themselves or mass hypnosis, powers of suggestion/group think/act, etc etc. and before the service is ended the slick talker is gonna lift a few bucks from them all.

Bunch of fleshly hogwash

How much prayer does it usually take? Like something easier such as tongues? Like 2 weeks of dayly prayer? Or what is the time period for u guys that it has taken to get it?
The Spirit (God) gives it to anyone that wills. some have received it the exact moment they got converted. it took some a while to get it. some already got it but didnt know they already did - until they were overwhelmed with the manifestation. HE will do it at HIS own time.

If you're talking about "tongues" I think as we see it today it's largely a "monkey see, monkey do" situation. A lot of acting going on. Not much of it worth anything.
Yes I have thought that also that how hard can it be..... I expect that God would make it happen supernaturally to me, but of course anyone can just make up random words and then say that he has gift. Which is one reason why I am looking to have some more supernatural gifts that no one may say that I made it up or it's the result of my great efforts.

Father, thank You for LPTSTR. Thank You that He is your sheep and he knows Your voice (jn 10). Father we ask that You will manifest Yourself into his life in a mighty way. Thank You Father that he desires more of You. And thank You for surrounding him in Your peace and presence. In Jesus Name, Amen

Back