Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

I often wonder why

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Just as a matter of awareness, I believe there are about 10 Protestant denominations that teach they are the one true church. It might be more than 10, or less, but it's a bunch. I used to belong to one of them, the "Churches of Christ".

One reason is because the RCC teaches that they are the one true church. Others are offended by this position.
imo, we are both wrong.

My sister-in-law was raised RCC, my brother-in-law converted. I personally believe she is saved. My husband's brother, I'm not so sure. She walks a Christian walk and I love her. But every now and then she expresses her concern for the rest of us in family that are saved because we are not RCC. She doesn't see us as saved.
I never bring up the subject with her, none of us do. We know she loves us and her concern is so real that sometimes she is almost in tears. If she brings up different doctrine and you take out your Bible to show her the scripture why you believe that Jesus is the only mediator she gets upset.
Now I think the leaders of the RCC are getting better about not dividing the Body. They've realized that we a have a common threat in the world, not in each other and we need to unite under Christ, not denominations. But the idea hasn't reach all their members.
I think it is the same with Protestant denominations we all need to wake up.
I thought the Jehovah Witness say they are the one true Church and that the 144,000 that go to heaven is going to be them.

I thought the Jehovah Witness say they are the one true Church and that the 144,000 that go to heaven is going to be them.

I don't count them, imo, they are a cult. They don't believe Jesus is God come in the flesh, or that one is saved by grace and faith. Everyone I have talked to believes their salvation is totally and completely by works.
I feel really bad for them.

Just as a matter of awareness, I believe there are about 10 Protestant denominations that teach they are the one true church. It might be more than 10, or less, but it's a bunch. I used to belong to one of them, the "Churches of Christ".

I didn't know that there were that many.

I don't count them, imo, they are a cult. They don't believe Jesus is God come in the flesh, or that one is saved by grace and faith. Everyone I have talked to believes their salvation is totally and completely by works.
I feel really bad for them.

I didn't know that there were that many.
Like I said, "more or less".... and likely much more since many of the Independent Apostolic Churches all over the place also make that claim.

I have often found that particular claim to be indicative of churches that are highly legalistic and seem to feel it is necessary to have huge amounts of written laws and rules that are sometimes nearly as large in volume as the Bible, itself, or even larger in some cases. (There are less than 2,000 pages in the average Bible, should you want to compare that with any rule books you know about for a particular denomination.)

Last edited:
The question that comes to my mind when I read the title of this thread is why do we not get along with Catholics despite our differences BUT we are able to get along with other protestant denominations despite our differences?

Just read through the A&T forum and we can read about many of our differences yet we are generally able to keep those discussions civil for the most part but when it comes to RCC discussion we go off the deep end so bad that the staff has been forced to limit the topics.

Personally, I think it has a lot to do with pride.

It is easier to freely discuss and criticise Islam or Atheism here than catholicism.
This is the original question that was raised with the OP.Classik was wondering why discussing the RCC is such a touchy subject.

The question that comes to my mind when I read the title of this thread is why do we not get along with Catholics despite our differences BUT we are able to get along with other protestant denominations despite our differences?

Just read through the A&T forum and we can read about many of our differences yet we are generally able to keep those discussions civil for the most part but when it comes to RCC discussion we go off the deep end so bad that the staff has been forced to limit the topics.

Yes, I think it is pride.
But whose pride?
The one who reads the Bible and sees that they are right in what they believe?
Or the one who does not read the Bible and follows what man says?

Yes, I think it is pride.
But whose pride?
The one who reads the Bible and sees that they are right in what they believe?
Or the one who does not read the Bible and follows what man says?
Pride?

So you are saying that it is pride that makes us see differently regarding the Catholics?Maybe be abusive in judging them?

Pride?

So you are saying that it is pride that makes us see differently regarding the Catholics?Maybe be abusive in judging them?
You can buy a Roman Catholic Catechism online.
I did.
It's very enlightening as to what Roman Catholics believe and what they think of Protestants in general.

it would be good for learning and debate. I quote things directly from rabbis here and if needed I will post the links to them.

Pride?

An example of what I mean comes from a video clip I recently watched pitting Oprah against an audience of protestants. At one point one of the audience made a statement that drew applause from the rest and the beaming in her eyes couldn't hide the self-important pride she felt.

In my view, if I put myself in Oprah's shoes I would most definitely be turned off by that "Christian" person. As a moderator of the A&T forum I often encounter what appears to be a similar attitude between opponents of discussions.

In my opinion there is no place for that attitude in Christian witnessing. In fact, I believe we are called to just the opposite.

For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. Romans 12:3 NKJV

An example of what I mean comes from a video clip I recently watched pitting Oprah against an audience of protestants. At one point one of the audience made a statement that drew applause from the rest and the beaming in her eyes couldn't hide the self-important pride she felt.

In my view, if I put myself in Oprah's shoes I would most definitely be turned off by that "Christian" person. As a moderator of the A&T forum I often encounter what appears to be a similar attitude between opponents of discussions.

In my opinion there is no place for that attitude in Christian witnessing. In fact, I believe we are called to just the opposite.

For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. Romans 12:3 NKJV
I never do that. nope.never.:biggrin2

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back